Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Drawn&quartered sounds good to you? Public square, yeah? Can clean the spilled guts later on, no biggie.

It's funny how there are SO MANY people here that come with variations of this theme, yet they think stoning or beheading in other countries is "savage".

Consistency, guys. Consistency.
    yea dude, they totally mean stoning of murderers and not shit like stoning women for having sex outside of marriage or being gay... https://www.npr.org/2019/04/03/70935...-criminal-laws
    35,145 islamic attacks since Sept 11 2001
    2019: 785 islamic attacks in 41 countries, in which 4,326 people were killed and 4,633 injured.

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    yea dude, they totally mean stoning of murderers and not shit like stoning women for having sex outside of marriage or being gay... https://www.npr.org/2019/04/03/70935...-criminal-laws
    https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...fixion/567128/

Even as it excoriated Canada for scolding it over human rights, Saudi Arabia beheaded a man Wednesday in Mecca, then put his body on public display, for allegedly stabbing a woman to death. The method of punishment is known in Saudi Arabia as a crucifixion, which the government says is sanctioned by Islamic law, and is reserved for only the most severe crimes in the kingdom.

The suspect in this case was a man from Myanmar who was accused of breaking into the home of a Burmese woman and repeatedly stabbing her until she died, according to Bloomberg. He was also charged with weapons theft, the attempted murder of another man, and the attempted rape of another woman.

Why do these muslim majority countries want to kill homosexuals so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Vatrilian View Post
    Article was about a murder. You know very well that we can't go explaining what you want to discuss, I don't condone it, but also would get infracted for talking about it.

Article was about a murder. You know very well that we can't go explaining what you want to discuss, I don't condone it, but also would get infracted for talking about it.
    lol does mmo-c have blasphemy laws now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vatrilian View Post
    I think the better question is, why does the western left try so hard to brush it under the rug.

"islamophobia" is nothing more than the gag order to not talk about the atrocities being committed by the thousands every day.
    2019: 785 islamic attacks in 41 countries, in which 4,326 people were killed and 4,633 injured.

The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    lol does mmo-c have blasphemy laws now?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the better question is, why does the western left try so hard to brush it under the rug.

"islamophobia" is nothing more than the gag order to not talk about the atrocities being committed by the thousands every day.
    religion is not a topic that is allowed to be discussed. you would know that if you read the forum faq.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    religion is not a topic that is allowed to be discussed. you would know that if you read the forum faq.
    Go take a look at that list, most of what's listed is talked about daily, even by the mods...

hell politics subform is conspiracy central now.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Then it's not cruel as it isn't pain caused intentionally, but rather pain caused incidentally. Nowhere does it say their intent is to have this happen. It's a byproduct.
    If you have the option to cause less pain and you chose not to do so, then you intent to cause pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Honestly all this could be avoided with the firing squad.
    All this could just be avoided by not having a barbarous punishment such as government sponsored revenge murder - oh, sorry, i mean the death penalty.

This the US or Saudi Arabia or Iran? All gathering in a crowd around someone and killing someone? I bet you find that barbaric as fuck when its a bunch of muslims doing it, but when its a bunch of Americans, its just fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Islam is a race. End of discussion.
    Nazi btw

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Given that it seems they can barely make lethal injection humane, I'm highly skeptical of their ability to actually kill in a swift stroke in the first place.

Not that death penalty has any use anyway, it's not much less costly or shorter to carry out than life incarceration and mostly serves to satisfy some weird revenge boner. Killing the guy, painfully or not, isn't bringing anyone back.
    During the french revolution there were doctors tasked with assessing how long after decapitation the head remained concious by assessing responsiveness. The general concensus was that a person remains concious for about 30 seconds after having their head chopped off. Does not seem humane in any way.

The death penalty just state-sanctioned murder and indicates quite well how developed a country the US really is.

Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    My question is how much pain did this guy's victim suffer ?? And why should he suffer less !!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Retributive justice isn't "primal". Disproportionate retaliation is, but the basic principle was a core of a less primal system for millenia and was argued for by Kant and Hegel. If you feel like you've risen above Kantian ethics, you're probably just being smugly self satisfied rather than a genuinely careful thinker.
    Revenge is not justice.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-04-04 at 09:32 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Revenge is not justice.
    Sometimes a reply can be recycled without needing any changes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This isn't an argument, it's a blunt assertion that doesn't even begin to deal substantially with the positions held by people that advocate for retributive justice. Here, start with the primer on it from Stanford. Even if you find it completely unconvincing, you should at least come away understanding why other people don't find "well, now it's the current year" all that convincing of a reply.

Justice is NOT blind, nor perfect. It makes mistakes. I didn't lie one bit. Feel free to deal with the article in that way. I USED the article to promote MY THOUGHTS about why capital punishment should not exist. It's as easy as that.

These forums are not conducive to discussion unless there's a source of authority for the content. If I would write my own opinion, I would be trolled by people with "we don;t care, make your own blog".

So here ya go, Slate article. Not to generate rage. But to discuss capital punishment, and its removal.
    For the vast majority of crimes, yes, capital punishment should be banned from. However, there are times when it is honestly the only punishment(as that is what it is, punishment only and not a deterrent). Things like heads of states causing massacres, persons who, not only kill, but toy and gain pleasure from torturing their victims. Persons who not only have shown that they cannot be rehabilitated but will repeat said crimes again and again, even while in prison. Granted, there should be no doubt said crimes were committed and I do mean no doubt. I don't and wont feel pity for those who get the death penalty for crimes such as these as no other punishment can fit the crime. But for all other types of crimes, life in prison is more appropriate.

If someone has proven themselves to be so vile, so hideous, so sadistic and so evil by committing those types of crimes, then they have proven themselves to be not human.

Unsure what would be the best solution to deal with crime. But I do know that it should not be hard to avoid causing suffering as retribution. Lex Talionis is inadequate and ancient. IMO.
    I agree with the general thrust of that.

However, punishment should be punishment. Its function is to serve as a deterrent. We're at a stage where NGO's, having mostly defeated death sentences on this side of the pond, are campaigning against life sentences as too harsh and cruel. There are campaigns to make prisons in general less severe. Sorry, punishments are supposed to be bad. I don't think we should go out of our way to make them worse, but neither do I support the luxury that monster Breivik enjoys. Animalistic, maybe, but we are animals. We are not yet at a stage where all people observe and obey laws because it is the right thing. I'm sad to write this and I applaud your idealism, but civilization needs rules and needs to enforce those rules. A free-for-all does not end well for most of those involved, though it is lauded by those who come out on top.

In this specific case, again, I would not torture the guy, but if his just and prescribed punishment causes suffering due to a condition he picked up in all those years spent trying to evade justice - well, I won't shed a tear.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-04-04 at 01:13 PM.

EDIT: Adding Reuters perspective, as it seems less biased. I cannot modify the title.

Death row inmates not guaranteed 'painless' execution, U.S. Supreme Court says

Original Slate post below.

In an appalling death penalty opinion, Justice Neil Gorsuch just overturned 60 years of precedent.

ARTICLE

I wish this was April Fools, but it certainly looks like it's not. The title is a bit melodramatic, but with a point. I'm gonna leave it as such.

Reading the actual article before commenting is recommended.

These are the REAL consequences of electing conservatives.

As it is probably obvious, I am against ALL capital punishment. This should simply not be a thing. I am against any "vengeance" type of policy and law, and for protecting society by isolating those responsible for heinous crimes from it.
    So much clickbaiting.
    For some people, everything is a moral question. If you agree with them, you are virtuous. If you don't, you are a monster.
    Proof Elizabeth Warren lied about being Native American
    A Congress woman who doesn't know the 3 branches of Government.
    Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You said could but it has already been proven it doesn't...
    Then I guess there is no harm in doing it. Since it may be ineffective, painful death is permanent. At least their last emotions before leaving this world will be agony and pain... just like their victims.

Won't someone please feel bad for the murderers!? Fuck deathrow inmates, they have it far too good.
    Working on my next ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    This the US or Saudi Arabia or Iran? All gathering in a crowd around someone and killing someone? I bet you find that barbaric as fuck when its a bunch of muslims doing it, but when its a bunch of Americans, its just fine!
    That was the point I was trying to make. It's barbaric in all of these cases. The idea is to rise above the urge to exact vengeance and punishment and simply choose to protect the society from evil&harm, which is relatively easy to do with isolation.

Anyway, if one opposes death penalty in Muslim countries, they have to oppose it in the US as well. If they don't, they are incredibly inconsistent, and it's pretty much a show of bias towards "when we do it it's just fine, when others do it they're evil and backwards and we should export some democracy to them".

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    Then I guess there is no harm in doing it. Since it may be ineffective, painful death is permanent. At least their last emotions before leaving this world will be agony and pain... just like their victims.
    Exactly how is that "helping" society?

They have a family are you aware of that? You want the subject the family of the criminal to such abhorrent anguish?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jingoism View Post
    Won't someone please feel bad for the murderers!? Fuck deathrow inmates, they have it far too good.
    Far too good?

Conservative estimates say 4% of those on death row are innocent that was the most conservative estimate,. It lies between 4-8% You're all for a failure rate of 4-8% that kills innocent people?