Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

what do u think of words like gaijin, farang, oegugin, laowai?

do u think they are harmless words or u think they are bad words to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    Is "you" a bad word for you to use? It's only two more letters. It can't take that much longer to type them in. As for your question, I know those are derogatory words, but they're just words.

Sticks and stones...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    Is "you" a bad word for you to use? It's only two more letters. It can't take that much longer to type them in. As for your question, I know those are derogatory words, but they're just words.

Sticks and stones...
    how is it derogatory words?

10+ Year Old Account
    Farang sounds cool.

Sticks and stones...
    I want you to explain how it's derogatory to call a foreigner, a foreigner.

only if they are used as negative forms of address for the race they are meant to represent.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    I want you to explain how calling someone a foreigner is derogatory.
    Well, like a lot of words, it depends on the context they are used.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you think?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Well, like a lot of words, it depends on the context they are used.
    They're words for foreigner in different languages. That's all it is. They're literally not derogatory.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    What do you think?
    i dont think they are bad to use...

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't bother me in even the slightest way.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

how is it derogatory words?
    They all describe something that isn't native to their respective communities. Gaijin means "foreigner", but is commonly used in a derogatory way. Farang is Thai slang for white people. Oegugin is a Korean term used for "aliens", aka people not from Korea. Laowai is also a not quite as common derogatory term for foreigner.

They're words for foreigner in different languages. That's all it is. They're literally not derogatory.
    I know that gaijin and farang are used derogatorily fairly commonly. I don't know about oegugin, I had to look it up. I have heard of laowai being used in a derogatory way, but not as common as gaijin. No, these words weren't intended to be derogatory, but neither was "white male" until recently.
    Last edited by Surreality; 2019-03-29 at 12:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT: people who are racist will say it's fine to excuse their own racism, people who want to virtue signal about how not racist they are will say it's fine bc they secretly think they're superior to asian people. Also someone who is white but lies about being a person of color will disagree with me.

Because east Asian countries are well known for their hospitality to outsiders, or just people that don't look like them in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7dQh8u4Hc

Depends on what you mean with bad words.
    If we talk about how people generally use what is considered bad words I wouldn't say any word is bad, it's about context, as with everything.
    Everyone can use "good" words in degratory way and use "bad" words in a encouraging way.

So in short, I don't find any word to be bad in of itself. It's there to convey feelings or thoughts in the context they are used.

Also if someone use the word Gaijin as an insult I just assume they are way too much into anime to be taken seriously. I would probably find it funny tbh.
    Gaijin just means foreigner, so I don't see anything degratory in it.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-03-29 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Because east Asian countries are well known for their hospitality to outsiders, or just people that don't look like them..
    Yes? I'm annoyed by how lenient we treat foreigners who act like assholes, people excuse them because They don't know our culture, we have to be understanding.

The words by themselves are not derogatory. The context in how they are used can be.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    With language it's two stroke sometimes it can simply be a word and other times it can be the word and the intention behind that word.

I'll give an example.

Women or ladies might call each other names if they know one another, derogatory etc, sometimes, it's just out of fun. However if someone else says or said the same word, it wouldn't mean the same.

I would apply the same metric towards any other word.

I mean to me those words mean zero, nothing, but I am sure that has to do with me never having been exposed to or knowing the history. But, I bet if I had a history or experience with someone calling me that and even if I didn't know what it meant, I am sure I could figure it out real fast in context.

So what do I think?

I think one should use or not use those words especially as an adult understanding the outcome of anything and everything that could happen around it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

5+ Year Old Account
    They all describe something that isn't native to their respective communities. Gaijin means "foreigner", but is commonly used in a derogatory way. Farang is Thai slang for white people. Oegugin is a Korean term used for "aliens", aka people not from Korea. Laowai is also a not quite as common derogatory term for foreigner.

I know that gaijin and farang are used derogatorily fairly commonly. I don't know about oegugin, I had to look it up. I have heard of laowai being used in a derogatory way, but not as common as gaijin. No, these words weren't intended to be derogatory, but neither was "white male" until recently.
    lol... farang is not derogatory...

I want you to explain how it's derogatory to call a foreigner, a foreigner.
    It's all about context. Gaijin is the most commonly used derogatory word used for foreigners. As in "filthy gaijin". I only know this because I had a few Chinese friends when I lived in Norman, Oklahoma where the University of Oklahoma is. That school has a huge Asian population. I enjoy meeting people from other countries and I ask an annoying amount of questions when I talk to them.

lol... farang is not derogatory...
    I didn't call it derogatory, I called it slang. They mean two different things.