Thread: Telaamon

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Telaamon

Not just Telaamon, <Blademaster> Telaamon. I find this is very curious, that there is a Draenei Blademaster in WoW now. Of course this is kinda old news, since he was on Argus, and later on the Vindicaar. But I have seen no one really talk about a Draenei Blademaster. Now there are of course other NPC that use that title, but I think the Warcraft lore mostly used Blademasters in the ranks of the orcs. Samuro, the one from Warcraft 3 even has entered the Nexus, and was, as Samwise Didier said in an interview, the original first pick for a unit in Heroes of the Storm, but hes entry was delayed.
    So Blademaster are not forgotten (in Pandaria there was Ishi ( I think thats how he was named) who followed Garrosh while he hunted for the big Bell, there where also those blind Blademaster in Siege of Ogrimmar) but why is there now a Draenei Blademaster? It is not just a title, he is the real deal, he has the mirror images, you even have to kill in a quest.
    Just a coincident? Why bother to create this character? Why not just use another Vindicator? Would fit the narrative of the Draenei. They established that there are Blademasters, and now, they are on both sides, Horde and Alliance.
    Anyone else thought it was interesting, that they did that?
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas Prime View Post
    Why bother to create this character?
    Because it's cool af

No, seriously: They simply thought "Hey, a Lightforged Draenei Blademaster. It would be cool!" and then they created Telaamon. He uses Mirror Images because it's a cool freature, similar to Outland's Fel Orc Acolytes casting healing spells like those casted by Human Priests.

It's just cool.

7+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else thought it was interesting, that they did that?
    its just a minor character that they got rid off quickly for a campaign quest.

i doubt the blademaster title has any sort of significance other than "look, he is good with swords!"

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Because it's cool af

No, seriously: They simply thought "Hey, a Lightforged Draenei Blademaster. It would be cool!" and then they created Telaamon. He uses Mirror Images because it's a cool freature, similar to Outland's Fel Orc Acolytes casting healing spells like those casted by Human Priests.

It's just cool.
    The Rule of Cool brought us to the substandard place of the current game. As a result, they should stick to coherent stories, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    As of 8.1 Telaamon is dead. He was cool on Argus...Two talbuks clashing horns!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Draenei and Orcs lived peaceably on Draenor for quite some time - although they were never exceedingly close they did a lot of trade. It's possible that the style and practices of the Blademaster came from the Draenei originally and filtered down the Orcs who took it and sort of made it their own.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I really didnt get the whole Oath and Sacrifice thing for the Alliance.

Why did he have to die, or sacrifice himself? Why did he want to die in the hands of the Horde, especially as the Horde helped his people on Argus?
    I never really understood why Nightborne, Highmountain Tauren and Lightforged joined the Faction War in terms of Lore Reasons against one of the factions that only helped them survive during the last Legion invasion, besides players getting these "cool Allied races" to racechange or create alts (aka new money for Blizz).

Oh well, one more WoW character killed for ... almost nothing.
    He could have just mirror image and escaped the Horde, just like many of those alliance suicidal soldiers. Making an alliance army of kamikaze didn't make much sense, as it isn't much Alliance oriented (i could see Sylvanas doing that though... she would just raise them afterwards). I never remembered before BfA the Alliance sending an entire army to their deaths just to create a distraction
    Last edited by RangerDaz; 2019-03-26 at 06:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Telaamon is among the Draenei that left and joined X'era so he left well before the rest of his race arrived on Draenor. He is an expy of Lews Therin Telamon from the Wheel of Time, with a similar morality and the very characteristic blademaster style of that fantasy setting.
    Yes, which is why I said that the Orcs got the idea of Blademasters from the Draenei, who would've had it before them, at least internal to the story of the Warcraft universe.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Yes, which is why I said that the Orcs got the idea of Blademasters from the Draenei, who would've had it before them, at least internal to the story of the Warcraft universe.
    The Burning Blade clan is older than the arrival of the Draenei though.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The Burning Blade clan is older than the arrival of the Draenei though.
    Nothing that says the Burning Blade and Orcish Blademasters came into existence at the same time, though. They could be the clan who originally traded for the info, or came into it somehow, and thereby became synonymous with it.

Every Class, even lore classes, are archetypal in nature and share skill sets for recognizability's sake rather than origination hegemony. Like how there are Scarlet Monks but they have no connection to Pandaren Monks, even if they share skill sets.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Nothing that says the Burning Blade and Orcish Blademasters came into existence at the same time, though. They could be the clan who originally traded for the info, or came into it somehow, and thereby became synonymous with it.
    That's a whole new level of reaching though. The orcish clans emerged roughly 800 years before the First War, and the Draenei crashed roughly 200 years before the First War - so that's 600 years where the established clans already existed, did their thing, established their identities, harnessed the elements etc. There is 0 evidence to back your claim; if anything it's much more likely, that the Draenei observed orcish blademasters just like the Draenei originally (pre-WoD rengari) had learned how to acts as hunters and beastmasters by observing the orcs.

Furthermore during the Mag'har recruitment scenario, we see both Lightbound Orc Blademasters and Lightbound Draenei Blademasters - now we can figure out that those draenei learned how to fight as blademasters from the orcs. Now Telaamon is Lightforged, not Lightbound, but those two aren't really that far from one another. Obviously though, Telamoon never lived on Draenor, but since apparently most of all the Lightforged were - at least - a thousand year old (brilliant storywriting there...) it is far from unlikely that he, and the Army of the Light, didn't spend a year or two watching what Velen was doing, and how he was doing, on Draenor.
    It's obvious that the two had had some form of contact prior Patch 7.3.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    That's a whole new level of reaching though. The orcish clans emerged roughly 800 years before the First War, and the Draenei crashed roughly 200 years before the First War - so that's 600 years where the established clans already existed, did their thing, established their identities, harnessed the elements etc. There is 0 evidence to back your claim; if anything it's much more likely, that the Draenei observed orcish blademasters just like the Draenei originally (pre-WoD rengari) had learned how to acts as hunters and beastmasters by observing the orcs.
    There's no evidence to back the claim either way, really - it was more or less speculation on my part, but it would fit with an ancient Draenei warrior being a Blademaster and using the same techniques we've seen from Orcish Blademasters (implying the use of a similar doctrine or regimen of training). Also possible that as beings with links to a Titanic origin they managed to tap into a similar conduit in powers in parallel, without any direct interaction. Telaamon specifically couldn't have observed any Orcish Blademasters, though, as he's been fighting the war with the Legion since presumably the flight from Argus some 30,000 years ago. As Lightforged, he wouldn't have been among the Draenei who later settled on Draenor, and was instead in the splinter group that went on to become the Army of the Light under Xe'ra.

Furthermore during the Mag'har recruitment scenario, we see both Lightbound Orc Blademasters and Lightbound Draenei Blademasters - now we can figure out that those draenei learned how to fight as blademasters from the orcs. Now Telaamon is Lightforged, not Lightbound, but those two aren't really that far from one another. Obviously though, Telamoon never lived on Draenor, but since apparently most of all the Lightforged were - at least - a thousand year old (brilliant storywriting there...) it is far from unlikely that he, and the Army of the Light, didn't spend a year or two watching what Velen was doing, and how he was doing, on Draenor. It's obvious that the two had had some form of contact prior Patch 7.3.
    Watching what Velen was doing doesn't seem likely to have allowed him to learn a complex martial discipline from a race known for being rather insular and xenophobic, though. I think the theory that Orcish Blademasters trace their discipline back to the Draenei makes more sense in this regard, the Lightbound Orcish Blademasters could've easily learned from the Draenei Blademasters they were allied with at the time, coupled with the fact that there were independent Blademasters (the Burning Blade clan under Azuka Blazefury) already practicing on AU Draenor.

7+ Year Old Account
    that would be goddamn awful, remove something so characteristic of orcs to give to the draeneis

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    that would be goddamn awful, remove something so characteristic of orcs to give to the draeneis
    >Orcs
    >dignity
    Implying Blizz will pick both.

It's false in any case. The Lightforged never went to Draenor so couldn't inspire the orcs.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-03-26 at 10:22 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Because it's cool af
    It's just cool.
    I totally agree with you. I think Blademaster is one of the coolest things in Warcraft. The point is, now we have a Blademaster on both sides for both factions so to speak
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

probably learned it from watching fel orcs in the legion.

if your enemy has something that's powerful and you can copy it, you should.

The Draenei and Orcs lived peaceably on Draenor for quite some time - although they were never exceedingly close they did a lot of trade. It's possible that the style and practices of the Blademaster came from the Draenei originally and filtered down the Orcs who took it and sort of made it their own.
    Yes, its easy to see how they could spin an origin around that for the Draenei and the Orcs. I loved the quests in Nagrand in WoD where you went to the Burning Blade
    (300)

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    I am confused as well as why he let himself die, if I saw the Horde Pc charge me and I was an npc I'd use mirror image and run away.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    I am confused as well as why he let himself die, if I saw the Horde Pc charge me and I was an npc I'd use mirror image and run away.
    He wasn't human and as such he couldn't live with himself?