Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Its not reductionist. They're trying to make the point that marriage itself is the cause of various postitive things such as greater health and economic prospects, when those same positives correlate positively with merely living with someone at all. It's not really a complex thing. We're social creatures and reap many benefits by being social.
    I don't want to disagree with you too vigorously by getting caught in the weeds on the specifics of marriage (I disagree with you there, but it's not worth covering at length here). I think the diminished marriage rate and unhappiness of the unmarried are both symptoms of societal problems and useful heuristics for poor outcomes. The decreased marriage rate is consistent with the impression of a society that's more disconnected, lonelier, and sadder than previous generations. This ties in with diminished sex rates, increased rates of depression, and other negative outcomes.

I don't think marriage is a silver bullet for millennials. My earlier sardonic reply to another poster that kicked off this line of discussion was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure millennials will then go back to forming normal, healthy marriages, it's just their grandparents that are preventing it right now
    It's not just marriage though - substitute "go back to forming normal, healthy pair-bonds" or "normal, healthy lifelong friendships" and the point is made even more strongly. All of these are problems.

If it wasn't for the 2007 recession, we millennials would be okay. That recession hurt.

The recession was started by Clinton who had a noble idea, everyone should be able to own their own home. So Clinton relaxed the lending rules. Banks lent to people who couldn't repay the loans. . .

Boom recession.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2019-03-30 at 07:54 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    If it wasn't for the 2007 recession, we millennials would be okay. That recession hurt.
    A lot built up towards that recession and things like the disappearance of living wages and the jacking up of college tuition was already well in the making.

Symptom, not the cause, is what the recession was.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Am millennial. Didn’t go to college. Still able to find a great job. You can blame people all you want, but that doesn’t change anything. You know who suffered the most from the recession? It was all those baby boomers who saw half their lifes savings vanish. Are things perfect? Absolutely not. Are we living in the greatest time in the history of mankind? Absolutely, so stop whining and appreciate the things you have.

Baby boomers got to experience the best times in America financially. One middle class income was enough to have a family, own multiple vehicles, own a nice house in a safe neighborhood, pay for healthcare and go on a nice vacation every year. My dad easily accomplished all that with our family of four, and he didn't even have a college degree.

These days, studies have shown that millenials make 20% less pay(adjusted for inflation)then boomers did, while the prices of housing, healthcare and college have skyrocketed beyond belief. Boomers respond with "work harder" which shows they don't understand the situation whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, as a Boomer, I can see what I need to do to help. As of this moment, I'm willing to have sex with more Millennials.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Blaming others for you not getting laid is just pathetic. Be it women/men, some previous generation, your physique...
    Look around you in the outside world and you'll notice that couples and hookups of all sizes and in all walks of life, exist.

That being said, perhaps life would get better if you didn't value yours solely upon whether you're getting laid or not. Yes, pop culture (American most of all) tends to glorify it, but in the end there's always men and women just wanting to have fun. Always were, even during times when it was illegal to have sex outside of a marriage. Sex is turned into some deity and no wonder it makes some people depressed/radicalized once they start blaming others for not being "able" to partake.

Watch the show The Undateables, lift your spirits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Alright, as a Boomer, I can see what I need to do to help. As of this moment, I'm willing to have sex with more Millennials.
    This gave me serious Starship Trooper infomercial vibes. I like!
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-03-31 at 02:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

@Queen of Hamsters I admit, I preferred the book, but I enjoyed the movie too.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Hahaha, I'll be honest I don't know how much or how little people are getting together. I think this report is silly. By the way I am an X'er so I am not involved
    Shhh, don't tell them that we exist or they might blame us GenX'ers for something..

Quote Originally Posted by Lenarific View Post
    What about the Poor Gen Xers like myself that's suffering because of both of you all...
    Yeah Poor Gen Xers like you & me are the meat in the sandwich between squabbling Millennials & Baby Boomers.

Oh well time play some more Nirvana & Soundgarden or the Cure..

icons of us Gen Xers
    & watch the gen spat go down.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

@Queen of Hamsters I admit, I preferred the book, but I enjoyed the movie too.

Movie left out the skinnies!!!

I cast some suspicion on those numbers. More likely the ratio of men willing to admit they aren't getting any has changed. Or the threshold for what "no sex" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    As a boomer... there are a few things I have to say.

Number 1: I am so so so so so so … so so so sorry
    To be fair, you didn't start the fire.

Also, it's not like subsequent generations have done much better. I've grown up watching Gen X morph into a bunch of shiftless slackers wallowing in nostalgia while doing jack shit to improve the world in which they live. They spun the wheels, and in some ways it's gone distinctly backwards. I doubt Millennials will perform much better. This generations thing is mostly nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    To be fair, you didn't start the fire.

Also, it's not like subsequent generations have done much better. I've grown up watching Gen X morph into a bunch of shiftless slackers wallowing in nostalgia while doing jack shit to improve the world in which they live. They spun the wheels, and in some ways it's gone distinctly backwards. I doubt Millennials will perform much better. This generations thing is mostly nonsense.
    We started our lives with a lot of advantages and nice features. We did not pass these advantages and nice features to the younger generations.

I agree that we did not start the fire. But we did not put it out either.

As far as Gen X and/or Millennials when they take over? It seems like Gen X will mostly get skipped over, and that there is a good chance that power will go from the Boomers directly to the Millennials. We'll know how well the Millennials did in a few decades.

fucking vampires

Am I the only one confused by where the thread title came from ?

All I can see is a study that doesn't seem to investigate or assign responsibility to any particular causes, and just provides demographics and data.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
    Most don't want to have to end up paying child support over an accident. The internet helps take care of any urges. But one thing that sticks out is women that like to use the rape card. After concenting to have sex with a guy. It's easier these days to have men arrested on false charges. MGTOW so far has worked. Most men aren't afraid of being alone and surviving. It works out just fine.
    Hahahaha. What a shitty life it must be when you assume that 50% of all people on Earth just want to falsely accuse you of raping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Hahahaha. What a shitty life it must be when you assume that 50% of all people on Earth just want to falsely accuse you of raping them.
    Not really, when you get to make fun of all the single moms out there. Who dated the as*hole while ignoring guys that a future with good paying jobs. These days there is so many single moms out there. Not all guys want to help take care of someone elses kids. It's hard finding someone that doesn't already have kids. Unless your trying to hook up with someone straight out of college. The single moms tend to keep attracting the same losers over and over. Getting pregnant by the same deadbeat fathers. Some of which already have kids by multiple women. It's an endless cycle that will keep going on. Because humans confuse love when its really just hormones.

People are people. Blaming generations is pointless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    People are people. Blaming generations is pointless.
    Preach buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.467daaa03f95

You know your country is in complete omnishambles when young people literally become so isolated that they won't engage in normal interactions with each other. Thanks for the 2007 financial meltdown, boomers. Thanks for useless college degrees. Thanks for beyond ludicrous hiring requirements. Thanks for stagnated wages. Thanks for inflated housing prices. Thanks for destroying the economy. Feel proud of being the generation that fucked our once great country right into the ground.
    Looks like your RL raider.io score needs a little work. While there are plenty of issues for anybody, there are plenty of ways to deal with them too. So instead of just blaming others and shouting at the sun, sort it out and move forward.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."