Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I disagree. We got a lot of remasters but a lot of games didn't get remastered, That includes both first and 3rd party. Also the team that works on the emulation for the system wouldn't be the same team working on the games.

The amount of remasters we did get is a small drop in the ocean of titles that released on the PS3. The hardware is more then strong enough to support it and it will gain them more good will.

I think just because they revealed it will play PS4 titles they are holding back the juice details and I fully expect some kind of trailer where it goes thought each system leading into the PS5 and they be like (It plays everything).

Who knows, I guess we mite find out later this year. The way I see it is if some guy in his basement can do it Sony can do it faster and better.

I won't lie part of me hopes for it just because I want one box that plays everything.
    Literally the only PS3 games I would ever humor replaying that didn't get remasters are Puppeteer and Demon's Souls. It's literally a Wii U -> Switch situation almost everything got a better version. In the case of Demon's Souls that is inevitable anyways so that leaves 1 game I would care about... It would be a wasted feature on me that I would rather be invested in actual new games instead.

Hell, Vita and PSP would be a better(and easier) investment BC wise then PS3 IMO.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-05-29 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Literally the only PS3 games I would ever humor replaying that didn't get remasters are Puppeteer and Demon's Souls. It's literally a Wii U -> Switch situation almost everything got a better version. In the case of Demon's Souls that is inevitable anyways so that leaves 1 game I would care about... It would be a wasted feature on me that I would rather be invested in actual new games instead.
    I'm just saying we can have both.

Just like remasters don't take resources from new games, Nether does a team working on the emulation.

Games that didn't get a remaster (off the top of my head).

Sly Series.
    Silent Hill Series.
    Resistance Series.
    No Twisted Metal release at all.
    Lollipop Chainsaw. (really most of the Suda 51 games)
    Nier.
    GTAIV.
    Red Dead Redemption 1.

All games I would love to play without needing to hook up my PS3. Like I said I guess we will see later this year but I'm better it has some kind of PS3 emulation even if they go t he MS Route.

I'm 100% sure the PS5 will play PS1/PS2 games, Its PS3 games I am not sure how they will handle it. The hardware will be more then strong enough to support disk Emulation.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Just like remasters don't take resources from new games, Nether does a team working on the emulation.
    Remasters are done by out sourced studios with modest team sizes of around 50.

PS3 BC would have to be done by the Sony ICE team, can't out source OS level functions and would require a team of at least triple that judging by what MS has. Sony ICE team is an internal team at ND and they would literally be using ND programmers to do this instead of working on new games.

Sony definitely ain't going to make a new studio just for it- just as MS used their own internal programmers the same is true of Sony.

Hard pass.

Remasters are done by out sourced studios with modest team sizes of around 50.

PS3 BC would have to be done by the Sony ICE team, can't out source OS level functions and would require a team of at least triple that judging by what MS has. Sony ICE team is an internal team at ND and they would literally be using ND programmers to do this instead of working on new games.

Hard pass.
    One way they could do it is with PSNow. While it wouldn't be true Emulation (or really any at all), They could setup a system where lets say I put in Red Dead and it see's it as a key so I get to download the PSNow version and play it without a sub.

Wouldn't require much work compared to hardware Emulation and I would still get to play my games on one box (providing they are on PSNow).

I don't expect Hardware Emulation for PS3 games, But I do expect them to do something with it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

From the way it sounds, everything you have on PS4 will carry over. I'm not Sony so I can't speak for them but that's the way it sounds. Even more so since they are comparing load times and all.

We will likely know more later in the year.
    Its not really a big deal but its going to be interesting to see what happens to the prices of the ps4 compared to the ps3 over the years if it does. I remember when the Wii just straight up accepted the games, memory cards and controllers of the gamecube and over like 6 months the price of a gamecube dropped from £60 to £20 and trade ins got you either a tennner credit or "we aren't taking anymore gamecubes", then the same thing happened with the wii U but there were a LOT more wii's out in the wild and they were worthless for like 6 or 7 years and only now are starting to creep up in price again.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's kind of silly in the scheme of things to block the conversation, price is extremely important when figure on consoles so PC does come a lot into that.
    I don't get it either. Price is everything when it comes to the success of anything.
    But OT: the BC is very intriguing... I wish they would go all the way back to PS1, but some part of me doubts that.
    PS1 emulators can run on smart watches, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on the PS5.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian Bob View Post
    I don't get it either. Price is everything when it comes to the success of anything.

PS1 emulators can run on smart watches, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on the PS5.
    It's all about the $$, you can't just have people popping in their ps1 discs, you don't get any money from that, so you charge for things like that streaming service for older games.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's all about the $$, you can't just have people popping in their ps1 discs, you don't get any money from that, so you charge for things like that streaming service for older games.
    You know what they say when you get too greedy. You tend to lose everything. With the NES and SNES classic, there's a demand for older game titles. So long as Sony can pump out new interesting titles it might not matter but if they don't then people will want to replay older good games and that's when their greed may bite them in the ass. Which may happen with this Games Live Service fiasco.

One way they could do it is with PSNow. While it wouldn't be true Emulation (or really any at all), They could setup a system where lets say I put in Red Dead and it see's it as a key so I get to download the PSNow version and play it without a sub.

Wouldn't require much work compared to hardware Emulation and I would still get to play my games on one box (providing they are on PSNow).

I don't expect Hardware Emulation for PS3 games, But I do expect them to do something with it.
    I can't imagine this being free. You own the game so why wouldn't you be able to play it? It's not a big deal to pull out the old PS2 and PS3 but there is a working PS2 and PS3 emulator that's free. The PS5 is going to be amazing in performance, so they don't have any excuses besides greed.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its not really a big deal but its going to be interesting to see what happens to the prices of the ps4 compared to the ps3 over the years if it does. I remember when the Wii just straight up accepted the games, memory cards and controllers of the gamecube and over like 6 months the price of a gamecube dropped from £60 to £20 and trade ins got you either a tennner credit or "we aren't taking anymore gamecubes", then the same thing happened with the wii U but there were a LOT more wii's out in the wild and they were worthless for like 6 or 7 years and only now are starting to creep up in price again.
    PS4s are probably gonna be comparable to PS2s in this regard. Sony will probably get the PS4 slim price down to $150 or lower, discontinue the PS4 Pro since the PS5 replaces it as the enthusiast console and use PS4 as the gate way to their eco system for the first 2 years of the PS5s life still.

In fact it's not out of the realm of possibility that if they can get the price on the PS4 down low enough to even $100 like the PS2 Slim it could sell another 30-50 mil after the release of the PS5, much like the PS2 did after the PS3 launch.

PS4 doesn't have stupidly engineered hardware in it like the PS3 did so it probably won't be abandoned quite as fast. Which means on the 2nd hand market PS4s will probably be cheap as shit cause there will be so many of them and they will get dirt cheap brand new even. PS4 Pros might become rare in a few years and go up in price, but at the same time probably won't be worth it since we can assume at bare minimum PS5 will play PS4 games at the same level as PS4 Pro if not even better.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-05-29 at 10:31 PM.

I can't imagine this being free. You own the game so why wouldn't you be able to play it? It's not a big deal to pull out the old PS2 and PS3 but there is a working PS2 and PS3 emulator that's free. The PS5 is going to be amazing in performance, so they don't have any excuses besides greed.
    Rather not use a Emulator, I like having the actual hardware and going for trophies in games. Also to use the PS3 Emulator I would have to buy a Blu-Ray drive and I don't care to do that ether.

- - - Updated - - -

PS4s are probably gonna be comparable to PS2s in this regard. Sony will probably get the PS4 slim price down to $150 or lower, discontinue the PS4 Pro since the PS5 replaces it as the enthusiast console and use PS4 as the gate way to their eco system for the first 2 years of the PS5s life still.

In fact it's not out of the realm of possibility that if they can get the price on the PS4 down low enough to even $100 like the PS2 Slim it could sell another 30-50 mil after the release of the PS5, much like the PS2 did after the PS3 launch.

