View Poll Results: If you could pick one sci fi technology what would be?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Photon Torpedo and Phaser Based Weapons

2 1.59%
  • A Replicator

76 60.32%
  • A Space Station Just 1

5 3.97%
  • Site to Site Transporter

43 34.13%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Insane
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    So you would be ok with a technology taking every piece of you apart even at a sub atomic level, shooting you through some kind of frequency to then reassemble you in the correct order exactly as before?

Yeah I'll pass
    Dude there's no such thing as a spirit/soul. If your atoms are reassembled it would simply be you in a different location.

Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    Body replicator with mind Transfer, aka eternal life
    Oh hey, someone thinking along the same lines as me!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Instantaneous transportation anywhere. Teleportation.

Everything else, we can solve, given time. But traveling the universe doesn't look like it's going to be a problem easy to solve if we want it to be doable on what we currently understand as human timescales.
    That's a good point. We would solve world hunger over night if we had teleportation, since there's often a lot of food waste in first world countries. We would just... send that food to third world countries instead. Same with medicine, and water purifiers, and so on. They could then ship raw materials and whatever they can make back to us by the same methods. Before long, everywhere would be a first world country with infrastructure and the like. You could even get (essentially) the same benefit as a replicator, just getting your food, clothes, etcetera from some warehouse. Human advancement would increase dramatically.

Thanks for giving me a better view of this!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Oh hey, someone thinking along the same lines as me!

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good point. We would solve world hunger over night if we had teleportation, since there's often a lot of food waste in first world countries. We would just... send that food to third world countries instead. Same with medicine, and water purifiers, and so on. They could then ship raw materials and whatever they can make back to us by the same methods. Before long, everywhere would be a first world country with infrastructure and the like. You could even get (essentially) the same benefit as a replicator, just getting your food, clothes, etcetera from some warehouse. Human advancement would increase dramatically.

Thanks for giving me a better view of this!
    was literally my reasoning.

replicators WILL require energy and a LOT of it. you cannot just create matter out of nothing, there is going to be significant cost. which.. there is in star trek. again, i bring up voyager and their need to stop using replicators all together, because they had to conserve fuel that apparently wasn't that easy to get. transporters on the other hand - they used constantly which leads me to believe - they use vastly smaller amounts of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Thing is, if the replicators that are being discussed are ST style, then they would run on power like your computer would. Hence the need to have a fusion type power generation that can be near 100% efficiency as all they are is a 100% matter/energy converter. By this point in time, hopefully, the mining for anything that would be fuel would probably done by robots and not by humans so who would you need to pay outside of the standard maintenance of the robots. Don't get me wrong, transporters are nice and all, however the same technology that goes into them also goes into replicators(once again, if we are using the ST style) as they are nothing more then matter/energy converters as all you are doing is recording an object on a subatomic scale, destroying said object, sending said data somewhere else, reassembling said object on a subatomic scale and imprinting anything that needs to be done as far as memory and consciousness goes. Funny thing is, why would you need a transporter when a replicator can pretty much recreate anything you would need a transporter for anyway outside of anything that is living. And to answer your question, it was shown numerous times that replicators are on planets. The reason why they generally only show them on starships or stations is because the majority of the show takes place on a ship or station.

OT: The reason why a produce section in a grocery store is setup the way it is has more to do with psychology then actual logistics reasons. I know this because I do work in one. Been in the business for a long time. People will generally shy away from anything(produce, dairy, meat, hell even dry goods) that has "too low" of a stock because of the notion that what may be wrong with it even if it is perfectly fine. The other thing is, most stores, when it comes to perishable goods, gets deliveries every other day or every day(for bread). The produce and dairy where I work at comes 3 times a week, baked good(bread) comes daily and meat/deli comes 4 times. Just to note, most distributers can send things out daily(most wont do it on sundays though), the stores choose not to get them due to paying for fuel costs. Things like Best By or Sell By dates, outside of baby food/formula, aren't regulated and are there only to show the customer when the manufacturer thinks their product is at its peak. Customers won't generally buy anything that is passed that and think the food is "spoiled". This might be true if something is months to years(which is another issue altogether) but if something is a day or two, at least in dry goods, it is perfectly fine.

Next time you are in one, for curiosity sake, watch someone sifting through something in the produce section and when they are done, see what they didn't buy and take a look at it yourself. I can guarantee that the majority of the time there is nothing wrong it other then it might be a little small or not a specific color.

For a fun note, for those that don't know, there is a reason why the produce and bakery departments are near the front of the store. It is to get you hungry from the sights and smells of fresh goods so you will subconsciously buy more. I've rambled on a bit much and am sorry about that.
    you know why people are so picky in first world countries? because they CAN be. not to mention all these veggies and fruits that are less then perfect - they are that way because of transportation issues. they literally get damaged in transport. teleporters would fix that. in case you didn't know, btw, produce that is imperfect when harvested - does NOT get thrown out. it gets converted into various preserves. apple sauce, tomato sauce, potato chips, etc etc etc. unbought produce could be transported back to fascilities that produce all these preserves.

a LOT of food waste can be easily prevented with better transportation, both to and from the stores, to other countries that need to produce, to places like Alaska where food costs are high, becasue transportation to it is so difficult, etc etc. because relative cost in energy of transporters is not only inexpensive, but would literally solve a lot of fuel shortages, because I just have this feeling that its going to be cheaper to operate transporter than a long range produce truck. especially when that truck has to use refrigeration (which is just about always). it will also help with pollution because a ton of that comes from fuel exhaust produced by cars and trucks.

and something that was also interesting to me. they have these replicators which they do occasionally use for minor tools and parts, but only occasionally and when they need them in a rush and have no other option. they STILL mine for and trade for various building materials. have you ever wondered why? I have. and I think its becasue its cheaper not to mention more readily available to actualy mine raw materials than try to replicate them.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-04-01 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Replicators hands down. They solve everything.
    It is solely responsible for eliminating jealousy/greed/envy/, medical issues and hunger in the Federation of Planets.

So yes, I agree with you.

While I would love all of these, being able to teleport to work and shit would be awesome, and a huge time saver.
    “The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist.’” Thomas Sowell.

Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    depends can i teleport of this shitty planet?

if yes teleporter

if not the replicator
    A checker of some kind that checks spelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

The machine in prometheus that can detect anything wrong with your body and heal you.
    There's no scraps in my scrap book

I'd love nanotech we could use for cosmetic, medical or recyclable purposes, but somehow I think humanity would wind up doing more harm than good with those things. If it could only specifically be used for the purposes I believe it should be, and not be weaponised or abused, though, I would pick nanotech.

According to Bones that's how it works Hahaha he's always afraid they won't put him back together.
    Hmm...

A transporter is a fictional teleportation machine used in the Star Trek universe. Transporters convert a person or object into an energy pattern (a process called dematerialization), then "beam" it to a target, where it is reconverted into matter (rematerialization). The term "transporter accident" is a catch-all term for when a person or object does not rematerialize correctly.

Aside from external influences causing disruptions in the normal operations of transporters, the technology itself has been known to fail on occasion, causing serious injury or usually death to those being transported. This was demonstrated in Star Trek's 1979 film debut, Star Trek: The Motion Picture when a malfunction in the transporter sensor circuits resulted in insufficient signal being present at the Enterprise end to successfully rematerialize the two subjects, and Starfleet was unable to pull them back to where they had dematerialized from. The transporter system attempted to rematerialize what little signal was available, and despite the efforts of Kirk and Scotty, the system failed and both subjects vanished from the transporter pad. Kirk, visibly shaken by what he had witnessed asked, "Starfleet, do you have them?", to which the response was made "Enterprise, what we got back didn't live long, fortunately".

--------------------------

I'll take replicator...

So you would be ok with a technology taking every piece of you apart even at a sub atomic level, shooting you through some kind of frequency to then reassemble you in the correct order exactly as before?

Yeah I'll pass
    What if it doesn't work like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Anyone chose Stargate yet?

Death Star
    There is no one more racist than a white liberal.

Replicator, if limited to choices on the list.

If not? Reliable FTL. Goodbye, mudball.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

I would need the full spec sheet for either. Can I actually power them? Depending on the implementation a teleporter might be partially a replicator anyway. Can the replicator replicate the teleporter? Can I/we reverse engineer them or are they complete blackbox magic items? Both could solve major problems of our species. Depending on the answers the use of either would vary drastically.

The other 2 don't really compare. A station is kind of useless, it would have been a different topic if it was a space ship with some kind of FTL capabilities. That would be significant. Same for the energy weapons. Kind of pointless by themselves and frankly, the energy issue is the most interesting thing about them.. that is actually the crux for all of these things. A more interesting question would have been imho: Energy source a couple of orders of magnitude more dense than our best batteries, breaking the laws of physics as we know them with an FTL engine, breaking the laws of physics with teleportation (non-killing kind) or create everything from practically nothing (+ energy).

If I could pick freely, probably Star Gate's ascension of the ancients or turning myself into one of their high level replicators. I can figure the rest out from there.
    Last edited by Haidaes; 2019-04-02 at 11:55 AM.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Anyone chose Stargate yet?
    Make one along with the others in the Replicator!
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Definitely a teleporter. I'd never be bored!
    This but it has to be able to teleport instantly faster than the speed of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    It is solely responsible for eliminating jealousy/greed/envy/, medical issues and hunger in the Federation of Planets.

So yes, I agree with you.
    replicators are junk without appropriate power generators. moreover, once you have that kind of power generators, developing a replicator isn't that hard. same thing for teleporters since they are very similar to replicator tech.

asking for a replicator is like a medieval guy asking for a printer, completely useless without electricity and ink. but if he asks for electricity instead, you just got the tools to solve thousands problems instead of a few.

so from the options in the poll i'd probably want the phaser/torpedo or the space station, since those can actually generate power and thus be used as a basis for reverse engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    replicators are junk without appropriate power generators. moreover, once you have that kind of power generators, developing a replicator isn't that hard. same thing for teleporters since they are very similar to replicator tech.

asking for a replicator is like a medieval guy asking for a printer, completely useless without electricity and ink. but if he asks for electricity instead, you just got the tools to solve thousands problems instead of a few.

so from the options in the poll i'd probably want the phaser/torpedo or the space station, since those can actually generate power and thus be used as a basis for reverse engineering.
    Honestly, I feel that you’re thinking way too hard.

If replicators existed that means the technology behind it exists as well.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    A checker of some kind that checks spelling.

maybe something to make you funny so you can get laid and dont need to talk shit online cause you seem to have other issues , need a hug or want to talk about it?
    Last edited by Uselessrouge; 2019-04-02 at 06:43 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    replicator from this list (otherwise I pick medical nanobota)
    We all ready have a space station so that’s a pointless pick
    We don’t need more weapons if we just dealing with earth so f photon/phaser weapons
    Transportors scare the shit out of me if we talking about the common ones in scifi(the ones that dismantle you) so I’d pass on that