Poll: If you could pick one sci fi technology what would be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    not on the list: stacks/sleeves from altered carbon
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Celestial Orrery.

I have seen Stargate, so no replicators :P

Teleporting.

transporter. replicator comes close, but.... on a personal level transporter would be of a lot more benefit becasue at this time, transportation is THE number one issue SO and I are dealing with. being able to save this much time on travel would drastically improve our lives, as long term as replicator would. in face. replicator should also help with food distribution. imagine not having to spend days trucking food around - just transport it instantly. easy. fresh. there are places where so much food is wasted in part becasue it cannot be properly transported. in some ways, transporters could help with hunger as well.

edited to add, I'm not sure replicator will eliminate work. there is such thing as maintenance and not just of replicators, and replicators require fuel to continue replicating (one of the major points of Voyager is that they had to switch to normal food production, because they had to conserve fuel - much to Janeway's sadness at having no easy acess to coffee). the work might be somewhat reduced in certain fields, but it will NOT by any means be eliminated.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-03-31 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    transporter. replicator comes close, but.... on a personal level transporter would be of a lot more benefit becasue at this time, transportation is THE number one issue SO and I are dealing with. being able to save this much time on travel would drastically improve our lives, as long term as replicator would. in face. replicator should also help with food distribution. imagine not having to spend days trucking food around - just transport it instantly. easy. fresh. there are places where so much food is wasted in part becasue it cannot be properly transported. in some ways, transporters could help with hunger as well.

edited to add, I'm not sure replicator will eliminate work. there is such thing as maintenance and not just of replicators, and replicators require fuel to continue replicating (one of the major points of Voyager is that they had to switch to normal food production, because they had to conserve fuel - much to Janeway's sadness at having no easy acess to coffee). the work might be somewhat reduced in certain fields, but it will NOT by any means be eliminated.
    The vast majority of food waste is from grocery stores throwing out tons of perfectly good food(produce that doesn't look just right and date codes on food are just a suggestion and not when something goes bad are two of the things that contribute to this). As far as work goes, it would eliminate work as we know it. Nobody would need to work for someone else for material gain as any item wouldn't have value as a replicator can replicate anything. It would be more like a bartering system for older items that are still around and someone would want an original and not replicated like how older cars, baseball cards or comic books are right now. However, as far as energy goes, we first would have to solve fusion energy(or something that can generate extreme amounts of energy from extremely small amounts of fuel and use that) as the energy requirements to even make a replicator to work(as in Star Trek).

Funny thing is, in Star Trek, almost everyone learns how to fix the replicator.

Of your options, a space station that comes with replicators, transportation beaming, and photon torpedoes.

If I were to pick from outside your options, I'd like to have built in computer interfacing with conscious transfer capabilities.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    The vast majority of food waste is from grocery stores throwing out tons of perfectly good food(produce that doesn't look just right and date codes on food are just a suggestion and not when something goes bad are two of the things that contribute to this). As far as work goes, it would eliminate work as we know it. Nobody would need to work for someone else for material gain as any item wouldn't have value as a replicator can replicate anything. It would be more like a bartering system for older items that are still around and someone would want an original and not replicated like how older cars, baseball cards or comic books are right now. However, as far as energy goes, we first would have to solve fusion energy(or something that can generate extreme amounts of energy from extremely small amounts of fuel and use that) as the energy requirements to even make a replicator to work(as in Star Trek).

Funny thing is, in Star Trek, almost everyone learns how to fix the replicator.
    we will still have currency, because there is a reason we stopped using barter very long time ago. it was far too inefficient. and replicators do NOT work on thin air. they work on fuel. that fuel has to come from somewhere. and in order for anyone to get it? they are going to have to most likely... you guessed it.. pay to someone else for it. and one has to wonder... just exact does it entail to mine the fuel for replicators to work. moreover - huge part of the reason grocery stores carry excess food is because they cannot just refill shelves on a whim. they get delivery once or twice a week and have to hope that stock they have in between is enough. with transporters - delivery is no longer an issue. if you need to replenish stock? tada, you have it. last but not least... haven't you ever wondered why replicators are only really a thing on starships or space stations, while on earth we are shown time and again that not only actual farms exist, but its also what people typical use. produce grown rather then replicated. becasue I have. and if I were to guess it has to do with 1. fuel costs (pollution is also a cost) 2. transporters still have max range, otherwise we wouldn't need ships, and its in general more viable because of weight and storage space and spoilage, for a ship to carry extra fuel vs extra stored food.

