Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Finance, environmental science, technological proffiency, and the political system should all be at the core of your final year of public education

10+ Year Old Account
    My favourite part of this thread is the OP saying that learning your nation's language in school is useless and should be cut out alongside other useless classes, while spelling "about" as "abauth" multiple times.

On topic, my highschool was like, bottom tier of the bare minimum, and I still had home economics that included cooking, sewing, child care, and things like how to write a resume, fill out a cheque, and figure out a budget for the month. People just need to actually care and pay attention and shit is not that hard... I mean c'mon don't tell me you had to be TAUGHT not to waste money on stupid things the way you learned how to read or tie your shoes; we are social learners, you should be able to figure that out for yourself...
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    The government should do our taxes, not us. If we screw up our taxes they come after us, so let the government do it. Plus they can already. I'd be more concerned over people who buy $1k iPhones when in reality a $100 phone would be just fine. Or how 7 million Americans are late on auto payments cause obviously they can't afford that car. Even when it comes to buying houses and people lose their homes cause they really couldn't afford a half million or more house.
    As for as i know US already does that. They just put extra work on you and hope you make a mistake so they can fine you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    My favourite part of this thread is the OP saying that learning your nation's language in school is useless and should be cut out alongside other useless classes, while spelling "about" as "abauth" multiple times.

On topic, my highschool was like, bottom tier of the bare minimum, and I still had home economics that included cooking, sewing, child care, and things like how to write a resume, fill out a cheque, and figure out a budget for the month. People just need to actually care and pay attention and shit is not that hard... I mean c'mon don't tell me you had to LEARN not to waste money on stupid things the way you learned how to read or tie your shoes, we are social learners, you should be able to figure that out for yourself...
    I am not American or British Izalla.
    Unless you want me to replace this word with *približno*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I am not American or British Izalla.
    Unless you want me to replace this word with *približno*
    I can still laugh that you think properly knowing a language is an unimportant life skill.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I don't understand the video. The difference between rich and poor is how they spend money. All the prayers to Steve Jobs isn't going to make you rich. You can be fiscally responsible but being rich takes being in the right place at the right time and talent. People who are bad with money are going to spend it as fast as they make it, while people who are good with money can spend little and survive indefinitely.

Anyway what the guy was doing was pitching a product, which is probably a get rich quick scheme. Meanwhile Boston Dynamics found another way to take away more jobs. We need Universal Basic Income, not a self improvement guide.

[video=youtube;5iV_hB08Uns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iV_hB08Uns
    Is that really more efficient than people? I imagine people could do that faster and more accurately. But, then again, the robot is a one-time purchase with maintenance fees that can work 24/7 as long as things are flowing through, and people need rest, insurance, lunch breaks, and so on. Well, I guess a robot would need time to charge as well, unless they figure out a wireless charging system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Is that really more efficient than people? I imagine people could do that faster and more accurately. But, then again, the robot is a one-time purchase with maintenance fees that can work 24/7 as long as things are flowing through, and people need rest, insurance, lunch breaks, and so on. Well, I guess a robot would need time to charge as well, unless they figure out a wireless charging system.
    Machines get broken over time (like humans), however the cost is usualy smaller. And it can be replaced easy.
    Well you do have to calculate the machine value when doing math stuff anyway and how much possible hours its usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    If you didnt take finance in highschool, you went a shitty school.
    There were no Finance classes in my High School. It is a good school ranked very high in our State. Most public schools don't teach it these days.

I recall learning how to balance a checkbook, which I never use. My calc class also went into compounded interest formulas, which applies to APR and savings interest. Unfortunately, Calc is not required to graduate from highschool so not everyone was taught this.

There should be some required teaching on basic and advanced finance so students can have less risk of fucking up early on when they have their own accounts and income.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    It's very beneficial to the development of problem solving skills, and delaying the onset of shit like dementia and Alzheimer's. Also it's just kinda cool.
    comme ci, comme ça

yeah they should... esp if it helps people not take out those easy to get student loans for degrees that have little hope for return on value. Let alone day-to-day stuff. the number of times i saw college grads with shitty credit thanks to bad decisions with credit cards as a car salesman was sad...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Had "Consumer Math" back in high school. (early 80s)

KEEP THE NOOBS POOR.

