Thread: Need Opinions

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Need Opinions

    Hey guys, I plan on going semi-hardcore for classic. Now, I did play Vanilla, but I was the idiot noob player that barely scratched raids.
    I am bouncing between maining Hunter or Priest.
    Hunter, because I have played a hunter since I started playing WoW. I try a different class each expansion but always go back to Hunter. Once upon a time, I even was posting top 10 parses on Heroic bosses (before Mythic was a thing). However, I know how difficult it will be to get into raids/dungeons consistently and timely as a DPS. In vanilla, I enjoyed Priest for quite a while, and really enjoyed healing at this time. Going a Priest would get me into groups quickly and probably would increase my chances to find a good guild.

    I want others opinions between maining a Hunter DPS or a Priest Heals. Do you think there will be the usual surge of DPS and not enough tanks/heals, and I might end up sitting waiting for a group for an hour or longer?

    Let me know. I am kinda stuck right now.

  2. #2
    Play what you want! Hunters are the best pullers in groups (though you may find it hard as BM) and raids take 3-4 .. Priest obviously as healers but even shadow has a place IF you are willing to put in the hours and farm all the mats needed.

    It's 40 man .. Every raid will have room for some hybrids ..

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Storfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Nostalrius
    Posts
    642
    Go dwarf priest (for fearward) and you will always always always have a spot in any given raid.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

  4. #4
    Don't clip your auto shot as a Hunter and you'll be wanted in every aspect of the game.

    PS: Busty Dwarf Priests are fun as hell too. No one, and I mean absolutely no one likes being killed by a busty Dwarf ^_-
    RIP BFA! 8/27.

  5. #5
    A hunter will provide a better QoL during the levelling & farming process, a priest (esp. dwarf with racial) will on average prove to be a more valuable asset in PvE endgame and should be easier to group & raid with. Personally the main thing that would put me off playing a hunter in PvE is the poor scaling in later tiers.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneer View Post
    A hunter will provide a better QoL during the levelling & farming process, a priest (esp. dwarf with racial) will on average prove to be a more valuable asset in PvE endgame and should be easier to group & raid with. Personally the main thing that would put me off playing a hunter in PvE is the poor scaling in later tiers.
    Do you think the scaling is bad enough that I would have issues with a semi-hardcore group? I know Naxx, they only had really 1 hunter maybe 2 at max per raid.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by xazrael View Post
    Do you think the scaling is bad enough that I would have issues with a semi-hardcore group? I know Naxx, they only had really 1 hunter maybe 2 at max per raid.
    Assuming you were to join a raiding guild and progress through to Naxx with them I don't see it being too big an issue, the only time a guild will be min-maxing their setups will be for speed runs.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneer View Post
    Assuming you were to join a raiding guild and progress through to Naxx with them I don't see it being too big an issue, the only time a guild will be min-maxing their setups will be for speed runs.
    Alright. I kinda figured.
    Leaning towards trying Hunter, but we'll see.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Go dwarf priest (for fearward) and you will always always always have a spot in any given raid.
    Not everyone is a fan of the dwarf aesthetics though. If you really need Fear Ward to get into a raid as a priest, you wouldn't be a good priest. Get into raid based on your actual healing skills, not some buff some race comes with. Tanks should learn to stance dance

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by xazrael View Post
    Alright. I kinda figured.
    Leaning towards trying Hunter, but we'll see.
    The main thing i'd be looking forward to with a hunter at level cap is the aimed shot crits off Ashjre'thul, Crossbow of Smiting, joint slowest ranged weapon ingame along with an alliance quest green.

    Needless to say it'll be rough coming back from being on recieving end of that if you get the opener!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by xazrael View Post
    Hey guys, I plan on going semi-hardcore for classic. Now, I did play Vanilla, but I was the idiot noob player that barely scratched raids.
    I am bouncing between maining Hunter or Priest.
    Hunter, because I have played a hunter since I started playing WoW. I try a different class each expansion but always go back to Hunter. Once upon a time, I even was posting top 10 parses on Heroic bosses (before Mythic was a thing). However, I know how difficult it will be to get into raids/dungeons consistently and timely as a DPS. In vanilla, I enjoyed Priest for quite a while, and really enjoyed healing at this time. Going a Priest would get me into groups quickly and probably would increase my chances to find a good guild.

