Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

    What's most worrying for me is how many of the kids I see who are afraid to go to school due to school shootings, or being shot by the police.
    I hope you explain to those kids they're more likely to get hit by a comet than to die from either of those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

  2. #22
    Society won’t be happy again until technology advances enough to have personal AIs.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I hope you explain to those kids they're more likely to get hit by a comet than to die from either of those things.
    I do, takes a bit more work than that to unpack it though.

  4. #24
    Honestly, though, I posted this thread awhile back - “Researchers found more of the same while sifting through the data for this study. Teenagers' life satisfaction, self-esteem and happiness plummeted after 2012.”

    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...d-hang-out-IRL
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    There are a few studies on this now:

    Why Are Young People Having So Little Sex?
    Despite the easing of taboos and the rise of hookup apps, Americans are in the midst of a sex recession.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ession/573949/
    To the relief of many parents, educators, and clergy members who care about the health and well-being of young people, teens are launching their sex lives later.
    Ok. 10char
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

  6. #26
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Honestly, though, I posted this thread awhile back - “Researchers found more of the same while sifting through the data for this study. Teenagers' life satisfaction, self-esteem and happiness plummeted after 2012.”

    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...d-hang-out-IRL
    Yeah, real life bonds cannot be replaced by social media/screens.

    And I agree with you on the AI point. I think once the AI starts to "filter" things, and maybe encourage things like going outside, or talking with people face to face, etc, people will start getting real social connections again.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    [COLOR="#FAEBD7"]
    We need to bring spirituality and community back into these men's lives.
    Hard pass

    10char

  8. #28
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    Ok. 10char
    They are also having kids later, and fewer... which has all kinds of consequences on health of the children, and society.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    https://www.zmescience.com/science/n...drought-04232/ 29 men answered no on a question about sex and now there is a "drought" fml. I get hammered for small sample sizes in a story on billionaires but this gets a pass. SMH.
    I conflated "small sample size" with the "no sex" thing...

  10. #30
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    12,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Huh wouldn’t figure the numbers would be so high.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    They are also having kids later, and fewer... which has all kinds of consequences on health of the children, and society.
    Still doesnt support the idea of there being a "drought" in which young men just cant have sex. And having fewer children and later on is a product of economic development and changes, mainly young women given a chance to further a career and not being pushed into marriage in order to survive.
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Huh wouldn’t figure the numbers would be so high.
    Why? Black Christian churches have always been a thing.

  13. #33
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    Still doesnt support the idea of there being a "drought" in which young men just cant have sex. And having fewer children and later on is a product of economic development and changes, mainly young women given a chance to further a career and not being pushed into marriage in order to survive.
    That does not stop unintended consequences, like:

    The link between autism and older parents is clear, but the why is not
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.f40a2821aa6f

    Among other genetic mutations... ASD cases are on the rise afterall...

    As for Men not having sex, argue that with the studies... that "Incels" tend to be mostly (all?) men lends some credence that men are losing on the sex lottery.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I conflated "small sample size" with the "no sex" thing...
    My pp smol.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    That does not stop unintended consequences, like:

    The link between autism and older parents is clear, but the why is not
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.f40a2821aa6f

    Among other genetic mutations... ASD cases are on the rise afterall...

    As for Men not having sex, argue that with the studies... that "Incels" tend to be mostly (all?) men lends some credence that men are losing on the sex lottery.
    I did, in my first post. You cant use 29 people to say there is a drought and people pushing sex later on isnt a sign of rising "inceldom" or something like that. You just want to be cynical about sex.
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

  15. #35
    Stop giving kids participation trophies.

    That’s the root of this entire issue.

  16. #36
    Sad news.

    Gotta say, I had my fair share of gaming/phone/social media addiciton and at one point I found myself more depressed, sad and sort of alone. Im a grown ass man so I realised this and took action.

    I play less games, I removed Social media stuff from my phone and also had to "force" myself not to check phone & play games often.

    It felt like quitting snus(nikotin thing) the first couple of days. Its like a addiction.

    After about 1 week I felt much better and have kept going since.

    The social media buff is just ruining more than its worth.

  17. #37
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    12,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Why? Black Christian churches have always been a thing.
    Ya but I wouldn’t have thought there numbers would have been so much higher then any other religions group in America.

  18. #38
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    I did, in my first post. You cant use 29 people to say there is a drought and people pushing sex later on isnt a sign of rising "inceldom" or something like that. You just want to be cynical about sex.
    I am married and have sex... this is not about me... but this is about society at large that seems to be having issues with sex...
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  19. #39
    Many factors contribute to this. I think if we look specifically at this age group we'll see that they're under a hell of a lot more pressure than I was at that age. The pressures of social media to live the "perfect" life, the pressure that school puts on them and the pressure from society to "live their best life" are huge IMO.

    In my state the school's funding is determined by how well the students score on their state wide exams so the schools are operating like for profit institutions and use these kids to get as much money as they can. I had the chance to sit in on my kindergartner's class and couldn't believe the curriculum, the pace at which the class moved and how seemingly difficult some of the test questions were. Not to mention that his class runs from 7:20am to 3:20pm, In fucking KINDERGARTEN!

    They're burned out by the time they reach 18 and have no means to cope with it. We've been telling them that they're special snowflakes since they were born yet society is putting them through the meat grinder. Many turn to drugs or alcohol and others turn to suicide. It's fucking sad. These kids are being duped by society and clueless parents who either aren't aware of what is going on or don't give a shit.

    A simple message to any teen who happens to read this post: The world is a lie, there is nothing wrong with you because you don't have an incredible IG profile nor is there anything wrong with hating school. There is a ton of joy and purpose to be found in life outside of a career and social media. Hang in there, life gets much better.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangdingow View Post
    Many factors contribute to this. I think if we look specifically at this age group we'll see that they're under a hell of a lot more pressure than I was at that age. The pressures of social media to live the "perfect" life, the pressure that school puts on them and the pressure from society to "live their best life" are huge IMO.

    In my state the school's funding is determined by how well the students score on their state wide exams so the schools are operating like for profit institutions and use these kids to get as much money as they can. I had the chance to sit in on my kindergartner's class and couldn't believe the curriculum, the pace at which the class moved and how seemingly difficult some of the test questions were. Not to mention that his class runs from 7:20am to 3:20pm, In fucking KINDERGARTEN!

    They're burned out by the time they reach 18 and have no means to cope with it. We've been telling them that they're special snowflakes since they were born yet society is putting them through the meat grinder. Many turn to drugs or alcohol and others turn to suicide. It's fucking sad. These kids are being duped by society and clueless parents who either aren't aware of what is going on or don't give a shit.

    A simple message to any teen who happens to read this post: The world is a lie, there is nothing wrong with you because you don't have an incredible IG profile nor is there anything wrong with hating school. There is a ton of joy and purpose to be found in life outside of a career and social media. Hang in there, life gets much better.

    You can't tell me that kids have a harder life now then back in the day when everyone worked on farms. A lack of community and spirituality is causing it.
    .

    "This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

    -- Capt. Copeland

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •