Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I mean... I wouldn't be surprised if they restricted continued access to expac to active subscribers only. after all, nearly all of the current end game activities in KOTET are subscription only, so....

I'll probably still subscribe for a month if only to check out new content, but after that... only time will tell.
    I'll double check, but I think the only thing literally locked behind a subscription is Command XP. Players are able to do Flashpoints and even Operations, they just can't get loot from them (FP after they do so many and none at all from Ops).

So the activities are all still there, it's just the loot that's locked, really. Still a shitty system, though.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised either at this point, just more disappointed. I just don't understand how you can make the decision to lock actual content behind a subscription when you're a free to play game. LotRO does this too, and it's awful, it's what made me stop playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'll double check, but I think the only thing literally locked behind a subscription is Command XP. Players are able to do Flashpoints and even Operations, they just can't get loot from them (FP after they do so many and none at all from Ops).

So the activities are all still there, it's just the loot that's locked, really. Still a shitty system, though.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised either at this point, just more disappointed. I just don't understand how you can make the decision to lock actual content behind a subscription when you're a free to play game. LotRO does this too, and it's awful, it's what made me stop playing it.
    as far as i know - no ops, and no what's they are called - things that are flashpoints but not really and they have minimal to no story? forgot their name. and I'm fairly certain there was something else. UPRISINGS, that's what they are called, and apparently you can still do them with a premade, but last i played actively enough to try, it was near impossible to find a random group for those, let alone a premade. but at least I was wrong about them being completely inaccessible.

this is from 2017, but as far as i know - this hasn't changed much https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor...scriber-guide/

and yeah, its a pretty shit system, IMO. like.... i refuse to play ESO without subscription on my main account becasue I'm big time into crafting and storage becomes a problem without subscription - if you craft (well that and decorating limits for housing). however, i can STILL do just fine without. in swtor, restrictions are much more severe, to the point where even with all the possible permanent unlocks (which I have - got them back when they were still cheap during shadow of revan and while the game wasn't quite as dreary as it is now, the writing was kinda on the wall already), the only thing you can feasibly do is solo story.

at least they seemed to have removed a particularly punitive restriction of not even being able to get or open the boxes from daily missions....

but anyways, yeah - funnily enough I stopped playing lotro for much the same reason as you :P

I guess we shall see what happens with this new expac. I'm.... mostly reserving final judgement until its out.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-04-16 at 04:02 PM.

I wonder why are we getting an expac after so long, did swtor got some playerbase back? like, recovering a little?

- - - Updated - - -

Dont get me wrong, im thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    I wonder why are we getting an expac after so long, did swtor got some playerbase back? like, recovering a little?

- - - Updated - - -

Dont get me wrong, im thrilled.
    Probably because a new Star Wars film is coming out and they want to bank on the free PR? Same with the Fallen Jedi game. Which makes sense to be honest, even if the PR is not that great for the films, never mind for SWTOR itself. But a lot of us do have a soft spot for the game (and talking about myself, a lot of bitterness for a number of things about it) so we will be checking to see at least what it's all about, what with the constant reminders about Star Wars in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Based on PTS feedback they've pushed the release date of Onslaught back a month to October 22nd. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190826

That's fine by me, I'd rather have a more bug-free and solid expansion then something rushed out the door to meet a deadline.
    Putting money that they're delaying to get further away from WoW classic but...that's also a good move. No point in trying to compete against it, take a bit more time to polish things up and then try to swoop in to nab some folks who have had their fill of yesteryear and are likely looking for something a bit different.

Delay is fine taking into account how things were unfinished still on the PTS.

Also, letting vanilla and shadowbringers chill helps with getting players atention. It's not a bad date.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Delay is fine taking into account how things were unfinished still on the PTS.

Also, letting vanilla and shadowbringers chill helps with getting players atention. It's not a bad date.
    Yea I do recall that SWTOR released a shitty, unsatisfying final chapter to KOTFE literally a weekend before Legion's launch. Baaaad move :P
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Based on PTS feedback they've pushed the release date of Onslaught back a month to October 22nd. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190826

That's fine by me, I'd rather have a more bug-free and solid expansion then something rushed out the door to meet a deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    At the moment it's just September if they can hit that target date. The September date was given quite a while ago. I'm no sold on them hitting that date with all the craziness bioware has been going through as of late (and thats just the stuff we hear about - no telling whats happening internally).

Would love to see it in September but I'm not getting my hopes up. This is biwoare after all. If it does come in September then I can be pleasantly surprised bioware stayed on target.
    Seems like my guess was right with the expansion being delayed.
    Makes me think the internal problems bioware is having is a bit worse then I originally thought. I don't think it's just because wow classic happened.
    Last edited by quras; 2019-08-27 at 07:33 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Is the next expan gonna be a big story one like KOTET or smaller stuff like rise of the hutts?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Is the next expan gonna be a big story one like KOTET or smaller stuff like rise of the hutts?
    To me from what I can tell it feels more like Rise of the Hutts. I think they are staying away from anything like Kot - "Whatever".

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    To me from what I can tell it feels more like Rise of the Hutts. I think they are staying away from anything like Kot - "Whatever".
    Ah that’s a shame. While the wise of the hutts stuff wasn’t awful it’s not the kind of stuff I play swtor for and only larger story stuff would get me to resub.

7+ Year Old Account
    As much and as many times as I've tried to play this game, I just could never get into it for some reason. I think WoW just ruined me when it comes to similar games. And trust me, I REALLY want to play this game and do whatever type of endgame stuff there is and collect stuff, etc, etc. Maybe I'll try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by discofleshpot View Post
    As much and as many times as I've tried to play this game, I just could never get into it for some reason. I think WoW just ruined me when it comes to similar games. And trust me, I REALLY want to play this game and do whatever type of endgame stuff there is and collect stuff, etc, etc. Maybe I'll try again.
    It looks even worse than WoW, its visually unplayable for me and the gameplay is super rigid and clunky.
    I can't believe this game was released in december 2011. I had no idea swtor was that old. But still, it looks and plays fucking awful.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    It looks even worse than WoW, its visually unplayable for me and the gameplay is super rigid and clunky.
    I can't believe this game was released in december 2011. I had no idea swtor was that old. But still, it looks and plays fucking awful.
    And that's exactly where my gripes come in. The GCD feels bleh. The animations feel delayed and don't flow together with button presses. It just doesn't feel good. Visually, I'm on the fence. It's lofi but it's also a different art style than WoW. I specifically fell in love with WoW because of the art style, firstly. Then the game consumed me.

I haven't played in a good long while. Did they ever revamp the combat system at all? I remember having to do finger gymnastics to be able to do some of the intricate rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I haven't played in a good long while. Did they ever revamp the combat system at all? I remember having to do finger gymnastics to be able to do some of the intricate rotations.
    they did some changes to skills, how some skills worked with others and GCD (the normal stuff all MMOs do after time goes by) but the combat system is still the same.

they did some changes to skills, how some skills worked with others and GCD (the normal stuff all MMOs do after time goes by) but the combat system is still the same.
    From back when I used to play, I always felt like Bioware was changing the flavour abilities instead of dealing with the core rotation-ones that were the real issue. For example, slowly removing practically every long-range ability from scrappers because they used to have 1 in their single target and 1 in their AoE rotations was bollocks imo, especially when you consider that for Focus Guardians still had a rotation (never mind utility) that felt like trying to play the 3rd Movement of Moonlight Sonata.

As for the delay of the expansion, I believe it's a combination of both Classic/FF14 and the internal problems we all speculate about. We'll find out soon enough

I just hope whatever it is makes sense for an NFU, the story for the last two xpacs was so force-oriented (with small exceptions) that I couldn't get as invested in it as I would have liked.
    I'm not sure I could agree more with you then I do now.

The whole KOT** was just garbage if you were a non-force user. I'd like to think bioware learned a lesson in NOT doing that given half the playable classes are NFU and this is far from the only place that brings that particular issue up when talking about KOT** Issues.

I just hope whatever it is makes sense for an NFU, the story for the last two xpacs was so force-oriented (with small exceptions) that I couldn't get as invested in it as I would have liked.
    I'm not sure I could agree more with you then I do now.

The whole KOT** was just garbage if you were a non-force user. I'd like to think bioware learned a lesson in NOT doing that given half the playable classes are NFU and this is far from the only place that brings that particular issue up when talking about KOT** Issues.
    I hope the story is as large and involved as the KOT** stuff, but yeah, make it so it's not so Force user oriented.

KOT** didn't even feel right unless you were the Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight because of how central the Emperor was to the story and how connected to you he was. That only makes sense with those two classes, even with the other force users it felt weird for the Emperor to be paying attention to you. The rest of the story felt OK, fighting Force with Force, but everything Emperor related was just weird.

glad i waited to sub, since it got pushed back to october 22nd.

guess i'll be subbing on the 22nd of this month, unless the cut off point for getting it free is sooner than that.

also, been seeing videos of nautolans. they are, imo, the best done new species of them all. i wish togruta were this well done.

they look like the actual npcs, just better. the togruta look like painted humans with weird shell hats.