1. #1
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,482

    Heirlooms - How best to upgrade?

    Recently, Blizzard added yet another upgrade layer onto the heirlooms: 110 to 120.

    Upgrading ~100 heirlooms yet again, is a costly business, if done by gold: Over halv a million..
    Not to mention the new ones we got in BfA from the Medal vendor, they need total upgrade from the bottom, increasing to the cost.

    There are currently 5 ways to get the upgrades: Gold, Timewarped Badge, Tricky Treat, Ancient Coin and Burning Blossom.
    110->120 is still only available for gold and Timewarped Badges, but I guess the will be available with the last three, when we get close to the events.
    Oddly, you cannot buy upgrades with Medals.. That would have been my favorite way to do it.

    What is YOUR favorite way to upgrade them?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  2. #2
    with gold . 2 tokens on EU will be more then enough gold to cover most of itl . and the time you save is worth much much more then 40 euro . for most of people in developed countries its like 1-2 hours of work so who cares really

    you can also buy it with badges etc but imo its completly inefficient - would rather stay extra hour in work then wasting many hours farming boring stuff in game to buy it. (if i had to but most people have way much more free "resources" without overhours anyway)
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2019-04-15 at 11:00 AM.

  3. #3
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,482
    I see your point, and I probably forgot to add Token to the list of options.

    However, I do not like the token idea, myself. I already pay €12,99/month and €40-60 every other year for the expansion..
    Buying my heirlooms with real money, goes against every fiber in my body (i.e. I hate micro transactions), even though €40 (for 2 tokens) is just 3 hours work (after tax is paid).. And no, I cannot get 2x180=360K gold in 3 hours in game in any way, unless I'm extremely lucky and get one of the rare mount drops..

    Also, tokens are at an all time low right now: 179.181g as we speak.. One year ago (18/5-18, 12:58) it was 401.827g - It's less than half in one year.
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2019-04-15 at 11:10 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    I see your point, and I probably forgot to add Token to the list of options.

    However, I do not like the token idea, myself. I already pay €12,99/month and €40-60 every other year for the expansion..
    Buying my heirlooms with real money, goes against every fiber in my body (i.e. I hate micro transactions), even though €40 (for 2 tokens) is just 3 hours work (after tax is paid).. And no, I cannot get 2x180=360K gold in 3 hours in game in any way, unless I'm extremely lucky and get one of the rare mount drops..

    Also, tokens are at an all time low right now: 179.181g as we speak.. One year ago (18/5-18, 12:58) it was 401.827g - It's less than half in one year.
    true - but still beats farming content for hundreds of hours to get badges.

    alternatively one can play AH but it will also take you many hours to get 400k .

    i was speaking stricly from time efficienty manner.

    if you dont mind collecting them for months ? sure other sources are ok . but mine is most efficient.

  5. #5
    I had the gold on hand to upgrade every single heirloom to 120 day 1 of the patch release, so that's how I went about it. That said, I was left with ~60k gold on my main realm, but I don't really have anything I need to spend gold on anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  6. #6
    If they don’t grant an XP bonus then they don’t get upgraded... saves a fortune!

  7. #7
    I ended up using Timewalking Badges. During WoD and Legion downtime I ran the timewalking once a week on my tanks\healers for the 500 badges, so I had about 5-10k badges over 12 toons. If you don't want to spend gold and got some time to grind badges you can do the Chromie scenario.

    Here's a guide if you're interested. I haven't used this yet but it may be helpful to someone. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...booster_guide/

    Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

  8. #8
    The Hive Mind Demetrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Unicomplex 01
    Posts
    1,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    If they don’t grant an XP bonus then they don’t get upgraded... saves a fortune!
    Exactly.

    Also I first went to upgrade those that I'm going to use the most. For example, before they came out I've already had 2 leather using classes at 120, which means I got only 1 left and it won't get leveled anytime soon, but on the other hand I've not leveled a single plate class. So plate looms have the prio there.

    I do my upgrades via gold. That's the easiest currency to get for me at the moment.

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral Fayenoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Land of Far Beyond
    Posts
    1,060
    Buy them using gold using a Goblin alt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

  10. #10
    If you want to cheap out, buy all the cloth XP heirlooms. Leather/mail/plate wearers can use them and do get the XP bonus. Of course you miss out on agility or strength so you'll be even weaker, so if you do this I would suggest making separate "fight" and "XP" gear sets. Kill monsters with the fight set, then switch to XP to hand-in quests.

  11. #11
    I would never spend Timewarped Badges on heirlooms, there are just too many things that are only available for those badges. If you want to count whether it makes sense spending gold, compute the amount of gold you need to spend on heirlooms on one side (A), then compute the amount of time these heirlooms are going to save you (B), then multiply that by the amount of gold you think you will be able to easily make (= farm) per hour (C), then compare the results (A vs C).

  12. #12
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Buy them using gold using a Goblin alt.
    By now, everyone is exacted with Undercity, so Goblins don't offer any discount.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I would never spend Timewarped Badges on heirlooms, there are just too many things that are only available for those badges. If you want to count whether it makes sense spending gold, compute the amount of gold you need to spend on heirlooms on one side (A), then compute the amount of time these heirlooms are going to save you (B), then multiply that by the amount of gold you think you will be able to easily make (= farm) per hour (C), then compare the results (A vs C).
    i can tell you how it looks for me . i already leveld up 2 toons to 120 using looms - on average it saved me around 3 hours per toon . 2 toons were like 5-6 hours .

    i already made net gain on first toon since i bought gold with tokens

  14. #14
    Do you really need every single heirloom upgraded? Just doing one set per armor type of the xp-boosting ones will cost about 130k, which isn't too bad. And if you aren't actively leveling every single armor type you can get away with even less than that. You don't need the duplicate pieces, you don't need the necks, and IMO you really don't even need things like trinkets and weapons (although those may at least give you something of a boost).

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral Fayenoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Land of Far Beyond
    Posts
    1,060
    Update only the heirlooms that give you XP bonus. I upgraded a trinket in addition (the 2% HP on kill). That's huge if you stack it specially for classes which cant self heal. No need to upgrade weapon past 100. Get artifact at 100 and that should be good enough till 110.

    I think the biggest benefit of heirlooms is lower levels 20-100. Beyond 100, only the XP bonus ones will suffice. So neck (common), ring (common). Now it is perfectly ok to wear non class rings/necks. Stats are irrelevant and XP bonus is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

  16. #16
    Bloodsail Admiral ThatsOurEric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,141
    I recommend using badges. Allows me to save my gold, and since I'm not in a hurry, I can upgrade my characters at my leisure.

  17. #17
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    Do you really need every single heirloom upgraded?
    No one needs anything in this game.

    But a lot of people are completionists, and for heirlooms, toys and pets, so am I
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  18. #18
    Heirlooms should be unique in that the armor type changes depending on class/spec of the character, thereby severely limiting the number of different heirlooms one needs to accommodate their alt. What is the use in having so many different pieces when everyone wants the same thing: decent stats and +X% experience gain that stays relevant from level 1 to level cap minus 1.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •