Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I've seen reports online of loud PS4 Pros due to poorly distributed TIM. Liquid metal is conductive and in my experience very thin at the correct application temperatures. It would not surprise me to find that this new liquid metal TIM was more evenly distributed on average vs the old thermal paste(I assume what they used before). That would be nice.
    Well, whatever the "updated" model of the Pro was (the RDR2 bundle) is pretty quiet. Definitely not louder than the OG PS4 base model.

By far my favorite feature are the dust vacuum holes, lol. After seeing this huge enclosure and really what I would consider well thought out cooling solution, and thoughts towards dust management, I'm very happy with this. It feels like a very intelligent design. The two biggest enemies of all electronics are heat and dust. The build quality also looked great and the expansion slot looks deep.
    Need to check out the video, but don't you have to pull the side off to get to it? It's a neat addition, should make cleaning easy with a vacuum though I wonder if it's still "easier" than a simple air can spray. I hit my PS4 Pro after probably a year of not cleaning it and the vent holes around the exterior were gross, but cleaned in seconds.

15+ Year Old Account
    From what ive read about liquid metal, its rare and tends to run away a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    From what ive read about liquid metal, its rare and tends to run away a lot

Unlike Liquid Snake

Who keeps coming back and back
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Well, whatever the "updated" model of the Pro was (the RDR2 bundle) is pretty quiet. Definitely not louder than the OG PS4 base model.

Need to check out the video, but don't you have to pull the side off to get to it? It's a neat addition, should make cleaning easy with a vacuum though I wonder if it's still "easier" than a simple air can spray. I hit my PS4 Pro after probably a year of not cleaning it and the vent holes around the exterior were gross, but cleaned in seconds.
    I got a pretty early one and it is quiet too, but it is a thing in some forums that users complain about, in my experience.

You can remove the top of the PS4 pro just like the sides on this, and directly clean out the entire cooling system, but I'm not sure if that is a viable or recommended method, or if it voids your warranty, but it is actually easier to me than cleaning out my PC enclosure, lol. It is by far the easiest console I've ever had to keep dust free, and the only console I've had that let me have internal access to(from what I can tell) basically the entire cooling system without removing a screw. It's nice. It very much reminds me of PS5 and I feel it may have just iterated on that PS4 Pro design.

My PS4 Pro is also the kind that uses the standard PC power plug, and I really love that feature(I think the new ps4 pros went back to the sony proprietary plug), it sucks that the PS5 is using that little proprietary(I guess) playstation power cord that is hard to plug and unplug. I'm going to have to work around that, since I move the console often, I don't trust that to be durable after several thousand plug/unplug cycles from me. So I will probably just unplug from the wall with this one, but it was nice to be able to have power cables at each TV and just hotplug HDMI + Power at the console everytime, instead of searching for an outlet. Also, it was nice to be able to unplug the power from the console each time I moved the console, but I won't be doing that with the little tight fitting infinity plug that you have to wiggle to get in and out. Power cords on these things, imo, should be just the same as a computer ideally.

If it confuses as to why I don't like the PS5 power cord, lol, just imagine if that was the same power cord you had to use on your PC from now on.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-10-07 at 07:49 PM.

Hoping to see alternative color and design side panels being sold. Wonder how much of a market it is for Sony to release special edition consoles to users who already have existing base units as that would be weighted against them selling just the panels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If u got a gaming PC just get Game Pass.

The performance difference between the PS5 and XSX will likely be small.
    Right you two, think Il settle. My friend which I am hoping to move in with sometime next year will have PS5 anyway which I can play the exclusives on. Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    I'm a big xbox fan, but if you have a PC, I see no reason to get one. The game pass is such a bargain
    Plus being able to use the controller on both with better compatibility is another plus.

but Spidey and Grand Turismo <3
    -K

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10...ions-answered/

Info about boost mode and bc for PS5.
    Whats this im reading? A version that doesnt use discs and a version that does? Why even bother with the discless one?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Whats this im reading? A version that doesnt use discs and a version that does? Why even bother with the discless one?
    The disc less one is cheaper and slightly smaller which may attract those people who didn’t have that many ps4 game discs.

Aside from buying the Collectors Edition of Monster Hunter World, thats the last physical game I bought on my console so it's been almost two years, and before that I cant tell you what the last one was before that.

My EBGames ironically didnt receive any discless consoles for preorder, so I nabbed a disc version
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

10+ Year Old Account
    There are people who already only buys their games digitally. Sony has data on the spending habits of those people and how many they are.

It's not targeted at people who still wants physical media to be the primary way they buy games, hence two versions.

Yeah, discless version is just to get people to save money on the console itself.....ostensibly....also, it probably actually normalizes a digital only purchasing lifestyle, so it wouldn't surprise me if in a generation or two they simply added optical USB support for BC(or not) and that would be that for physical licenses for games....except for Nintendo of course. I suspect they value the ease of use and durability cartridges can provide, and will retain their use for some time. However, I may be wrong. Gamecube used mini-discs but I bet even that was a big decision for them.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-10-12 at 08:59 PM.

Yeah, discless version is just to get people to save money on the console itself.....ostensibly....also, it probably actually normalizes a digital only purchasing lifestyle, so it wouldn't surprise me if in a generation or two they simply added optical USB support for BC(or not) and that would be that for physical licenses for games.
    True, and also partially true to the above by Zealo as well but I think people are missing the biggest reason this thing exists. It allows them to have a $399 model to advertise as starting price, they are losing way more money on it compared to the disk version but are able to recoup that over time with digital purchases.

If you look at the stock numbers stores got it was 3:1 ratio in favor of disc version. This is really just to advertise that $399.99 price for the first year or so and will have way lower stock because it's being sold at a huge loss and they have to control that loss with flow of digital purchases on them.

If it wasn't for trying to have a competitive price right away you probably wouldn't of seen a model like this for another few years into the gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    True, and also partially true to the above by Zealo as well but I think people are missing the biggest reason this thing exists. It allows them to have a $399 model to advertise as starting price, they are losing way more money on it compared to the disk version but are able to recoup that over time with digital purchases.

If you look at the stock numbers stores got it was 3:1 ratio in favor of disc version. This is really just to advertise that $399.99 price for the first year or so and will have way lower stock because it's being sold at a huge loss and they have to control that loss with flow of digital purchases on them.

If it wasn't for trying to have a competitive price right away you probably wouldn't of seen a model like this for another few years into the gen.
    Yeah, honestly, I'm a much bigger fan of this than the Series S. First, the Series S is just too cut down for the price difference imho. Second, I'm not liking the split development paths this early in the gen, assuming they do a mid-gen refresh, will they have 3 separately powered SKUs to develop for on Xbox...I don't like the idea. If I do get an Xbox this gen, it will probably be the Series X.

It's a little old now, but the link I posted above had some really great news as far as PS5 BC. Before that, many assumed that lots of games wouldn't be playable. Looks like very few games will not be BC. The talk about game boost has me most excited. If game boost was able to crank any variable fps game up to 60, then we may see games like Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, MHW, God of War, RE2, 3, FFXV, or Shadow/Rise of the Tomb Raider running at 60fps on BC. I don't think anything is 100% confirmed or set in stone, but I have some high hopes after that article.

Getting the digital version also means you wont be able to buy games secondhand..

Getting the digital version also means you wont be able to buy games secondhand..
    This is true for now I believe(I don't think you can sell your old digital license atm, but can you lend them?(not sure, see below)), along with what I'm assuming is no way to PS4 discs. I don't think they will allow USB readers for that this gen(but I'm not sure).

What I HOPE they do, but this is a big hope, is eventually allow license conversion from physical to digital.

I think the PS4 has some sort of digital sharing option now, but I've not used it. I had a guy the other day tell me that he always bought one game digital and then shared with a friend(or something) so both could play but only one had to pay. Apparently they were using some system in the PS4 to accomplish this. Anyone know if PS4/PS5 has a digital sharing system already in play?

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status...71465412358144

Fuck...you can get a Spider-Cat costume with the cat in your backpack in the MM game...and the cat can help you during finishers.

Between this and them promoting Stray quite a bit, they sure know the way into the hearts of cat people.

While i've done it less in recent years out of laziness and not hurting for money, buying physical and re-selling your games as soon as you're done with them is a really good way to game for much cheaper overall.

It's really not that hard to get back almost as much as you paid on ebay, depending on how long after launch you try to sell it. And if you're REALLY lazy you can sell most games back to amazon for like 70% what you'd get on ebay. It's only for amazon credit, but thats basically as good as cash for someone who has prime.

Also physical has the added bonus of not running out of install space, and having to either buy more space, or manage what games you have installed at what time, which is getting increasingly more annoying as games get bigger and bigger.

This is true for now I believe(I don't think you can sell your old digital license atm, but can you lend them?(not sure, see below)), along with what I'm assuming is no way to PS4 discs. I don't think they will allow USB readers for that this gen(but I'm not sure).

What I HOPE they do, but this is a big hope, is eventually allow license conversion from physical to digital.

I think the PS4 has some sort of digital sharing option now, but I've not used it. I had a guy the other day tell me that he always bought one game digital and then shared with a friend(or something) so both could play but only one had to pay. Apparently they were using some system in the PS4 to accomplish this. Anyone know if PS4/PS5 has a digital sharing system already in play?
    That is not a "system" and is technically a violation of ToS since it involves account sharing. The short and skinny of it is when you buy the digital license you are able to play it on the PS4 registered as that account's primary PS4 regardless of what account you're logged into, and another person can play it on any PS4 by being logged into the account that purchased the game.

It's a loophole in the way the DRM works, Sony probably won't fix it because it would screw over more honest people then the ones exploiting it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Also physical has the added bonus of not running out of install space, and having to either buy more space, or manage what games you have installed at what time, which is getting increasingly more annoying as games get bigger and bigger.
    This hasn't been true for 7 years now on Sony and MS consoles. Nintendo physical games, yea this is a thing but no PS4 or Xbox One game is playing off a damn blueray disc lmao, they fully install to the hdd, just like with next gen they will fully install to the SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    That is not a "system" and is technically a violation of ToS since it involves account sharing. The short and skinny of it is when you buy the digital license you are able to play it on the PS4 registered as that account's primary PS4 regardless of what account you're logged into, and another person can play it on any PS4 by being logged into the account that purchased the game.

It's a loophole in the way the DRM works, Sony probably won't fix it because it would screw over more honest people then the ones exploiting it.

- - - Updated - - -

This hasn't been true for 7 years now on Sony and MS consoles. Nintendo physical games, yea this is a thing but no PS4 or Xbox One game is playing off a damn blueray disc lmao, they fully install to the hdd, just like with next gen they will fully install to the SSD.
    I'm admittedly super out of the loop on console storage issues, can't remember the last time i've used my ps4.

If thats true, guess we're screwed both ways on storage then, thats unfortunate.

Don't you still have to fully download AND install a digital game tough? As opposed to much less download and the same install for a disc?