Alliance Paladin - Leveling

Hello guys , I never really played a paladin in Vanilla wow therefore i never leveled one to max.

I am seeing alof of mix reviews on the paladin progress, anyone that has alot of experience around that can point me in the right direction for leveling.
    From what I am trying now on some X server i am planing on going down the holy path to Consecration and playing a 1H+Shield.
    Is Consecration mandatory to hold threat and does it actually worth the mana to dps ratio ? as i remember paladins didn't have any taunt ability so they had to hold constant agro on all the mobs which means AOE skills.

Then i was thinking going down into the Prot Tree and being able to tank and heal in dungeons while leveling in a very efficient way.
    I am planing on running alot of dungeons while leveling with all the quests, its what makes the game fun for me this small dungeons and slow leveling.
    Will it be a bad spec for questing solo ?

Latee on at level 40 Switch to Deep Prot and start my AOE grinding + good shield with spikes on it.

At 60 i am planing on playing a shockadin
    31/0/20 Shockadin with 2H Weap for PVP and raid as a healer.
    I am not planing on going beyond BWL all i want is to get my T2+Sulf hammer switch to Ret and just PVP for the sake of it =] while listening to some power metal. [I know I know one can dream ..... Cyu in a Year +]

Anyone has suggestions on how to level more efficiently, is Prot Spec much better for leveling ?
    Thank You for all the help
    Last edited by PavelGolub; 2019-04-15 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PavelGolub View Post
    Hello guys , I never really played a paladin in Vanilla wow therefore i never leveled one to max.

I am seeing alof of mix reviews on the paladin progress, anyone that has alot of experience around that can point me in the right direction for leveling.
    From what I am trying now on some X server i am planing on going down the holy path to Consecration and playing a 1H+Shield.
    Is Consecration mandatory to hold threat and does it actually worth the mana to dps ratio ? as i remember paladins didn't have any taunt ability so they had to hold constant agro on all the mobs which means AOE skills.

Then i was thinking going down into the Prot Tree and being able to tank and heal in dungeons while leveling in a very efficient way.
    I am planing on running alot of dungeons while leveling with all the quests, its what makes the game fun for me this small dungeons and slow leveling.

Latee on at level 40 Switch to Deep Prot and start my AOE grinding + good shield with spikes on it.

I am not planing on going beyond BWL all i want is to get my T2+Sulf hammer switch to Ret and just PVP for the sake of it =] while listening to some power metal. [I know I know one can dream ..... Cyu in a Year +]

Anyone has suggestions on how to level more efficiently, is Prot Spec much better for leveling ?
    We're talking about Classic. Okay, so as for Paladin it's best to level up as...12/8/31. Shockadin won't work as well as it did in later expansions. Holy Shock has a 30 second cooldown and Exorcism is instant with a 15 second cooldown. Shockadin worked when you had a shorter cooldown on Shock and no cooldown of Exorcism but with a cast time. For PvP I'd go 10/10/31.

If I'd play Classic I'd make a Troll or Dwarf Priest and go 13/0/38 for Leveling as Shadow, 17/0/34 for PvP as Shadow, 33/18/0 for Healing in PvE, and 31/18/2 for Healing in PvP with that 2 in the Blackout talent which is strong RNG. Reason for Dwarf is simple, but for Troll it's terrific for PvP. Troll Priests get Hex of Weakness which reduces damage done by the target and reduces their healing taken by 20%. This does NOT have a cooldown and is instant. Shadowguard is kind of lame but could proc Blackout stun. Undead is fine, too, but Devouring Plague doesn't do that much damage and it has a 3 minute cooldown which is stupid. It might be worth it as Warrior and Warlocks will be the most prevalent which means Undead with Will of the Forsaken would be better. Night Elf would be the highest DPS for Shadow, Human would be the best PvE Healer as they get 5% more Spirit, Dwarf would be the best utility and PvP Healer, Troll would be the best offensive Priest, and Undead would be the best defensive Priest. I do think Horde will rule in PvP and PvE because of one factor: Blood Lust. Unless they give Mages theirs it'll be lopsided.
    Last edited by RumbleShakes; 2019-04-15 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RumbleShakes View Post
    I do think Horde will rule in PvP and PvE because of one factor: Blood Lust. Unless they give Mages theirs it'll be lopsided.
    There's no Bloodlust in Vanilla.

On topic: I think having a faster 2H to make use of your reckoning procs with SoR is the way to go (personally my prefered Paladin style) but I'm sure there's a guide out there somewhere.

Edit: The above was the TBC system. Slow 2H better in Classic
    Last edited by Gavll; 2019-04-16 at 05:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have toyed around leveling on vanilla servers. Leveling holy ain't great, but its doable if you're a masochist. Prot is actually great once reckoning is available. Prot with reck you can do one hand but two hand is much more effective. Ret tree till reck is best option for low levels.

Keep in mind leveling speed relies heavily on passive mana regen. So you will want to play something that front loads spells and then melees to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    There's no Bloodlust in Vanilla.

On topic: I think having a faster 2H to make use of your reckoning procs with SoR is the way to go (personally my prefered Paladin style) but I'm sure there's a guide out there somewhere.
    Slow 2H is better, you'll be one shotting mobs pretty easily. Just use a /sit macro to let the mobs crit you and that's pretty much it, if you want faster attack speed then 1H + Shield is better to tank a bunch of stuff at once and tank some dungeons during leveling IMO.

I've been clearly wrong about a lot of things regarding my recollection of vanilla, let's just go with I'm getting old and it's been over a decade . Also, I don't really recall understanding the class until sometime during BWL progression. IMO, you're not going to want to level 1hand and shield. It'd be far too slow for you. Your best bets are any build with seal of command.

Personally, I remember raiding and questing/dungeoning with a mostly ret to holy build. Like a 30/0/21. If you have no desire to heal whatsoever, 5/11/30 + 5 points wherever you want to put them would also be beneficial. Something with improved hammer of justice would be killer with SoC judgements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post
    Slow 2H is better, you'll be one shotting mobs pretty easily. Just use a /sit macro to let the mobs crit you and that's pretty much it, if you want faster attack speed then 1H + Shield is better to tank a bunch of stuff at once and tank some dungeons during leveling IMO.
    Pretty sure it's been determined that sit critting will only work in PvP as white crits (ie: mob attacks) will not be proccing Reckoning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canield View Post
    I have toyed around leveling on vanilla servers. Leveling holy ain't great, but its doable if you're a masochist. Prot is actually great once reckoning is available. Prot with reck you can do one hand but two hand is much more effective. Ret tree till reck is best option for low levels.

Keep in mind leveling speed relies heavily on passive mana regen. So you will want to play something that front loads spells and then melees to finish.
    See above.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleShakes View Post
    I do think Horde will rule in PvP and PvE because of one factor: Blood Lust. Unless they give Mages theirs it'll be lopsided.
    People STILL think shamans had blood lust in Classic.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Who the fuck still thinks shamans had bloodlust hahahah

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Pretty sure it's been determined that sit critting will only work in PvP as white crits (ie: mob attacks) will not be proccing Reckoning.
    I remember during the demo TipsOut tested it worked, but now that you mention it I can't remember if it was on mobs or in a duel.

* Actually I think the crits may proc either way but it's likely that the talent won't proc off sit crits since it was hotfixed early on apparently.
    Last edited by Razzako; 2019-04-15 at 05:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal experiences tells me that height of Shockadin was TBC. Had loads of fun with it. Going around BGs seeing people confused about what I was doing and actually killing them. You could kill a bunch of classes.

You can level through AoE grinding with a prot build. It's very situational though, you need mobs that are melee and ideally dual wielders, and an area where you can safely pull them all to group them up. Then you AoE them down with Consecrate, your Reflective damage and use Seal/Judgment of Light to keep your health up. You can also use Seal of Wisdom too, if you need the mana.

To really make it take off you need to have Holy Shield and a Shield Spike too, which limits it to being available to you after level 50. At which point lots of the mobs you'll fight are probably going to be Undead or Demons, and you'll have Exorcism available giving you a huge boost to your single target DPS.

Unfortunately, the number of places where you can actually do AoE grinding and be effective at it are very limited. Especially if your server happens to be busy. There's a couple of spots in Western Plaguelands where it can work out, but they're also quite popular grinding spots as well as places that will be frequented by Horde if you happen to be on a PvP server. A player whose already fighting 4-5 mobs is a very enticing target for a gank.

You can make it work if you really, really want to, but it's definately much harder than simply going Ret. Seal of Command is the only seal that will scale with your attack power, making it the ideal choice in an environment where Spell Damage is extremely scarce. AoE Prot also relies on you having the gear to survive what you pull, Ret is not quite as gear dependent. A good 2h weapon will be a a huge benefit for you, and those are fairly common if hotly contested by other classes.

If you're worried about Dungeons, know that you can heal remarkably well even as Ret. You'll get Blessing of Light at level 40 that gives you a lot of extra healing power compared to other healing classes. Flash of Light is absurdly mana efficient at all ranks for a fast heal too. You will need to get Int gear, but being able to wear any armour type means you can scrounge up quest greens and make a decent enough set out of those.

Hi there,

my idea was something like:
    10-20
    go for this https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/paladin/AswQAAA
    a) in order to be able tank dungeons, you need consecration (i tried it without and it doesn't work :/ even with holy shield)
    - so you get + str (there is no intellect gear suitable for you anyway),
    - spiritial focus - despite the fact, you lose some dps, its life savior
    - and finally consecration so you can aoe in dungeons with retirbution aura. In open world you dont use it that much, unless you play with friend ( i lvled with priest so i can pull 5-6 mobs and aoe them down on low levels - gnolls in wetlands are fine spot for example). Bu twohander will be used more offten, so rather keep your 2-hander up to date. Because situation where you fight just one mob are quite common.

20-31
    then go for retri talents
    https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-c...din/AswQAAIwwQ
    on 31 you get seal of command, its quite late but thats the price of being ,,half tank"
    - go for cheaper seals - helpful for dungeons so you wouldnt be oom that fast.
    - extra parry for tankiness
    - seal of command
    Again you are still able to aoe mobs with 1-h and shield, especialy if someone healing you (and you can selfheal because of 70% pushback immunity) but killing 1 mob with seal of command and two hander will be more common situation.

31-41
    same as previous part.
    But your retri aura will be more effitient which help alot when u r tanking dungeons. For single target you have Sanctity aura

41-50
    improved Righteous fury is very missing in this part. But if you respec for prot before 51, you would be very weak outside the dungeons (pvp with caster, time to kill of single mob). Use blessing of salvation on everybody in your party and try to keep mobs on you during dungeons. Blessing of protection helps alot if caster/healer has too much threath.
    on lvl 50 you are on this talents: https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-c...n/AswQAAQxzc9w
    If you crit, your Consecration + retribution aura do enough damage (don't forget to keep Righteous fury on your self in dungeons)

hurrey, respec: https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-c...n/AjwQBD3PAa0A
    int over str - bigger mana pool means more consecrations and seals on big pulls. You do more holy damage then physical (that is why int over str, but you lose some damage block form str).
    Keep spiritual focus to be able to selfheal ( if you turn on concentration aura you are immune to pushback)
    You can sacrifice some armor talent for HoJ if you are on pvp server. Or put two talents to make Blessing of Protection more available, because it helps a lot in dungeons...

For 52-60 add rest of the points in Benediction and parry or imp. seal of crusaider which help against bosses.

Have fun

I remember during the demo TipsOut tested it worked, but now that you mention it I can't remember if it was on mobs or in a duel.

* Actually I think the crits may proc either way but it's likely that the talent won't proc off sit crits since it was hotfixed early on apparently.
    Can confirm you will always be crit when sitting, but talents like Redoubt or Reckoning will not proc if crit by a white attack from a mob or player while sitting. I tested this personally on the demo with Redoubt. And then of course there's the post from 1.10 detailing how Reckoning works that also lines out the same principles.

Oh yea. I was thinking of the TBC system where you got 4 charges in 8 seconds, so a quick 2H that would get 3 swings in was better