Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Phoenix did a phenomenal job in Joker... however, the movie was a mess. The first two acts crawled painfully slow and the third act was not strong enough to carry the film home. You can not go from a position of severe mental illness to an 'every man'... there is too much of a disconnect. If the first two acts were shortened to illustrate a "one bad day" slip into madness then the film would have been much more cohesive. The movie took great pains to illustrate Arthur's life long mental illness... which makes for a great political statement... though it's not what the Joker is about.

The tragedy of the Joker is in that anyone can slip into madness. By starting with mental illness it's a not so much a story of how or why just when... and that's not as compelling or entertaining to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Watched it and loved it.

And there are many more issues dealt through it than just "ZOMG incels gonna go out killing people" (btw there's nothing about incels in the movie, ffs. Arthur isn't an incel).

There's the revolt of the poor against the manipulative rich and the fact that a mob is something so irrational it can use the worst possible people as their idols.

There's the rich forgetting that the New Deal was invented after the great Depression because the risk of a plebe revolt was enormous and Roosevelt wasn't stupid.

There's the fact that society chooses to discard treatment for the mentally ill at its own risk.

And there's the biggest fact of all, that the story is told by Arthur's completely unreliable point of view, which makes any and all readings of the movie completely subjective.

It's freaking brilliant.

It is agood movie. Not great but good. BUT, it is not the Joker. Its a good movie about a guy slipping into madness and his terrible life. But He is not THE JOKER. Just a guy who goes crazy and decides to stay a clown.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Joker is an adaptation of clown world meme
    It's a mirror, not a movie. It's uncomfortable to stare at the mirror for 2 hours.
    It showed me i'm not going crazy, but i'm already crazy.
    Just have to make a choice what kind of crazy: batman (order) or joker (chaos)

I would end it right after "You wouldn't get it" line.
    still 10/10, i'm obsessed.

p.s. i have a theory that Arthur imagined clown masks... it was just a garbage strike, not his clown revolution.
    Last edited by iosdeveloper; 2019-10-15 at 04:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    One nitpick I had was (if we're to believe everything we're shown) is why would the authorities have given young Arthur back to his mother AFTER the incident in the report? I mean, I assume that's what happened as he is caring for her in present day.
    here where i exist they would never even took the child in first place, check how arabs treat their children, in the WORST country on earth society eyes kids are properties of their parents, u can do whatever the f8ck u want to do with them and no one would give a single f8ck about it
    is the normal in a non-egyptian country if u get beaten that badly u are taken?

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-10-15 at 10:54 PM.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    here where i exist they would never even took the child in first place, check how arabs treat their children, in the WORST country on earth society eyes kids are properties of their parents, u can do whatever the f8ck u want to do with them and no one would give a single f8ck about it
    is the normal in a non-egyptian country if u get beaten that badly u are taken?
    Well, in the UK if your Mother had purposely allow or inflicted a serious head trama to you as a child then yeah, you'd be taken away and put into care.

I assume the same with the States.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    Well, in the UK if your Mother had purposely allow or inflicted a serious head trama to you as a child then yeah, you'd be taken away and put into care.

I assume the same with the States.
    She was being beaten as well, that’s generally a mitigating factor you see in these situations. I don’t recall it ever stating she was an active participant in the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by pppbroom View Post
    No, it's not a breakdown of a man, it's a story about a person with mental issues who needs to be hospitalized and treated respectfully. It's not about depression, it's about serious mental issues and they shouldn't talk about them like in this movie.
    A Joker character has mental issues? Mind is blown.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2...x-joker-movie/

If this is true, it's hilarious. One of the worst jokers jealous of the guy playing the role after him being one of the best portrayals
    Last edited by Trassk; 2019-10-25 at 03:08 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Finally got around to watching it and it kinda seems like the worse possible joker in media.

Not a bad movie if you want to focus on mental illness but even then I’d say it misses the mark a bit. As a joker movie it just doesn’t hit any points and the throw away batman/Gotham bits were just awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Highest grossing R-rated movie worldwide.

