Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    do u think they are harmless words or u think they are bad words to use?
    Words are just words. It's all about how you use them. Are these words spat out with vile and hate? Or are they just used matter-of-fact?

    When I grew up, one such word in Norway was "pakkis". It is nothing more than a shorthand of "pakistani"; a person from Pakistan. The norwegian language frequently uses similar shortenings of other origins ("siddis" -> person from the town of Stavanger, etc). There isn't really anything special about having a similar word for a person from Pakistan. However, it is all about how it was used.

    Some words get so tainted that they only get used by hatemongers. People who don't want to be associated with hatemongers, don't use them. "Pakkis" was very much tainted in this manner, quickly turning into a word you only heard in the same sentence as the words "damned" or "fucking" and "go back to your own country". It became an insult. It because derogatory. It became something only used by open racists, and anyone who didn't want to be associated with that crew, ie most everyone, didn't use the word ever again.

    It really wasn't a "bad word" in the very beginning. But that doesn't change the fact that it ended up as one. And so the word died. Nobody uses the word today. The open racists tend to use the word "muslim" instead now to avoid the social stigma. Though usually still in the same sentence as "damned" or "fucking" and "go back to your own country", so much good that linguistic switch does them.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

  2. #62
    Scarab Lord Leotheras the Blind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In SSC banished by Murkbloods again.
    Posts
    4,273
    Only time I hate those words is when a weeb is using them.
    You know, it's kinda funny. On this forum you can question and criticize celebrities, developers, even governments. But only two you will net you instant infractions; religion and the actions of moderators. Really puts into perspective the literal god complexes we're dealing with here.

  3. #63
    Over 9000! Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Why do you need to separate the "foreigner" from the native?
    Why would you not do that? Why should I not call them what they are?

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Why would you not do that? Why should I not call them what they are?
    You can refer to people in many ways, including ways that don't distinguish them from others. When you choose to refer to them with a word that focus on how they are different, you put emphasis on that, and others can assume that what makes them different matters more to you than anything else. And this sentiment is often associated with prejudice.

  5. #65
    Over 9000! Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    You can refer to people in many ways, including ways that don't distinguish them from others. When you choose to refer to them with a word that focus on how they are different, you put emphasis on that, and others can assume that what makes them different matters more to you than anything else. And this sentiment is often associated with prejudice.
    Why would I not distinguish them from Koreans? They're not Korean. I don't call men women just because they don't want to be a called a man, they're men so I call them men/man. Same applies to foreigners, I'll call them foreigners because they are not Korean, even if they don't want to be called foreigners.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-03-29 at 07:08 PM.

  6. #66
    Over 9000! Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Why do you NEED to distinguish between Koreans and other humans? Why is it so important to keep this distinction? These are the real questions. What are you trying to preserve, and why?
    Why would I not? That's the real question. Why should I refrain from calling people by what they are?

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Why do you NEED to distinguish between Koreans and other humans? Why is it so important to keep this distinction? These are the real questions. What are you trying to preserve, and why?
    She has been playing mental gymnastics for a while now. Like her posts in this thread attempting to be obtuse and play around the words, while ignoring the context they are said. Like others said - gaijin can be derogatory if said with a sneer. No need to even add fucking before it.
    P.S.
    To be fair - some distinction is needed to distinguish natives and foreigners. For example - law wise you need to do that.

  8. #68
    Depends on how they are used in conversation...

    E.G : If 3 female friends are talking and 1 said she slept with 2 guys, her friends call her a slut to her face and to them, it's just a friendly insult and not mean. However if two women were talking about a third they didnt know and called her a slut, they would be insulting her and being mean to her.

  9. #69
    Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    12,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Why would I not distinguish them from Koreans? They're not Korean. I don't call men women just because they don't want to be a called a man, they're men so I call them men/man. Same applies to foreigners, I'll call them foreigners because they are not Korean, even if they don't want to be called foreigners.
    Ah, I see. So you're rude. Someone wants to be called something and it costs you nothing, yet you refuse to do so.

  10. #70
    Over 9000! Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Ah, I see. So you're rude. Someone wants to be called something and it costs you nothing, yet you refuse to do so.
    Claiming to be something does not make you what you claim to be. I won't indulge their nonsense.

  11. #71
    Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    12,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Claiming to be something does not make you what you claim to be. I won't indulge their nonsense.
    Again, it costs you nothing. You say you "won't indulge in their nonsense", but the reality is you just don't respect them enough to call them what they want to be called. You're being impolite, that's all there is to it.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Why would I not? That's the real question. Why should I refrain from calling people by what they are?
    If you see someone wearing glasses, do you call them 4 eyes? If you see someone in a wheel chair, do you call them cripples? If you see someone with a mental disorder, do you call them retards?

    You don't NEED to address what makes them different from others to refer to them. You only do so if you choose to make their difference stand out.

    If there is any chance that being a foreigner triggers some xenophobia, that is the reason why you could NOT call them by what they are, if you don't want your potential xenophobia to be brought to light.

  13. #73
    Over 9000! Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Again, it costs you nothing. You say you "won't indulge in their nonsense", but the reality is you just don't respect them enough to call them what they want to be called. You're being impolite, that's all there is to it.
    It's as impolite as not indulging someone who wants to be called an attack helicopter, that is to say - not at all.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    They're words for foreigner in different languages. That's all it is. They're literally not derogatory.
    That's your translation of words from languages I assume you don't even speak. You can't say what they mean to native speakers of those languages. I can assure you when I lived in Japan and was called a gaijin it was most if not all the times derogatory.

  15. #75
    Over 9000! Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    That's your translation of words from languages I assume you don't even speak. You can't say what they mean to native speakers of those languages. I can assure you when I lived in Japan and was called a gaijin it was most if not all the times derogatory.
    One of them is from my first language, so yeah, I do speak one of them. It means foreigner and is not derogatory.

  16. #76
    Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    12,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    It's as impolite as not indulging someone who wants to be called an attack helicopter, that is to say - not at all.
    And it would still cost you nothing to do so, unless you're concerned about feeling silly and your pride is more important to you than the feelings of others.

  17. #77
    It's nice to see that the FBI won't be letting this go anytime soon.
    Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Just because the Blue Wave was forecast, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

    Yeah folks, he said it....

  18. #78
    Sounds like something White American teens use to try and sound cool.
    Watching Buttigieg and Warren for 2020. #LegalizeCannabis #CannabisForVets
    “The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.
    The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.” ― Alan Moore

  19. #79
    Over 9000! Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Sounds like something White American teens use to try and sound cool.
    Weren't you Korean? You think oegugin is something white American teens use to try and sound cool?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    And it would still cost you nothing to do so, unless you're concerned about feeling silly and your pride is more important to you than the feelings of others.
    I don't indulge peoples nonsense. If a child says they're a dinosaur, guess what? I don't call them a dinosaur. That's the same level of nonsense.

  20. #80
    Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    12,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Weren't you Korean? You think oegugin is something white American teens use to try and sound cool?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I don't indulge peoples nonsense. If a child says they're a dinosaur, guess what? I don't call them a dinosaur. That's the same level of nonsense.
    Wow, do you understand the concept of fun? If a kid is like, "I'm a dinosaur!" I would respond, "Really, what kind of dinosaur are you?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •