Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    Elemental Lord Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    8,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Sounds like something White American teens use to try and sound cool.
    Weren't you Korean? You think oegugin is something white American teens use to try and sound cool?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    And it would still cost you nothing to do so, unless you're concerned about feeling silly and your pride is more important to you than the feelings of others.
    I don't indulge peoples nonsense. If a child says they're a dinosaur, guess what? I don't call them a dinosaur. That's the same level of nonsense.

  2. #82
    Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    12,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Weren't you Korean? You think oegugin is something white American teens use to try and sound cool?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I don't indulge peoples nonsense. If a child says they're a dinosaur, guess what? I don't call them a dinosaur. That's the same level of nonsense.
    Wow, do you understand the concept of fun? If a kid is like, "I'm a dinosaur!" I would respond, "Really, what kind of dinosaur are you?"

  3. #83
    I've had people (one was from South Korea) act bothered when I referred to any non-Greek as a xeno, when it literally was used to refer to a stranger/foreigner.

    Same I see of Europeans and Americans get bothered by being called goyim. Goy means 'nation', goyim means 'nations', as in non-Jewish nations.

    SO I'm fine with Asians having their words for foreigners, as long as they don't get butthurt when I call them a xeno as well.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-03-29 at 07:46 PM.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

  4. #84
    Herald of the Titans Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Why would I not? That's the real question. Why should I refrain from calling people by what they are?
    Are you the kind of person who goes "well black ppl call each other n****r! I should be able to too! It's what they are!"
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  5. #85
    Elemental Lord Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    8,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Are you the kind of person who goes "well black ppl call each other n****r! I should be able to too! It's what they are!"
    Why would I call them nigger? I call them black people or if I know their ethnicity, I call them by their ethnicity.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    One of them is from my first language, so yeah, I do speak one of them. It means foreigner and is not derogatory.
    Aren't you Swedish?

    Either way it's more polite to be more specific by describing someone by their appearance or if you know what region/country their from. Any way of using foreigner creates an "us vs them" mentality.

    As far as I know gaijin, which comes from gaikokujin, literally means someone who isn't a Japanese citizen and assuming someone isn't Japanese just by their appearance is racist.

    I've been working with a lot of immigrants and I've to learned make sure to never call them foreigner. If I talk about them with someone else I either call them by name and if that's not enough by their appearance. They're not "foreigner" people. They're just people.

  7. #87
    Elemental Lord Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    8,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Aren't you Swedish?

    Either way it's more polite to be more specific by describing someone by their appearance or if you know what region/country their from. Any way of using foreigner creates an "us vs them" mentality.

    As far as I know gaijin, which comes from gaikokujin, literally means someone who isn't a Japanese citizen and assuming someone isn't Japanese just by their appearance is racist.

    I've been working with a lot of immigrants and I've to learned make sure to never call them foreigner. If I talk about them with someone else I either call them by name and if that's not enough by their appearance. They're not "foreigner" people. They're just people.
    No, I'm Korean. Oegugin means foreigner in Korean and is not derogatory.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-03-29 at 07:55 PM.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Aren't you Swedish?

    Either way it's more polite to be more specific by describing someone by their appearance or if you know what region/country their from. Any way of using foreigner creates an "us vs them" mentality.

    As far as I know gaijin, which comes from gaikokujin, literally means someone who isn't a Japanese citizen and assuming someone isn't Japanese just by their appearance is racist.

    I've been working with a lot of immigrants and I've to learned make sure to never call them foreigner. If I talk about them with someone else I either call them by name and if that's not enough by their appearance. They're not "foreigner" people. They're just people.
    I'm an immigrant in the US, and the only ones I see get sand in the crack about words like "foreigner" are Americans. Anecdotal, but still. I am a foreigner in the US, and they are foreign to me in the context of my culture.

    They're xenos, I'm a xeno to them. How is that fact derogatory?
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

  9. #89
    Herald of the Titans Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Why would I call them nigger? I call them black people or if I know their ethnicity, I call them by their ethnicity.
    Why wouldn't you call them that?
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  10. #90
    Elemental Lord Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    8,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Why wouldn't you call them that?
    Because that's not the word for them.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I'm an immigrant in the US, and the only ones I see get sand in the crack about words like "foreigner" are Americans. Anecdotal, but still. I am a foreigner in the US, and they are foreign to me in the context of my culture.

