Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    572

    Hypothesis about Old Gods

    What if they have their own plane of existence or even perhaps their own planet? Seeing as they can be found on Dreanor, Azeroth and possibly Argus it makes a bit of sense that they shift in and out of planes of existence or like the demons of the Legion did when they were 'killed'. If true how would we even get there to defeat them?

  2. #2
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    20,195
    I've always assumed they exist in a realm adjacent to or part of the Void itself, some form of penumbra or parallel reality in that general locale. As for getting to them, we've entered the Void itself (during Legion) as well as a number of other higher/lower realms. I don't think getting to them would be too insurmountable of a logistical issue.
    "The finest line of poetry ever uttered in the history of this whole damn country was said by Canada Bill Jones in 1853, in Baton Rouge, while he was being robbed blind in a crooked game of Faro. George Devol, who was, like Canada Bill, not a man who was averse to fleecing the odd sucker, drew Bill aside and asked him if he couldn't see that the game was crooked. And Canada Bill sighed, and shrugged his shoulders, and said, 'I know. But it's the only game in town.' And he went back to the game." -- Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"

  3. #3
    They come from somewhere in the void, and an unknown amount of them were thrown through the universe in hopes they would land on a planet that just so happened to be a World Soul, somehow Azeroth managed to get 4 or "5" land on it
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

  4. #4
    Vol'zith the Whisperer claimed that he would journey to Ny'alotha upon his death. The Old Gods themselves are stated to neither live nor die, as they are outside the cycle. Blizzard wants to convince me that the Old Gods faced until now are dead, and yet they drop the striking evidence of Vol'zith that suggests that all minions of the Old Gods return to some plane upon their death. Unless Ny'alotha is some kind of afterlife for the Old Gods, then they will return. It wouldn't surprise me if at the end of this mess of an expansion, N'zoth resurrects C'thun, Yogg-Saron, and Y'shaarj and this leads into an actual Old God expansion free of the garbage that is faction war.
    Remember, control demands sacrifice. Power never comes without a price. You risk losing those closest to you in order to save them. This is the bargain we have made.

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord Maxrokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Zuldazar
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I've always assumed they exist in a realm adjacent to or part of the Void itself, some form of penumbra or parallel reality in that general locale. As for getting to them, we've entered the Void itself (during Legion) as well as a number of other higher/lower realms. I don't think getting to them would be too insurmountable of a logistical issue.
    Since Legion I got the vibes of the nine realms of the norse mythology because we have the twister nether(fel), the void dimension that you mentioned in the quest with Alleria and Locus Walker, the shadowlands, Azeroth with the great dark beyond(Midgard) and surely the realm of arcane/orden exist if we take account the blue dragonfly found Aluneth in other dimension and the emerald dream could be expanded as some pocket dimension inside of the realm plane of Life just like Helheim with the shadowlands, hehe maybe that was the hint we should had catched with Odyn and Helya introduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

  6. #6
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I've always assumed they exist in a realm adjacent to or part of the Void itself, some form of penumbra or parallel reality in that general locale. As for getting to them, we've entered the Void itself (during Legion) as well as a number of other higher/lower realms. I don't think getting to them would be too insurmountable of a logistical issue.
    But do you think our minds could handle it? Seems like only a certain few can do that.

  7. #7
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    20,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    But do you think our minds could handle it? Seems like only a certain few can do that.
    We seem to handle it temporarily, at least - although a longer term stay might have some deleterious effects on a regular person's sanity.
    "The finest line of poetry ever uttered in the history of this whole damn country was said by Canada Bill Jones in 1853, in Baton Rouge, while he was being robbed blind in a crooked game of Faro. George Devol, who was, like Canada Bill, not a man who was averse to fleecing the odd sucker, drew Bill aside and asked him if he couldn't see that the game was crooked. And Canada Bill sighed, and shrugged his shoulders, and said, 'I know. But it's the only game in town.' And he went back to the game." -- Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"

  8. #8
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vineland, Cumberland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    5,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I've always assumed they exist in a realm adjacent to or part of the Void itself, some form of penumbra or parallel reality in that general locale. As for getting to them, we've entered the Void itself (during Legion) as well as a number of other higher/lower realms. I don't think getting to them would be too insurmountable of a logistical issue.
    We went to the void realm? Thought we went into the twisting nether

  9. #9
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    We went to the void realm? Thought we went into the twisting nether
    Elves went to the Void realm. The rest of us did not which makes me think only elves have the mental fortitude to handle the void realm. If you notice in the twilight cult there are people of every race in it except any variety of elf.

  10. #10
    Scarab Lord Maxrokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Zuldazar
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Elves went to the Void realm. The rest of us did not which makes me think only elves have the mental fortitude to handle the void realm. If you notice in the twilight cult there are people of every race in it except any variety of elf.
    There are some blood elves in the therazane plane being cultist and the assassin boss in the dungeon of end times is a rogue blood elf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

  11. #11
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    20,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    We went to the void realm? Thought we went into the twisting nether
    You go into the Void with Alleria in Mac'Aree during the quest-chain that opens up concerning Arkhaan, eventually meeting Locus-Walker and so forth. Arkhaan crosses over into the Void to heed the call of "Isolon," actually Viceroy Nezhar of the Shadowguard Ethereals, and you and Alleria follow him. After a Void-empowered Arkhaan is defeated you are withdrawn from the Void by Locus-Walker.
    "The finest line of poetry ever uttered in the history of this whole damn country was said by Canada Bill Jones in 1853, in Baton Rouge, while he was being robbed blind in a crooked game of Faro. George Devol, who was, like Canada Bill, not a man who was averse to fleecing the odd sucker, drew Bill aside and asked him if he couldn't see that the game was crooked. And Canada Bill sighed, and shrugged his shoulders, and said, 'I know. But it's the only game in town.' And he went back to the game." -- Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"

  12. #12
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    There are some blood elves in the therazane plane being cultist and the assassin boss in the dungeon of end times is a rogue blood elf.
    I had forgotten about that.

  13. #13
    I wonder if that void realm is the same Twilight Realm that you enter in Cata.

    If so, that may well be what's on the other side of that darkness Old Gods pop their head out of to fight us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Someone at BioWare said it best a couple of years ago:
    "You could give the player a [Magic Hat] that would give them the exact gaming experience they ever wanted, and they would still complain about the colour of the hat."

  14. #14
    I'm still of the mind that the Shadowlands are the original mindscape of Azeroth, before the Titans realised she'll become a Titan of Decay, and pumped her full of Emerald Dreamy prozac. That's why there's so many Old Gods on her since they seem to feed off (chaos, life) entropy (the inverse of decay).

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord Maxrokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Zuldazar
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I wonder if that void realm is the same Twilight Realm that you enter in Cata.

    If so, that may well be what's on the other side of that darkness Old Gods pop their head out of to fight us.
    Twilight realm could be some pocket dimension inside of the void, just like the many planes that are inside of the shadowlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    I'm still of the mind that the Shadowlands are the original mindscape of Azeroth, before the Titans realised she'll become a Titan of Decay, and pumped her full of Emerald Dreamy prozac. That's why there's so many Old Gods on her since they seem to feed off (chaos, life) entropy (the inverse of decay).
    That kind of goes against the established lore though. With the Old Gods flung out into the universe at random, and the Shadowlands coming into existence with the first mortal death on her surface.

    Titans are said to develop only when they have mortal life on their surface. I suppose their minds learn concepts through the lives of these mortals. In this case, learning about the concepts of dreaming and death, through these much smaller aspects of themselves that inhabit their surface. Or maybe it goes both ways, and the Emerald Dream as a concept was tied to the essence of dreams to give mortal minds a place to imagine and dream during the void of night, and the Shadowlands formed for Azeroth to catch people's souls and shape an afterlife, to shield them from oblivion in death. Regardless of where the truth lies, I kind of like to think there's some form of symbiosis going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Someone at BioWare said it best a couple of years ago:
    "You could give the player a [Magic Hat] that would give them the exact gaming experience they ever wanted, and they would still complain about the colour of the hat."

  17. #17
    Titan Arafal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    In your Nightmares
    Posts
    12,482
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    I'm still of the mind that the Shadowlands are the original mindscape of Azeroth, before the Titans realised she'll become a Titan of Decay, and pumped her full of Emerald Dreamy prozac. That's why there's so many Old Gods on her since they seem to feed off (chaos, life) entropy (the inverse of decay).
    That pretty much goes against established lore.

    The shadowlands are warcrafts realm of the dead, its not in any way tied to azeroth.
    It existed ever since life formed in the universe, most probably long before azeroth, or even the titans ever formed.
    While the emerald dream was molded by freya from azeroths own dreams, she didn't create it to emeraldinize azeroth or whatever.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    What if they have their own plane of existence
    *ahem*
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Void

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord Maxrokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Zuldazar
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    That pretty much goes against established lore.

    The shadowlands are warcrafts realm of the dead, its not in any way tied to azeroth.
    It existed ever since life formed in the universe, most probably long before azeroth, or even the titans ever formed.
    While the emerald dream was molded by freya from azeroths own dreams, she didn't create it to emeraldinize azeroth or whatever.
    Always wonder how the shadowlands works with others afterlife, I mean we have seen the light and void has 1 and bwonsamdi has his own pocket dimension that works as afterlife for the souls he collects under some boss, what is the true role of that plane if anyone can have their own afterlife dimension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Always wonder how the shadowlands works with others afterlife, I mean we have seen the light and void has 1 and bwonsamdi has his own pocket dimension that works as afterlife for the souls he collects under some boss, what is the true role of that plane if anyone can have their own afterlife dimension.
    I think it is like making a company. Theoretically everyone can do that, but they need budget and much paperwork first. Bwonsamdi is said to have some boss, after all. Maybe Shadowlands is like the Internet, where there are multiple websites, but they all are part of one thing?
    I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread

  20. #20
    Scarab Lord Maxrokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Zuldazar
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    I think it is like making a company. Theoretically everyone can do that, but they need budget and much paperwork first. Bwonsamdi is said to have some boss, after all. Maybe Shadowlands is like the Internet, where there are multiple websites, but they all are part of one thing?
    Oh I like your theory and certantly fits with the whole bargain thing since even the shadow that Odyn summoned wanted to make a deal instead of going full "kill all"
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •