Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    do u think they are harmless words or u think they are bad words to use?
    Isn't these just words for foreigners/strangers?

Better than, 'hey you', or 'that one over there', or 'them'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

How often is it even necessary to use those words? Context matters, and I would say if you go around calling people "foreigner" all the time, there is a negative connotation there.

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    Why would the cops even get involved if you use farang? How is it even racist to use it?
    You’d be surprised at what people call cops for.

America is soft AF

I assume they mean “foreigner” in whatever language they come from. So, can’t say I really care so long as you don’t get upset at me commenting at how short you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about you don't move to a country if you can't handle being a foreigner? Because that is what you are. Don't expect natives to accommodate you, you need to accommodate to them because YOU come to THEIR country.

Additionally, if you don't move or live there, then why do you care to begin with? Lastly, if you visit as a tourist, would you cry about being called a tourist as well because it separates you from those who have citizenship? Jesus guys, this thread smells big time.

They don't concern me , can't see me going to places where they are used in the forseeable future anyway , and I don't bother with stuff that doesn't directly impact me.

I don't have a single clue what any of them means, and I won't google it.

So to me they're neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by The King in Yellow View Post
    Ah yes... because calling a foreigner a foreigner is on the same level as a word which is literally slur stemming more so from the French word "negre". It does have it's origin in latin, but not in the way it was used. But hey.. let's blow a completely normal word completely out of proportion and compare it to racial slurs, amirite?

Enlighten me.. how should we call people from foreign lands then? Because god forbid calling people LITERALLY: "Person from another place" or "Person from outside"
    Don't look at me, I'm not the word cops. I'm just telling you the facts, which is that some words have connotations based on their history.

"Nigger" is a corruption of "negro", which was not considered a slur at the time. "Negro" was still being used as a basic descriptor for black Americans (including as a self-descriptor) even in the civil rights era.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I don't have a single clue what any of them means, and I won't google it.

So to me they're neutral.
    When I was growing up in the 80s in Australia, the average Australian was unfamiliar with the subtext of the word "nigger". We even had a famous stadium stand named after a footballer called "Nigger" Brown. He apparently got that nickname because he was an especially pale white guy.

Still, if I'd gone to America at that time and started using that word, I would've found out pretty quick what it implied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    How often is it even necessary to use those words? Context matters, and I would say if you go around calling people "foreigner" all the time, there is a negative connotation there.
    i use farang often to refer to white people...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, the snowflake level of this post is quite chilly. Its not like Europe has gone onto every country on this planet and killed people so they can stake their claim. Now those same people call you a foreigner and your feelings are hurt... Like dude...
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

10+ Year Old Account
    You misspelled laowai. LWIAY is the right way to spell it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    You misspelled laowai. LWIAY is the right way to spell it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laowai

i didnt misspell..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    You unearthed an almost 3 months old topic just to make this statement?
    i read and respond to people...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laowai

i didnt misspell..

- - - Updated - - -

i read and respond to people...
    U did
    9yosAssemble

do u think they are harmless words or u think they are bad words to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    I want you to explain how it's derogatory to call a foreigner, a foreigner.
    It is easy to explain.

From Natta Lmo I wouldn't feel as if I were being called a derogatory name.

From you I would.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    ... They're words for "foreigner" which I mean makes a lot of sense that countries have a word for "people who are not from here".
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBoss View Post
    Oh man, the snowflake level of this post is quite chilly. Its not like Europe has gone onto every country on this planet and killed people so they can stake their claim. Now those same people call you a foreigner and your feelings are hurt... Like dude...
    Which people that did this are complaining their feelings are hurt, can you name one person that did that and now is complaining?