Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
LastLast
  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    She says that the people in Darnassus were 'countless' and that the people outside of Darnassus, which by definition includes Stormwind were 'too few'. It's pretty cut and dry.

    Your latter point is wrong. When I say "LA has a lot of hipsters, there are too few away from it." the 'it' in this case is 'LA', no matter where I am when making the sentence, because the point of comparison is not where I currently am.
    No.

    When you are in a place with the largest group and say "far to few elswhere" you mean others places. It does matter where you are.
    Last edited by ausoin; 2019-03-30 at 10:22 PM.

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by ausoin View Post
    No.

    When you are in a place with the largest group and say far to few elswhere you mean others places.
    The sentence has Darnassus as its point of comparison, not Stormwind. She doesn't even imply that Stormwind is somehow an exception. Every epithet used in that series of sentences bashes you over the head with how severe this loss of population was and how few remain as a result of torching the tree.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

  3. #183
    Does it really matter if they are few or not? Aparently they have enough army to threaten Orgrimmar if the World Quests are reliable and to take Darkshore. The Horde races are almost extinct and yet they have enough power to cause two powerful wars.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by ausoin View Post
    If you are currently where the largest group of people are in the world, and say "far too few elsewhere" you dont refer to the place you are now.
    The fixed location is not the one she stands on, but the one she reflects from, which is Teldrassil not Stormwind.

  5. #185
    Killed a few ghouls in WC3 then fell in a river. Thats about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The AR- 14 or 15 is a good home defense weapon.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The sentence has Darnassus as its point of comparison, not Stormwind. Every epithet used in that series of sentences bashes you over the head with how severe this loss of population was and how few remain as a result of torching the tree.
    Tyrande is in Stormwind, she says they are far to few elswhere. If you are in LA with the largest group of hipsters and then you say the word elsewhere you wouldnt be refering to LA.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Piekus View Post
    Does it really matter if they are few or not? Aparently they have enough army to threaten Orgrimmar if the World Quests are reliable and to take Darkshore.
    The mission table is non-canon. But even if it wasn't, it matters because we're discussing civilian population, not military. I even made a point of how the military was largely intact after it all and the game tells us as much. It's the civilians who bit the big one.

    @ausoin

    This is a very arbitrary exception you're making, that isn't how people actually speak. She doesn't append any such qualifier that she isn't including where she currently is. She compares the night elves in Darnassus at the time of the burning with all night elves elsewhere, so implicitly also those in Stormwind.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-03-30 at 10:26 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Piekus View Post
    Does it really matter if they are few or not? Aparently they have enough army to threaten Orgrimmar if the World Quests are reliable and to take Darkshore.
    Yes it does, because what is worse a massacre or a full blown genocide?

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    The fixed location is not the one she stands on, but the one she reflects from, which is Teldrassil not Stormwind.
    Yes it is, if you are in one place where the largest group of people you refer to are, then "far too few elsewhere" doesnt include the place you currently are, thats how we talk.

  10. #190
    The Military can breed just like the Civilians. I'm sure they can be restore their numbers in time.

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Piekus View Post
    The Military can breed just like the Civilians. I'm sure they can be restore their numbers in time.
    Sure. They kept a very large population to the point where the aforementioned crowding of Stormwind represented a fraction of their total population and this is after constantly losing for twenty years and previously having the men sleep for centuries or what have you. But unlike civilians, who generally rebuild society, the military is engaged in war where there's attrition.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post

    @ausoin

    This is a very arbitrary exception you're making, that isn't how people actually speak. She doesn't append any such qualifier that she isn't including where she currently is. She compares the night elves in Darnassus at the time of the burning with all night elves elsewhere, so implicitly also those in Stormwind.
    No, if you are in the place where the largest percent of the population is and use the word elsewhere it doesnt refer to place you are now. The largest percent bit is whats important.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Piekus View Post
    The Military can breed just like the Civilians. I'm sure they can be restore their numbers in time.
    Oh just like blood elves they will always be able to field armies, doesn't change the fact they are a decimated race lorewise and that Sylvanas caused a full blown genocide on comparison to what Arthas did to her people.

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Oh just like blood elves they will always be able to field armies, doesn't change the fact they are a decimated race lorewise and that Sylvanas caused a full blown genocide on comparison to what Arthas did to her people.
    Saying it doesnt make it a lore fact. Unless Blizz give an exact count like they did with the BE.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by ausoin View Post
    Saying it doesnt make it a lore fact.
    I take Tyrande's words over yours

  16. #196
    read War of the Ancients

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    I take Tyrande's words over yours
    What words? I dont see a "90 percent died" words in the novel, please qoute it if you had found the line.

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by ausoin View Post
    No, if you are in the place where the largest percent of the population is and use the word elsewhere it doesnt refer to place you are now. The largest percent bit is whats important.
    No percent is mentioned. She mentions 'countless' died. The size of the loss is emphasized heavily. But since we've been circling this for 10 replies now with no progress I'll disengage first, since my point is pretty transparent.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

  19. #199
    Quote Originally Posted by ausoin View Post
    What words? I dont see a "90 percent died" words in the novel, please qoute it if you had found the line.
    Be pedantic over it if you will I don't really care, She says there are far too few left and sylvanas committed genocide, you don't need a percentage to know the intention of these words.

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    No percent is mentioned. She mentions 'countless' died. The size of the loss is emphasized heavily. But since we've been circling this for 10 replies now with more progress I'll disengage first, since my point is pretty transparent.
    She mentions that it was a home to countless people, which I guess it was, but we are reading an truamtised charachters thougths. Still doesnt mention "almost the entire population" died bit anywhere.
    Last edited by ausoin; 2019-03-30 at 10:38 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •