RIFT Battle Pass... Impressively disgusting

So Gamigo has finally put out details on the upcoming "Battle Pass" for RIFT. Not too long ago they asked people what they thought of it despite not giving any information out on it...so that was a thing.

However, now we do have information...and wow. I am not even sure where to rank this on the WTF things an mmorpg has done. They are essentially charging for daily quests.

The Battle Pass costs $10 an includes:

Progress through 30 levels (Season 1) by completing Daily and Weekly Quests
    5 Daily Quests (+2 for Patrons) per Day
    Quests chosen at random
    3 Weekly Quests per Week
    Quests chosen at random
    30 Levels of rewards
    Rewards split up between Free (no purchase required), Premium (purchased the pack) & Patron Premium (purchased the pack and have active Patron status).
    Free rewards include a new artifact set which unlock their own unique rewards, individual reward charges, rune unsocketers, and more premium service items.
    Premium rewards include numerous fiery cosmetics, as well as the new Great Balls of Fire mount, bonus credits and more!
    Patrons who unlock premium will also gain bonus rewards including Loyalty, premium lock boxes and more!

The confusing part is they say "can earn rewards for free by being a patron or buying the battle pass"
    that isn't free.
    This seems like a disgusting business practice.

https://www.mmorpg.com/rift/news/rif...ass-1000052050
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

It's kinda shitty, but I don't see anything "disgusting" necessarily. Free players get to participate and get free shit, paying players get more cosmetic, paying subs get even more.

It's not content. It's not new. But at least it's something to do for some rewards. Better than anything Trion did the game in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's kinda shitty, but I don't see anything "disgusting" necessarily. Free players get to participate and get free shit, paying players get more cosmetic, paying subs get even more.

It's not content. It's not new. But at least it's something to do for some rewards. Better than anything Trion did the game in years.
    It's pretty crappy that there are certain things that cannot be completed without buying the Primalist.

And I'm pretty sure Gamigo said they wanted to stop with aggressive monetisation methods. Which they seriously need to get to work on.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-04-04 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It's pretty crappy that there are certain things that cannot be completed without buying the Primalist.
    That's fair, but I still don't have huge issues with it. Free players can still participate and get free shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And I'm pretty sure Gamigo said they wanted to stop with aggressive monetisation methods. Which they seriously need to get to work on.
    This isn't even aggressive though. This is a totally optional $10 pack which ain't bad at all. Hell, if I was still playing and the game were in a reasonable state I'd probably shell out for it.

I know hating on Rift is the cool thing to do at the moment, but this post is a little excessive. None of that can be considered "Disgusting". Whilst I don't agree with the blatant pay-gates and money grabbing that is happening with Rift/Gamigo at the moment, at least for $10 you are getting extra optional content with some extra incentives for those still paying the subscription. And sorry to be that guy, but lets be real $10 is not a lot of money.

If I were still playing Rift, I would say $10 is a good deal for those perks, it's a one-off payment so even free players benefit for a small feel. This seems like a good way for Gamigo to make some money whilst benefiting their (very loyal) player base. Surely more money to invest in resurrecting this title is a good thing? Let's not get carried away.

Shoulda gone with "ABSOLUTELY HARAM". Better dramatization.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's fair, but I still don't have huge issues with it. Free players can still participate and get free shit.

This isn't even aggressive though. This is a totally optional $10 pack which ain't bad at all. Hell, if I was still playing and the game were in a reasonable state I'd probably shell out for it.
    I'm not saying the Battle Pass is. I'm saying things like requiring a paid soul to complete a part of it basically undermines what Gamigo said a little.

$10 for set of dailies in old content? Did they forget to post it on Monday?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

I used to love RIFT, it holds a special place in my heart, and my feelings on this are resonate with Edge. If the game were in a good place and I still played, I probably would buy it and not have any issue with it.

I just wish I still played and it was in a good place, and it makes me sad that is not the case. I miss RIFT a great deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lidenbok View Post
    I would say $10 is a good deal for those perks, it's a one-off payment so even free players benefit for a small feel.
    It's like some people just feel a need to be perpetually 'outraged' at the slightest thing, i already posted what the Battle Pass is, what's involved and what people will get for their hard earned bucks, or not if they decide to pay nothing in this Thread:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...TS-for-Testing

I'm going to borrow Rift player Ambrodel's reward breakdown, comes in nice, easy to read colours so you can see exactly what you're getting Green is the €/$10 Battle Pass, Red is Battle Pass+ Patron and Blue is free.

Add up what you get for your 10 bucks and you'll soon see it's more than that, 1500 credits, cosmetic firewings, cosmetic helmet,new fire mount, dungeon and warfront charges, boxes of IRCs, the list goes on.....

Yeah maybe op was being extra by calling it disgusting but it is impressively lame. Imo, Gamigo took over a company that was in bad shape and hasn't managed to turn it around in any substantial way while having it for nearly six months. Players, in a progressive mmo are looking for content. What they offer here could've simply been thrown in the cash shop without the extra announcements. Quite honestly, its not impressive nor fun. Maybe it will be for existing players maintaining their in-game hustles. But for some, this is just fluff for doing dailies. Whoopee. The announcement gave an impression that something interesting was afoot and its just more cash grabbing. But, imo, what puts the lame stamp on it, is the listless ability used to even organize this. Its like borrowed ideas from a non-progressing mmo and applied to a progressing mmo. Well it should be progressing. I wouldn't want to say the person who copy/pasted this needs to go back to day and nighting fortnite, but maybe a dev they do not make. For me, it looks like more desperation and no substance. Just my thoughts, Rift still needs a buyer with real force behind them. Not more play play companies demonstrating a lack of resource.
    Last edited by pfftuhhuh; 2019-04-06 at 05:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pfftuhhuh View Post
    Yeah maybe op was being extra by calling it disgusting but it is impressively lame. Imo, Gamigo took over a company that was in bad shape and hasn't managed to turn it around in any substantial way while having it for nearly six months.
    Well they bought the company and fired everyone... what can one expect to happen. So they practically bought the IP without having the tools and know-how ready to do anything with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.