Thread: Contacts

Contacts

So I got contacts about 4 days ago, just wondering how long it took you all to get accustomed to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    So I got contacts about 4 days ago, just wondering how long it took you all to get accustomed to them?
    I hated contacts
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember how long it took me to get used to them, but I wore them for 12 years until I just got laser eye surgery last month. Took a few weeks before I stopped reaching for my glasses in the morning after waking up. So probably about the same for getting used to contacts, because they weren't difficult for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    you never actually "get used " to them , if you mean the physical sensation of them

Quote Originally Posted by LoaThaFett View Post
    you never actually "get used " to them , if you mean the physical sensation of them
    Most of the time I forget I have them in, unless they are dry or something.

Three or four days maybe a week.

Less than a day? I recommend trying a different type of contacts if you don't get used to them soon, or a different solution.

Quote Originally Posted by LoaThaFett View Post
    You might have some sort of allergy or astigmatism if you feel that way, I don't feel mine at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Less than a day? I recommend trying a different type of contacts if you don't get used to them soon, or a different solution.

You might have some sort of allergy or astigmatism if you feel that way, I don't feel mine at all.
    I believe I’m using Acuvu Oasys. Opti-Free solution.
    I go in on the 12th to order a 4 month supply.

I believe I’m using Acuvu Oasys. Opti-Free solution.
    I go in on the 12th to order a 4 month supply.
    Ask to trial a different brand if you're having issues, before you order more contacts. Most places will give you a pair for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    like 5 minutes, these are daily lenses only though so they might feel different.
    Last edited by Zelk; 2019-03-31 at 10:54 PM.

Ask to trial a different brand if you're having issues, before you order more contacts. Most places will give you a pair for free.
    Alright sounds good, thanks!

I think I'm still getting used to them. I mean I've been like blind as a bat for 13 (yes, thirteen) years. I've never had glasses or any kind of contacts whatsoever.
    It was extremely noticeable on the first day of wearing them, the second day was better, as was the third and now the fourth. It just feels like there's something in my eye and I hate it lmao.

I was told to wear them for 5 hours first day, 7 the next, 9 the next, 11 the next and then all day. (8am to about 9pm or so) It just feels like my eyes are dry as hell, I'm not sure if they actually ARE dry or if I'm just getting used to contacts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    like 5 minutes, these are daily lenses only though so they might feel different.
    Mine are traditional, wear for 2 to 4 weeks and then dispose

5+ Year Old Account
    I never got used to them. I have long eyelashes for a guy, and honestly I'm a total pansy about shit in my eye. Getting them in was hard (eyelashes), and I could never master the "pinch and pull" technique for getting them out. So, no peripheral vision for me.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    It took me a while. I started wearing glasses at age 12 and didn't start wearing contacts until I was in my late 20's. So it was a bit of a shock for me.

Make sure to speak up and let the eye doctor know if you have discomfort or issues. There are all kinds of different types and brands of contacts. They'll usually work with you to find the right "fit" for you.

I had a lot of problems at first (mostly discomfort, feeling like something was stuck in my eyes when I wore them, etc). The staff there worked with me quite a lot on it (even going as far as a second eye exam a week later without charging me a dime). Usually what they'd do is switch me to a different brand, send me home with a week's supply (usually samples, so at no charge), and let me decide if I liked them or not. We went through 3-4 different types/brands before we found something that worked for me. I'm 34 now and have been wearing contacts for years without any further problems. Turned out, the dailies (just throw them in the trash and put on a fresh pair the next morning) worked best for me.

Also, one bit of advice I'll give you is to keep a "backup" pair of glasses handy at all times. I just get a really cheap pair of my prescription glasses and keep them in a case in the car. It's not often, but I've once or twice had an issue where a contact tore, got dried out if I wore them too long, etc. I can't see well enough to drive safely without them, so I always keep the backup glasses in the car in case something does happen.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-04-01 at 02:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    what type gas permeable or soft lenses? Soft contacts are more gentle on the eyes but I hate that everytime I blink they rotate and that never stops. I prefer gas permeable as they don't shift in your eyes but most people are wimps and can't handle the time it takes to get used to them.

About a day, but my eyes are very dry and prone to allergic reactions, so I do notice if have them on. Or rather, I would, but ketotifen fumarate + hyaluronic acid eye drops make that a non-issue to the point I sometimes forget to take them off before hitting the bed, and then I wake up a falmer in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Mine gave me like a week's supply (for free) of the first brand and told me to call them in about a week to let them know if they worked or not. They told me up front that we might have to go through a couple of different brands (at least) to find out what worked for me. If not, they'd give me a week's supply of something else. I think I started with Acuvue Oasys, then went with Air Optix (which worked a little better but still not perfect), then some other Acuvue version, then finally settled on AquaComfort Plus after those seemed to work the best.

Astigmatism made things a little trickier in my case (I guess there's a difference between regular contacts and ones made for astigmatism). But we eventually found the right fit for me, and I've had no problems for years.

edit: and yeah there are lenses you wear for different lengths of time as well. I started out with monthly lenses that you'd soak in solution overnight and throw away after about a month. I eventually settled on just going with dailies that you pull out and throw in the trash at the end of every day and put on a fresh pair the next morning. Those worked a lot better for me because I found that the monthly ones seemed to get uncomfortable after a couple of weeks even when they were being soaked in solution every night. I just get like 90-day supplies of the dailies now.

My sister even had some that she didn't have to take out while sleeping. I can't imagine that though. Mine aren't specifically made to stay in while sleeping, but the one time I accidentally fell asleep with them on, I almost never got them out afterwards and had a headache for a day.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-04-01 at 02:34 AM.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    When I first got them as a young teenager, I would get extremely frustrated trying to get them in after a week or two, it got a lot easier. 10 years later I can take them in and out without a mirror easily. I'm still not that good at taking them out daily but I use the air optix brand that makes sleeping with them in less harmful.