Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Sticking to the old high warlord grind system is a huge mistake

The old highwarlord grind system is incredibly dumb. It rewards people who play 20 hours a day, and/or account share. Its an objectively bad system. And a perfect example of one of the things they should of changed for these servers.

I know they are scared of opening pandoras box in regards to changes, but this one was a no brainer. Huge mistake.

Anyone have an argument why this system is not embarrassingly awful?

We wanted vanilla. And that's what we'll get. Not just the nice things about vanilla with all the things we found annoying cut out. No. Pure vanilla.

N O C H A N G E S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    The old highwarlord grind system is incredibly dumb. It rewards people who play 20 hours a day, and/or account share. Its an objectively bad system. And a perfect example of one of the things they should of changed for these servers.

I know they are scared of opening pandoras box in regards to changes, but this one was a no brainer. Huge mistake.

Do you have an actual argument as to why they should change it other than you think it's bad?

It's not exactly a good system, but that's not the point. Classic is meant to be as close as possible to the original, the minor changes so far have been just that, and have little to no impact on the actual game. Overhauling the pvp ranking system would do just that, which is not the intention of the project.

Things like spell queuing show they really are trying to get it as close as possible with current tech. Not sure why you'd think they'd overhaul the entire ranking system, we all know there were plenty of shitty things about Classic that are coming back, that's part of the charm for those of us who are actually going to stick around.

It's the way it was in classic.

They're not trying to reinvent it. That's a real slippery slope.

It's a system catered to the hardcore grinders with a lot of time on their hands. Seems fine to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, I was still entertaining the idea of just leveling a shaman for pvp but that news just permanently detoured that plan. The old honor system is THEE dumbest fucking thing they decided not to change.

Now I'm going to sit back and laugh if someone dies from attempting it.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Whether it's awful or not is irrelevant. You folks wanted vanilla.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    people will account share like in vanilla until every other pvp group dies then they will sit back and relax knowing they have a monopoly on the top 10-20 ranks for that server/faction and work out a chart on who gets what rank each week to progress though their list and earn players rank 13 or 14

if you do not follow the chart and earn to much honor you will be at risk of being kicked from your pvp group
    That's exactly what happened to my cousin when I would play his account for him when while he slept when I got home at 1am after work. If manual pvp groups were removed it would be somewhat better...
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Wanna go 14? Be prepared to play 18-20 hours a day for 2 months. This is how it worked back in the day, this is how it's gonna work again.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Yup, I was still entertaining the idea of just leveling a shaman for pvp but that news just permanently detoured that plan. The old honor system is THEE dumbest fucking thing they decided not to change.

Now I'm going to sit back and laugh if someone dies from attempting it.
    This is perplexing to me. You know it's vanilla and began to lay out a road map for PVP but you never thought about the fact that it's vanilla PVP until you were told it's vanilla PVP?

Of course it's awful but it being awful isn't the point. It's not modern tweaks and changes to make it neapolitan, it's archaic vanilla. For better and for worse.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all-aboard the #NoChanges train, but I actually agree that it's a mistake to implement the old Honor system without some changes. It's not healthy for the game or the players attempting the grind. I understand that authenticity is important... but the game could be MUCH better with a different honor system, one that rewards playtime and skill without requiring players to play 22 hours a day for months at a time, or setting up community rotations for players to "win" GM/HWL in a given week. It's a garbage system.

The old honor system only encourages PvP cartels, account sharing, and/or dangerously unhealthy playing habits.

QQmoar nubs. Rank 14 will only be achievable by a low % of people, as it always has been. Don't like it? Don't do vanilla honor PvP grind. Honestly, some people just want rank 11 for the blue set and mount...and that's not difficult to get to.

..did people really think of all the things in Vanilla that would/would not change THAT would be the thing to be changed....

people wanted Vanilla..they will get Vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeaaah, I'm fine with keeping the original pvp system.

Yep, heres the "No changes" brigade, who rather say the phrase no changes than use their critical thinking skills for literally 30 seconds to realize how awful this system is.

I look forward to vanilla servers 2.0 when they inevitably make no brainer changes. It happened to Everquests servers, its gonna happen here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Wanna go 14? Be prepared to play 18-20 hours a day for 2 months. This is how it worked back in the day, this is how it's gonna work again.
    Thinking "no changes" is a better stance than changing this hilariously awful system, is hilarious.

I swear "no changes" is the next "believe women". Its a catchy little saying that sounds good on its face, but upon inspection has fatal flaws. The small minded love their catchy little sayings.
    Last edited by Hinastorm; 2019-04-09 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    QQmoar nubs. Rank 14 will only be achievable by a low % of people, as it always has been. Don't like it? Don't do vanilla honor PvP grind. Honestly, some people just want rank 11 for the blue set and mount...and that's not difficult to get to.
    Casual dads with 1h/week playtime getting angry that they will actually need to do something in order to get stuff instead of recieving BFA welfare items from literally anything w/o making any effort. Who would have thought /s

that was only possible before battlegrounds were released

back then you were forced to solo or you would end up with less honor

battlegrounds will be in from the start from what i understand so there is no chance of any solo player
    No, bgs wont be in from the start.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Already got rank 13 back then, not gonna do it again.

That does not mean that the system gotta change however.

I wonder if they are going to award pre-honor system tabards to the 2 highest(horde/alliance) #1 honor kill per server like the old days
    Last edited by Teri; 2019-04-09 at 12:49 AM.

Thinking "no changes" is a better stance than changing this hilariously awful system, is hilarious.
    It's a good system. It's just not for you. Get over it.

i predict that with the ease of communication social media gives people these days alliances will be set up across factions and win trading will be common place
    Technically this would be against the Vanilla terms of service agreement. You were not allowed to communicate cross-faction like this; I wonder how they will handle this in Classic since with improved communication channels there is no way to snuff it out.