Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Do yourself a big favor people, if you're interested in knowing how the vanilla honor system works, pay no attention to Daish, he has no idea how the system works and keeps regurgitating the same misinformation over and over

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    yeah its not like i lead the PvP group on my server and organised who got what rank when and kept track of all the top standings each week on my server for months
    RIP this server man.

its not like i won the test of honor or anything

o wait i did do those things wowweeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Doesnt look like it at all.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

The rank system favors organized PvP, and it didn't kill off PvP back in Vanilla.
    Only rank 13/14 will require you to be a part of a pvp group, and that sounds like "community" to me. Everyone can raid too, but you're gonna do better with a guild

I was able to grind out Lt. General(rank 11) as a solo player on my Shaman and then later Champion(rank 10) on my Hunter.
    I was also working 40hrs/wk and dating my now wife.

I almost had 12 on my Shaman but a sudden change in working 1st shift to 2nd shift and some irl problems got in the way. Missing a week of PvP sucked as you got higher, but this is what the people asked for when they all screamed "No Changes!" and chased off anyone suggesting even a minor QoL change.

yeah its not like i lead the PvP group on my server and organised who got what rank when and kept track of all the top standings each week on my server for months

its not like i won the test of honor or anything

o wait i did do those things wowweeeeeeeeeeeeee

what you are "shoving" in my face is your own ignorance
    If your knowledge about the system was as good as today then you were the most incompetent bracket leader to ever walk the earth

all you have done is read misleading information and regurgitated it

http://web.archive.org/web/200507060...m/winners.html

this list has RP of the top players on each server

do you see how low some of the top players are 3x 4x lower then the top RP on some servers
    thats because different players were in the top 10 ranks each week on those servers / they had no dedicated players grinding it

it had nothing to do with the servers being low population unless you want to say there is a lower % chance of a dedicated player being on a low populated server and HEY GUESS WHAT that's what your links are doing and you fell into ignorance about how it really worked
    That means nothing, nothing at all.. are you sober man?

Everyone is calling you out on your bullshit, don't you have any shame at all?

all you have done is read misleading information and regurgitated it

you have taken information on somebody displaying stats and using estimations to try and understand how the system works and somehow think its explaining how the system functioned

http://web.archive.org/web/200507060...m/winners.html

this list has RP of the top players on each server

do you see how low some of the top players are 3x 4x lower then the top RP on some servers
    What are you even talking about? All of these people are rank12-14 (50000 RP being full R14 prior to 1.8 and 35000 RP being 0% R12)
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Its an objectively bad system
    Oh, I love this quote!

Guess what? Classic WoW is an objectively bad game. Grind upon grind upon grind. Raids that require months of farming. Attunements. Everything Classic did, later expansions did much better... and, yet, people want Classic. So, if you want what is an objectively bad game, then you get what are objectively bad systems. Deal with it.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Oh, I love this quote!

Guess what? Classic WoW is an objectively bad game. Grind upon grind upon grind. Raids that require months of farming. Attunements. Everything Classic did, later expansions did much better... and, yet, people want Classic. So, if you want what is an objectively bad game, then you get what are objectively bad systems. Deal with it.
    Why do people like objectively bad systems? It's as if they're subjectively bad systems

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Oh, I love this quote!

Objective based on what? Your own opinion? That's called subjective dude.

People are getting what they want, and those asking for Classic are overwhelming in favor of an accurate experience rather than something tailored to today's experience. Skill is unquestionably a better rule for determining who should be at the top of a pvp ladder, but that's not what the game was.

I wouldn't mind it if the system behind getting the ranks was changed so you don't rank up based on how unemployed you are.

Much rather see a system like in oldschool dystopia MUDs where you rank up by killing people at or above your rank, than see that boring abomination make its return.

nobody who grinded those ranks has called me out on the bullshit lol

you were just listing X amount of honor you need for X Standing a few pages back its very easy to see you never played back then
    That stems from your poor comprehension skills which you're still displaying, I don't feel like repeating myself for the 3rd time on why I was using numbers for honor points.

its not a mistake, that's Vanilla, have fun, good luck! Hasn't even launched yet and its begun lmao

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    The old highwarlord grind system is incredibly dumb. It rewards people who play 20 hours a day, and/or account share. Its an objectively bad system. And a perfect example of one of the things they should of changed for these servers.

I know they are scared of opening pandoras box in regards to changes, but this one was a no brainer. Huge mistake.

Anyone have an argument why this system is not embarrassingly awful?
    I love these kinds of threads, clearly, if the intent is to bring the classic feel of the game back to those that long awaited its return, would literally want as it was in classic to be classic and not some rendition of classic WoW. Blizzard can't and should not change a thing from the original game, because they will simply find out how many people will truly want to the play Classic WoW that never got the chance to play in its unforgiving style of play and progress that was literally worse than watching paint dry.

If Blizzard starts or eventually adds the various creature comforts of the past 15 years, then would be no point in bringing a version of Classic out for retail. The entire point is to give those that have begged Blizzard forever to open up Classic style of play, not some hodge podge mix of some of the made the game more tolerable to play for the masses. No the pain of what was Classic needs to remain intact for those that been selling something to the mass for at least 10 or more years now. I started in the middle of TBC and enough of the old content was still in the game. I remember well doing Loremaster under the original way of completing Loremaster. Search for all those breadcrumb quests without the assistance of a third party mod or fansite was a literal pain in the backside. This just one of many examples of what Classic had to offer. Classic and even TBC to a greater extent were about the Journey through the world and less about ramming ones way through the content. So if you can't handle the 20-hour grind that is on you. That is what the game was before all the retail refinements got thrown into WoW to make it into what it is today. Blizzard over the years made the game less about the Journey and more about the money by adding quality of life features that literally killed the community that took years to build and little less than a second expansion to kill. This community is nowhere close to the community that I experienced when I started play the game, which made the slow grind tolerable.

I would argue that the people wanting Classic WoW for nearly a decade or more are going to be disappointed to some degree. They are not going to be able to capture the magic of what the game was back then. The one thing that has gotten lost over time is that sense of community and I mean the entire community. Servers, guilds, realms all had their own identities. I remember many guilds that literally built themselves from the ground up that were smaller communities all to their own selves. I remember many guilds doing various things from PVP night to old raid content and even questing parties, etc. That community in many ways does not exist today, the fact is much of it went south at the tail end of Lich King and has only gotten worse over the course of time. Realms were pretty tight back then and were able to police their own without Blizzard needing to step in. Dirtbags were dealt with, so were cheaters, or people that choose to steal from a guild, and whatever else. The cross-realm feature was a necessary evil when it first got put in the game that only made less continuity across the realms. Realms like guilds did not any longer matter. So what really made this game the game it was back then was less about the content and more about the people that made that community thrive as well as made the game more fun to play.

The only way this coming version of Classic is going to work is if those that have been hardcore about wanting to play it, actually rebuild the community that once existed, if not then the experience will simply be nothing like the last. I don't see a lot of people who can't handle sitting in a queue today actually tolerating the slog that it is going to take to play Classic WoW.

So no, Blizzard needs to leave the content and everything that is associated with that content in Classic to be the way it was when the game was launched.

how old were you in 2005?

Have some self respect man. You're asking me how old I am while behaving like a little kid throwing a tantrum after being proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by adam6961 View Post
    The rank system favors organized PvP, and it didn't kill off PvP back in Vanilla.
    Only rank 13/14 will require you to be a part of a pvp group, and that sounds like "community" to me. Everyone can raid too, but you're gonna do better with a guild
    Raiding is a poor comparison. No one is ever going to get angry and harass you because you are a pug raider who puts in a bunch of time to stayed geared and on top of consumables in order to be the best you can be solo. The problem here is that the "community" created by the PvP system isn't a community, it's a clique which actively manipulates the system and imposes limits on both their own and external players in order to be as efficient as possible.

The closer comparison is devilsaur farming. You can solo devilsaur farm, it can be more effective to farm devilsaurs with other people (community). Neither of these are a problem, the problem comes when you have a specific group (clique) actively locking everyone not part of their group out of devilsaur farming so that they can monopolize and profit off them at the expense of other people being able to access that system.

At the end of the day, "needing" the PvP group isn't a construction of Blizzard's but of that clique attempting to monopolize it. The group barrier here is an artificial one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Raiding is a poor comparison. No one is ever going to get angry and harass you because you are a pug raider who puts in a bunch of time to stayed geared and on top of consumables in order to be the best you can be solo. The problem here is that the "community" created by the PvP system isn't a community, it's a clique which actively manipulates the system and imposes limits on both their own and external players in order to be as efficient as possible.

The closer comparison is devilsaur farming. You can solo devilsaur farm, it can be more effective to farm devilsaurs with other people (community). Neither of these are a problem, the problem comes when you have a specific group (clique) actively locking everyone not part of their group out of devilsaur farming so that they can monopolize and profit off them at the expense of other people being able to access that system.

At the end of the day, "needing" the PvP group isn't a construction of Blizzard's but of that clique attempting to monopolize it. The group barrier here is an artificial one.
    I don't think it is a problem. Even with cross-faction collusion which will inevitably occur. Nothing stops another clique from forming and pushing the old clique out. If we're being honest here, there will always be a clique, the best clique which won't be pushed out and that's just how it is.

This is something that is going to occur far more often than during vanilla because people nowadays understand the fortune that is to be made from monopolizing devilsaur leather.

I've been doing it for years now and it's definitely the most profitable thing you can do during a fresh server. Farming 5k~ gold before ranking is the best thing you can do.

Monopolizing devilsaur on Classic is going to be a lot harder because there won't be NA prime, China prime and EU prime, there will be dead hours which other players can take advantage of to farm devilsaur. There's also the issue that during phase 1 there won't be a honor system so people are going to flock even harder to spots like this to farm gold because there simply won't be any honor to farm.

It's how it worked in vanilla, it's how it should work now, simple as that. If you can't or won't commit the time into getting it then you have the ability to just not go for it, that's all there is to it. No changes all the way.

you haven't proven me wrong all you have linked is somebody posting estimations on how he thinks the system worked mixed up with facts
    take a look at the references and stop behaving like a donut

you have no valid references im a first hand reference you choose to be ignorant towards

it was over a decade ago most links are dead
    https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/wor...explained.html

back in vanilla while grinding honor i had to buy a 2nd account and level an Alliance character on the same server because i won battlegrounds so often the other faction stopped queuing up i use to lead and win AV games back to back in 30min for example

i don't think your old enough to have played the original AV so you wont understand how rare that is

cant find the 30min screenshots but here is a 1h 40m win with me as raid leader and someone thanking me in raid chat

You're one confused little fellow