    I want others opinions between maining a Hunter DPS or a Priest Heals. Do you think there will be the usual surge of DPS and not enough tanks/heals, and I might end up sitting waiting for a group for an hour or longer?

    Let me know. I am kinda stuck right now.
    First of all, you are not bad simply because you didn't raid. Perhaps you excelled in 5-mans and PvP or what-have-you. Raiding was pretty exclusive in vanilla. Once guilds were in AQ or later, it's likely they weren't going to recruit people with full blues anymore. So in mid to late vanilla. Unless you were already raiding, you probably weren't raiding, because there was quite an entry requirement and guilds looked for people with experience and epic gear. Now, there were some MC guilds that formed around this time to try and combat this, but they were few.

    As for Hunter vs. Priest, I know some people have disdain against hunter because hunter likes to roll on their gear or whatever. Priest is probably the more valuable class in the end, because they can heal, and you could go shadow and DPS too. Priests were the king of healers in vanilla, so it's ultra valuable as a class. Hunters were good for pulling trash, so they brought some utility there, but mostly were a pure DPS. They did good damage though. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but you'll probably have an easier time finding groups as a healer or tank, as usual.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Not everyone is a fan of the dwarf aesthetics though. If you really need Fear Ward to get into a raid as a priest, you wouldn't be a good priest. Get into raid based on your actual healing skills, not some buff some race comes with. Tanks should learn to stance dance
    Honestly, I always had the thinking that the human SPI buff was more beneficial to a GOOD healer than Fear Ward. But maybe that is just me.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by xazrael View Post
    Honestly, I always had the thinking that the human SPI buff was more beneficial to a GOOD healer than Fear Ward. But maybe that is just me.
    Yeah, that Spirit buff is huge. Once you get a dwarf priest into the raid, the value of adding a second one becomes much less. And a third one is useless. Might as well have more healers with that Spi buff then, because that will both increase your mana regen, as well as increase your +healing.

  14. #14
    Hunters are the easiest class to level which is something you'll want to take into account, priests arent too bad but they are somewhere in the middle of the pack, that being said as a priest you'll have a very easy time getting into 5 mans along the way. As far as world pvp goes shadow priests are extremely strong but IMO things will still be easier as a hunter. It's really up in the air there though.

    That being said you gotta factor in life at 60, which will be rough as a hunter. You'll have a hard time getting the drops you want while competing with rogues and warriors on some things (and in many cases the warriors may reserve those items). You'd definitely want to roll with a guild for doing 5 mans to avoid that type of stuff if possible. With a priest you'll be getting whispers asking if you want to run things often and getting a raid spot won't be too hard (especially if you're horde, defensive dispels are a must for early raids so you will be a necessity).

    The big thing here is you'd want to make sure you are ok with healing - dpsing as a priest is a wacky scenario. Many guilds will be ok with having one shadow priest but that's not really a semi-hardcore role - you'll need to be doing a lot of farming just to remain close to other dps, and if you skip the farming you'll be doing bottom of the barrel dps and your guild will be questioning why they brought you. Even with the consumes, you won't really be close to most of the dps'ers if they know what they are doing and you likely will have to wait a while to get those raid drops compared to mages and locks.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Yeah, that Spirit buff is huge. Once you get a dwarf priest into the raid, the value of adding a second one becomes much less. And a third one is useless. Might as well have more healers with that Spi buff then, because that will both increase your mana regen, as well as increase your +healing.
    My options will be
    Human Priest (SPI increase, probably going to be a lot of Dwarf Priests already)
    NE Hunter (highest agi, and shadowmeld in pvp is fun)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Hunters are the easiest class to level which is something you'll want to take into account, priests arent too bad but they are somewhere in the middle of the pack, that being said as a priest you'll have a very easy time getting into 5 mans along the way. As far as world pvp goes shadow priests are extremely strong but IMO things will still be easier as a hunter. It's really up in the air there though.

