Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Aren't you Swedish?

Either way it's more polite to be more specific by describing someone by their appearance or if you know what region/country their from. Any way of using foreigner creates an "us vs them" mentality.

As far as I know gaijin, which comes from gaikokujin, literally means someone who isn't a Japanese citizen and assuming someone isn't Japanese just by their appearance is racist.

I've been working with a lot of immigrants and I've to learned make sure to never call them foreigner. If I talk about them with someone else I either call them by name and if that's not enough by their appearance. They're not "foreigner" people. They're just people.
    No, I'm Korean. Oegugin means foreigner in Korean and is not derogatory.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-03-29 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Aren't you Swedish?

Either way it's more polite to be more specific by describing someone by their appearance or if you know what region/country their from. Any way of using foreigner creates an "us vs them" mentality.

As far as I know gaijin, which comes from gaikokujin, literally means someone who isn't a Japanese citizen and assuming someone isn't Japanese just by their appearance is racist.

I've been working with a lot of immigrants and I've to learned make sure to never call them foreigner. If I talk about them with someone else I either call them by name and if that's not enough by their appearance. They're not "foreigner" people. They're just people.
    I'm an immigrant in the US, and the only ones I see get sand in the crack about words like "foreigner" are Americans. Anecdotal, but still. I am a foreigner in the US, and they are foreign to me in the context of my culture.

They're xenos, I'm a xeno to them. How is that fact derogatory?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Why would I call them nigger? I call them black people or if I know their ethnicity, I call them by their ethnicity.
    Why wouldn't you call them that?
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Why wouldn't you call them that?
    Because that's not the word for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I'm an immigrant in the US, and the only ones I see get sand in the crack about words like "foreigner" are Americans. Anecdotal, but still. I am a foreigner in the US, and they are foreign to me in the context of my culture.

It is derogatory when the context implies it. It can be subtle, it can be obvious, it can be non-existent. If you go calling them lowly xenos, or saying "I don't argue with xenos", or things like that, it is obvious that you are attributing a negative connotation to it. Even if you don't do that, but others do and it is a widespread sentiment, the xenos treatment would become loaded.

No, I'm Korean. Oegugin means foreigner in Korean.
    Yeah, ok. I'll assume you still see my point.

That could be true. We all get different experiences. In Sweden I've learned to stay away from calling people foreigners because some find it offensive. As an example, someone could've lived in Sweden for 10-20 years and had to go a long way to get their citizenship and get accepted by society. They may believe that they deserve to be a "Swede". Even if they're well aware of the fact that they are not of Swedish ethnicity.

I'm not saying that you can't call someone a foreigner. It's all about context and sometimes people will find it offensive.

Same I see of Europeans and Americans get bothered by being called goyim. Goy means 'nation', goyim means 'nations', as in non-Jewish nations.
    Goyim is like giaour though, technically giaour means someone who isn't Muslim however historically it has been used in a divisive way and usually carries a negative connotation so it's neutral at best and never positive. Goyim or goy is the same, it can be neutral but since it was/is frequently used in a negative way some people find it offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    It is derogatory when the context implies it. It can be subtle, it can be obvious, it can be non-existent. If you go calling them lowly xenos, or saying "I don't argue with xenos", or things like that, it is obvious that you are attributing a negative connotation to it. Even if you don't do that, but others do and it is a widespread sentiment, the xenos treatment would become loaded.
    I understand your point, but at that stage, any descriptor becomes problematic.

You can't refer to someone's nationality, because it can be offensive based upon inferring context.
    You can't refer to someone's ethnicity, because it can be offensive based upon inferring context.
    You definitely can't refer to someone's sex or gender, that just causes a shitstorm nowadays.

We might as well not bother communicating if anything can become offensive to someone based on their own interpretation.

No idea what the words mean and not going to google it, so i think nothing of them ....

I do however think a lot about the people asking random questions on the internet without adding anything themself, at times it feels like we have a few bots here just gathering useless information.

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    Goyim is like giaour though, technically giaour means someone who isn't Muslim however historically it has been used in a divisive way and usually carries a negative connotation so it's neutral at best and never positive. Goyim or goy is the same, it can be neutral but since it was/is frequently used in a negative way some people find it offensive.
    Except for one difference, though, giaour became derogatory during a period when Muslim Turks lorded over millions of Christians, enslaving and murdering them without consequence and ruling their countries.

The experience of the Jews, especially in Europe, has been on the opposite end of that of the Ottoman Turks.

Now that being said, I do accept that words can become derogatory over time, and context can change.

But I've yet to see millions of whites suffering at the hands of Thais, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, or the like. Sure people can use the word "foreigner" in a derogatory sense, but any word can be used derogatorily when describing someone else.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-03-29 at 08:10 PM.

They're words for foreigner in different languages. That's all it is. They're literally not derogatory.
    Correct me if I'm wron, but isn't the formal term for 'foreigner' in japanese gaikokujin, and doesn't gaijin have a negative touch to it?

I understand your point, but at that stage, any descriptor becomes problematic.

You can't refer to someone's nationality, because it can be offensive based upon inferring context.
    You can't refer to someone's ethnicity, because it can be offensive based upon inferring context.
    You definitely can't refer to someone's sex or gender, that just causes a shitstorm nowadays.

We might as well not bother communicating if anything can become offensive to someone based on their own interpretation.
    just imagine a world where people was strong enough to just ignore if others did say something wrong or politely correct them ... and those corrected just, you know was open to have a talk about it.

random encounter at the store :

Dude 1 : sorry ma'am can i get past you i need to get to the bacon section.

other person ( dude 2): sure dude but do you mind not calling me Ma'am i am a dude afterall,

Dude 1 : ops my bad, got a bit confused by the high heels and summer dress, interesting colours btw !

Dude 2 : i know ! i am not really into this whole dress and heels thing but this just called for me

Dude 1 : You do you dude, i am just gonna grab that bacon and go make lunch,

Dude 2 : enjoy !

Dude 1 : well thank you, have a nice day.

Dude 2 : you too.

no protest signs, no angry Twitter posts, and no sections in the news about one of the 2 going on a murder spree ...... what a world

and here i thought i was a waito piggu this entire time

Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    Is "you" a bad word for you to use? It's only two more letters. It can't take that much longer to type them in. As for your question, I know those are derogatory words, but they're just words.

Sticks and stones...
    It's only derogatory if you make it that. Fucking foreigners. Fucking tourists.

I personally like Gaijin, and look forward to the day I get called one. It'd mean I'm in Japan.

I wouldn't mind if they said it in a derogatory manner. It'd be another experience to laugh about both on the spot and afterwards.

Except for one difference, though, giaour became derogatory during a period when Muslim Turks lorded over millions of Christians, enslaving and murdering them without consequence and ruling their countries.

The experience of the Jews, especially in Europe, has been on the opposite end of that of the Ottoman Turks.

Now that being said, I do accept that words can become derogatory over time, and context can change.

But I've yet to see millions of whites suffering at the hands of Thais, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, or the like. Sure people can use the word "foreigner" in a derogatory sense, but any word can be used derogatorily when describing someone else.
    That is true. Although I have to say that in the Turkish language, giaour doesn't carry any connection to the Ottoman period. Anyone using that word wouldn't want to particularly invoke that part of history. It means non-Muslim without the historical connotation but of course it still is a pejorative term.

Giaour and goy/im are similar in their daily use though as in they're both used to describe bad things or bad stuff "that foreigners do".

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    just imagine a world where people was strong enough to just ignore if others did say something wrong or politely correct them ... and those corrected just, you know was open to have a talk about it.

random encounter at the store :

Dude 1 : sorry ma'am can i get past you i need to get to the bacon section.

other person ( dude 2): sure dude but do you mind not calling me Ma'am i am a dude afterall,

Dude 1 : ops my bad, got a bit confused by the high heels and summer dress, interesting colours btw !

Dude 2 : i know ! i am not really into this whole dress and heels thing but this just called for me

Dude 1 : You do you dude, i am just gonna grab that bacon and go make lunch,

Dude 2 : enjoy !

Dude 1 : well thank you, have a nice day.

Dude 2 : you too.

no protest signs, no angry Twitter posts, and no sections in the news about one of the 2 going on a murder spree ...... what a world

I have no problem with people saying whatever word they want but they have to own the consequence

Don't be crying to the cops if you're saying racist stuff and you get blasted on the face by a great right hook. It griefs the cop with ridiculous loads of wasteful paperwork and time.

Let the cops focus on the real shit while you get beat up for being a dum-dum

Why would you not do that? Why should I not call them what they are?
    I think the problem is by labeling people "foreigner" because of their skin color you end up insulting people who are native Koreans who don't look like you. You may not be intentionally trying to insult them but it ends up doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because that's not the word for them.
    So the other black people doing it are doing it wrong?
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They're bad because they're foreign and I don't know what they mean.