Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    LG CX is what I went with when I got a PS5. It's an OLED, so you should research that before purchase.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled
    If you really want the best TV for the PS5 (and everything, really), and price isn't a huge concern--this is the answer. To his point though--OLEDs have some stigmas about them, particularly around burn-in that are mostly dated thoughts, but worth looking into. I'd also recommend taking a look at HDTVTest on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/hdtvtest/videos for a lot of good insight into this TV (and TVs in general).

I'd probably give a nod to Sony's next gen OLEDs as well (just launched), as they're looking quite good so far (A80J/A90J), but the price premium is nuts.

Worth noting that we're in the transition period to new models (LG C1 replaces LG CX, they're also launching the G1, which is slightly better), so the outgoing models should sell at discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    If you really want the best TV for the PS5 (and everything, really), and price isn't a huge concern--this is the answer. To his point though--OLEDs have some stigmas about them, particularly around burn-in that are mostly dated thoughts, but worth looking into. I'd also recommend taking a look at HDTVTest on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/hdtvtest/videos for a lot of good insight into this TV (and TVs in general).

I'd probably give a nod to Sony's next gen OLEDs as well (just launched), as they're looking quite good so far (A80J/A90J), but the price premium is nuts.

Worth noting that we're in the transition period to new models (LG C1 replaces LG CX, they're also launching the G1, which is slightly better), so the outgoing models should sell at discounts.
    Risk of burn in is more than just outdated stigmas in cases of regular heavy use of things with static visual elements that remain on screen for long periods of time.

Gaming falls into that group, so does watching sports or keeping news channels on for long periods.

There's definitely merits to OLEDs having the edge in image quality, but one should think through it properly if lots of gaming is in your usage pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    It's completely silent compared to previous generations. My work laptop makes more noise.

Btw anyone know a good TV to match with the PS5? Thinking 65" size
    Definitely LG CX or BX if you can find them on a discount, which is not that uncommon. Samsung has a few decent pickings with their Q80 or even less expensive LED counterparts, but the quality/price you get from the LGs is much better in my opinion, also you probably can't use 120hz/4k. if you're really strapped for cash, Vizio has some great alternatives like the M7.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Risk of burn in is more than just outdated stigmas in cases of regular heavy use of things with static visual elements that remain on screen for long periods of time.

Gaming falls into that group, so does watching sports or keeping news channels on for long periods.

There's definitely merits to OLEDs having the edge in image quality, but one should think through it properly if lots of gaming is in your usage pattern.
    I don't disagree that it's a consideration, and is certainly something that can/does still happen. But I do think the risks are a bit overstated and grounded in faults with dated technology (plasmas and early OLEDs). The CX has quite a few features to protect the TV and it takes quite a bit of purposeful punishment to cause burn-in on a defect-free TV nowadays. I fall into a few of those categories (gaming and sports regularly) and have yet to have an issue with any of the OLEDs I've owned (a small sample size--I know).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlP2kwNqXNA
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test

If you're going to play the exact same PS4/PS5 games with heavy static imagery (FIFA, CoDs, etc) for 5-6 hours a day for years, then I'd agree you may want to look elsewhere--unless you're OK replacing your TV every few years. Otherwise, I don't think there's much to worry about.

As long as you watch various content and practice common sense (don't leave the TV on a static image for hours at a time), you shouldn't experience image retention or burn-in with an LG CX. Assuming it's not defective, of course.

Even if you do get burn-in I hear LG is pretty good about replacing panels even without a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    As long as you watch various content and practice common sense (don't leave the TV on a static image for hours at a time), you shouldn't experience image retention or burn-in with an LG CX. Assuming it's not defective, of course.

Even if you do get burn-in I hear LG is pretty good about replacing panels even without a warranty.
    they're only good if you cause a stink on social media. I called CS and they basically told me to get fucked...made some noise on their facebook page and got my panel replaced for free. My tv was 2 years old at the time(its not a new OLED TV, and is about 5 years old now).

There is a setting on my CX called logo luminescence or something, and I put it on high and it catches most hot areas in the UI I believe, and I don’t know for sure but I believe the screen shifts pixels constantly in a small rotation by sacrificing an irrelevant amount of real estate. IMO the software from lg has came a long way. Still a consideration though.

My only worry about the Sony option was software.

I love games like PS5 demons souls that have dynamic UI. BL3 PS5 has UI luminescence option and I like to think that option is for OLED.

I was SO worried about burn in, but can honestly say after getting my CX, I can never go back. Infinite viewing angles and incredibly rich color. Try Persona 5 Royal on PS5 and bask in the glow of those colors!! It doesn’t get as bright as my other TVs but you are robbing your eyes not playing this in a dark room. The dream is alive with the LGCX. Perfection approaches!
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-03-28 at 12:58 AM.

There is a setting on my CX called logo luminescence or something, and I put it on high and it catches most hot areas in the UI I believe, and I don’t know for sure but I believe the screen shifts pixels constantly in a small rotation by sacrificing an irrelevant amount of real estate. IMO the software from lg has came a long way. Still a consideration though.

My only worry about the Sony option was software.

I love games like PS5 demons souls that have dynamic UI. BL3 PS5 has UI luminescence option and I like to think that option is for OLED.

