Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
LastLast
  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Study: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam..._term=04089%20

    Suicidal behaviour has nearly doubled among children aged 5 and 18, with suicidal thoughts and attempts leading to more than 1.1 millions ER visits in 2015 -- up from 580,000 in 2007.

    Along with that:

    The number of Americans who don’t have sex reaches all-time high — and young men are the most affected by the ‘drought’
    https://www.zmescience.com/science/n...drought-04232/

    There was mini-documentary on the rising "Deaths of Despair" in America that touched on this issue:



    I think this will increase going forward because the main issues are not being dealt with in our society. And it has nothing to do with "diversity" and "equality".
    Attention seeking millennial snowflakes, end of story

  2. #282
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    It is not the only option, there are and were women doing a bunch of things besides that... but it is one of the most important "options" we have as living organism. Men have yet figured out a way to make new life without women, nor how to raise them properly without two or more adults supporting each other.
    So you are once again proving my point your solution is to just have women be baby making machines.

    I grew up in it; the secular Jews are doing much worse then the religious. But look for yourself.
    Whatever role you think religion has maybe just maybe it works on a small scale but it obviously doesn't on a country wide level otherwise the numbers would bear that out. Can we now stop talking about fairy tales and discuss real factors?

  3. #283
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    One path
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think the problem today is that there's a sense of a lack of a future.
    People are free to create one for themselves but get psychologically challenged far more and way more often than they did in the past thanks to phones, media of all kinds and internet. Once physical marks of sedentary lifestyles set in they take it as an indication that their own body is rejecting them and lose their minds instead of making necessary course changes for their own and their communities benefit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MHMabrito View Post
    So you think the way to peace on earth is through.. religion? Are you serious?
    Are you? Whatever your griefs are they certainly wouldn't have anything to do with actual people or separation of church and state, right?
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2019-04-11 at 03:33 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

  4. #284
    People actually believe this garbage? 15 pages...
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

    Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Like I said, lets wait and see... The studies and I could be wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I said it matters on the mindset, and that's in the Suttas themselves... ie, the "bible" of the Buddhists... and I tend to agree with them on that.

    Suicide is a personal choice... but the why matters.
    The studies arent wrong. They serve a purpose, you are not using them properly.
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

  6. #286
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    The studies arent wrong. They serve a purpose, you are not using them properly.
    Ok, then I will be wrong... lets see what happens, shall we? Hopefully I am wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    So you are once again proving my point your solution is to just have women be baby making machines.
    I would gladly be a "baby making machine", and take care of my family, and kids, than have to work (at a 9 to 5, motherhood/parenting is itself “work” that I would be doing).

    I do not care what your issue is with that, it is your issue... nature gave women a built in purpose that they can take on should they choose... and many that are religous are taking that choice. You do not like it, that's also your choice... but your choice seems to lead to what we have now in the west when taken to the extreme of the caricature you keep using when talking about motherhood.

    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Whatever role you think religion has maybe just maybe it works on a small scale but it obviously doesn't on a country wide level otherwise the numbers would bear that out. Can we now stop talking about fairy tales and discuss real factors?
    "Fairy tales" give people meaning, and purpose... they are real factors... the alternative seems to be nihilism if you don't get your way...
    Last edited by Connal; 2019-04-11 at 04:24 PM.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  7. #287
    Country Crude Suicide Rate Rank
    Lithuania 31.9 suicides per 100k 1
    Russia 31 suicides per 100k 2
    Guyana 29.2 suicides per 100k 3
    South Korea 26.9 suicides per 100k 4
    Belarus 26.2 suicides per 100k 5
    Suriname 22.8 suicides per 100k 6
    Kazakhstan 22.5 suicides per 100k 7
    Ukraine 22.4 suicides per 100k 8
    Latvia 21.2 suicides per 100k 10
    Lesotho 21.2 suicides per 100k 9
    Belgium 20.7 suicides per 100k 11
    Hungary 19.1 suicides per 100k 12
    Slovenia 18.6 suicides per 100k 13
    Japan 18.5 suicides per 100k 14
    Uruguay 18.4 suicides per 100k 15
    Estonia 17.8 suicides per 100k 16
    France 17.7 suicides per 100k 17
    Switzerland 17.2 suicides per 100k 18
    Croatia 16.5 suicides per 100k 19
    Equatorial Guinea 16.4 suicides per 100k 20
    India 16.3 suicides per 100k 21
    Poland 16.2 suicides per 100k 22
    Moldova 15.9 suicides per 100k 24
    Finland 15.9 suicides per 100k 23
    Serbia 15.6 suicides per 100k 26
    Austria 15.6 suicides per 100k 25
    United States 15.3 suicides per 100k 27
    Sweden 14.8 suicides per 100k 28
    Sri Lanka 14.6 suicides per 100k 29
    Thailand 14.4 suicides per 100k 31
    Kiribati 14.4 suicides per 100k 30
    Portugal 14 suicides per 100k 33
    Iceland 14 suicides per 100k 32
    Cuba 13.9 suicides per 100k 34
    El Salvador 13.7 suicides per 100k 35
    Trinidad And Tobago 13.6 suicides per 100k 37
    Germany 13.6 suicides per 100k 36
    Luxembourg 13.5 suicides per 100k 38
    Australia 13.2 suicides per 100k 39
    Mongolia 13 suicides per 100k 40
    Slovakia 12.8 suicides per 100k 42
    Denmark 12.8 suicides per 100k 41
    Netherlands 12.6 suicides per 100k 43
    Canada 12.5 suicides per 100k 44
    Norway 12.2 suicides per 100k 48

