Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Zajras View Post
    You should be paid by your productivity and value

    People who take responsibility and have worked hard to get where they are should be paid more than people that take no responsibility and have no skills
    Good way to assess the value of a job on society is to see what happens when someone stops doing it.

    Bin men go on strike and in a big city it normally takes a week or 2 for people to start getting really annoyed and not much longer for their to be real consequences.

    In Ireland the banking sector went on strike for and it made practically no difference.

    Why then should those in the banking sector earn more than bin men?

  2. #22
    Where is all of this money supposed to some from? The only way to get it from the wealthy is to tax it away from them, but we all know that's never going to happen. The government itself can't come up with that kind of income. The only form of fundraising they do is taxation. You can't tax the poor to feed the poor. The only other alternative is to just start printing more money out of thin air, which drives the value down substantially. You can't make something from nothing.

  3. #23
    Immortal Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    Where is all of this money supposed to some from? The only way to get it from the wealthy is to tax it away from them, but we all know that's never going to happen. The government itself can't come up with that kind of income. The only form of fundraising they do is taxation. You can't tax the poor to feed the poor. The only other alternative is to just start printing more money out of thin air, which drives the value down substantially. You can't make something from nothing.
    When someone doesn't read the story at all....

  4. #24
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    This is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. This is exactly how some players feel when some rare thing lands into the hands of someone who didn't do the same work as them and then whines and complains about wanting to be a snowflake. It's dumb with pixels and it's dumb with money.
    It makes a bit of sense if their pay was slashed to cover the cost, but otherwise they're just idiots..

    OT: Good on them for actually paying their workers a decent wage

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    Where is all of this money supposed to some from? The only way to get it from the wealthy is to tax it away from them, but we all know that's never going to happen. The government itself can't come up with that kind of income. The only form of fundraising they do is taxation. You can't tax the poor to feed the poor. The only other alternative is to just start printing more money out of thin air, which drives the value down substantially. You can't make something from nothing.
    If a country manages to keep personal gain out of politics, for example, by harsh anti-corruption laws, and monitoring the economy of elected officials closely, you can actually tax the rich more, and it will benefit society. Not saying that a CEO should make the same as the receptionist, but just reversing the trend of today, and make sure the rich are only kings among peasants, and not gods among insects.
    Mother pus bucket!

  6. #26
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    Where is all of this money supposed to some from? The only way to get it from the wealthy is to tax it away from them, but we all know that's never going to happen. The government itself can't come up with that kind of income. The only form of fundraising they do is taxation. You can't tax the poor to feed the poor. The only other alternative is to just start printing more money out of thin air, which drives the value down substantially. You can't make something from nothing.
    .. wat?
    It's a company that's doing this, and they did it years ago. The money came from the CEO going down in pay and probably slashing profits a bit

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Zajras View Post
    You should be paid by your productivity and value

    People who take responsibility and have worked hard to get where they are should be paid more than people that take no responsibility and have no skills
    Do the people that built your house, the roads you drive on, or the indoor plumbing and electricity you use worth less than some corporate hack who's sole purpose is to crush other companies and by doing so also crush other peoples' lives? A fairly common practice these days. Which do you think you could live without first?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    .. wat?
    It's a company that's doing this, and they did it years ago. The money came from the CEO going down in pay and probably slashing profits a bit
    I get that, and it works for them for the reason that someone explained above. Mine is just a general statement that it would be impossible to implement on a national level for the whole population. I may or may not have knee-jerked a reaction. I'll never tell... unless I just did.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    If a country manages to keep personal gain out of politics, for example, by harsh anti-corruption laws, and monitoring the economy of elected officials closely, you can actually tax the rich more, and it will benefit society. Not saying that a CEO should make the same as the receptionist, but just reversing the trend of today, and make sure the rich are only kings among peasants, and not gods among insects.
    I don't disagree with you. Here in the US, the corruption has been left to grow for far too long. It's too deeply rooted in the system to be excised without destroying the whole system in the process. The only way to "fix" it would be to destroy the whole system and rebuild it, but we aren't going to do that because we can't agree on a system that works. With nothing to replace it, this is the system we're stuck with until someone comes and changes it for us. Whether it be from within our own community, or from outside "influence'. Even then we would just effectively be replacing one bad system with another because, even with the best intention, all systems are corruptible. Except for one: Natural Selection.

    I derailed it. I'm sorry. I'll just go now.
    Last edited by Surreality; 2019-03-31 at 03:54 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    I get that, and it works for them for the reason that someone explained above. Mine is just a general statement that it would be impossible to implement on a national level for the whole population. I may or may not have knee-jerked a reaction. I'll never tell... unless I just did.
    You are right can you imagine the horror of CEOs having to live on less millions than the millions they already have, if a CEO goes from 15 million to 5 million that's almost poverty /s

  9. #29
    What on earth does a private company's pay structure have to do with a government minimum wage? I get the impression the OP is trying to insinuate that a company surviving with an egalitarian pay structure is somehow proof that socialist minimum wages are economically valid or ethical, of which they are neither.

