Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Last reported sales of PS3 were 1st quarter 2015 at .4 million sold. MS stopped reporting individual system sales around the same time (2015), so it's a horse a piece really, either could be higher.
    The 360 was completely dead sales wise in 2013 even. Highly doubt it moved any notable numbers in 2014 and 2015.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...230771611.html This was literally the last time Sony commented officially on PS3 sales, really would like to see your data saying they sold 400k in Q1 2015. If they sold that many in a 1Q in 2015 then they are way over 85 mil lmao. In fact I will guarantee you they didn't sell 400k PS3s in Q1 2015.

400k PS3s in the worst quarter of the year more then a year after it's successor released? Hooo boy you're making the PS3 sound like a damn sales juggernaut.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-04-21 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The 360 was completely dead sales wise in 2013 even. Highly doubt it moved any notable numbers in 2014 and 2015.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...230771611.html This was literally the last time Sony commented officially on PS3 sales, really would like to see your data saying they sold 400k in Q1 2015. If they sold that many in a 1Q in 2015 then they are way over 85 mil lmao. In fact I will guarantee you they didn't sell 400k PS3s in Q1 2015.

400k PS3s in the worst quarter of the year more then a year after it's successor released? Hooo boy you're making the PS3 sound like a damn sales juggernaut.
    Sorry, misread, .4mil were shipped, not necessarily sold.

80 million in press release sold as of November 2nd, 2013, 3.4 million shipped in 2014 and .4 million shipped Q1 2015.

If anything this whole conversation does nothing but show the fact that ps3 sold extremely well despite the year gap, probably a lot to do with the BRDVD player thing. I had like 5 xbox 360s but the last two I didn't buy myself... my brother forced them on me.

He's been trying to force an Xbone on me as well.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2019-04-21 at 04:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    86 million PS3's sold and they a started at $500/$600 and ended at $300. A $500 PS4 will do fine as long the marketing behind it is as good as it needs to be.
    From what I remember the PS3 did poorly in sales compared to the 360, at first due to high prices. When Sony released the PS3 slim and reduced the price, that's when the PS3's began to really sell. Both the 360 and PS3 sold half as much as the Wii until near the end where all the console sales were evenly matched.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    From what I remember the PS3 did poorly in sales compared to the 360, at first due to high prices. When Sony released the PS3 slim and reduced the price, that's when the PS3's began to really sell. Both the 360 and PS3 sold half as much as the Wii until near the end where all the console sales were evenly matched.
    Half? They sold HALF of what the wii did? What kind of math are we using that came to that conclusion? lmao. In what universe did the Wii sell 170 million consoles? It was a success and highest selling console of the gen but holy shit dude, not even in the ballpark with this number.

Also the PS3 did get cheaper, but it was the most expensive console for the entire gen. MS always kept the cheapest 360 model cheaper then the cheapest PS3(for most of that time it was a $100 difference too, but at the end only $50).

The price wasn't the biggest issue at launch, being a blu ray player at the time got them a pass on that for many, what crippled the ps3 at launch was how piss poor it ran a lot of 3rd party games. The first year in particular it was objective fact that if you had to get a game on console you got it on the 360. Some titles like Lost Planet could not be finished because the developers couldn't deal with the ps3's weird hardware and the game wasn't rendering things properly like a steam early access game. Its why people said "LOL PS3 HAS NO GAEMS" so much. It took till around 2008/09 for developers to get around the consoles issues to put out quality products and by then the exclusives roster had caught up and the price dropped too so it ended up becoming a succes by the end. But boy the "infinite cell processor!" was the "power of the cloud" bullshit of last gen.

I really need to know where your pulling these numbers from.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

He has no numbers dude, he thinks the Wii sold twice what the 360 and PS3 did lol. Imagine 170 million Wiis existing in the world, it sounds ridiculous even though it sold 100 lol.

The 360 only had and maintained a sales lead for awhile because it launched a year earlier. Launch aligned the PS3 always out sold the 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Okay... and? How is this a good thing for the consumers?
    I prefer to live in a world with Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro instead of the alternative.

He has no numbers dude, he thinks the Wii sold twice what the 360 and PS3 did lol. Imagine 170 million Wiis existing in the world, it sounds ridiculous even though it sold 100 lol.