Actually, i dont know? And i dont know the reasons it isnt taught. Education needs overhaul, its a massive time waste.

I guess it depends if we want to use propaganda or not. Subjective?

p.s. "should" is really a stupid thing to say in life, no one should do anything for anyone, even be good to each other. You are who you are really.
    Last edited by meheez; 2019-03-29 at 06:44 PM.

Vade retro, personal responsibility bullshit. There are greater and more blatant causes for poverty.

10+ Year Old Account

I always wondered why we got no education when it comes to life finances. And no math doesnt count.
    Its more or less banned topic there.
    Home economics is taught some places, a good thing to learn. Finance though, that is an advancement and shouldn't really be a basic school thing.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    My spelling is just fine in mother language. I am not getting paid to spell things right in english.
    Sometimes I wonder if paying kids to go to school, even some small pittance, paying them more for higher grades, would provide a more "real world" incentive to learning.

In college it's your money to burn, if you don't learn that's your problem. But in school someone else is paying to force you to go to school.

It would probably teach them an unrealistic lesson that success and hard work translates into higher incomes. :-p

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Home economics is taught some places, a good thing to learn. Finance though, that is an advancement and shouldn't really be a basic school thing.
    Home economics has nothing to do with the economics of the home. It's largely cooking, cleaning and baby-care.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    If someone can quote the Pythagorean Theorem by heart but can't do their taxes, there's a problem. Offering a 'Finances and Economics' elective that covers things like taxes, balancing a checkbook, and other 'must-knows' would go far (and making it an elective would allow students who learn these skills at home or on their own time to avoid wasting a credit on subject matter they already understand).
    I can quote it in 5 lanaguages including original Ancient Greek:
    En tis orthogoniois trigonois to apo tis tin orthin gonian ypoteinousis pleuras tetragonon ison esti tois apo ton tin orthin gonian periexouson pleuron tetragonois

What do I win!
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Managing finances have become more complicated, yet easier at the same time. Between my wife and I, we manage 1 joint accounts, two 401ks, two ROTH 401ks, two IRAs, two ROTH IRAs, two HSAs, multiple investment accounts, our LLC account, and my wife’s company account. A nightmare in the good old days of paper billing.

However, today they all can be managed from our bank’s website. Bills like health insurance, car payment, HOA dues, trash, car/house insurance, home warranty are deducted automatically every month. For gas, electric, water, phone, internet, AAA, property tax, car registration, etc., we get electronic bills sent to our bank and we just tell our bank when we want the bill to be paid. The bank takes care of the bills from there. IRA and 401k and HSA contributions are done automatically also. The same with conversion of our regular 401k and IRA accounts to ROTH accounts. The bank even has analytical tool to show the optimal rate of conversion for tax reduction and anticipated retirement date and withdrawal rate.

So managing our accounts is pretty easy. We can see the balance on the accounts in real time and even do projections as far as a year out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Home economics has nothing to do with the economics of the home. It's largely cooking, cleaning and baby-care.
    Meaning, your home economics doesn't for mine sure did. It was everything from home budgeting to basic living financing on top of the cooking, cleaning and caring - no baby caring though.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Meaning, your home economics doesn't for mine sure did. It was everything from home budgeting to basic living financing on top of the cooking, cleaning and caring - no baby caring though.
    Fair, I've just never heard anyone say theirs did. Mine covered cooking, cleaning, sewing, baking, childcare, basically all the things people in the 50's would call "womens work". Didn't touch on household finances in the slightest.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Fair, I've just never heard anyone say theirs did. Mine covered cooking, cleaning, sewing, baking, childcare, basically all the things people in the 50's would call "womens work". Didn't touch on household finances in the slightest.
    Mine covered Budgetting and house finances, cooking, cleaning, sewing, baking, first aid, fire fighting - and uhm... Field Survival *

*) Majority of my school's teachers were ex-military.