    They're xenos, I'm a xeno to them. How is that fact derogatory?
    It is derogatory when the context implies it. It can be subtle, it can be obvious, it can be non-existent. If you go calling them lowly xenos, or saying "I don't argue with xenos", or things like that, it is obvious that you are attributing a negative connotation to it. Even if you don't do that, but others do and it is a widespread sentiment, the xenos treatment would become loaded.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    No, I'm Korean. Oegugin means foreigner in Korean.
    Yeah, ok. I'll assume you still see my point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I'm an immigrant in the US, and the only ones I see get sand in the crack about words like "foreigner" are Americans. Anecdotal, but still. I am a foreigner in the US, and they are foreign to me in the context of my culture.

    They're xenos, I'm a xeno to them. How is that fact derogatory?
    That could be true. We all get different experiences. In Sweden I've learned to stay away from calling people foreigners because some find it offensive. As an example, someone could've lived in Sweden for 10-20 years and had to go a long way to get their citizenship and get accepted by society. They may believe that they deserve to be a "Swede". Even if they're well aware of the fact that they are not of Swedish ethnicity.


    I'm not saying that you can't call someone a foreigner. It's all about context and sometimes people will find it offensive.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Same I see of Europeans and Americans get bothered by being called goyim. Goy means 'nation', goyim means 'nations', as in non-Jewish nations.
    Goyim is like giaour though, technically giaour means someone who isn't Muslim however historically it has been used in a divisive way and usually carries a negative connotation so it's neutral at best and never positive. Goyim or goy is the same, it can be neutral but since it was/is frequently used in a negative way some people find it offensive.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    It is derogatory when the context implies it. It can be subtle, it can be obvious, it can be non-existent. If you go calling them lowly xenos, or saying "I don't argue with xenos", or things like that, it is obvious that you are attributing a negative connotation to it. Even if you don't do that, but others do and it is a widespread sentiment, the xenos treatment would become loaded.
    I understand your point, but at that stage, any descriptor becomes problematic.

    You can't refer to someone's nationality, because it can be offensive based upon inferring context.
    You can't refer to someone's ethnicity, because it can be offensive based upon inferring context.
    You definitely can't refer to someone's sex or gender, that just causes a shitstorm nowadays.

    We might as well not bother communicating if anything can become offensive to someone based on their own interpretation.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

  15. #95
    No idea what the words mean and not going to google it, so i think nothing of them ....

    I do however think a lot about the people asking random questions on the internet without adding anything themself, at times it feels like we have a few bots here just gathering useless information.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    Goyim is like giaour though, technically giaour means someone who isn't Muslim however historically it has been used in a divisive way and usually carries a negative connotation so it's neutral at best and never positive. Goyim or goy is the same, it can be neutral but since it was/is frequently used in a negative way some people find it offensive.
    Except for one difference, though, giaour became derogatory during a period when Muslim Turks lorded over millions of Christians, enslaving and murdering them without consequence and ruling their countries.

    The experience of the Jews, especially in Europe, has been on the opposite end of that of the Ottoman Turks.

    Now that being said, I do accept that words can become derogatory over time, and context can change.

    But I've yet to see millions of whites suffering at the hands of Thais, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, or the like. Sure people can use the word "foreigner" in a derogatory sense, but any word can be used derogatorily when describing someone else.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-03-29 at 08:10 PM.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

  17. #97
    Farang is used for white people, not bad in any sense. Don't know about the others.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    They're words for foreigner in different languages. That's all it is. They're literally not derogatory.
    Correct me if I'm wron, but isn't the formal term for 'foreigner' in japanese gaikokujin, and doesn't gaijin have a negative touch to it?

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I understand your point, but at that stage, any descriptor becomes problematic.

    You can't refer to someone's nationality, because it can be offensive based upon inferring context.
    You can't refer to someone's ethnicity, because it can be offensive based upon inferring context.
    You definitely can't refer to someone's sex or gender, that just causes a shitstorm nowadays.

    We might as well not bother communicating if anything can become offensive to someone based on their own interpretation.
    just imagine a world where people was strong enough to just ignore if others did say something wrong or politely correct them ... and those corrected just, you know was open to have a talk about it.

    random encounter at the store :

    **

    Dude 1 : sorry ma'am can i get past you i need to get to the bacon section.

    other person ( dude 2): sure dude but do you mind not calling me Ma'am i am a dude afterall,

    Dude 1 : ops my bad, got a bit confused by the high heels and summer dress, interesting colours btw !

    Dude 2 : i know ! i am not really into this whole dress and heels thing but this just called for me

    Dude 1 : You do you dude, i am just gonna grab that bacon and go make lunch,

    Dude 2 : enjoy !

    Dude 1 : well thank you, have a nice day.

    Dude 2 : you too.

    **

    no protest signs, no angry Twitter posts, and no sections in the news about one of the 2 going on a murder spree ...... what a world

  20. #100
    and here i thought i was a waito piggu this entire time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •