Poll: Monthly Subscription vs Free to Play?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Monthly Subscription vs Free to Play?

Monthly Subscription vs Free to Play which do you prefer when it comes to online or even console gaming?

Personally I hate free to play I’d rather monthly.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Free to play with the micro transactions being cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    Free to play with the micro transactions being cosmetics.
    This is my preferred method. Riot does it well for LoL. I just don't want any game where you buy power or its clear that you have an advantage by spending.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Free to play with vanity cosmetic shop.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    This is my preferred method. Riot does it well for LoL. I just don't want any game where you buy power or its clear that you have an advantage by spending.
    Yup, if I can buy power, I'm not interested in the game. I love cosmetics though, id spend 50-100 bucks on cosmetic rewards in a game i enjoy in a heart beat rofl.

Monthly sub so I can actually get different skins and appearances without having to pay for them in a random box.

(shit technically speaking if you baller like that, you can just play for free with tokens)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monthly Subscription is pretty much putting free to play stuff into (store items).

There is also a buy to play option (no sub needed) where you buy a game once and can play it forever --- but it generaly comes with store.

Free to play is superiour if done right.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After playing WoW for several years and now playing ESO, free to play once you buy the game. No more sub for me.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, I have played enough games to see what murder F2P commits (AA and SWTOR), so I'd rather be subscribing - or could bend the choice to, B2P like GW2 (but GW2 is in a sorry state too now).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

PoE has the balance perfect IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    None, I refuse to pay into either system. I buy the game I own the game and I therefore play the game. As a PC user I expect online play to be free. If I have to pay a monthly fee to play the game then stop charging me money to buy the game because I don't own it then. Free to play games are inherently grindy and therefore terrible games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    None, I refuse to pay into either system. I buy the game I own the game and I therefore play the game. As a PC user I expect online play to be free. If I have to pay a monthly fee to play the game then stop charging me money to buy the game because I don't own it then. Free to play games are inherently grindy and therefore terrible games.
    except you DON'T own the servers the game is hosted on.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Monthly if I had money, but f2p now.

F2P with cosmetic microtransactions seems nice on paper, but in my experience, they all lack any real substance. It always just seems like they ask themselves how they could recycle the assets they already have into something that's not really new.

Toxicity and cheaters in F2P games is rampant... least the fact you have to pay in a P2P curbs it considerably.

Fuck F2P.

I'll take subscription any day, even with microtransactions (as long as they're cosmetic).

I would say Subscription if we are talking about a really good game/expansion such as MOP or Legion or WOTLK where you can find fun in it every day for a month.

But games like Dota, Counterstrike, team fortress and similar where you play for a few hours and then are done for the week i definitely prefer F2play.

BFAzeroth unfortunately falls into the category of games that i would not play even if i was paid to do it xD

Monthly subs without any micro transaction. Micro transaction games feel cheap and its annoying to see commercials for items and packs.
    A god example is Star Wars The Old Republic. The game looked so nice and clean before free to play mode and now looks like s..t and feels cheap.

I used to say monthly sub because it used to protect you from petty shit like microtransactions and nickel-and-diming the playerbase as a whole.

Now it's become a standard in every game so fuck it, free to play or buy to play are best. We're going to get microtransactions regardless.

i want to say sub if they do regular and good updates.

but it seems in reality the free to play games are more motivated to do regular updates.