Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

Resident Evil 2 HD Rebuild AKA REmake 2

So its been no secret that Capcoms whole "the resident evil audience is old, we want to make it action orientated for kids" fell far short of projections and was met by a less than stellar response from fans of the series while "revalatons" in its slightly more traditional design was far more popular.

After the reactions to Shenmue 3 and FF7 - Remake Capcom has been dropping some wispers about Resident Evil returning to form since we have clearly seen the audience of the 90's is still here. Que 2 days ago and the Biohazard development team are asking on Capcoms facebook if fans are interested in a Resident Evil 1 remake AKA "REmake" for current gen of Fan Favourite Resident Evil 2.

https://www.facebook.com/residentevi...11658972188323

"Hello Resident Evil fans!
    This is Capcom R&D Division 1!
    First off, we would like to express our deepest appreciation to all Resident Evil fans, for your passion, enthusiasm and continued support for the Resident Evil brand.
    Enthusiasm for a Resident Evil 2 Remake is something we've been hearing from you over the years, and has drawn some recent attention in the media.
    However, as the team owns the RE brand, we're not certain how we feel about this approach, and would like to ask your honest and frank opinion about the “Resident Evil 2 Remake” and what the brand identity is supposed to be about?"

Naturally after seeing the series devolve into a dull action shooter the response was an overwhelmingly positive "UUUUUUH YEAHTHATMIGHTBBEPRETTYCOOL" from Resident Evil fans.

I thought nothing of it, we've all been waiting on HL3 for years right?

But then i remember this year saw the return or annoucnements of twin peaks, dragonball, digimon, x files, ff7, shenmue, but a RE2 remake? no. NO it couldnt be....

Then Capcom just posted this image:

UUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I've been burnt too many times to say get the ron paul gifs ready just yet, but man, you never know with the year we have had.

Maybe Resident Evil can actually be salvaged?

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

According to Resident Evils official facebook that 'leaked' image was a proposal for 'REmake 2' that was taken into Capcom head office today. Along with the thousands of cries for a return to the old style and combined with how insanely profitable REmake HD was earlier this year the Bigwigs apparently said:“can YOU make a worth seeing game to answer these fans full of passion???"

I think after REmakes sales and the insanely huge response to Monster hunter 4 in the west Capcom is realising -like Square did with Bravely Default that if they make games like they used to instead of aiming for the disgusting practice of "wider market appeal" the audience is still ready and waiting.

Given Konami is moving into Pachinko machines which effectively means Silent Hill is dirt in the ground this might be the thing Survival Horror fans have been waiting for since the early 2000's!
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2015-07-31 at 10:34 PM.

Yes please Take my money now Capcom.

Yay!

I loved the early Resident Evil games - they were (and still are) much scarier than the later titles in my opinion. So if they're remaking the second...I'll be very happy when I get my hands on it.

I didn't play Resident Evil 2. If it's similar to 4 then I'm in.

Resident Evil 2: Las Plagaspalooza incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Not even. 4 was the drastic change that led to the downfall of the series into a damn action shooter game instead of a survival/puzzle one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer non-tank controls and 3rd person Code Veronica style, but I would take the current games look with less aiming and and drastically slowed down.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Anything before 4 is not remotely close to well... 4.

Resident evil before 4 was essentially a point and click adventure game except no clicking but there is pointing with a gun though. You get all the logic of a point and click adventure, which is not much logic.

Theres now been some apparent insider 'leaks' that the REmake 2 project has been in production since REmake HD became the best selling digital console game of all time and this is all a viral marketing campaign on Capcoms part to ride the FF7 remake euphoria post E3 to work people into a frenzy since the lead dev on REmake HD has apparently been pushing for REmake 2 for years.

Thus far all signs point to the fact that a REmake style remake of Resident Evil 2 is actually happening.

Now we just gotta see what kind of control style it goes for. They have said since 6 bombed and revelations sells then revelations will be the action spin off series and as the thousands of replies to this showed -along with REmakes sales- the Resident Evil audience wants the fixed camera style back again.

I'm a lot more hopeful for this right now than ff7 remake coming out as a faithful adaptation of VIII on the PS1 so far. The camera change however will be the big deal i feel.

Unless they give options for both since both RE2 and RE4 style are both tank controls with a different camera style after all.

100% CONFIRMED. RESIDENT EVIL 2 REMAKE IS HAPPENING.

To the surprise of nobody, Capcom continues to simply to HD remakes of old games instead of bothering to make new ones.

Trailblazing innovators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    To the surprise of nobody, Capcom continues to simply to HD remakes of old games instead of bothering to make new ones.

