View Poll Results: Which class will be next in 9.0?

Voters
1201. This poll is closed
  • Tinker

609 50.71%
  • Necromancer

167 13.91%
  • Dark Ranger

180 14.99%
  • Bard

86 7.16%
  • Warden

24 2.00%
  • Spellbreaker

33 2.75%
  • Dragonsworn

61 5.08%
  • Timewalker

41 3.41%
Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I feel they could merge necro and dark ranger into a single class if they based it off Sylvanas and expanded the lore. Most of the other things listed are very minimally present in wow lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    [SNIP]

What would you call Holy Paladin and Holy Priest specs if not redundant?
    I don't think they're redundant, anymore than I think an Enhancement Shaman isn't redundant to a Fury Warrior, Rogue, or Windwalker Monk.

Holy Priest and Holy Paladin may have similar aesthetics, insofar that they are light based healers, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. One is a cloth wearing Priest while the other is a Plate wearing Holy Warrior. Their game play is unique and feels different, even if some of the spells are similar in design.

I get the rest of your points though, having some overlap has never been a deal breaker, but each class still is unique in how it plays and what it does.

Between Death Knight with it's actual literal necromancy being a part of the spec, aesthetic and lore and Warlock having the pet using caster thing going on, that's the vast majority of what a Necromancer would bring to the table both aesthetically and game play wise. I'm sure Blizzard could find a way to change things up enough to make a Necromancer class feel and play differently enough to be a unique experience, but that doesn't mean they should.

All that said, Blizzard can do whatever they want, and I'll probably play it regardless.

As much as I honestly don't like the idea of Tinker being a class (I think it might just be the name...it just doesn't invoke any kind of positive reaction to me,) that's about the only thing I think brings enough uniqueness to the table to be a fully fleshed out, unique class in both aesthetics and game play. The world has a ton of technology and a ton of people that can use it...why isn't there a class that is based on the use of technology? If they were to do that, I'd much rather them turn the class into an Engineer and make the profession the Tinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm sure Blizzard could find a way to change things up enough to make a Necromancer class feel and play differently enough to be a unique experience, but that doesn't mean they should.

All that said, Blizzard can do whatever they want, and I'll probably play it regardless.

As much as I honestly don't like the idea of Tinker being a class (I think it might just be the name...it just doesn't invoke any kind of positive reaction to me,) that's about the only thing I think brings enough uniqueness to the table to be a fully fleshed out, unique class in both aesthetics and game play. The world has a ton of technology and a ton of people that can use it...why isn't there a class that is based on the use of technology? If they were to do that, I'd much rather them turn the class into an Engineer and make the profession the Tinker.
    It really depends on how much lore we get within the next 5 years of WoW. I simply make the case that after the Tinker, there's really no restrictions to what constiutes a new class. We have everything we 'need'. That being said, Necromancer is not high on my personal list of classes.

My top three would be Tinker, Dark Ranger and Dragonsworn. Dragonsworn would be much higher had they actually given us any tangible Dragon lore for a class, rather than just faction-wide blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    gnome engineers can play tinkers in mechagon. no need for a whole class.
    EVERYONE is a tinker in Mechagon. So much whimsy.

- - - Updated - - -

Dragonsworn would be much higher had they actually given us any tangible Dragon lore for a class, rather than just faction-wide blessings.
    Have you seen all the dragon stuff in 8.2? Haven't seen so much dragon love since the end of Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Have you seen all the dragon stuff in 8.2? Haven't seen so much dragon love since the end of Cataclysm.
    Absolutely love it!!

But it looks like it's all going to be for the Heart of Azeroth. At the end of it all, it just talks about 'HEART FORGE ACTIVATION'.

It looks like the Dragons are going to lend their essence to the player, so everyone sorta becomes a Dragonsworn. I'd still prefer a full class :P

10+ Year Old Account
    There is only one reason and one you have unable to refute.

They are not a Undead-themed Cloth-wearing Spellcaster class. This is about class identity, not fighting range.
    And again, Blizzard has proven via Xul, the D3 Necromancer, and Death Knights that you don't need to be an undead cloth wearing spell caster to be a Necromancer.

A Death Knight does not fulfill the Necromancer fantasy, otherwise you must explain why there are ~100 people voting for a Necromancer instead of a unanimous 'Death Knights are Necromancers'.
    Just because 100 people want a Necromancer doesn't mean that the DK doesn't fulfill the Necromancer fantasy.

Yes, because your entire basis for 'what can be a class' is 'what holes are there in the class lineup.

As the Demon Hunter has shown, this is not how Classes are decided. There was no 'hole' for Demon Hunters. They broke your concept of Class lineup to create a unique niche for themselves.

And the 14th class would be announced in 2023 considering they announce expansions at least one year ahead of time. That is, if they don't decide to throw us a loop and go for some Allied Classes type concept that breaks the mold.
    True, the Demon Hunter was added because it was a hero class in WC3 and had connections to Illidan who in turn was connected to the Burning Legion. There was also demand for a Demon Hunter class, and with Metamorphosis and their general thematics, they added something unique to the game.

You simply can't say the same about Necromancers.

Absolutely love it!!

But it looks like it's all going to be for the Heart of Azeroth. At the end of it all, it just talks about 'HEART FORGE ACTIVATION'.

It looks like the Dragons are going to lend their essence to the player, so everyone sorta becomes a Dragonsworn. I'd still prefer a full class :P
    There's a Black Dragon (Wrathion) agent who explicitly tells you dragon stuff will be coming up soon.

Like they LITERALLY SAY "you will see soon".

Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas View Post
    Exactly. The 8.2 preview pretty much burries Tinkers as the next playable class, in my opinion. It feels like they want to implement this stuff to close that chapter.
    I'm not sure about that. 6.2 was all about combating Legion-aligned forces in a green place and yet we got DHs right after.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Just because 100 people want a Necromancer doesn't mean the DK doesn't fulfill the Necromancer fantasy.
    Of course not. The DK not being a cloth-based Spellcaster means the DK doesn't fulfill the Necromancer Fantasy.

True, the Demon Hunter was added because it was a hero class in WC3 and had connections to Illidan who in turn was connected to the Burning Legion. There was also demand for a Demon Hunter class, and with Metamorphosis and their general thematics, they added something unique to the game.

You simply can't say the same about Necromancers.
    Sure I can. I can absolutely say there is a demand for Necromancers. There's at least 98 people on these forums who want a Necromancer class. I can only say there is no demand if that number was 0.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    There's a Black Dragon (Wrathion) agent who explicitly tells you dragon stuff will be coming up soon.

Like they LITERALLY SAY "you will see soon".
    I really hope this tease has something substantial to it. I would love some more meaty dragon lore!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure I can. I can absolutely say there is a demand for Necromancers. There's at least 98 people on these forums who want a Necromancer class. I can only say there is no demand if that number was 0.
    You can say there is demand, but you cant say its unique.

I'm sure it's been said before in the previous 29 pages, but there's nothing that indicates there will be a new class. Blizzard does not have to hold to the every other expansion "rule." Just because you see a pattern in a small sample size doesn't mean that the pattern will continue. Is it possible? Yes! Is it likely? Nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    You can say there is demand, but you cant say its unique.
    Why not?

I'd love to see a Necromancer that uses Orphea style shadowy abilities. This is exactly what the Guild Wars 2 Necromancer does. I hoped that the Shadow Priest would have done this, but they have their own take with Old Gods and Insanity. I liked it when Shadow Priests sent shadow clones at enemies, though they kind of overdid it in WoD I think.

Also, Lich form, Spider swarms and Plague Cauldrons are unique. In terms of Game mechanics, they're modified versions of spells that were culled from BFA pruning. Wild Mushroom -> Plague Cauldron, Insect Swarm -> Spider Swarm, and the Lich Form is your standard game mechanic that needs no explanation. Ideally, I would love to see a class that can create a Line of Sight blocker, like summoning this giant Plague Cauldron that not only spills toxins and spreads it out, but lets the Necro use it to LOS their enemies, forcing them to reposition. I don't know if that's even balanceable, but I would love to see them tackle something interesting like that. You got this frail dude who's not very mobile but has lots of tricks up his sleeve to fight his attrition war.

Another ability I could see that would work is a 'vacuum' type spell that sucks mobs together. You use it on pools of poison or to gather mobs for your explody/swarmy type minions. This would go great with a Corpse Explosion type spell.

Honestly you could make a whole class out of all the lost abilities that were culled in BFA and prior. Generally speaking, of course.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-04-18 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not?
    Because the core concept of the class (animating and controlling the dead) is already being utilized by Death Knights.

I still want a cowboy class, a mid-range, dual-pistol, gunslingin’ sonofabitch. Wears cloth, because denim isn’t an armor type, but can’t equip if it’s a dress... the dream, especially if Vulpera make it to the playable state.

Tinkers have a problem. New classes are expansion-themed (DK - lich, DH - Legion, Monk - Pandaria)... and Mechagon is right here, not in 9.0.

And for a future class, I want the GW2´s mesmer. An illusion caster and melee with portals, copies to distract enemies, so so fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axlkix View Post
    Tinkers have a problem. New classes are expansion-themed (DK - lich, DH - Legion, Monk - Pandaria)... and Mechagon is right here, not in 9.0.
    Just like Hellfire Citadel, Gul'dan and Archimonde were in 6.2, and yet we still wound up with Legion in 7.0.

I'd say Tinkers are the one class that doesn't need to be tied in to an expansion theme. Mech suits with explosives are going to be handy no matter what we're going to face next.
    Yohohoho

Quote Originally Posted by Vyomesh2 View Post
    I'd say Tinkers are the one class that doesn't need to be tied in to an expansion theme. Mech suits with explosives are going to be handy no matter what we're going to face next.
    What if you are facing EMP?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axlkix View Post

And for a future class, I want the GW2´s mesmer. An illusion caster and melee with portals, copies to distract enemies, so so fun.
    Ok so if not a tinker, what class do you expect?
    #TeamNecromancer #TeamDragonIsles

What we need is a new Ranged DPS + Healer combo.

Every New class has a Melee DPS spec
    Every New class has a Tank Spec
    Two of Three New classes can heal

Assuming the Hybrid fetish continues, it should be a healer.
    Personally I wouldn’t mind a new pure DPS class with 2 Ranged and maybe 1 Melee DPS spec. The Melee could be a hybrid Melee/Ranged i.e. 10-15 yard range on most abilities.

Tinker does sound likely, although not my first choice.