Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hypothesis about Old Gods

What if they have their own plane of existence or even perhaps their own planet? Seeing as they can be found on Dreanor, Azeroth and possibly Argus it makes a bit of sense that they shift in and out of planes of existence or like the demons of the Legion did when they were 'killed'. If true how would we even get there to defeat them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I've always assumed they exist in a realm adjacent to or part of the Void itself, some form of penumbra or parallel reality in that general locale. As for getting to them, we've entered the Void itself (during Legion) as well as a number of other higher/lower realms. I don't think getting to them would be too insurmountable of a logistical issue.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

They come from somewhere in the void, and an unknown amount of them were thrown through the universe in hopes they would land on a planet that just so happened to be a World Soul, somehow Azeroth managed to get 4 or "5" land on it
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

Vol'zith the Whisperer claimed that he would journey to Ny'alotha upon his death. The Old Gods themselves are stated to neither live nor die, as they are outside the cycle. Blizzard wants to convince me that the Old Gods faced until now are dead, and yet they drop the striking evidence of Vol'zith that suggests that all minions of the Old Gods return to some plane upon their death. Unless Ny'alotha is some kind of afterlife for the Old Gods, then they will return. It wouldn't surprise me if at the end of this mess of an expansion, N'zoth resurrects C'thun, Yogg-Saron, and Y'shaarj and this leads into an actual Old God expansion free of the garbage that is faction war.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I've always assumed they exist in a realm adjacent to or part of the Void itself, some form of penumbra or parallel reality in that general locale. As for getting to them, we've entered the Void itself (during Legion) as well as a number of other higher/lower realms. I don't think getting to them would be too insurmountable of a logistical issue.
    Since Legion I got the vibes of the nine realms of the norse mythology because we have the twister nether(fel), the void dimension that you mentioned in the quest with Alleria and Locus Walker, the shadowlands, Azeroth with the great dark beyond(Midgard) and surely the realm of arcane/orden exist if we take account the blue dragonfly found Aluneth in other dimension and the emerald dream could be expanded as some pocket dimension inside of the realm plane of Life just like Helheim with the shadowlands, hehe maybe that was the hint we should had catched with Odyn and Helya introduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

10+ Year Old Account
    But do you think our minds could handle it? Seems like only a certain few can do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    But do you think our minds could handle it? Seems like only a certain few can do that.
    We seem to handle it temporarily, at least - although a longer term stay might have some deleterious effects on a regular person's sanity.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

We went to the void realm? Thought we went into the twisting nether

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Elves went to the Void realm. The rest of us did not which makes me think only elves have the mental fortitude to handle the void realm. If you notice in the twilight cult there are people of every race in it except any variety of elf.

Elves went to the Void realm. The rest of us did not which makes me think only elves have the mental fortitude to handle the void realm. If you notice in the twilight cult there are people of every race in it except any variety of elf.
    There are some blood elves in the therazane plane being cultist and the assassin boss in the dungeon of end times is a rogue blood elf.
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    You go into the Void with Alleria in Mac'Aree during the quest-chain that opens up concerning Arkhaan, eventually meeting Locus-Walker and so forth. Arkhaan crosses over into the Void to heed the call of "Isolon," actually Viceroy Nezhar of the Shadowguard Ethereals, and you and Alleria follow him. After a Void-empowered Arkhaan is defeated you are withdrawn from the Void by Locus-Walker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    There are some blood elves in the therazane plane being cultist and the assassin boss in the dungeon of end times is a rogue blood elf.
    I had forgotten about that.

I wonder if that void realm is the same Twilight Realm that you enter in Cata.

If so, that may well be what's on the other side of that darkness Old Gods pop their head out of to fight us.

I'm still of the mind that the Shadowlands are the original mindscape of Azeroth, before the Titans realised she'll become a Titan of Decay, and pumped her full of Emerald Dreamy prozac. That's why there's so many Old Gods on her since they seem to feed off (chaos, life) entropy (the inverse of decay).

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I wonder if that void realm is the same Twilight Realm that you enter in Cata.

If so, that may well be what's on the other side of that darkness Old Gods pop their head out of to fight us.
    Twilight realm could be some pocket dimension inside of the void, just like the many planes that are inside of the shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    I'm still of the mind that the Shadowlands are the original mindscape of Azeroth, before the Titans realised she'll become a Titan of Decay, and pumped her full of Emerald Dreamy prozac. That's why there's so many Old Gods on her since they seem to feed off (chaos, life) entropy (the inverse of decay).
    That kind of goes against the established lore though. With the Old Gods flung out into the universe at random, and the Shadowlands coming into existence with the first mortal death on her surface.

Titans are said to develop only when they have mortal life on their surface. I suppose their minds learn concepts through the lives of these mortals. In this case, learning about the concepts of dreaming and death, through these much smaller aspects of themselves that inhabit their surface. Or maybe it goes both ways, and the Emerald Dream as a concept was tied to the essence of dreams to give mortal minds a place to imagine and dream during the void of night, and the Shadowlands formed for Azeroth to catch people's souls and shape an afterlife, to shield them from oblivion in death. Regardless of where the truth lies, I kind of like to think there's some form of symbiosis going on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    That pretty much goes against established lore.

The shadowlands are warcrafts realm of the dead, its not in any way tied to azeroth.
    It existed ever since life formed in the universe, most probably long before azeroth, or even the titans ever formed.
    While the emerald dream was molded by freya from azeroths own dreams, she didn't create it to emeraldinize azeroth or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

What if they have their own plane of existence
    *ahem*
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Void

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    That pretty much goes against established lore.

The shadowlands are warcrafts realm of the dead, its not in any way tied to azeroth.
    It existed ever since life formed in the universe, most probably long before azeroth, or even the titans ever formed.
    While the emerald dream was molded by freya from azeroths own dreams, she didn't create it to emeraldinize azeroth or whatever.
    Always wonder how the shadowlands works with others afterlife, I mean we have seen the light and void has 1 and bwonsamdi has his own pocket dimension that works as afterlife for the souls he collects under some boss, what is the true role of that plane if anyone can have their own afterlife dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Always wonder how the shadowlands works with others afterlife, I mean we have seen the light and void has 1 and bwonsamdi has his own pocket dimension that works as afterlife for the souls he collects under some boss, what is the true role of that plane if anyone can have their own afterlife dimension.
    I think it is like making a company. Theoretically everyone can do that, but they need budget and much paperwork first. Bwonsamdi is said to have some boss, after all. Maybe Shadowlands is like the Internet, where there are multiple websites, but they all are part of one thing?
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    I think it is like making a company. Theoretically everyone can do that, but they need budget and much paperwork first. Bwonsamdi is said to have some boss, after all. Maybe Shadowlands is like the Internet, where there are multiple websites, but they all are part of one thing?
    Oh I like your theory and certantly fits with the whole bargain thing since even the shadow that Odyn summoned wanted to make a deal instead of going full "kill all"