10+ Year Old Account

Bounty System Broken?

Today I logged in to do the invasion in Stormsong Valley, and after killing two alliance at one of the quests, I got a bounty:

Notice anything missing? I'm not an assassin, lol. I already have the alliance slayer title, but I've never run into this issue before. Anybody else running into this?

Sometimes it happens.
    I follow a World PvP youtuber and he sometimes gets the bounty too early...before even getting assassin buff.

I've had at least two instances where I've got a bounty immediately after having died while being camped at the turtles beach head quest in Drustvar. In both cases I had been using a hunter to throw people off the cliff to their death but I had not been an assassin even before I had been killed and respawned as the bounty.

Once I got bounty after dying with Horde Assassin, a few seconds after ressing.

Other times I've killed allies for hours without dying and not been able to even get the Horde Assassin buff...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwirt View Post
    Today I logged in to do the invasion in Stormsong Valley, and after killing two alliance at one of the quests, I got a bounty:

Notice anything missing? I'm not an assassin, lol. I already have the alliance slayer title, but I've never run into this issue before. Anybody else running into this?
    It probably has something to do with the number of players that are killing people in a zone or something.

When trying to get a bounty on me, killed over 50 people while in a raid and while running with a raid but not in the party and the bounty never appeared. Then I gave up, went to a different zone to do a WQ, killed 1 alliance and 2 minutes later of running got flagged for bounty.

It's a weird system probably to make it more unpredictable.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

I think it's somewhat randomized, and also somewhat based on things like group size. I had a similar thing happen to me yesterday. I was skirmishing in the assualt zone (without being grouped) and got several kills before dying. Then after ressing, I got the bounty debuff after only two kills, so there was no assassin buff.

Other times I've been in a raid group farming for quite some time without getting the bounty debuff. So anecdotally, it seems like you're more likely to earn the bounty debuff if you're in a smaller group or "solo". I'm wondering if the "count" towards getting the bounty is shared among everyone who gets the hks. But it also feels like there's some randomization in there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwirt View Post

So how it works is if horde is dominating an area, they will get bounties

lets say 20 horde 20 alliance
    horde gets 9 kills each, that is 180 kills. no one is assasin yet, but they have gotten ALOT of kills, so it deems worthy of a bounty (dont know the ratio that is something they havnt told us) so it simply chooses a player at random.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Once I got bounty after dying with Horde Assassin, a few seconds after ressing.

Other times I've killed allies for hours without dying and not been able to even get the Horde Assassin buff...
    it randomly chooses from the list of people who are deemed "worthy" so you could go hours without assassin because tons of people are also bounties

and why you dont usually see 1 horde and 1 alliance bounty in a zone, you usually see alot of bounties on 1 faction side, because that faction is getting alot of kills.

bounties are not "you have gotten X kills heres a bounty"

its "This faction is beating out the other faction, lets make some of theior players bounties so the other faction will group up to take them out."

bounty is a "punishment" not a "reward"

i have yet to see a screnshot of a zone with both an alliance, and a horde bounty. bounties are made to inspire people to group up and stomp the side that is dominating.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-06-04 at 12:38 AM.

What FelPlague said is probably how the system works internally, and why it might seem so random.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    it randomly chooses from the list of people who are deemed "worthy" so you could go hours without assassin because tons of people are also assassins

and why you dont usually see 1 horde and 1 alliance bounty in a zone, you usually see alot of bounties on 1 faction side, because that faction is getting alot of kills.

bounties are not "you have gotten X kills heres a bounty"

its "This faction is beating out the other faction, lets make some of theior players bounties so the other faction will group up to take them out."

bounty is a "punishment" not a "reward"
    Assassin is not supposed to be random, Bounty is.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

the system was always iffy even back in the beta
    whatever "randomization" is there is probably just a bug that they never bothered fixing

There's some degree of confusion that arises from a widespread conflation of the terms "assassin" and "bounty".

Quote Originally Posted by 33kamous3 View Post
    There's some degree of confusion that arises from a widespread conflation of the terms "assassin" and "bounty".
    that's because the two concepts are also conflated (unreliably) by the game mechanics

May be that was a simple temporary bug?

My question is: what is the best loot that people have received from a bounty kill?

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Assassin is not supposed to be random, Bounty is.
    oh just noticed this, sorry i confused the two. i simply wrote assassin when i meant bounty.