Trailblazing innovators.
    At least they're not Konami and turning old games into slot machines.

Trailblazing innovators.
    I wonder if they'll ever remake the Breath of Fire games? Or give us a new title in the main series...

I don't mind getting a remake for an older game so long as it remains relatively loyal to the core material though. A new Resident Evil title set in the same style as the older games - but updated - would be pretty cool. They should create a modern 'Raccoon City' and set a bunch of games there during different periods of an outbreak.

Then bring some old and new faces alike into the battle for survival.

Trailblazing innovators.
    Let's not confuse people though. RE2 will need to be completely re made from the ground up. They don't have a better version of it like with 1 and 0 to simply remaster in HD. They have the crappy ps1 version, which is beyond hope. Everything will be re done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I wonder if they'll ever remake the Breath of Fire games? Or give us a new title in the main series...
    You know Breath of Fire 6 is coming out this year right?

Oh but it's looking to be a terrible phone based mmo. Yes.

Trailblazing innovators.
    Compare REmake's total rebuild of Resident Evil to the Silent Hill HD collection's absolute butchering of Silent Hill2 and 3. Capcom are far from what they used to be but in terms of remakes there is far, far worse track records in the genre alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

You know Breath of Fire 6 is coming out this year right?

Oh but it's looking to be a terrible phone based mmo. Yes.
    I didn't know that. How disheartening.

Trailblazing innovators.
    Im sorry but after RE4 they ruined the franchise. Id much rather have hd remakes of everything up to 4 rather than have them stumble again.

10+ Year Old Account

Trailblazing innovators.
    You do realize that there will be absolutely nothing lazy about this REmake, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Im sorry but after RE4 they ruined the franchise. Id much rather have hd remakes of everything up to 4 rather than have them stumble again.
    I actually loved every game in the series (played and beat each one several times since I borrowed the 1st one off my friend in late 1996) and especially love Revelations 1 and 2, and the much hated Code Veronica (great show piece for my Dreamcast at the time too). I do understand why people hate the later games though and I much prefer the slower gameplay as well. Just no tank controls, please.

Oh yeah, here's a rundown for each game in the series I've bought more than once:

RE1 - Saturn, PSX Dualshock Edition, and Nintendo DS
    RE2 - PSX, N64
    RE3 - PSX
    RE:CV - Dreamcast and Gamecube
    REmake - Gamecube, Wii, and PC
    RE0 - Gamecube
    RE4 - Gamecube and Wii
    RE5 - X360 and PC
    RE:R1 - 3DS and PC
    RE6 - X360 and PC
    RE:R2 - PC

The two gun games for the Wii as well. I didn;t bother with the other side story crap.
    Last edited by Usagi Senshi; 2015-08-13 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    You do realize that there will be absolutely nothing lazy about this REmake, right?

I actually loved every game in the series (played and beat each one several times since I borrowed the 1st one off my friend in late 1996) and especially love Revelations 1 and 2, and the much hated Code Veronica (great show piece for my Dreamcast at the time too). I do understand why people hate the later games though and I much prefer the slower gameplay as well. Just no tank controls, please.

Oh yeah, here's a rundown for each game in the series I've bought more than once:

RE1 - Saturn, PSX Dualshock Edition, and Nintendo DS
    RE2 - PSX, N64
    RE3 - PSX
    RE:CV - Dreamcast and Gamecube
    REmake - Gamecube, Wii, and PC
    RE0 - Gamecube
    RE4 - Gamecube and Wii
    RE5 - X360 and PC
    RE:R1 - 3DS and PC
    RE6 - X360 and PC
    RE:R2 - PC

The two gun games for the Wii as well. I didn;t bother with the other side story crap.
    The thing is once they put out RE4 resident evil stopped being a resident evil game, it was a action adventure third person shooter not even using zombies anymore. I loved all of the games before it, i liked re4 but i hated what it did to the series. And your talking to someone whos read all of the backstory books on RE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    The thing is once they put out RE4 resident evil stopped being a resident evil game, it was a action adventure third person shooter not even using zombies anymore. I loved all of the games before it, i liked re4 but i hated what it did to the series. And your talking to someone whos read all of the backstory books on RE.
    This may be true but I think they were wise (fucking hell using this word to defend Capcom) enough to know that pre-rendered backgrounds (even though REmake's was fucking amazing and 0's were too) and tank controls were going to cut it forever. When i first saw the ater versions of 4 I fought kicking and screaming until i beat the first playthrough of the game at 19 hours and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The made up space plant zombie shit still left a bad taste in my mouth though TBH.