Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Should schools teach people abauth money

I always wondered why we got no education when it comes to life finances. And no math doesnt count.
    Its more or less banned topic there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

I always wondered why we got no education when it comes to life finances. And no math doesnt count.
    any examples of life finances you think you were missing when you finished school?
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

If you didnt take finance in highschool, you went a shitty school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    If you didnt take finance in highschool, you went a shitty school.
    They dont teach this in every country. At least not in EU.

See the PDF file of Financial Education in Europe and Financing Schools in Europe - Erasmusplus.sk .

Some Us countrys have it, but not all.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow it's almost like Marx wrote about this 150 years ago or something

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember having a class about balancing a checkbook and something else about about investing $100/week would make me a millionaire. I don't ever remember them talking about credit cards, loans or student debt. This was over 15 years ago.

I also took a programming class where we created a amortization schedule for a loan. But that was an elective class.

7+ Year Old Account
    I had a basic economics class that taught surface level stuff. I think most of schooling is a huge waste, and needs massive reform.

Before teaching about finance, they should teach proper spelling and grammar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    I had a basic economics class that taught surface level stuff. I think most of schooling is a huge waste, and needs massive reform.
    That's the argument made by most people who never paid attention in class and had a nasty surprise once the real world hit them.

Content has never been the problem. Delivery is.

Governments typically prefer their taxpayers to be ignorant about money, otherwise it'd be harder to hoard it all for the upper crust.

That being said, it's not hard to learn about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    Why so? School does its job as far as I'm concerned.

10+ Year Old Account

I see people saying how their schools didn't teach them about money management. I guess I was fortunate. We learned how to balance a check book and our highschool had accounting as an elective. We also had home economics which taught you how to cook and sew and other life skills.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They already do. Understanding money is also about being decent at math.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think they should first focus on teaching them English, or whatever language is native to their land. "Abauth"? really?

Interesting bait and switch. Beginning with the system is keeping you down narrative and then immediately switching to poor people are poor because they are lazy and full on entrepreneur worship. Too much cognitive dissonance for my tastes though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    They did at my school I don't recall the class name we had to balance a check book, do our taxes, plan a monthly living expenses layout, etc.

Absolutely. I'm not one of the people that doubts geometry's usefulness as a subject, but I do think the lower levels of education have to be considerably updated and modernized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I am really curious why people think that you should need education about life finances??
    I never had education about it. I am doing just fine.

I mean, if you can add,substract,multiple and divid with a bit of sense of overall statistics. What else do you want?
    Well people do get scammed pretty easy if they dont understand some basic finances.

Gross and net are a good example. If you dont understand those 2, you can get scammed of job money pretty easy. (and yes...always ask abauth gross)
    Then it comes to yearly taxes. Income taxes can be a pain to fill. And yes i leared this the hard way.

Its basics that everyone should know before even going to high school.

Oh and dont let me mention credit card companys.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    The video is laughable nonsense. You aren't being programmed to be poor.

And, I don't know where you went to school, but there has always been some degree of home economics classes at some point (generally middle school / junior high from my experiences in both the mid-West as well as East coast). Just because you ignored it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Furthermore, what magic do you think should be taught? Don't blast money on stupid things? Do you really need to be *taught* that?

And even if you were taught that, would you even follow that advice? Of course not. I see people all the time on these boards complain that they weren't taught anything useful in school which really means that they were too busy goofing off in class to have learned much.

This is just another useful scapegoat for the fact that the real reason people are poor is because of poor impulse control combined with a super-rich class who does everything in their power to provide the most minimal compensation possible to everyone else. The super-rich are, many times, just as susceptible to poor impulse control, but they simply make (or, much more often, inherited) enough money that they remain financially viable.

10+ Year Old Account
    These classes are already taught if you know where to look. In my kid's school finance and economics are electives instead of part of the core curriculum.

Apparently the Pythagorean Theorem is more important than money management.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

It was done at my school (Houston ISD in the '90s) but only if you took Accounting 1, 2 as electives. Economics elective was more 20th century Business History where the teacher thought that forcing us to make collages for every major project would somehow help us understand the subject.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.