The 360 only had and maintained a sales lead for awhile because it launched a year earlier. Launch aligned the PS3 always out sold the 360.
    Right.

The worse time for the PS3 was like its first 2 years, everything after it was great. (Software/Hardware sale wise)
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    I prefer to live in a world with Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro instead of the alternative.
    Only one of those is an exclusive? I get your argument but make sure you pick actual exclusives lol.

Only one of those is an exclusive? I get your argument but make sure you pick actual exclusives lol.
    I can't say for sure about Sekiro(it was certainly helped by some engine and asset reuse from souls for sure though). But Souls and Bloodborne never exist without Sony.

You may recall and little game called Demon's Souls that was funded and co-developed by Sony. Which got popular and blew up once atlus localized it. Which led to Bamco going to from to make it into a multiplatform series.

Like are you really going to try to argue Dark Souls exists without Demon's Souls?

I can't say for sure about Sekiro(it was certainly helped by some engine and asset reuse from souls for sure though). But Souls and Bloodborne never exist without Sony.

You may recall and little game called Demon's Souls that was funded and co-developed by Sony. Which got popular and blew up once atlus localized it. Which led to Bamco going to from to make it into a multiplatform series.

Like are you really going to try to argue Dark Souls exists without Demon's Souls?
    Never heard of it, but not a dark souls fan so not really surprising. You could argue that Sekiro wouldn't exist without Dark Souls which wouldn't exist without Demon Souls I suppose, but that's pretty far removed at that point.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2019-04-22 at 12:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly from memory cause I remember reading how the Wii was kicking ass. This chart shows the sales up to 2009 when the Wii was probably at its best. The second chart shows what happened after 2009 when right about the release of the PS4 and Xbox One that the PS3 and 360 had just caught up. You can see the PS4 had a nice start while the Xbox One took much longer to reach the sales of the Xbox 360. The PS3 slim was released in September 1, 2009 for $299, which is when the PS3 rocketed past the Xbox 360 in sales. The $500 PS5 would be a bad idea and give the console a bad start in sales. Hasn't historically worked.

- - - Updated - - -

I can attest that Dark Souls basically ripped a lot of assets from Demon Souls, including the Sun Prayer pose. I know, I played Demon Souls on PC recently. Dark Souls 3 is kinda like Demon Souls in terms with how they structured the game.

You can see the PS4 had a nice start while the Xbox One took much longer to reach the sales of the Xbox 360.
    Once again what is your actual source for these numbers because MS hasn't reported XB1 unit sales in like 4 years.

I played Demon Souls on PC recently
    So u emulated it cause that's the only way u played it on PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again what is your actual source for these numbers because MS hasn't reported XB1 unit sales in like 4 years.
    You don't see the charts? Both show the sources. Does it shock you that at one point the Wii sold as many units as the PS3+360 combined? There's a reason why some of the most sold game titles ever came from the Wii. So many Wii Spots games sitting in closets of overweight moms.

But you get my point, a $500 PS5 will not work out so well for Sony.
    So u emulated it cause that's the only way u played it on PC.
    I cannot say due to forum rules, but I can say that it ran 1080p and was glorious.

I cannot say due to forum rules, but I can say that it ran 1080p and was glorious.
    As long as you physically own the game emulation is legal

As long as you physically own the game emulation is legal
    What is or isn't legal has nothing to do with the forum rules. What makes it legal will change on a country to country basis anyways.

What is or isn't legal has nothing to do with the forum rules. What makes it legal will change on a country to country basis anyways.
    It would be kind of hard to not talk about Emulation considering most Backwards compatibility is some form of emulation, hell, GoG using dosbox to run old games is emulation.

It would be kind of hard to not talk about Emulation considering most Backwards compatibility is some form of emulation, hell, GoG using dosbox to run old games is emulation.
    Let's not be obtuse for the sake of it.

Nobody is talking about official emulation you pay money for fucking l o l

Let's not be obtuse for the sake of it.
    Emulation is purely a form of saving content from being lost /shrug, without it most people would never see the likes of some games or software.

Or you can have nintendo purposely fighting against it so they can charge for "remasters" and "rereleases"