Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The sentence has Darnassus as its point of comparison, not Stormwind. Every epithet used in that series of sentences bashes you over the head with how severe this loss of population was and how few remain as a result of torching the tree.
    Tyrande is in Stormwind, she says they are far to few elswhere. If you are in LA with the largest group of hipsters and then you say the word elsewhere you wouldnt be refering to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Piekus View Post
    Does it really matter if they are few or not? Aparently they have enough army to threaten Orgrimmar if the World Quests are reliable and to take Darkshore.
    The mission table is non-canon. But even if it wasn't, it matters because we're discussing civilian population, not military. I even made a point of how the military was largely intact after it all and the game tells us as much. It's the civilians who bit the big one.

@ausoin

This is a very arbitrary exception you're making, that isn't how people actually speak. She doesn't append any such qualifier that she isn't including where she currently is. She compares the night elves in Darnassus at the time of the burning with all night elves elsewhere, so implicitly also those in Stormwind.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-03-30 at 10:26 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Does it really matter if they are few or not? Aparently they have enough army to threaten Orgrimmar if the World Quests are reliable and to take Darkshore.
    Yes it does, because what is worse a massacre or a full blown genocide?

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    The fixed location is not the one she stands on, but the one she reflects from, which is Teldrassil not Stormwind.
    Yes it is, if you are in one place where the largest group of people you refer to are, then "far too few elsewhere" doesnt include the place you currently are, thats how we talk.

The Military can breed just like the Civilians. I'm sure they can be restore their numbers in time.

The Military can breed just like the Civilians. I'm sure they can be restore their numbers in time.
    Sure. They kept a very large population to the point where the aforementioned crowding of Stormwind represented a fraction of their total population and this is after constantly losing for twenty years and previously having the men sleep for centuries or what have you. But unlike civilians, who generally rebuild society, the military is engaged in war where there's attrition.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

@ausoin

This is a very arbitrary exception you're making, that isn't how people actually speak. She doesn't append any such qualifier that she isn't including where she currently is. She compares the night elves in Darnassus at the time of the burning with all night elves elsewhere, so implicitly also those in Stormwind.
    No, if you are in the place where the largest percent of the population is and use the word elsewhere it doesnt refer to place you are now. The largest percent bit is whats important.

Oh just like blood elves they will always be able to field armies, doesn't change the fact they are a decimated race lorewise and that Sylvanas caused a full blown genocide on comparison to what Arthas did to her people.

Oh just like blood elves they will always be able to field armies, doesn't change the fact they are a decimated race lorewise and that Sylvanas caused a full blown genocide on comparison to what Arthas did to her people.
    Saying it doesnt make it a lore fact. Unless Blizz give an exact count like they did with the BE.

Quote Originally Posted by ausoin View Post
    Saying it doesnt make it a lore fact.
    I take Tyrande's words over yours

read War of the Ancients

I take Tyrande's words over yours
    What words? I dont see a "90 percent died" words in the novel, please qoute it if you had found the line.

No, if you are in the place where the largest percent of the population is and use the word elsewhere it doesnt refer to place you are now. The largest percent bit is whats important.
    No percent is mentioned. She mentions 'countless' died. The size of the loss is emphasized heavily. But since we've been circling this for 10 replies now with no progress I'll disengage first, since my point is pretty transparent.

What words? I dont see a "90 percent died" words in the novel, please qoute it if you had found the line.
    Be pedantic over it if you will I don't really care, She says there are far too few left and sylvanas committed genocide, you don't need a percentage to know the intention of these words.

No percent is mentioned. She mentions 'countless' died. The size of the loss is emphasized heavily. But since we've been circling this for 10 replies now with more progress I'll disengage first, since my point is pretty transparent.
    She mentions that it was a home to countless people, which I guess it was, but we are reading an truamtised charachters thougths. Still doesnt mention "almost the entire population" died bit anywhere.
    Last edited by ausoin; 2019-03-30 at 10:38 PM.

Excuse me. Why are we trying to find out if it was a Genoside or not? What are we trying to prove here? I am confused.

Be pedantic over it if you will I don't really care, She says there are far too few left and sylvanas committed genocide, you don't need a percentage to know the intention of these words.
    Yes far too few elsewhere in Azeroth, while being in Stormwind, with the largest group of her people. It doesnt refer to Stormwind.

if you are in a place where something has the highest number and the use "elsewhere" you dont inlude the place you are already in.
    Last edited by ausoin; 2019-03-30 at 10:43 PM.

Excuse me. Why are we trying to find out if it was a Genoside or not? What are we trying to prove here? I am confused.
    It's not about debating whether it's genocide or not, it's about the extent of the damage to the population. Scroll up and check the bits we've written on how we're interpreting the text.

Ok but how is that gonna affect the Night Elves's power?

Ok but how is that gonna affect the Night Elves's power?
    It doesn't. I don't think any of us three disagree regarding the night elves' military power. It was about the state of their population and society.