Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Neat thou I wonder why they took 2 years to release this image if they took the picture back in 2017,
    I can see them taking afew months to double check the data
    They had to process data from a ridiculous amount of images, to the point that it took five petabytes of storage. It's going to take two years to get through all of that and compile it into something that makes sense!

5+ Year Old Account
    This artist, with no data whatsoever, made this picture, posted before the "big reveal"

oh look, its a black hole with a vortex... what a lucky guess..
    https://www.deviantart.com/shootings...veal-793194366

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I know all of that but scientists should down their hype anouncements. Sure it would get less attention but science shouldn't indulge in this kind of tacky behavior..u got every media in the world counting down the days of the reveal. Some might have expected a lot but i knew we could never see the iris..so what could it be? A lot of pessimism that we with our primitive tech could find anything interesting. I didn't like the idea of any picture, i wanted only data, information...anything about the great mystery, but noooo..instead get picture of the surroundings with lower resolution than minecraft..
    Anyone who knew anything about astrophysics knew exactly what we were getting, here. The "hype" did not oversell anything. We got exactly what they said they might have been able to capture; an actual image of a black hole, rather than a hypothesized construction based on the math.

Now, you might say "but we can't see the actual HOLE", and I'm going to point out this is an asinine question, which ignores the physics, and what the word means. You not understanding some basic astrophysics is not an argument.

This artist, with no data whatsoever, made this picture, posted before the "big reveal"

oh look, its a black hole with a vortex... what a lucky guess..
    Yes, we've got plenty of artisitic guesswork, some based on more physics than others (yours is a pretty poor representation, the one from the movie Interstellar was so good it won awards in physics).

But those are artistic guesses. They aren't actual pictures. Which this is. It confirms the hypothesis, and that's a really big fucking deal.

I know all of that but scientists should down their hype anouncements. Sure it would get less attention but science shouldn't indulge in this kind of tacky behavior..u got every media in the world counting down the days of the reveal. Some might have expected a lot but i knew we could never see the iris..so what could it be? A lot of pessimism that we with our primitive tech could find anything interesting. I didn't like the idea of any picture, i wanted only data, information...anything about the great mystery, but noooo..instead get picture of the surroundings with lower resolution than minecraft..
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...lack-hole-data

Just being able to store that much data for the image that we got was an impressive feat in and of itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    No what? That's exactly what I described.

Your picture doesn't show the event horizon. Must make u butthurt that its not as interesting as u want people to think.
    oh yes i bet those scientists are real butthurt knowing they have contributed more to society than you ever will.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone please tell me that the semantics argument that's been going on is just an elaborate troll and not at all serious.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    This is not an actual picture of it. This is reconstruction of data that they got using interferometry and picturing the data. "Picture" is a mental shortcut in this case. Getting an actual picture like you mean it is impossible with current technology
    Aye, but still better than I was expecting based on stuff I remember seeing in the past