work as we know it, ok, if by that you mean - work changes with technology. you know kinda like back in a day, you had laundries where people washed other people's laundry by hands, but not they are using laundry machines. but work in general? is not going anywhere. we are going to have to work no matter what. transporters will allow us to save commute time to and from work sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    we will still have currency, because there is a reason we stopped using barter very long time ago. it was far too inefficient. and replicators do NOT work on thin air. they work on fuel. that fuel has to come from somewhere. and in order for anyone to get it? they are going to have to most likely... you guessed it.. pay to someone else for it. and one has to wonder... just exact does it entail to mine the fuel for replicators to work. moreover - huge part of the reason grocery stores carry excess food is because they cannot just refill shelves on a whim. they get delivery once or twice a week and have to hope that stock they have in between is enough. with transporters - delivery is no longer an issue. if you need to replenish stock? tada, you have it. last but not least... haven't you ever wondered why replicators are only really a thing on starships or space stations, while on earth we are shown time and again that not only actual farms exist, but its also what people typical use. produce grown rather then replicated. becasue I have. and if I were to guess it has to do with 1. fuel costs (pollution is also a cost) 2. transporters still have max range, otherwise we wouldn't need ships, and its in general more viable because of weight and storage space and spoilage, for a ship to carry extra fuel vs extra stored food.

work as we know it, ok, if by that you mean - work changes with technology. you know kinda like back in a day, you had laundries where people washed other people's laundry by hands, but not they are using laundry machines. but work in general? is not going anywhere. we are going to have to work no matter what. transporters will allow us to save commute time to and from work sites.
    Thing is, if the replicators that are being discussed are ST style, then they would run on power like your computer would. Hence the need to have a fusion type power generation that can be near 100% efficiency as all they are is a 100% matter/energy converter. By this point in time, hopefully, the mining for anything that would be fuel would probably done by robots and not by humans so who would you need to pay outside of the standard maintenance of the robots. Don't get me wrong, transporters are nice and all, however the same technology that goes into them also goes into replicators(once again, if we are using the ST style) as they are nothing more then matter/energy converters as all you are doing is recording an object on a subatomic scale, destroying said object, sending said data somewhere else, reassembling said object on a subatomic scale and imprinting anything that needs to be done as far as memory and consciousness goes. Funny thing is, why would you need a transporter when a replicator can pretty much recreate anything you would need a transporter for anyway outside of anything that is living. And to answer your question, it was shown numerous times that replicators are on planets. The reason why they generally only show them on starships or stations is because the majority of the show takes place on a ship or station.

OT: The reason why a produce section in a grocery store is setup the way it is has more to do with psychology then actual logistics reasons. I know this because I do work in one. Been in the business for a long time. People will generally shy away from anything(produce, dairy, meat, hell even dry goods) that has "too low" of a stock because of the notion that what may be wrong with it even if it is perfectly fine. The other thing is, most stores, when it comes to perishable goods, gets deliveries every other day or every day(for bread). The produce and dairy where I work at comes 3 times a week, baked good(bread) comes daily and meat/deli comes 4 times. Just to note, most distributers can send things out daily(most wont do it on sundays though), the stores choose not to get them due to paying for fuel costs. Things like Best By or Sell By dates, outside of baby food/formula, aren't regulated and are there only to show the customer when the manufacturer thinks their product is at its peak. Customers won't generally buy anything that is passed that and think the food is "spoiled". This might be true if something is months to years(which is another issue altogether) but if something is a day or two, at least in dry goods, it is perfectly fine.

Next time you are in one, for curiosity sake, watch someone sifting through something in the produce section and when they are done, see what they didn't buy and take a look at it yourself. I can guarantee that the majority of the time there is nothing wrong it other then it might be a little small or not a specific color.

For a fun note, for those that don't know, there is a reason why the produce and bakery departments are near the front of the store. It is to get you hungry from the sights and smells of fresh goods so you will subconsciously buy more. I've rambled on a bit much and am sorry about that.

Probably Replicator, but what I wouldn't give for the holodeck....

I went with Space Station, so long as a Dyson Sphere counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Veknazel View Post
    Holodeck, so I can finally live together with my imaginary girlfriend.
    I thought she lived i Canada?

I chose the replicator too, it helps with clothing, feeding and housing all humankind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    got to be some sort of sci-fi green energy that's really good and convenient, and that's what we need more than anything at the moment

10+ Year Old Account
    STC from WH40k
    Why have one technology.. When you can have all of it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    So you would be ok with a technology taking every piece of you apart even at a sub atomic level, shooting you through some kind of frequency to then reassemble you in the correct order exactly as before?

Yeah I'll pass
    Dude there's no such thing as a spirit/soul. If your atoms are reassembled it would simply be you in a different location.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    Body replicator with mind Transfer, aka eternal life
    Oh hey, someone thinking along the same lines as me!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Instantaneous transportation anywhere. Teleportation.

Everything else, we can solve, given time. But traveling the universe doesn't look like it's going to be a problem easy to solve if we want it to be doable on what we currently understand as human timescales.
    That's a good point. We would solve world hunger over night if we had teleportation, since there's often a lot of food waste in first world countries. We would just... send that food to third world countries instead. Same with medicine, and water purifiers, and so on. They could then ship raw materials and whatever they can make back to us by the same methods. Before long, everywhere would be a first world country with infrastructure and the like. You could even get (essentially) the same benefit as a replicator, just getting your food, clothes, etcetera from some warehouse. Human advancement would increase dramatically.

Thanks for giving me a better view of this!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Oh hey, someone thinking along the same lines as me!