Passions of the Christ is the highest-grossing domestically. It would be a Joker type joke for it to overthrow Passions.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

5+ Year Old Account
    Gonna go see it this weekend one last time, it might have already hit the 1 billion mark, dunno where it is at atm..

'Joker' breaks decade-old box office record previously held by 'Avatar'

Ben Arnold
    Yahoo Movies UK
    November 12, 2019

That's all added to the massive worldwide haul, which currently stands tantalisingly close to $1 billion, at $986 million (£768 million).

After last weekend's receipts, the movie has become the most profitable comic book movie of all time, thanks in the main to its CGI-light budget of $62 million (around £48 million), a fraction of that spent on movies like the Avengers series or those in the DC Extended Universe.

The figure is also noteworthy because of the movie's restricted R-rating, meaning that it has a considerably more limited audience than more family friendly comic book offerings - though technically, it's not based on a specific comic book.

If it crosses the billion dollar milestone this weekend, it will also be the cheapest movie ever to do so.

It will beat the record of Jurassic Park, which topped a million with a £49 million budget – though considering inflation since 1993, Joker's record would be considerably more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    It will beat the record of Jurassic Park, which topped a million with a £49 million budget – though considering inflation since 1993, Joker's record would be considerably more impressive.
    Inflation works both ways, so it isn't really considerably more impressive. It's pretty much the same.

Still a good (not great) movie, and very successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't even seen the movie yet and it has already entertained me immensely. Looking forward to watching it when it's stream-able.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Finally got around to watching it and it kinda seems like the worse possible joker in media.

Not a bad movie if you want to focus on mental illness but even then I’d say it misses the mark a bit. As a joker movie it just doesn’t hit any points and the throw away batman/Gotham bits were just awful.
    Wow, I'm sorry your preconceived notions ruined the movie for you

You don't get to make the line 'worst Joker in media' when the one before phoenix is hated by everyone. Or is this just you trying to be contrary in an effort to stand out?
    Last edited by Trassk; 2019-11-13 at 09:33 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Wow, I'm sorry your preconceived notions ruined the movie for you

You don't get to make the line 'worst Joker in media' when the one before phoenix is hated by everyone. Or is this just you trying to be contrary in an effort to stand out?
    The Phoenix joker is bad really bad but Id argue that he still comes across as the jokers brand of lunacity better then this which is closer to actually mentally ill people.

the best jokers in my option come cross to quote a scene from the recent year of the villain joker comic evil not just crazy.

Saw it yesterday and loved it!

A clown themed Taxi Driver? Fuck yeah!
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Phoenix joker is bad really bad but Id argue that he still comes across as the jokers brand of lunacity better then this which is closer to actually mentally ill people.

the best jokers in my option come cross to quote a scene from the recent year of the villain joker comic evil not just crazy.
    you got your opinion.

I happen to think there is no one case bases of what makes the joker, even the jokers saying of 'if I am to have a past, i'd rather is be multiple choice', gives speculation there is more then one joker. This opens the avenue for many interpretations of him.

That means many people can play the role, and it doesn't have to stick. I think mark hamill's joker is a perfect version of the character, but I'm not so uptight I can't see other portrayals of the character and think of them as good performances.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    you got your opinion.

I happen to think there is no one case bases of what makes the joker, even the jokers saying of 'if I am to have a past, i'd rather is be multiple choice', gives speculation there is more then one joker. This opens the avenue for many interpretations of him.

That means many people can play the role, and it doesn't have to stick. I think mark hamill's joker is a perfect version of the character, but I'm not so uptight I can't see other portrayals of the character and think of them as good performances.
    For there to be the best or even good performances there has to be a worse and for me this is it.

The acting in of it self is really good I just wouldn’t say it’s good for a character who is suppose to be the joker.

For there to be the best or even good performances there has to be a worse and for me this is it.
    The acting in of it self is really good I just wouldn’t say it’s good for a character who is suppose to be the joker.
    thank you for showing that there are people with a brain and not all sheeps.

this movie whatever it is, is clearly NOT THE joker....