PS4 doesn't have stupidly engineered hardware in it like the PS3 did so it probably won't be abandoned quite as fast. Which means on the 2nd hand market PS4s will probably be cheap as shit cause there will be so many of them and they will get dirt cheap brand new even. PS4 Pros might become rare in a few years and go up in price, but at the same time probably won't be worth it since we can assume at bare minimum PS5 will play PS4 games at the same level as PS4 Pro if not even better.
    Ya the fact Sony has already said the PS4 will be supported for a bit kinda proves this as well. That hardware is just going to get dirt cheap to make and its still selling like gangbusters. No reason to cut the supply off something that is making you a ton of money and it gives the PS5 time to get some legs under it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Rather not use a Emulator, I like having the actual hardware and going for trophies in games. Also to use the PS3 Emulator I would have to buy a Blu-Ray drive and I don't care to do that ether.
    I concur but PSNow isn't actual hardware now is it. Also you can use the PS3 to make a backup of the game but I'd rather use a LG Blu-Ray drive to do it. Even the PS5's ability to play PS4 games is not actual hardware. NES and SNES classic's aren't actual hardware either.

I concur but PSNow isn't actual hardware now is it. Also you can use the PS3 to make a backup of the game but I'd rather use a LG Blu-Ray drive to do it. Even the PS5's ability to play PS4 games is not actual hardware. NES and SNES classic's aren't actual hardware either.
    Your using official hardware to play the game.

The PS5 is the hardware, I put the disk in and it plays it.
    The PS4 is the hardware, I click PSNow and play it.

Your argument of those not being actual hardware makes zero sense. As for your comment about the PS3 making backup's, That requires a older firmware PS3. The cost of getting one isn't worth it.

Also going thought the steps to do it is a pain in the ass.

Everything on PS4 and Xbox One should carry over to PS5/Xbox vNext...

They're running on x86 architecture... the same as PCs. This differs from the previous generation where the 360 was using PowerPC and PS3 was using Cell (a weirdly customized version of PowerPC). In order to get a game playing from the PS3/360 era playing on current gen hardware, they'd need to run it via an emulator or virtual machine (which would be slower) or recompile it for the new architecture.

Basically at this point consoles are highly specialized PCs so there's no reason that games won't be playable on the next gen since they're backwards compatible out of the box as PC games generally are.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Everything on PS4 and Xbox One should carry over to PS5/Xbox vNext...

They're running on x86 architecture... the same as PCs. This differs from the previous generation where the 360 was using PowerPC and PS3 was using Cell (a weirdly customized version of PowerPC). In order to get a game playing from the PS3/360 era playing on current gen hardware, they'd need to run it via an emulator or virtual machine (which would be slower) or recompile it for the new architecture.

Basically at this point consoles are highly specialized PCs so there's no reason that games won't be playable on the next gen since they're backwards compatible out of the box as PC games generally are.
    Thanks for confirming what has already been officially confirmed my dude. I don't know what we would do if we didn't have you to break it down for us.

Anyways interesting rumor on the MS side of things that next gen Xbox won't have exclusive games period for a few years and all games will still be compatible with the One, One S and One X. https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...s-expectations

3rd party wise it will probably be similar on PS5 as that's usually the case with them anyways but I would be shocked if games like Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2 and GoW2 weren't PS5 exclusive. I would be far less interested in say a next gen Fable being held back because it has to be designed with Xbox One S in mind, so if this is true color me surprised MS seems to want to make even another reason for me to have no interest in their hardware lol...

Thanks for confirming what has already been officially confirmed my dude. I don't know what we would do if we didn't have you to break it down for us.

Anyways interesting rumor on the MS side of things that next gen Xbox won't have exclusive games period for a few years and all games will still be compatible with the One, One S and One X. https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...s-expectations

3rd party wise it will probably be similar on PS5 as that's usually the case with them anyways but I would be shocked if games like Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2 and GoW2 weren't PS5 exclusive. I would be far less interested in say a next gen Fable being held back because it has to be designed with Xbox One S in mind, so if this is true color me surprised MS seems to want to make even another reason for me to have no interest in their hardware lol...
    Clearly someone was confused as there's literally a post about it on the top of this very page.

Also Halo Infinite is 100% a next gen exclusive. You might be able to stream it with xCloud, but it won't play natively on current gen Xbox's. Same with the next gen Fable. They really don't need you to be interested in their hardware if you'll just end up subscribing to one of their services to play exclusives anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post

It requires a bit more specialized work than that as console games are specifically optimized to certain clocks and the like. This means that it requires a bit of fiddling with hardware designed to run at one speed(for optimization purposes), as we saw from Sony’s patent.
    I don't think this patent will come into play for PS4 games, just PS3 and lower. I could be wrong, but I'm betting they'll be running some sort of emulation or virtual machine since the systems should be plenty powerful enough to handle even PS3 games in this manner. If clock speeds were what this was based around, you'd already see something in place since the PS4 vs PS4 Pro have different clock speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Clearly someone was confused as there's literally a post about it on the top of this very page.
    Nobody is confused about PS4 BC with PS5 at all, the discussion that has happened recently is around PS3 and other systems. Sony literally themselves have already said the PS5 is 100% BC with PS4 we really didn't need the lecture on stating the obvious.

Also Halo Infinite is 100% a next gen exclusive. You might be able to stream it with xCloud, but it won't play natively on current gen Xbox's. Same with the next gen Fable. They really don't need you to be interested in their hardware if you'll just end up subscribing to one of their services to play exclusives anyways.
    Halo Infinite is 100% not next gen exclusive at all. Fable might be, but Halo Infinite is literally cross gen. Halo Infinite looked like an Xbox One game in it's trailer, it will be an Xbox One game. But anyways you probably know less the the people talking about this rumor and just in general seem to be talking out your ass, especially with the Halo Infinite comment.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'm sure this has been linked, but...

Where did sony officially confirm any of this?
    Can't tell if this is serious post or not.

Cerny confirmed it with first mention of the PS5.

Sony again reiterated it was a direct strategy for next gen at the investor briefing following that.

Sony then yet again reiterated it was a thing this month when they confirmed not only will PS4 games be BC on PS5, you will be able to play with friends on your PS4 still if they have a PS5.

Like you have to be so far behind the fucking loop if you're asking "where has Sony confirmed bc with PS4?!"

Where did sony officially confirm any of this?
    Google must be hard.

First (Official Image from Sony)

Second (Official video running Spiderman on the PS5 hardware)

And finally

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...rade-hardware/
    ony confirmed the first details on its next-gen PlayStation 5 console, even as the PlayStation 4 is still going strong with a great lineup of exclusive and third-party games. The still-unnamed “PS5” console will be a major step forward technically, but will retain a few much-requested features from the past.

Speaking to Wired, system architect Mark Cerny — who also worked on both the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4 — offered details on the system’s internals, and they sound like an impressive step up from what is possible on the PS4. The system will use an eight-core CPU based on AMD’s Ryzen architecture, while the GPU will be based on the AMD Radeon Navi line. The latter will support ray tracing, giving more realistic lighting effects to games that aren’t possible on current consoles or even many PCs. The console will support 8K resolution as well, if you have a television powerful enough to handle it.

The PS5 will be backward compatible with PlayStation 4 games and PlayStation VR games, and the current VR headset will also work on the system. With new 3D audio technology included in the CPU, the latter could take a significant step forward.

Nobody is confused about PS4 BC with PS5 at all, the discussion that has happened recently is around PS3 and other systems. Sony literally themselves have already said the PS5 is 100% BC with PS4 we really didn't need the lecture on stating the obvious.

Halo Infinite is 100% not next gen exclusive at all. Fable might be, but Halo Infinite is literally cross gen. Halo Infinite looked like an Xbox One game in it's trailer, it will be an Xbox One game. But anyways you probably know less the the people talking about this rumor and just in general seem to be talking out your ass, especially with the Halo Infinite comment.
    Or I follow the people who actually scoop this stuff? From what I've heard they dumbed down the graphics in the trailer to not ruin current gen graphics.
    Literally just follow Brad Sams on Twitter and you'll get the lay of the land for Xbox stuff.

The Windows Central article even says to take that cross gen rumor with a grain of salt.
    Update May 30, 2019: Due to some confusion over this paragraph, I've updated this section. We've heard that there's a possibility that, at least at launch, there will potentially be a period where new Xbox Game Studios titles launch for both Scarlett consoles, and original Xbox One consoles. This potentially pertains to the completion of Game Core, which is a development environment that won't be coming to the older Xbox consoles, as it's tied to the development of Windows Core OS. The finer details on this are very scant, so take it with a pinch of salt. Read up on Windows Core OS, right here.