Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're deliberately turning yourself into a caricature, here, aren't you?

    Because there's no way you're seriously whining about "Nazi" being over-used to "silence" people, and then immediately try and use "communist" in exactly that way, towards me.

    Really, the only message we can take away is that you don't have any issue with the ethics of abusively mislabelling people. You just don't like it when it happens to you. And that's not an argument. It's a whine.
    Sounds like you are whining about it endus, not me. i call you a communist because of your beliefs and actions towards others, and i give you your own advice you constantly give those you choose to lable as naizs. If you don't want to be a called a communist Endus, stop acting like one. It's such good advice i dont get why you are upset about it. I mean honestly how hard is it to stop being what your enemies call you.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No one on the planet is a "faggot". That's a word used exclusively to insult people.
    That's like saying no one is actually a fuckhead. Since it's only an insult. Whereas people can be fuckheads. Depending on what the persons definition of what a "Faggot" is to them, they may very well describe someone as a "Faggot" and mean it. Just because it's primarily an insult, doesn't mean it isn't a descriptive word.

  3. #63
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    4,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Being offended gives a person nothing, it's pointless. Offending others is a freedom we all have. Of course, for those who choose to offend others, they shouldn't be offended when others take it upon themselves to call them out.
    Since when is being offended even supposed to be about some sort of personal gain? I mean, sure, there are some people who can turn into something they would benefit from, but it's not inherently supposed to "give you something". This does not make it pointless - you could pretty much say that 99% of your life is pointless if you use some very specific criteria.

    Besides, things are rarely that easy. Accepting all sort of slurs being flung at you might very well cause people to believe that there is some grain of truth in it. You don't mind being considered Generally Unaccepted Term X or Y? Surely then you consider these to be completely fine and accept whatever reputation comes from this. Thus being offended and protesting that does give you a form of "profit", if not exactly a material one.

  4. #64
    Anung un Rama Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    58,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Sounds like you are whining about it endus, not me. i call you a communist because of your beliefs and actions towards others
    No, you don't. You do it because you're trying to be insulting, and you're perfectly willing to lie about me in pursuit of that goal. You're flaming, and trying to provoke an angry response, and that's literally it.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, you don't. You do it because you're trying to be insulting, and you're perfectly willing to lie about me in pursuit of that goal. You're flaming, and trying to provoke an angry response, and that's literally it.
    Not at all. I'm speaking my mind, and standing up to a person who abuses power over others. You can cut away words but i know you read them. they are your own words after all and yet you don't even have the gall to admit your failed logic.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

  6. #66
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    oh man i got a post you deleted because you were quick to judge someone else for your own mistake?..lol.
    That made me laugh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I honestly don't even know how that happened; you weren't quoting him yourself, so there's no way I trimmed it wrong. Best guess is some kind of forum glitch?

    My response was to the words I quoted; I don't double-check to make sure the system's tagged it correctly.
    Seems kinda specific for a forum glitch. Guess the programming must like me, as it picked me over everyone else. I Am The Chosen One. (cue holy light) /endscene
    Seems also like the quote was trimmed, too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, you don't. You do it because you're trying to be insulting, and you're perfectly willing to lie about me in pursuit of that goal. You're flaming, and trying to provoke an angry response, and that's literally it.
    They disproved your earlier point. (below)

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It really isn't.

    No one on the planet is a "faggot". That's a word used exclusively to insult people.

    There are "Nazis". People who think Hitler had the right idea, wear Swastika armbands/tattoos, using other iconography, etc. If the term is accurately applied, it is not a slur. It's accurate and descriptive, in a way "faggot" cannot ever be, inherently. When applied accurately, the label does not act as a slur, even by the definition you cited; any shame or damage to reputation occurs because the subject is actually a Nazi, not because of the labelling.
    For reference.
    How are they flaming if it's not an insult toward you? Are you actually a communist?
    Last edited by Ewwe; 2019-04-07 at 05:28 PM.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Faggot" is a slur word. So it's inherently insulting and derogatory. It isn't the kind of thing you can be "factually accurate" about. Same way you can't be "factually accurate" about calling someone a motherfucker; that his wife has had a kid or three doesn't change the intended insult. The one narrow exception is if you're friends with your target, and being deliberately abusive is one of your "things", so greeting them with "heya, cockwad!" is totally normal. Even there, the amusement is in the contrast between the objectively-rude language and your warm feelings for each other.

    "Nazi", on the other hand, is not a slur word, and has some pretty specific meanings.
    Nothing is inherently insulting or derogatory. Terms can be reclaimed, used jokingly, et cetera. Besides, if I'm a homosexual and someone calls me a faggot, he's factually correct about it. Whether he is being insulting or derogatory in doing so, that's determined by context and intent. One can call someone gay and be insulting for the same reason. Some gays detests to be called gay and prefer the older "homosexual" which many avoid because of the historical implications of back when it was used in a medical field in which homosexuality was still considered a disease. Some disagree because "gay" has become politically charged, or because they're depressed to that other meaning of the word is painfully ironic to them, or even because of merely etymological reasons. I for one find "heterosexual" and "homosexual" much more descriptive than "straight" (as opposed to what, curved? The implied opposition to something that constitute an "Other" is irritating enough) and "gay". There's also the matter of words that are the same across languages but carry a very different connotation depending on the language - again, "gay" is a good example of this.
    And if someone's not actually a Nazi, calling him a Nazi is pretty derogatory - so much so there are laws that punish defamation and libel for a reason.
    So sorry, but you're wrong on all accounts. There's nothing inherent about words. It's within the very nature of words to have no inherent meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    There's nothing inherent about words. It's within the very nature of words to have no inherent meaning.
    That explains why you alt-righters love to use words wrongly and don't seem to have read a real book in your lifetime. It's sure convenient to not have to pick up languages like everyone when you can just invent words and meanings on the fly.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

    Prediction for the future

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    That explains why you alt-righters love to use words wrongly and don't seem to have read a real book in your lifetime. It's sure convenient to not have to pick up languages like everyone when you can just invent words and meanings on the fly.
    I am able to use words and have them fit different contexts. People who "read real books" tend to be able to do that, and you're here denying it, which is hilariously ironic - but not more hilarious than the relentlessness with which you stalk and slander me by calling me an alt-righter every time you see me posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

  10. #70
    Over 9000! Grimbold21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Azores, Portugal
    Posts
    9,282
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    That explains why you alt-righters love to use words wrongly and don't seem to have read a real book in your lifetime. It's sure convenient to not have to pick up languages like everyone when you can just invent words and meanings on the fly.
    Claims a group uses words wrongly and haven't read a 'real' book. Throws around a label in a meaningless way.

  11. #71
    I love offending people.

    It's the best on the internet saying something to spark a reaction then saying nothing or revisiting. You know some imbecile is losing their shit over it. If you take what 1 person of 7 billion to heart, you're big dumb face.

  12. #72
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    4,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrie View Post
    I love offending people.

    It's the best on the internet saying something to spark a reaction then saying nothing or revisiting. You know some imbecile is losing their shit over it. If you take what 1 person of 7 billion to heart, you're big dumb face.
    If that's what gets you going, sure, but it certainly speaks more about you than the person that's supposedly "losing their shit". You're also one of those who always uses the "oh, I was just pretending to be an idiot" excuse, right?

  13. #73
    Herald of the Titans Synros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadowlands
    Posts
    2,849
    "Ethics" are subjective. The problem today is that we live in a culture that treats being offended like a "status symbol", where people go out of their way to look for things to be offended over. Literally saying "No Offense", is going to triggering at least someone out. People shouldn't have to walk on eggshells 24/7, and self-censor everything they say or think.