    That being said you gotta factor in life at 60, which will be rough as a hunter. You'll have a hard time getting the drops you want while competing with rogues and warriors on some things (and in many cases the warriors may reserve those items). You'd definitely want to roll with a guild for doing 5 mans to avoid that type of stuff if possible. With a priest you'll be getting whispers asking if you want to run things often and getting a raid spot won't be too hard (especially if you're horde, defensive dispels are a must for early raids so you will be a necessity).

    The big thing here is you'd want to make sure you are ok with healing - dpsing as a priest is a wacky scenario. Many guilds will be ok with having one shadow priest but that's not really a semi-hardcore role - you'll need to be doing a lot of farming just to remain close to other dps, and if you skip the farming you'll be doing bottom of the barrel dps and your guild will be questioning why they brought you. Even with the consumes, you won't really be close to most of the dps'ers if they know what they are doing and you likely will have to wait a while to get those raid drops compared to mages and locks.
    I'll be running Alliance unfortunately. Never really was a fan of Horde.

    Honestly, now that I think of it more. I am sure only 5-10% of players will make it to 60, and that is being generous. Leveling will kill off almost all new players (ones who didn't play classic originally) and a lot of nostalgia players. Might not be hard to find DPS spots at that point. Although I agree, 5 mans during leveling will be much harder to find as hunter.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Yeah, that Spirit buff is huge. Once you get a dwarf priest into the raid, the value of adding a second one becomes much less. And a third one is useless. Might as well have more healers with that Spi buff then, because that will both increase your mana regen, as well as increase your +healing.
    This is wrong. You would take 6 dwarf priests if you have them. The fear ward cooldown is 30 seconds. The spirit buff is negligible compared to mana gained from potion / rune / nightfin / mageblood. You want as many people as possible fearwarded for mag, nef, post twin emps trash, etc.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Don't clip your auto shot as a Hunter and you'll be wanted in every aspect of the game.

    PS: Busty Dwarf Priests are fun as hell too. No one, and I mean absolutely no one likes being killed by a busty Dwarf ^_-
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneer View Post
    A hunter will provide a better QoL during the levelling & farming process, a priest (esp. dwarf with racial) will on average prove to be a more valuable asset in PvE endgame and should be easier to group & raid with. Personally the main thing that would put me off playing a hunter in PvE is the poor scaling in later tiers.
    Speaking of hunter I was fooling around with one now and the pet MANAGEMENT IS INSANE
    Not even talking about in combat, I mean just keeping him loyal and not having him abandon me is a colossal chore not to mention expensive.
    The loyalty decreases from green to yellow in a matter of minutes, is this suppose to be like this?
    This is just too much of a hassle...
    An Karanir Thanagor,
    Mor Ok Angalor..

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    Speaking of hunter I was fooling around with one now and the pet MANAGEMENT IS INSANE
    Not even talking about in combat, I mean just keeping him loyal and not having him abandon me is a colossal chore not to mention expensive.
    The loyalty decreases from green to yellow in a matter of minutes, is this suppose to be like this?
    This is just too much of a hassle...
    Thats pretty normal at the start, once you get the pet loyality level higher the pet needs way less food. Dont letting your pet die if possible helps too.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2019-03-15 at 10:00 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    Speaking of hunter I was fooling around with one now and the pet MANAGEMENT IS INSANE
    Not even talking about in combat, I mean just keeping him loyal and not having him abandon me is a colossal chore not to mention expensive.
    The loyalty decreases from green to yellow in a matter of minutes, is this suppose to be like this?
    This is just too much of a hassle...
    Like Lonely said, once you get your pet to like Best Friend it needs food WAY LESS often!
    RIP BFA! 8/27.

  20. #20
    Mechagnome Storfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Nostalrius
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Not everyone is a fan of the dwarf aesthetics though. If you really need Fear Ward to get into a raid as a priest, you wouldn't be a good priest. Get into raid based on your actual healing skills, not some buff some race comes with. Tanks should learn to stance dance
    It is true that priests will most often have a place in a raid regardless of their race, but dwarf will give you a slight edge. Being a warrior myself I've seen many warriors fail at stance dancing (myself included on occation). Fear ward is a very nice anti-wipe-ensurance for a few bosses such as Onyxia, Nefarian, Gluth and just the over-all appeal of having fear resistance in the form of fearward is enough to warrant a serious consideration to roll as dwarf.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •