Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I played in Vanilla and also did a stint in a AB Premade for fun, I seem to recall the ranked system being re-worked so that honor didn't decay among a couple of other changes that made the system less shit, is that not what we are getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    what are you talking about? people did not afk in battlegrounds like AV because they were earning honor from it that would be a retarded way to earn honor

people afked in battlegrounds like AV because they lasted hours and needed breaks

when AV was first released level 1 characters could enter as well

Hahaha oh mate you just revived so many old memories , those endless fights that would last for like 4 H where you'd have to leave have lunch come back re que and join the same AV... God Old Days !!!

Protect the DRUIDS !! Summon the Ancient !!! ohh EPIC !

Quote Originally Posted by Ech0544 View Post
    I played in Vanilla and also did a stint in a AB Premade for fun, I seem to recall the ranked system being re-worked so that honor didn't decay among a couple of other changes that made the system less shit, is that not what we are getting?
    Nobody knows what we're getting, so this is all spectulation. Looking at the trend of Blizzard decisions regarding classic i'd say we're getting the latter form of it.

DISCLAIMER: I don't personally mind what they do; any responses along the "hurr durr you thinkyou do but you don't" are kinda pointless at this stage. They can make no changes or some changes, it's up to them w/e. THAT SAID:

You could keep the system and just make it so the top bracket includes the top 3 or 4% of players instead of 0.5% or 0.2% or w/e it was.

That way you can be relatively sure that after 4 months of constant 8+hour-a-day PVP you're going to have a reward for it instead of having to play the dumb "PvP team politics" game and PVP solidly for 4 months and then another 15 weeks while you wait for your "place in the queue" to come up. Same system, broader reward appeal, because the whole "Play with the cartel or get fucked" emergent gameplay is kinda shitty. The argument to just "make your own group" doesn't hold a lot of merit because of the way the existing PvP ranking team will react to anyone potentially messing with their 'system'; I've witnessed it enough times on pirate servers to know its not a case of whether you're good at WoW PVP or anything like that it's "Are you in with the PVP clique or not"

Before people say anything -I'm not talking about myself I've never struggled to get in and keep my head down, but I've seen it happen to other players who dare to try and rank up themselves; and that kind of competition isn't healthy. With the ease that both factions are going to be in communication with each other; theres absolutely 0 chance that ranking in PVP won't be a collusion effort between the 2 factions on that server.

However with the potential for 4 or 5 players to attain highest CP bracket each week, players who are dedicated no-lifers will still have to play for a third of a year or w/e very regularly, the decay system will still be as effective, they just don't also have to win the "clique lottery" if they don't want to find themselves blacklisted or waiting half a year more for their "turn".

In turn there is less chance of the cliques system getting messed up slightly by others; and they will be able to fix up their players in less time. Does this dilute the reward? Yes, of course it does. But it doesn't lessen the effort required it just levels the field, the first few people to get r14 will still have put in as much effort as tthey would have but the 10th player won't have had to put in twice as much, and the 20th won't have had to put in 3 times as much...
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-04-12 at 10:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I think getting gear from raids should be easier. Having to stack world buffs and farm consumables is really dumb. You shouldn't have to play 8h a day to get the best gear. Sticking to the old raid system is really dumb because I don't have time to play that much. And I don't think people who put alot of time and effort into a game should be rewarded more than me because I'm a stay at home dad and I can only play for 2 minutes each year.

I only got to the Legionnaire rank back in vanilla and that was a pain for me, I guess I'll skip PVP and go for BWL/AQ gear instead.

The High Warlord title, like the rest of Vanilla was never designed to be just handed to you. You didn't get the rewards for just showing up, you had to put in the time. I had so much fun in PVP back in vanilla grinding the titles I didn't care how high I got I just had fun with it, I am actually building my first gaming PC just to play classic I have only ever raided on a Laptop and want to enjoy classic to the fullest extent possible I am super excited for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Yep, heres the "No changes" brigade, who rather say the phrase no changes than use their critical thinking skills for literally 30 seconds to realize how awful this system is.

I look forward to vanilla servers 2.0 when they inevitably make no brainer changes. It happened to Everquests servers, its gonna happen here.

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking "no changes" is a better stance than changing this hilariously awful system, is hilarious.

I swear "no changes" is the next "believe women". Its a catchy little saying that sounds good on its face, but upon inspection has fatal flaws. The small minded love their catchy little sayings.
    "No changes" people, like me, don't mind broken things about the game, because it's just a place to get your nostalgia-kicks, not a foundation for some new WoW experience. I will never grind for HW that I have to maintain in order to use the gear, but that's ok.
    Mother pus bucket!

I seem to be the only one here who couldn't give a flying fk about pvp lol

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The old highwarlord grind system is incredibly dumb. It rewards people who play 20 hours a day, and/or account share. Its an objectively bad system. And a perfect example of one of the things they should of changed for these servers.

I know they are scared of opening pandoras box in regards to changes, but this one was a no brainer. Huge mistake.

Anyone have an argument why this system is not embarrassingly awful?
    Wanting the vanilla experience is by default wanting a lot of awful systems. Everything is as it should be.

What would you have them do? Put in ranked BG's and arenas?

Sorry, but some people like me want vanilla as it was warts and all. Does it REALLY affect you if 1% of the player base grinds harder than you or has more free time and has a meaningless title? It doesn't give them legendary weapons or anything to overpower them; if anything i fear a nax geared raider with a legendary more than i do a high warlord.

Perspective and all.

There's current wow for those who don't want to commit time or energy into classic, but there's currently nowhere for fans of classic wow to go until it comes out. Don't take that away from us.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honest question, why are we mad about keeping the grind system?
    Like, why does it matter?
    Are you hurt that, back in the day, you achieved rank 13/14, but in today's world you simply won't have the time?
    Seems like "working as intended".
    Maybe you never got that high and, with Classic coming out, you thought maybe you could?
    Well, if that's the case, put in the time like everyone else.
    Or are we mad that the highest titles aren't just given out to everyone like a participation trophy?

I mean, how do you change it to fit the landscape of Classic without causing even more issue?

The old highwarlord grind system is incredibly dumb. It rewards people who play 20 hours a day, and/or account share. Its an objectively bad system. And a perfect example of one of the things they should of changed for these servers.

I know they are scared of opening pandoras box in regards to changes, but this one was a no brainer. Huge mistake.

Anyone have an argument why this system is not embarrassingly awful?
    What total hogwash.

If you can play 20 hours a day.. you should get 20 hours of results.
    If you play 2 hours a week? Play BfA... they give you everything for 2 hours play a week.
    Putting things like caps and gating in the game only reduce the value of playing the game, and puts the "unfairness" onto other people.

TLDR;

In an MMO, not everything has to be achievable by everyone.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It rewards people who play 20 hours a day
    Which is pretty much most of the #nochanges crowd, so it makes sense.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Exactly. This is the result. Everyone wanted vanilla so bad. Now they want vanilla "lite". A vanilla with changes that make it different then the original.
    When you realize that some people wanted the original, and other people want changes, and that there was no one changing their mind but simply multiple groups interested in the game, you'll stop saying things like this.

EDIT: Actually, I'll even go so far as to say there were (statistically speaking) some people who changed their mind, but even so, that doesn't change the fact that you're talking about two (or more) different groups and their opinions on Vanilla/Classic.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2019-04-12 at 03:21 PM.

I'll never get the high ranks myself, but I still do not think the system needs changing. It should be what Vanilla was.

You don't personally have to do everything. Even if you want to. Enough commitment and it might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    what are you talking about? people did not afk in battlegrounds like AV because they were earning honor from it that would be a retarded way to earn honor

people afked in battlegrounds like AV because they lasted hours and needed breaks

when AV was first released level 1 characters could enter as well

You are not just wrong. but VERY wrong
    Check my achievements bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyMG View Post
    You are not just wrong. but VERY wrong
    Ofc people afked in AV. But that never got them anywhere because honor again from objectives was very small. People mostly afked for rep.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    What.

Tell that to all the Rank 14s that got it before people understood how the honor system worked simply by pure "luck" aka anyone that got it before September 2005.

Its only hard because its a shit system and instead of the "Farm groups" simply rotating people they kept trying to outfarm each other, ending in endless cycles of multiple friends playing 24/7.

I did it for 3 characters, not all the time, i just helped out during the Rank13/Rank14 weeks for some friends on a tryhard server that had 2-3 Alliance groups fighting each other like morons.

While on my own server since there was only 1 good farm group on each side, it was much much easier and much less played required.

There was nothing hard about it, it was 100% how moronic and childish each server was.
    They could probably make the grind a lot less painful by extending the brackets; say make the top 2% players be rank 12 instead of the literal top 0.1% or something. So you still need to grind a lot to achieve that prestigious reward, but aren't locked into lifeless turbonerd mode and virtually playing against people in your own faction.

Maybe Blizzard will do that somewhere down the line, after too many players experience the system and are sick and tired of needing to grind constantly.

Smart min-maxer's will just do, what most did in vanilla. Get EZ R11 (mounts) or R12 (3 free epics) with the AV bonus weekends and just fill the rest of gear with raiding or class quests (hunters/priests).

You did not need the R14-weapon farm if you could get Lok or Anathema with even the most casual raiding groups.

If you choose the right class, the whole pvp rank system was just as easy to min-max as the current gearing with a single weekly M+10 chest.
    -