Poll: If you could pick one sci fi technology what would be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I'd love nanotech we could use for cosmetic, medical or recyclable purposes, but somehow I think humanity would wind up doing more harm than good with those things. If it could only specifically be used for the purposes I believe it should be, and not be weaponised or abused, though, I would pick nanotech.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    According to Bones that's how it works Hahaha he's always afraid they won't put him back together.
    Hmm...

A transporter is a fictional teleportation machine used in the Star Trek universe. Transporters convert a person or object into an energy pattern (a process called dematerialization), then "beam" it to a target, where it is reconverted into matter (rematerialization). The term "transporter accident" is a catch-all term for when a person or object does not rematerialize correctly.

Aside from external influences causing disruptions in the normal operations of transporters, the technology itself has been known to fail on occasion, causing serious injury or usually death to those being transported. This was demonstrated in Star Trek's 1979 film debut, Star Trek: The Motion Picture when a malfunction in the transporter sensor circuits resulted in insufficient signal being present at the Enterprise end to successfully rematerialize the two subjects, and Starfleet was unable to pull them back to where they had dematerialized from. The transporter system attempted to rematerialize what little signal was available, and despite the efforts of Kirk and Scotty, the system failed and both subjects vanished from the transporter pad. Kirk, visibly shaken by what he had witnessed asked, "Starfleet, do you have them?", to which the response was made "Enterprise, what we got back didn't live long, fortunately".

--------------------------

I'll take replicator...

15+ Year Old Account
    So you would be ok with a technology taking every piece of you apart even at a sub atomic level, shooting you through some kind of frequency to then reassemble you in the correct order exactly as before?

Yeah I'll pass
    What if it doesn't work like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Anyone chose Stargate yet?

15+ Year Old Account
    Death Star
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Replicator, if limited to choices on the list.

If not? Reliable FTL. Goodbye, mudball.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

I would need the full spec sheet for either. Can I actually power them? Depending on the implementation a teleporter might be partially a replicator anyway. Can the replicator replicate the teleporter? Can I/we reverse engineer them or are they complete blackbox magic items? Both could solve major problems of our species. Depending on the answers the use of either would vary drastically.

The other 2 don't really compare. A station is kind of useless, it would have been a different topic if it was a space ship with some kind of FTL capabilities. That would be significant. Same for the energy weapons. Kind of pointless by themselves and frankly, the energy issue is the most interesting thing about them.. that is actually the crux for all of these things. A more interesting question would have been imho: Energy source a couple of orders of magnitude more dense than our best batteries, breaking the laws of physics as we know them with an FTL engine, breaking the laws of physics with teleportation (non-killing kind) or create everything from practically nothing (+ energy).

If I could pick freely, probably Star Gate's ascension of the ancients or turning myself into one of their high level replicators. I can figure the rest out from there.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-04-02 at 11:55 AM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Anyone chose Stargate yet?
    Make one along with the others in the Replicator!
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Definitely a teleporter. I'd never be bored!
    This but it has to be able to teleport instantly faster than the speed of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    It is solely responsible for eliminating jealousy/greed/envy/, medical issues and hunger in the Federation of Planets.

So yes, I agree with you.
    replicators are junk without appropriate power generators. moreover, once you have that kind of power generators, developing a replicator isn't that hard. same thing for teleporters since they are very similar to replicator tech.

asking for a replicator is like a medieval guy asking for a printer, completely useless without electricity and ink. but if he asks for electricity instead, you just got the tools to solve thousands problems instead of a few.

so from the options in the poll i'd probably want the phaser/torpedo or the space station, since those can actually generate power and thus be used as a basis for reverse engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    replicators are junk without appropriate power generators. moreover, once you have that kind of power generators, developing a replicator isn't that hard. same thing for teleporters since they are very similar to replicator tech.

asking for a replicator is like a medieval guy asking for a printer, completely useless without electricity and ink. but if he asks for electricity instead, you just got the tools to solve thousands problems instead of a few.

so from the options in the poll i'd probably want the phaser/torpedo or the space station, since those can actually generate power and thus be used as a basis for reverse engineering.
    Honestly, I feel that you’re thinking way too hard.

If replicators existed that means the technology behind it exists as well.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    A checker of some kind that checks spelling.

maybe something to make you funny so you can get laid and dont need to talk shit online cause you seem to have other issues , need a hug or want to talk about it?
    Last edited by Uselessrouge; 2019-04-02 at 06:43 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    replicator from this list (otherwise I pick medical nanobota)
    We all ready have a space station so that’s a pointless pick
    We don’t need more weapons if we just dealing with earth so f photon/phaser weapons
    Transportors scare the shit out of me if we talking about the common ones in scifi(the ones that dismantle you) so I’d pass on that

5+ Year Old Account
    We already have a space station...

I chose photon, that tech will give us interstellar travel

Don't need replicator, we'll make shit easy anyways

Transporter is pointless, u need to know where ur going first or ur fucked. To do that, u need first to have chosen the first option
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-04-02 at 07:11 PM.

I'll be boring but pragmatic : superhuman Artificial Intelligence, because it means we will get everything else in our lifetime. It will first focus its efforts on improving AI at an absurd rate, then building robots/nanobots far more sophisticated than humans would be a child's play, finally everything becomes possible. Except stuff that is truly impossible, like possibly teleportation and most probably time travel.

Replicator is cool and all but. The holodeck is the real shit. SAO here i come. The pussybilities is endless here.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Holodecks... anyone who said anything else isn't thinking. Let me explain.... we are talking Star treck Holodecks where you can smell, taste, feel etc... get it? Combat scenarios are fun but that isn't all you could do....

That's tough between a replicator and transporter. I'm firmly in the "death" camp on the philosophical question as to whether you die in a transporter or not so I'd go with replicator.

Something with which I could change my body.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    That's tough between a replicator and transporter. I'm firmly in the "death" camp on the philosophical question as to whether you die in a transporter or not so I'd go with replicator.
    It's an interesting question. Somehow I feel if you don't think it kills you it would mean you could create perfect replicas of you and all would think they are the real one.

If you could pick one sci fi technology what would be?

My answer is obvious, Replicator. Hunger would be eradicated.
    5.7million times better would be the dermal regenerat from Star Trek ...it can heal cancer ..heart problems ..everything known today ...you would save billions of lives and people would live to be 100's of years old ... but even better then that would be the technology from the movie Elysium...no death ...no pain ... https://youtu.be/RyMoJHf7rCQ