  10. #30
    Rush Limbaugh declared, “I hope this company is a case study in M.B.A. programs on how socialism does not work, because it’s going to fail.”
    How is this Socialism?

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by gioderpington View Post
    You drastically under estimate how much corporate heads take home. Note that the dude cut his own pay to 70k from 1.1 million. Imagine if Jeff Bezos cut his billions to millions. Amazon could probably keep up with that easily. McDonald's could probably easily do 45k a year. Definitely wouldn't work for every business, but there are plenty that could.
    Whoa whoa. That sounds suspiciously like trickle down economics. Wayyy to extremist

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Why then should those in the banking sector earn more than bin men?
    They shouldn't.

    We attach high value to the wrong jobs. Bin men are far more important than some random jerkoff who sits behind a counter in a bank all day.
    See me for the stick up your arse, when applying for moderator. The stick is gratis.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    Do the people that built your house, the roads you drive on, or the indoor plumbing and electricity you use worth less than some corporate hack who's sole purpose is to crush other companies and by doing so also crush other peoples' lives? A fairly common practice these days. Which do you think you could live without first?
    Nothing has inherent worth. Prices are driven by markets. Someone who can make a million a year for his company is worth more than a plumber because his work generates more earnings and there is a smaller supply of people capable of performing to that level.

    Now if we lived in a dystopia in which the sanitation system was falling apart then plumbers would be worth whatever they wanted, people would be throwing money at them, same with builders and electricians. But we don't. Things generally work, there are a lot of skilled tradies around, they are cheap thanks to illegal immigration suppressing wages (thanks leftists!).

    At the current time, financial services are one of the most in-demand markets for skilled work. In the future when AI takes over financial services the demand will switch to something else, just as how elite blacksmiths aren't as wealthy and demanded as they were hundreds of years ago.

    You socialist kids have really fucked up ideas about economics, that is obvious. You think work has inherent worth. You think wealth is a zero-sum. This is what leads you to really stupid conclusions and political philosophies.

  13. #33
    Merely a Setback Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    26,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Literal retards.
    I really can't stand this mindset. "WAAAAAH OTHER PEOPLE ARE GETTING WHAT I'VE GOT!!!"

    It's the same as in WoW. "But I raided for this gear and now Bliztard is going to put the same gear with less ilevel in LFR? THIS IS A SLAP IN MY FACE! Other people might have what I have!!!!!"
    3.6 roentgen . . . not great, not terrible. - Comrade Dyatlov

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Good way to assess the value of a job on society is to see what happens when someone stops doing it.

    Bin men go on strike and in a big city it normally takes a week or 2 for people to start getting really annoyed and not much longer for their to be real consequences.

    In Ireland the banking sector went on strike for and it made practically no difference.

    Why then should those in the banking sector earn more than bin men?
    You can replace bin men with virtually anyone though, not so for bankers

  15. #35
    Old God I Push Buttons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I really can't stand this mindset. "WAAAAAH OTHER PEOPLE ARE GETTING WHAT I'VE GOT!!!"

    It's the same as in WoW. "But I raided for this gear and now Bliztard is going to put the same gear with less ilevel in LFR? THIS IS A SLAP IN MY FACE! Other people might have what I have!!!!!"
    You would be perfectly fine with slaving away at a job for years worth of meager wage increases to finally reach $70k/year, only for your boss to then start paying all of the newest/lowest/least experienced employees $70k/year as a publicity stunt while not paying you anything more?

  16. #36
    This is my favourite bit:

    Rush Limbaugh declared, “I hope this company is a case study in M.B.A. programs on how socialism does not work, because it’s going to fail.”

    So according to Rush Limbaugh paying your employees a good wage is socialism.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    You would be perfectly fine with slaving away at a job for years worth of meager wage increases to finally reach $70k/year, only for your boss to then start paying all of the newest/lowest/least experienced employees $70k/year as a publicity stunt while not paying you anything more?
    It never indicated that people didn't get raises that were already there. The article says the new minimum was $70,000.

    People who quit wanted more and that's just a temper tantrum on their part.

    Also there's the point in the article where not everyone takes a job for the paycheck....

    The pay raise also helped attract new employees — including some who yearned to join a company with values. Tammi Kroll, a Yahoo executive, took an 80 percent pay cut to move to Gravity, where she is now chief operating officer.
    Last edited by Captain N; 2019-03-31 at 05:08 PM.
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life."
    - Jean-Luc Picard
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
    ― Malcolm X, By Any Means Necessary

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    Seattle being a left wing place, a lot of their new hires and customers want to work with a company that has Gravity Payments values so that helps too.
    This exactly. Even if you cynically cry "VIRTUE SIGNALING" some people are gonna want to feel good about the company they work for.
    What have the years of your life taught you to be?

  19. #39
    It says a minimum of 70k so there are people are getting paid more if they have higher value, something that is essential. It's good as long as they can afford it.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Been saying this since the first put forth the $70k starting pay that it wouldn't fail. I've worked for a Company that starts new hires out at $50k-$60k for 10 years and we're still hiring.

    Good on Gravity for adding to the evidence that raising employee wages isn't going to tank the Company.

    It will work to make sure you get the best of the best workers applying to your company.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •