Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Maybe you should google up a graph to show you how wrong you are. I would rather be poor in today's times than poor 30 years ago.
    You clearly haven't the reason you rather be poor today than 30 years ago is technology but back then most families were single income living the American dream now they are barely keeping their heads above water with both parents working.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    What jobs report showed that and when? I'm aware of the unemployment rate but I'm not a believer that info is accurate, especially with all the lay offs and stores closing this year. Even still another source of depression is the awful low paying jobs that people have no choice but to accept.

Different expectations are different all over the world. If you live in a dark cave all your life and haven't seen light then you have no ambition to seek going outside. Like the men who jumped off buildings during the great depression when they found out they were poor. All they lost was their fortune but the idea of that lifestyle change was depressing enough to kill themselves. So imagine a teenager ready to enter the work force who already maybe from a poor family has to look forward to 40 hours a week working at McDonald's. To someone from Kenya that's their fantasy since they'll be able to live comfortable compared to what they've had, but to someone coming from 1st world country this prospect is depressing.

I just found out my friend was molested when he was young because he came from a poor family and he went along with it cause this man bought him goodies that he couldn't get otherwise. Today he's an alcoholic who goes to AA meetings and he's suicidal, all from that past event in his life. His family wasn't poor as in Uganda poor, but little kids do get jealous and poke fun at you for not having certain clothing and things. Poverty is relative.
    If you do not accept the figures from the department of labor, then no one will convince you. Believe what you want.

I can see in some isolated cases where extreme poverty could cause a suicide. Esp. In adults. But unless you can show me some well documented studies, which link poverty to suicides among minors as the leading cause, I will not accept it as a root cause of this problem.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Pretty sure apart from those examples of martyrdom that suicide is very much a no-go for Buddhists... Saying "there are times" isn't strictly speaking false, but it's almost akin to saying "Crucifiction is seen positively by Christianity". . .

Dunno if any Buddhists wanna chip in; but after talking about it with locals I was left with the very clear impression that suicide is about as "sinful" as it is possible to be in Buddhism...

Culturally it maybe; if you read the sutras it’s not because the thing that matters is your mindset when you do it. Death in Buddhism is just a gateway to rebirth, or nirvana.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Are the people of Guyana and Lituania also not believing enough too?
    It’s not about believing. It’s about Gnosis.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    So people in these countries didn't know enough of scripture, are you being serious?

Culturally it maybe; if you read the sutras it’s not because the thing that matters is your mindset when you do it. Death in Buddhism is just a gateway to rebirth, or nirvana.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Just because a person identifies as a certain belief, does not mean they practice it. Some use it like you would nationality. It only means it is what they are use to and was raised under.

But guys, too much religion discussion on here will only get the thread closed. I suspect it already is tilted toward exhausted.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yep. Just because a person identifies as a certain belief, does not mean they practice it. Some use it like you would nationality. It only means it is what they are use to and was raised under.

But guys, too much religion discussion on here will only get the thread closed. I suspect it already is tilted toward exhausted.
    I think the diversity of the nations on the list proves that religion plays very little to no part in suicide rates there are obviously other factors involved. I think it's wishful thinking to say those people simply didn't know enough about religion for it to work you guys are sounding like my mother /shiver.

So people in these countries didn't know enough of scripture, are you being serious?
    Knowing scripture, and memorizing prayer is not it.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s why I’m being cryptic, lol. But yes, religion to many has become a creed.

The number of Americans who don’t have sex reaches all-time high — and young men are the most affected by the ‘drought’
    https://www.zmescience.com/science/n...drought-04232/
    Maybe they should actually try? Doesn't Japan have a huge sex draught, and less suicide? You must be really reaching and deep into incel culture to try and relate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    sex is just a rush of dopamine in the brain which can easily be replicated by anti depressents which i also take.
    Which one? Because the only one that works with Dopamine is is Wellbutrin which is a DNRI.

Knowing scripture, and memorizing prayer is not it.
    You do realize you've just dismissed millions of people for not being godly enough to get this magical suicide protection you think religion gives you right?

Quote Originally Posted by MHMabrito View Post
    Maybe they should actually try? Doesn't Japan have a huge sex draught, and less suicide? You must be really reaching and deep into incel culture to try and relate the two.
    Japan has a high suicide rate, and they have herbivore men which mirror the “incels” here.

They are tangentially related, as death and life are.

Sex means more children/life, suicide is the opposite.

That sex is lower, birth rate is lower and suicide is high, should be warning signs for a culture.

- - - Updated - - -

You do realize you've just dismissed millions of people for not being godly enough to get this magical suicide protection you think religion gives you right?

And? I’m being truthful. Ask a priest or mythic worth his or her salt and they will tell you the same thing.

And? I’m being truthful. Ask a priest or mythic worth his or her salt and they will tell you the same thing.
    I am sorry but you just threw logic out the window instead of facing reality religion plays zero part in this because most people tend to be born into their faith. I rather look at things like culture, economics, societal pressures which show a pattern. It's rather arrogant to say that your faith is just better than millions of your fellow Christian, how unchristian of you.

That sex is lower, birth rate is lower and suicide is high, should be warning signs for a culture.
    Again, I think you're reaching here. Do you have any evidence that fits your claims, or are you just preaching from your narrative? Also, then what's the correction that needs to be made? Women should just have sex with any man that asks them? If you're unattractive, it's mostly of your own doing - people don't just deserve to have sex.

It is not poverty... watch the video...

And that number (50%) is wrong:

Current estimates on poverty in the U.S. The official poverty rate is 12.3 percent, based on the U.S. Census Bureau's 2017 estimates. That year, an estimated 39.7 million Americans lived in poverty according to the official measure. According to supplemental poverty measure, the poverty rate was 13.9 percent.

What is the current poverty rate in the United States?
    https://poverty.ucdavis.edu/faq/what...-united-states
    Do be wary of how poverty is defined. Federal its at 25k a year, when in reality living with a kid at under 40k a year is near unlivable without substantial help. Where I live (Greater Detroit Area, MI), living alone with under 33k a year is impossible.
    Though poverty doesn't help, it is most certainty not the main cause of child to teen suicide rates. Probably higher up for young adults 19-28.

If you do not accept the figures from the department of labor, then no one will convince you. Believe what you want.

I can see in some isolated cases where extreme poverty could cause a suicide. Esp. In adults. But unless you can show me some well documented studies, which link poverty to suicides among minors as the leading cause, I will not accept it as a root cause of this problem.
    Several banks were questioned about their ability to withstand another recession. Why? They haven't done this since the 2008 recession. But one bank CEO was missing,and that's cause Wells Fargo's CEO stepped down over a week ago due to all the scandals going on. Then you have the Feds warning about the housing market for 2019.

There's a reason nobody wants you to believe we're in a recession because saying it will make things far worse. I don't have faith in the department of labor's figures. If people in America have been living impoverished since 2008 recession then that would explain the depressed state in American families and their children.

I am sorry but you just threw logic out the window instead of facing reality religion plays zero part in this because most people tend to be born into their faith. I rather look at things like culture, economics, societal pressures which show a pattern. It's rather arrogant to say that your faith is just better than millions of your fellow Christian, how unchristian of you.
    The bolded is the issue... and who says I am Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by gioderpington View Post
    Do be wary of how poverty is defined. Federal its at 25k a year, when in reality living with a kid at under 40k a year is near unlivable without substantial help. Where I live (Greater Detroit Area, MI), living alone with under 33k a year is impossible.
    Though poverty doesn't help, it is most certainty not the main cause of child to teen suicide rates. Probably higher up for young adults 19-28.
    That depends a lot on what part of the country you live in. For example, the cost of living in Cal. is much higher than it is in Ohio. 40k per year for a family of two is very attainable in a lof of areas. But you still have some valid points. The cost of living raises some get helps some much more then it does others depending on where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by MHMabrito View Post
    Again, I think you're reaching here. Do you have any evidence that fits your claims, or are you just preaching from your narrative? Also, then what's the correction that needs to be made? Women should just have sex with any man that asks them? If you're unattractive, it's mostly of your own doing - people don't just deserve to have sex.
    With great freedom should come great responsibility... instead we have people pursuing their every whim. So the "correction" is adopting meaning, responsability, and some moderation... or you can take the work that's already been done and look at the wisdom that has been collected by our ancestors...

Pursue the Virtues as best you can. Wisdom, Courage, Justice, and Temperance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Several banks were questioned about their ability to withstand another recession. Why? They haven't done this since the 2008 recession. But one bank CEO was missing,and that's cause Wells Fargo's CEO stepped down over a week ago due to all the scandals going on. Then you have the Feds warning about the housing market for 2019.

There's a reason nobody wants you to believe we're in a recession because saying it will make things far worse. I don't have faith in the department of labor's figures. If people in America have been living impoverished since 2008 recession then that would explain the depressed state in American families and their children.
    Well, time will prove if what you are saying turns out to be true. Around here where I live, things are going really well. So once again, it will depend on who you ask.

The bolded is the issue... and who says I am Christian?
    Either way religion seems immaterial whatever magic you think it give is not showing up in the facts. It's a fact that Asian societies overworking themselves to the point that they have a term for dying from it is more a factor than them choosing the wrong fictional book to believe in.