    http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/



    Do these countries have any similarities?

  8. #288
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    Country Crude Suicide Rate Rank
    Lithuania 31.9 suicides per 100k 1
    Russia 31 suicides per 100k 2
    Guyana 29.2 suicides per 100k 3
    South Korea 26.9 suicides per 100k 4
    Belarus 26.2 suicides per 100k 5
    Suriname 22.8 suicides per 100k 6
    Kazakhstan 22.5 suicides per 100k 7
    Ukraine 22.4 suicides per 100k 8
    Latvia 21.2 suicides per 100k 10
    Lesotho 21.2 suicides per 100k 9
    Belgium 20.7 suicides per 100k 11
    Hungary 19.1 suicides per 100k 12
    Slovenia 18.6 suicides per 100k 13
    Japan 18.5 suicides per 100k 14
    Uruguay 18.4 suicides per 100k 15
    Estonia 17.8 suicides per 100k 16
    France 17.7 suicides per 100k 17
    Switzerland 17.2 suicides per 100k 18
    Croatia 16.5 suicides per 100k 19
    Equatorial Guinea 16.4 suicides per 100k 20
    India 16.3 suicides per 100k 21
    Poland 16.2 suicides per 100k 22
    Moldova 15.9 suicides per 100k 24
    Finland 15.9 suicides per 100k 23
    Serbia 15.6 suicides per 100k 26
    Austria 15.6 suicides per 100k 25
    United States 15.3 suicides per 100k 27
    Sweden 14.8 suicides per 100k 28
    Sri Lanka 14.6 suicides per 100k 29
    Thailand 14.4 suicides per 100k 31
    Kiribati 14.4 suicides per 100k 30
    Portugal 14 suicides per 100k 33
    Iceland 14 suicides per 100k 32
    Cuba 13.9 suicides per 100k 34
    El Salvador 13.7 suicides per 100k 35
    Trinidad And Tobago 13.6 suicides per 100k 37
    Germany 13.6 suicides per 100k 36
    Luxembourg 13.5 suicides per 100k 38
    Australia 13.2 suicides per 100k 39
    Mongolia 13 suicides per 100k 40
    Slovakia 12.8 suicides per 100k 42
    Denmark 12.8 suicides per 100k 41
    Netherlands 12.6 suicides per 100k 43
    Canada 12.5 suicides per 100k 44
    Norway 12.2 suicides per 100k 48

    http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/



    Do these countries have any similarities?
    A lot of the top ones were once under communist control (or part of Russia).
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  9. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    A lot of the top ones were once under communist control (or part of Russia).
    free market is working!

  10. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    "Fairy tales" give people meaning, and purpose... they are real factors... the alternative seems to be nihilism if you don't get your way...
    Then show me the data that proves it on a national scale, the countries with the lowest suicide rates vary by nationality, culture, scale and religion. This proves that it has nothing to do with religion but a number of other major varying factors, apparently they didn't get your memo about believing hard enough.

  11. #291
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Then show me the data that proves it on a national scale, the countries with the lowest suicide rates vary by nationality, culture, scale and religion. This proves that it has nothing to do with religion but a number of other major varying factors, apparently they didn't get your memo about believing hard enough.
    Today in modernity, that is going to be hard to prove... Going back a few hundred years when people looked to their spiritual faith for support, it is much easier, while life at the same time was harder.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  12. #292
    Don't share nudes on social media then.

  13. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Today in modernity, that is going to be hard to prove... Going back a few hundred years when people looked to their spiritual faith for support, it is much easier, while life at the same time was harder.
    So you basically have no data to prove it only faith that it works, I mean we have countries with religious laws and they don't fare any better or worse. It's very fitting since all your assertions are based on personal beliefs without any factual data to back it up.

  14. #294
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    So you basically have no data to prove it only faith that it works, I mean we have countries with religious laws and they don't fare any better or worse. It's very fitting since all your assertions are based on personal beliefs without any factual data to back it up.
    I said I cannot prove it today because today modernity has wiped out a lot of what worked to keep society stable.

    I can only show you pockets of societies that stick to what has worked in the past, and it still seems to work...for them.

    But, you can live your life as you please... you choose to live it as you like, I choose to do the same.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I said I cannot prove it today because today modernity has wiped out a lot of what worked to keep society stable.

    I can only show you pockets of societies that stick to what has worked in the past, and it still seems to work...for them.

    But, you can live your life as you please... you choose to live it as you like, I choose to do the same.
    Of course you can choose to live as you please but we have no way of knowing that society was more stable back then especially given all the war, strife and disease. But modernity has not wiped out religious societies unless your hypothesis is based on those difficulties being the reasons it worked such as people marrying and having kids early due to a short life span.

  16. #296
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Of course you can choose to live as you please but we have no way of knowing that society was more stable back then especially given all the war, strife and disease. But modernity has not wiped out religious societies unless your hypothesis is based on those difficulties being the reasons it worked such as people marrying and having kids early due to a short life span.
    We can infer by history, ie that it was "worse" due to things like resources, food, disease, war (which was fought to secure those things), but that suicide rate from what we know, seems to be going up now...

    My contention is the same one Jung and other psychologists made... that without a stable cultural narrative, and without a "future" one can see for themselves, society tends to turn into what we have now...

    People killing themselves, depressed, believing in anything that gives them some meaning:

    ‘Snapewives’ and ‘Snapeism’: A Fiction-Based Religion within the Harry Potter Fandom
    https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/5/1/219/htm

    Suicide rates rise sharply across the United States, new report shows
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9659722a61a6
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I think this will increase going forward because the main issues are not being dealt with in our society. And it has nothing to do with "diversity" and "equality".
    This is a good thing. There are too many people. There is not enough wealth and resources to go around. At some point, the problem will solve itself because those that remain will live in prosperity much like Thanos (movie version) suggests.

    Suicide is not as big a tragedy as irresponsible, unprotected sex.

  18. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Being depressed became one of the first real mental illness "show offs" in America. Everyone talked about having it in some way or another, many People confused being sad every so often as actual depression and convinced themselves they were depressed like some self fulfilling prophecy.

    People that then were legitimately depressed suddenly had to deal with every Person they turned to for help just saying "Oh yeah like I'm totally depressed as well" which just made the World seem like a far darker place than it was, which likely added to an actual depressed person feeling even more helpless in a careless World.
    It doesn't have much to do with that the world seems dark. It's more that you don't get the support or belief you need when you come out with depression. People playing it off as it currently is means that people that try to reach out are just assumed to be one of the jokers / exaggerators.

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    It doesn't have much to do with that the world seems dark. It's more that you don't get the support or belief you need when you come out with depression. People playing it off as it currently is means that people that try to reach out are just assumed to be one of the jokers / exaggerators.
    People don't have to be depressed or even sad to be suicidal. It's just like quitting WoW or something else you're bored with. Some people really do not want kids. If you don't want kids, then there may not be anything else on the menu of life that you're interested in. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. It just means you don't want to play the game.

  20. #300
    Close your social media. Close your TVs
    Go out in the world and live.
    Suicides will drop!
    It's that easy

    Smartphones are the enemy of happiness
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •