Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This actually looks like it might be the best joker yet. Ledger's was overrated.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I like this direction, we never see joker origin stories and I expect it to be a type of Shakespearean tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I like this direction, we never see joker origin stories and I expect it to be a type of Shakespearean tragedy.
    I think we all know for sure, that his mom is going down.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Lol, this looks like it will be popular with the edge boys.

"The Joker is totally misunderstood and the real victim, maaan. The psychopathic mass murderer has a point!"
    What do you actually like Elba?

Like what would you like to see in a comic book movie? A total lack of nuance or grey morality? The concept of "good is good" and "bad is bad" just because that's just the way it is tends to get stale pretty quickly.

There's nothing wrong with tragic heroes becoming villains and it's been happening in drama since at least the Greek Tragedies in 400BC.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    There probably isn't anyone more qualified to try and replace Heath Ledger as the Joker than J.P. Phenomenal actor. The problem is that Ledger was the BEST joker, ever. Even beating Jack Nicholson (I know, different kind, but still very well done). The problem with that statement is that when I found out Ledger was cast as the joker I almost threw up - figured Nolan was going insane or owed him or something. Whoops.

So yeah, looks promising interesting [at least]. I will definitely see it. But for me, Ledger will always be the quin-essential Joker. If Ledger hadn't died the third Nolan movie would have been about him.
    Welcome to the wondrous world of opinions, I vastly prefer Nicholson over Heath, but then again you can't say that because "don't speak ill of the dead" and thus you have to worship him.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

Like what would you like to see in a comic book movie? A total lack of nuance or grey morality? The concept of "good is good" and "bad is bad" just because that's just the way it is tends to get stale pretty quickly.

There's nothing wrong with tragic heroes becoming villains and it's been happening in drama since at least the Greek Tragedies in 400BC.
    What "grey morality" is there in going on killing sprees? In what world was the Joker ever a "tragic hero"? Rofl.

Edgelord darkness does not equal drama.

Fuck, even in The Killing Joke Alan Moore's point is that the Joker's actions are utterly pointless, his backstory does not justify them and in the end his plan utterly fails.

You're not supposed to agree with Rorschach or Tyler Durden or Patrick Bateman, dude. The Boondock Saints are psychopaths. Rofl.
    Last edited by Elba; 2019-04-03 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I recommend The Killing Joke. It shows plenty of the Joker's origin story.

He's a chaotic psychopath bent on doing whatever it takes to break Batman's mind and spirit. He's not morally gray at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    I recommend The Killing Joke. It shows plenty of the Joker's origin story.
    Yup, and in the end the message is "Cool motive, still murder".

10+ Year Old Account
    What "grey morality" is there in going on killing sprees? I what world was the Joker ever a "tragic hero"? Rofl.

Edgelord darkness does not equal drama.

Fuck, even in The Killing Joke Alan Moore's point is that the Joker's actions are utterly pointless, his backstory does not justify them and in the end his plan utterly fails.

You're not supposed to agree with Rorschach or Tyler Durden or Patrick Bateman, dude. The Boondock Saints are psychopaths. Rofl.
    Why are you assuming that I agree with any of those characters? I'm simply asking what you want to see in a new iteration of a story when it's already been told the same way numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I skipped aqua man as he’s the only hero I have absolutely no interest in.

Wonder Woman I found dreadful on every level and would count it as the worse comic movie I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen litteraly every single one baring aqua man and dead pool 2. Only positive I could give WW is I liked the design of that one evil doctor woman.

At this point I think only like a injustice movie could get me interested in dc again but something like that would need set up dc is either unwilling or unable to do.

So you think WW is worse than catwoman, suicide squad, bvs, justice league, green lantern, daredevil, supergirl and elektra?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    He's a chaotic psychopath bent on doing whatever it takes to break Batman's mind and spirit. He's not morally gray at all.
    And yet his experiences in life helped shape him into that psychopath, and considering this movie looks like an origin story...

I'm not saying The Joker is morally grey once he's acting as The Joker, I'm saying that the movie may portray him as a tragic character-turned-villain (at least that's sort of how it looks to me), and I don't think there's anything inherently wrong or offensive about that.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2019-04-03 at 08:15 PM.

Why are you assuming that I agree with any of those characters? I'm simply asking what you want to see in a new iteration of a story when it's already been told the same way numerous times.
    White dude losing his shit and going on a rampage isn't new, my man. Charles Bronson made an entire career out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    So you think WW is worse than catwoman, suicide squad, bvs, justice league, green lantern, daredevil, supergirl and elektra?
    To be fair it was certainly better but only in that it was around a B- movie instead of a D.

As far as the morally gray joker thing, that's pretty lulsy. There are INTERESTING versions of the Joker, but I don't recall a single morally gray version of the Joke that I've seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    White dude losing his shit and going on a rampage isn't new, my man. Charles Bronson made an entire career out of it.
    I honestly don't even know what you're talking about anymore. If anything you're reinforcing my point rather than countering it.

To be fair it was certainly better but only in that it was around a B- movie instead of a D.
    Yeah I don't think WW is a great movie, but 'worst comic book or super hero movie ever' makes me scratch my head. Even in the DCEU I'd have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of it being worse than suicide squad.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Welcome to the wondrous world of opinions, I vastly prefer Nicholson over Heath, but then again you can't say that because "don't speak ill of the dead" and thus you have to worship him.
    Lol, indeed. I think you can speak ill of the dead when it comes to art and performances. If you didn't like Ledger, that means you're insane is fine - to each their own. I enjoyed both, but Ledger went to the dark area of the Joker that I enjoy so much.

I have to say that the trailers looks very PROMISING. And Phoenix is a phenomenal actor. If anyone can eclipse or bolster what Ledger did for the franchise, it's him.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I skipped aqua man as he’s the only hero I have absolutely no interest in.

Wonder Woman I found dreadful on every level and would count it as the worse comic movie I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen litteraly every single one baring aqua man and dead pool 2. Only positive I could give WW is I liked the design of that one evil doctor woman.

At this point I think only like a injustice movie could get me interested in dc again but something like that would need set up dc is either unwilling or unable to do.
    Injustice movies would be retarded as fuck. You can't do deconstruction without having the real thing first.

You need to establish the real, bright versions of the characters in the general audience's consciousness first before going for the edgy shit.

There is a reason MoS, SQ, BvS and JL failed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    Yeah I don't think WW is a great movie, but 'worst comic book or super hero movie ever' makes me scratch my head. Even in the DCEU I'd have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of it being worse than suicide squad.
    For sure. I mean we can't forget the original Captain America movie if we're going to talk about the real worst comic book movie ever made.

And yet his experiences in life helped shape him into that psychopath, and considering this movie looks like an origin story...
    Getting pushed around and beaten up is a pretty boring reason to becoming one of the most iconic super villains in comic book history.