I was SO worried about burn in, but can honestly say after getting my CX, I can never go back. Infinite viewing angles and incredibly rich color. Try Persona 5 Royal on PS5 and bask in the glow of those colors!! It doesn’t get as bright as my other TVs but you are robbing your eyes not playing this in a dark room. The dream is alive with the LGCX. Perfection approaches!
    Logo luminance and screen shift are two different settings on the CX. Screen shift does what you described and logo luminance lowers the brightness of pixels of static images (ui elements) by about 20%.

All in all I’m very happy with the CX. I can actually notice the difference between high res and frame rate mode image quality for Ghost of Tsushima where on my old sharp 4K I didn’t. I also love the impossibly thin panel. I felt like the stand that came with it weighed more than the tv itself

I can't wait to read all the incoming "Disco Elysium blew my fucking mind" posts here. Most of you probably have a PC and may have played it already, but for those who just picked it up on the PS5, you have no freaking idea how jelly I am that you are experiencing it for the first time.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-04-02 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I can't wait to read all the incoming "Disco Elysium blew my fucking mind" posts here. Most of you probably have a PC and may have already played it already, but for those who just picked it up on the PS5, you have no freaking idea how jelly I am that you are experiencing it for the first time.
    I picked it up and played a bit the night of release. Right at the beginning I encountered a game breaking bug with dialogue after an npc left for her room. I haven’t picked it back up since then because I had to close the game in order to leave the dialogue box. The ps5 subreddit was pretty divided in enjoying it and being frustrated with performance and bug issues.

I can't wait to read all the incoming "Disco Elysium blew my fucking mind" posts here. Most of you probably have a PC and may have played it already, but for those who just picked it up on the PS5, you have no freaking idea how jelly I am that you are experiencing it for the first time.
    I think it will end up the same bin as Detroit for me. They look good, I want to play them, but I don't because I always put off games that are heavily story driven. Detroit was one of the first games I downloaded when I got my PS5 too..

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, the Dualsense controller is absolutely amazing when devs use it. I actually played through some of Astro's Playroom just use all the features of the controller.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Why would I play disco elysium when i could play more ys?

Getting to this a bit late, but the game is a masterpiece to me so far.

Like, this is the "must get" co-op game. The last time I had this much of a blast just playing a game and looking forward to playing it more was Super Mario Odyssey probably.

Just got up to the cuckoo clock area with my fiancee for a frame of reference to anyone who's played.

Same folks that made the fantastic Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? I can believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Same folks that made the fantastic Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? I can believe it.
    This is like the least watched of the trailers, but the best one in my opinion.

Definitely a game that i will play on the PS, not on the PC. I will wait for a discount, as i usually do, and hopefully for bug fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Getting to this a bit late, but the game is a masterpiece to me so far.

Like, this is the "must get" co-op game. The last time I had this much of a blast just playing a game and looking forward to playing it more was Super Mario Odyssey probably.

Just got up to the cuckoo clock area with my fiancee for a frame of reference to anyone who's played.
    Yep, played about 2 hours this weekend with a family member. Really REALLY fun and interesting so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    I picked it up and played a bit the night of release. Right at the beginning I encountered a game breaking bug with dialogue after an npc left for her room. I haven’t picked it back up since then because I had to close the game in order to leave the dialogue box. The ps5 subreddit was pretty divided in enjoying it and being frustrated with performance and bug issues.
    I've been waiting on a PS5 patch before starting up, so I may finish It Takes Two first.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04...cial-features/

April software update, it is pretty substantial. IMO, the UI feels snappier, and it was already pretty snappy. Biggest feature for me is probably the ability to archive PS5 games to cold storage...but the biggest qol feature is definite the added option to manage cloud storage of a game by pressing the options button on a game, instead of having to drill down into the gears menu.

A welcome and much needed update all around. I feel there are many minor improvements that I appreciate once I discover them.

I'm also starting Disco Elysium this week on PS5(played about 30 minutes, it is INCREDIBLE, reminds me of Maniac Mansion, Shadowgate, Silverload, and DOS2 - rich world building, absolutely dripping in unique atmosphere, and hilariously arbitrary writing). I have almost finished It Takes Two(amazing game) and I'll be hopping between Disco and Pyre on PS5.

Of note, I tried Subnautica on PS5 and found it beautiful in a "sea game" sort of way, but couldn't get into it. I'm considering giving up. Should I? Is there a goal here? Right now I'm just supposed to be exploring and going back to the little floating base/room when I need food or water or health I guess.

On Switch, I'm still playing Mario 3D World and dipping in and out of A Short Walk collecting golden feathers.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-04-20 at 03:10 PM.

[url]

Of note, I tried Subnautica on PS5 and found it beautiful in a "sea game" sort of way, but couldn't get into it. I'm considering giving up. Should I? Is there a goal here? Right now I'm just supposed to be exploring and going back to the little floating base/room when I need food or water or health I guess.
    Subnautica is my favorite game of recent memory. Its a slowburn for the story but there is actually a fairly indepth story. The loop is simple, explore, find material, make new items to allow you to explore further. The ambience if my favorite in any game, and i think the story pays off if you stick with it, but just note, the gameplay loop does not change too drastically.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Subnautica is my favorite game of recent memory. Its a slowburn for the story but there is actually a fairly indepth story. The loop is simple, explore, find material, make new items to allow you to explore further. The ambience if my favorite in any game, and i think the story pays off if you stick with it, but just note, the gameplay loop does not change too drastically.
    Cool, I'll keep at it. I figured I just hadn't gotten far enough yet.