Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikoku View Post
    Plus don't forget that you will run with tons of consumables spanning from Mana Regen to INT and you will use passive Trinkets like Mana Tap
    How many consumables you are using for 5mans?

Quote Originally Posted by Nargoron View Post
    How many consumables you are using for 5mans?
    That depends if you want actually to play in the right way or not.

But if you want to speedrun or be sure to clear the instance in the shortest time...

I mean nobody is forcing you to clear let's say Stratho in less than 2 hours, but could happen.

You're guys all trolling.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Holydork View Post
    Recently levelled a 60 pally, and played pally from vanilla through to LK and raided in every spec.

In classic, Holy pally in 5 man is very strong, except no aoe healing. Pally can tank 5 man dungeons easily. Only unfortunately thing is Ret pally dps is fair bit behind of other dps classes, not even close.

Class quests are not bad, though I found Warlock class quests better.

Human pally is the way to go!

Have fun, it is a very special class with lots of cool utilities and lore behind it.
    While true that Ret Pally DPS is generally behind other DPS classes, don't let this discourage you from playing Ret, or inviting Rets, for 5-man content. The utility they bring is still top notch, and where they may fall behind on actual throughput damage they make up for in the ability to off-heal on top of all the utility (Auras, Blessings, etc.) they bring.

I only ever did 5-man content as Ret in Classic and never had any issues. Granted, we all know more about the game now, but the only place Rets likely shouldn't be considered is in Raiding (and again this is guild/team specific. Depending on guild goals, bringing a skilled, fully-consumable'd Ret can be fine).

I never made it to 60 as paladin but I don't recall having issues healing or tanking in dungeons in vanilla as a paladin. That said, I think I got to like the mid 40s, maybe 50s? I remember doing Uldaman for sure. I THINK I also did Mara on my paladin in vanilla. But I didn't hit 60 until after BC so I can't comment on how they did in say Stratholme/UBRS etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 0 experience with private realms, as such take the following remark with a pinch of salt.

I think you folks saying that you can are overestimating the players' level acceptance for specs that were only marginally accepted before. It is not that you can, but that it'll be accepted by others, especially when you have droves of players coming from retail into classic - old and new alike.

I don't think it can be as it were when we first started vanilla and most people were oblivious to this sort of thing and things were sort of accepted.

In 5man, good at healing, good as dps and decent as tank.

- - - Updated - - -

That depends if you want actually to play in the right way or not.

But if you want to speedrun or be sure to clear the instance in the shortest time...

I mean nobody is forcing you to clear let's say Stratho in less than 2 hours, but could happen.
    If a paladin tank need 2 hour to clear strat, then it's not a class problem but a player problem.

Quote Originally Posted by collax View Post
    In 5man, good at healing, good as dps and decent as tank.

- - - Updated - - -

If a paladin tank need 2 hour to clear strat, then it's not a class problem but a player problem.
    I mean 2 hours by default for every class.

If you want to do a speedrun of scholo or Stratho you can go buffless

Retri DPS has already been tested there are tons of video and the range is usually

Pre-Raid = 300dps
    BWL BiS = 500dps
    Naxx = 600-650dps

Only Pala Buffs + Basic Consumables

Taking in count lag, prob bugs or even not perfect rotation due to various elements likes : spell scaling differently on ps like Consecration is based upon AP instead of SP or different boss reduction formula infact all ps bosses takes way more DMG or don't mitigate properly etc etc

Paladins do not work in vanilla as tank. Warrior outperform them with ease

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    Paladins are fine tanks in 5 man..... they can even outperform warriors in the undead ones.

5+ Year Old Account
    You are right, INT is a BiS stat due to paladin tank begin hogs for mana.

BUT this is a thing for pre BWL gear/itemization after that you get so much STR that became really strong the buff.

Pre-BWL or basically pre-raiding INT outmatch STR no contest.

But even if you prefer 5/5 STR you still have 5/5 Benediction that is the core mana-saver for your main DPS/TPS, rather than that you have to play wisely around Mana Management for HS/BoS
    So i'm wanting to get as much INT as possible over STR?

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    Paladins tanks have their use. They're fine for most 5-mans and they excel at tanking raid trash... gearing up a pally over a warrior just to be a trash tank/off healer is probably a pretty hard sell for most raids though.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedictu View Post
    Paladins tanks have their use. They're fine for most 5-mans and they excel at tanking raid trash... gearing up a pally over a warrior just to be a trash tank/off healer is probably a pretty hard sell for most raids though.
    Paladins are amazing healers in raids. As I stated, I don't really plan on tanking end game as I know Warriors do it so much better, however, healing is a whole different story as they're some of the best. Plus I like the job of keeping certain buffs up on people and auras. A true support class that makes those around him better.

spell scaling differently on ps like Consecration is based upon AP instead of SP
    This isnt the case anymore on most server.

Quote Originally Posted by pppbroom View Post
    But let's be honest, it's not gonna happen, as it's not gonna happen with druid tanks - people will be playing meta and same builds because they want to raid and if you want to raid you need to stay within the acceptable frames. Ofc, you can go against the flow and start tanking as paladin but nope, if you want success, you go heal or pick warrior as a tank.
    It seems as though you think everyones goal will be to raid. Like the first time around, that will not be the case and it is absolutely correct to say not everyone will be playing the meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    So i'm wanting to get as much INT as possible over STR?
    INT is more valuable EARLY over STR, still with 5/5 Benediction, you will have to refresh Consacration and spam Seal+Judgment and mana manage for BoS

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    How are Paladins in 5 mans? Are they good at tanking/healing/dpsing?

Do they have fun class quests?

Going Human.

Thanks.
    I only had bad experiences with protadins in end game 5mans even dungeons with undead like strat LIVE/UD.

But some people swear by them so maybe it was just the pallies I played with at the time.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

I find it strange to read this thread and see everyone talking about how utterly AMAZING Paladins are as tanks in Vanilla when I don't recall a single instance when I ever even saw one back then. They were nearly all Holy, with a small handful that were Ret. Never met a Tankadin until TBC.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pppbroom View Post
    Did I say that you can't? No, I said that I haven't seen any prot paladins tanking while leveling, because outside of dungeons you had to level on your own which is easier in ret spec and which is more convenient.
    And i say again WTF does what spec you are have to do with tanking a dungeon while leveling...