    Just because someone chooses to be offended, doesn't mean they're right.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Synros View Post
    "Ethics" are subjective. The problem today is that we live in a culture that treats being offended like a "status symbol", where people go out of their way to look for things to be offended over. Literally saying "No Offense", is going to triggering at least someone out. People shouldn't have to walk on eggshells 24/7, and self-censor everything they say or think.

    Just because someone chooses to be offended, doesn't mean they're right.
    Using being offended as a badge of honor is its own punishment. Life is so much less stressful and so much more pleasant when you rarely, if ever take offense.

  15. #75
    Depends on how you do it and the environment for doing so.

    I think people as a whole should be less worried about offending a small subset of others, and in turn the masses should stop supporting outrage over offending a small subset. There's wanting to be accepting and wanting to stifle things like comedy and humor that naturally often play on things like current events and tease the line of the acceptable for the sake of making people laugh.

    That being said I feel like a lot of people think way too far in the opposite direction and think any shitty crap said online or in public should be accepted by everyone because it's "just my opinion". Yes, you can have opinions, but if the majority thinks that opinion is shitty then it's on you for not understanding the audience you're posting that public message to.

  16. #76
    Herald of the Titans Synros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadowlands
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Using being offended as a badge of honor is its own punishment. Life is so much less stressful and so much more pleasant when you rarely, if ever take offense.
    Exactly. I see people all the time on Twitter bitching and moaning about how stressed and depressed they are, when all they do is complain about ridiculous shit like how air conditioners are "sexist", and how being able to walk up stairs is "Ableist" and pretty much makes you Hitler 2.0... These people are their own worst enemies.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    That explains why you alt-righters love to use words wrongly and don't seem to have read a real book in your lifetime. It's sure convenient to not have to pick up languages like everyone when you can just invent words and meanings on the fly.
    Language is dynamic and changes based on context quite often. That you see this as alt-right is just a product of being warped by political bias.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Sounds like you are whining about it endus, not me. i call you a communist because of your beliefs and actions towards others, and i give you your own advice you constantly give those you choose to lable as naizs. If you don't want to be a called a communist Endus, stop acting like one. It's such good advice i dont get why you are upset about it. I mean honestly how hard is it to stop being what your enemies call you.
    Just call him Stalin-adjacent. He engages in apologetics for ideologies which are the foundation for mass murder. Because that's how political discussions work these days, for some reason.

  18. #78
    The Insane Boomzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    16,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It really isn't.

    No one on the planet is a "faggot". That's a word used exclusively to insult people.

    There are "Nazis". People who think Hitler had the right idea, wear Swastika armbands/tattoos, using other iconography, etc.
    According to every dictionary on earth, Nazi's aren't "People who think Hitler had the right idea" they WERE members of the national socialist German worker's party.

    So this is a horribly stupid and factually incorrect hill to die on, Endus. Calling someone a Nazi is just as hyperbolic as calling someone a faggot, and just as inaccurate, because Nazi Germany doesn't exist anymore.
    Last edited by Boomzy; 2019-04-08 at 01:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    You had your chance to make something special of this, Internet, and you fucked it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    We are in this thread with Elba, therefore we are all Elba.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Depends.

    Are you intentionally trying to offend people?
    Are you offering hard, yet helpful advice that may offend?
    Are you saying normal things and the other person is triggered/offended by figuratively everything?
    Are you totally oblivious that what you're saying may be found offensive?
    Are you specifically not saying some things that should be said, but are too afraid to speak because you may offend?

    Too many variables.
    Looking at several variables is generally a good way to look at it. Factual discussions, about sensitive topics like race/gender and psychological, biological traits are probably best kept in the academic institutions since they don't seem to, on average, produce an overall good situation on any level. Then again giving this ground to racist demagogues/propagandists is not a good solution either and the silence on these potentially offensive topics serves to empower them. It may be best to neutralize these topics somehow, but I'm not sure how you'd do that.

  20. #80

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •