Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Why would you not do that? Why should I not call them what they are?
    You can refer to people in many ways, including ways that don't distinguish them from others. When you choose to refer to them with a word that focus on how they are different, you put emphasis on that, and others can assume that what makes them different matters more to you than anything else. And this sentiment is often associated with prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    You can refer to people in many ways, including ways that don't distinguish them from others. When you choose to refer to them with a word that focus on how they are different, you put emphasis on that, and others can assume that what makes them different matters more to you than anything else. And this sentiment is often associated with prejudice.
    Why would I not distinguish them from Koreans? They're not Korean. I don't call men women just because they don't want to be a called a man, they're men so I call them men/man. Same applies to foreigners, I'll call them foreigners because they are not Korean, even if they don't want to be called foreigners.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-03-29 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Why do you NEED to distinguish between Koreans and other humans? Why is it so important to keep this distinction? These are the real questions. What are you trying to preserve, and why?
    Why would I not? That's the real question. Why should I refrain from calling people by what they are?

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Why do you NEED to distinguish between Koreans and other humans? Why is it so important to keep this distinction? These are the real questions. What are you trying to preserve, and why?
    She has been playing mental gymnastics for a while now. Like her posts in this thread attempting to be obtuse and play around the words, while ignoring the context they are said. Like others said - gaijin can be derogatory if said with a sneer. No need to even add fucking before it.
    P.S.
    To be fair - some distinction is needed to distinguish natives and foreigners. For example - law wise you need to do that.

Depends on how they are used in conversation...

E.G : If 3 female friends are talking and 1 said she slept with 2 guys, her friends call her a slut to her face and to them, it's just a friendly insult and not mean. However if two women were talking about a third they didnt know and called her a slut, they would be insulting her and being mean to her.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Why would I not distinguish them from Koreans? They're not Korean. I don't call men women just because they don't want to be a called a man, they're men so I call them men/man. Same applies to foreigners, I'll call them foreigners because they are not Korean, even if they don't want to be called foreigners.
    Ah, I see. So you're rude. Someone wants to be called something and it costs you nothing, yet you refuse to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Ah, I see. So you're rude. Someone wants to be called something and it costs you nothing, yet you refuse to do so.
    Claiming to be something does not make you what you claim to be. I won't indulge their nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Claiming to be something does not make you what you claim to be. I won't indulge their nonsense.
    Again, it costs you nothing. You say you "won't indulge in their nonsense", but the reality is you just don't respect them enough to call them what they want to be called. You're being impolite, that's all there is to it.

Why would I not? That's the real question. Why should I refrain from calling people by what they are?
    If you see someone wearing glasses, do you call them 4 eyes? If you see someone in a wheel chair, do you call them cripples? If you see someone with a mental disorder, do you call them retards?

You don't NEED to address what makes them different from others to refer to them. You only do so if you choose to make their difference stand out.

If there is any chance that being a foreigner triggers some xenophobia, that is the reason why you could NOT call them by what they are, if you don't want your potential xenophobia to be brought to light.

Again, it costs you nothing. You say you "won't indulge in their nonsense", but the reality is you just don't respect them enough to call them what they want to be called. You're being impolite, that's all there is to it.
    It's as impolite as not indulging someone who wants to be called an attack helicopter, that is to say - not at all.

They're words for foreigner in different languages. That's all it is. They're literally not derogatory.
    That's your translation of words from languages I assume you don't even speak. You can't say what they mean to native speakers of those languages. I can assure you when I lived in Japan and was called a gaijin it was most if not all the times derogatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    That's your translation of words from languages I assume you don't even speak. You can't say what they mean to native speakers of those languages. I can assure you when I lived in Japan and was called a gaijin it was most if not all the times derogatory.
    One of them is from my first language, so yeah, I do speak one of them. It means foreigner and is not derogatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It's as impolite as not indulging someone who wants to be called an attack helicopter, that is to say - not at all.
    And it would still cost you nothing to do so, unless you're concerned about feeling silly and your pride is more important to you than the feelings of others.

Sounds like something White American teens use to try and sound cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Sounds like something White American teens use to try and sound cool.
    Weren't you Korean? You think oegugin is something white American teens use to try and sound cool?

- - - Updated - - -

And it would still cost you nothing to do so, unless you're concerned about feeling silly and your pride is more important to you than the feelings of others.
    I don't indulge peoples nonsense. If a child says they're a dinosaur, guess what? I don't call them a dinosaur. That's the same level of nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Weren't you Korean? You think oegugin is something white American teens use to try and sound cool?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't indulge peoples nonsense. If a child says they're a dinosaur, guess what? I don't call them a dinosaur. That's the same level of nonsense.
    Wow, do you understand the concept of fun? If a kid is like, "I'm a dinosaur!" I would respond, "Really, what kind of dinosaur are you?"

I've had people (one was from South Korea) act bothered when I referred to any non-Greek as a xeno, when it literally was used to refer to a stranger/foreigner.

Same I see of Europeans and Americans get bothered by being called goyim. Goy means 'nation', goyim means 'nations', as in non-Jewish nations.

SO I'm fine with Asians having their words for foreigners, as long as they don't get butthurt when I call them a xeno as well.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-03-29 at 07:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you the kind of person who goes "well black ppl call each other n****r! I should be able to too! It's what they are!"
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Are you the kind of person who goes "well black ppl call each other n****r! I should be able to too! It's what they are!"
    Why would I call them nigger? I call them black people or if I know their ethnicity, I call them by their ethnicity.

One of them is from my first language, so yeah, I do speak one of them. It means foreigner and is not derogatory.
    Aren't you Swedish?

Either way it's more polite to be more specific by describing someone by their appearance or if you know what region/country their from. Any way of using foreigner creates an "us vs them" mentality.

As far as I know gaijin, which comes from gaikokujin, literally means someone who isn't a Japanese citizen and assuming someone isn't Japanese just by their appearance is racist.

I've been working with a lot of immigrants and I've to learned make sure to never call them foreigner. If I talk about them with someone else I either call them by name and if that's not enough by their appearance. They're not "foreigner" people. They're just people.