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good point. We would solve world hunger over night if we had teleportation, since there's often a lot of food waste in first world countries. We would just... send that food to third world countries instead. Same with medicine, and water purifiers, and so on. They could then ship raw materials and whatever they can make back to us by the same methods. Before long, everywhere would be a first world country with infrastructure and the like. You could even get (essentially) the same benefit as a replicator, just getting your food, clothes, etcetera from some warehouse. Human advancement would increase dramatically.

Thanks for giving me a better view of this!
    was literally my reasoning.

replicators WILL require energy and a LOT of it. you cannot just create matter out of nothing, there is going to be significant cost. which.. there is in star trek. again, i bring up voyager and their need to stop using replicators all together, because they had to conserve fuel that apparently wasn't that easy to get. transporters on the other hand - they used constantly which leads me to believe - they use vastly smaller amounts of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Thing is, if the replicators that are being discussed are ST style, then they would run on power like your computer would. Hence the need to have a fusion type power generation that can be near 100% efficiency as all they are is a 100% matter/energy converter. By this point in time, hopefully, the mining for anything that would be fuel would probably done by robots and not by humans so who would you need to pay outside of the standard maintenance of the robots. Don't get me wrong, transporters are nice and all, however the same technology that goes into them also goes into replicators(once again, if we are using the ST style) as they are nothing more then matter/energy converters as all you are doing is recording an object on a subatomic scale, destroying said object, sending said data somewhere else, reassembling said object on a subatomic scale and imprinting anything that needs to be done as far as memory and consciousness goes. Funny thing is, why would you need a transporter when a replicator can pretty much recreate anything you would need a transporter for anyway outside of anything that is living. And to answer your question, it was shown numerous times that replicators are on planets. The reason why they generally only show them on starships or stations is because the majority of the show takes place on a ship or station.

OT: The reason why a produce section in a grocery store is setup the way it is has more to do with psychology then actual logistics reasons. I know this because I do work in one. Been in the business for a long time. People will generally shy away from anything(produce, dairy, meat, hell even dry goods) that has "too low" of a stock because of the notion that what may be wrong with it even if it is perfectly fine. The other thing is, most stores, when it comes to perishable goods, gets deliveries every other day or every day(for bread). The produce and dairy where I work at comes 3 times a week, baked good(bread) comes daily and meat/deli comes 4 times. Just to note, most distributers can send things out daily(most wont do it on sundays though), the stores choose not to get them due to paying for fuel costs. Things like Best By or Sell By dates, outside of baby food/formula, aren't regulated and are there only to show the customer when the manufacturer thinks their product is at its peak. Customers won't generally buy anything that is passed that and think the food is "spoiled". This might be true if something is months to years(which is another issue altogether) but if something is a day or two, at least in dry goods, it is perfectly fine.

Next time you are in one, for curiosity sake, watch someone sifting through something in the produce section and when they are done, see what they didn't buy and take a look at it yourself. I can guarantee that the majority of the time there is nothing wrong it other then it might be a little small or not a specific color.

For a fun note, for those that don't know, there is a reason why the produce and bakery departments are near the front of the store. It is to get you hungry from the sights and smells of fresh goods so you will subconsciously buy more. I've rambled on a bit much and am sorry about that.
    you know why people are so picky in first world countries? because they CAN be. not to mention all these veggies and fruits that are less then perfect - they are that way because of transportation issues. they literally get damaged in transport. teleporters would fix that. in case you didn't know, btw, produce that is imperfect when harvested - does NOT get thrown out. it gets converted into various preserves. apple sauce, tomato sauce, potato chips, etc etc etc. unbought produce could be transported back to fascilities that produce all these preserves.

a LOT of food waste can be easily prevented with better transportation, both to and from the stores, to other countries that need to produce, to places like Alaska where food costs are high, becasue transportation to it is so difficult, etc etc. because relative cost in energy of transporters is not only inexpensive, but would literally solve a lot of fuel shortages, because I just have this feeling that its going to be cheaper to operate transporter than a long range produce truck. especially when that truck has to use refrigeration (which is just about always). it will also help with pollution because a ton of that comes from fuel exhaust produced by cars and trucks.

and something that was also interesting to me. they have these replicators which they do occasionally use for minor tools and parts, but only occasionally and when they need them in a rush and have no other option. they STILL mine for and trade for various building materials. have you ever wondered why? I have. and I think its becasue its cheaper not to mention more readily available to actualy mine raw materials than try to replicate them.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-04-01 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Replicators hands down. They solve everything.
    It is solely responsible for eliminating jealousy/greed/envy/, medical issues and hunger in the Federation of Planets.

So yes, I agree with you.

While I would love all of these, being able to teleport to work and shit would be awesome, and a huge time saver.
    “We are living in an era when sanity is controversial and insanity is just another viewpoint—and degeneracy only another lifestyle." Thomas Sowell.

Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    depends can i teleport of this shitty planet?

if yes teleporter

if not the replicator
    A checker of some kind that checks spelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

The machine in prometheus that can detect anything wrong with your body and heal you.