Poll: What MMOs will you be playing this year?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

2019 is an incredible year for MMOs

With Star Wars celebration over, we found out that a new expansion to Star Wars: The Old Republic, Onslaught is coming in September of 2019. We've also got the Elder Scrolls Online expansion: Elsweyr coming, the Final Fantasy XIV expansion: Shadowbringers coming, Patch 8.2 for WoW which has the potential to turn the expansion around, and the release of Classic WoW. We've also got Season 5 of Guild Wars 2 starting this year, which isn't as big of a presence as an expansion, but still almost all of the big/western MMOs are getting a lot of new content.

What are you most exciting for? What will you be playing?

We'll be playing Elsweyr until Shadowbringers, and my wife is excited about Classic because she never played it.... I however am not overly excited for that because I DID play it.

Is "same shit, different expansion" an amazing year for a genre when they are all titles that have been around for years? I mean Classic is even turning tail and regressing to the past as a selling point. This is hopefully good updates for existing games, further sign of the stagnation of the genre thats been happening since the era of 'everything is a wrath of the lich king clone'.

The only 2 MMOs that are worth my time are still WoW and XIV so it's pretty much the same as every year for me /shrug.

Just got back into FF14. If I can find a good clan I'm pretty sure I'll never leave it again.

Necromancer class got me interested in ESO again. And since it's B2P for expansions I can take my time buying the content as I need it.

SW: Onslaught might scratch the Star Wars itch that the films can't.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I'm on the fence about WoW. After playing pretty regularly since Classic WoW (minus being unsubscribed for most of WoD, because WoD was a massive turd of an expansion), I stopped playing around October/November last year. WoW fatigue just hit me hard, and I haven't gotten over that yet. I do miss raiding with my guildies, but outside of raiding with them a couple of nights a week, I have no desire whatsoever to play WoW anymore. I might fire my account back up just to check out the new content whenever that comes out.

I spent some time dicking around in ESO when the recent free weekend happened (as a new player who just created my first character during that free weekend). I never had any interest in ESO before, but I thought I'd check it out for the free weekend. I was pleasantly surprised and honestly had a good time playing it. I'm considering jumping into that for real when Elsweyr pops out.

I've never touched anything Guild Wars or Final Fantasy 14, so I can't comment on those.

edit: and yeah, I am pretty hyped about Classic WoW. I will be playing that, at least for a while. It's not going to keep me interested forever, but I think I'll get at least a couple of characters to 60 before I start getting bored.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-04-15 at 03:10 AM.

WoW needs a class design overhaul at the same level they did going into legion for it to turn around imo. They won't be able to turn around the game until the legion / BFA class design is addressed for me.

Outside of that... there's nothing particularly special happening with MMO's this year, so I'm not sure why this is a good year for them? Its just expansions for current running games, which is fine if you're into any of them but not anything spectacular if you aren't.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    PSO2 and FFXIV for me I suppose. PSO2 Episode 6 is coming, yay.

You didn't include an option for: None of the Above.

Also, nice touch listing WoW: Rise of Azshara instead of WoW: Battle for Azeroth.

I'm honestly amazed elder scrolls online is still going with how much of a disastrous launch it had. Good for them.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Came back to ESO like a month ago and its been a blast so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    You didn't include an option for: None of the Above.

Also, nice touch listing WoW: Rise of Azshara instead of WoW: Battle for Azeroth.
    I didn't want to have a mile long poll name.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowbringers is all I need baby. As a massive FFVIII fan (my favourite of the series) I can finally play a Gunblade focused Tank.

Will likely give Swtor another try when Onslaught drops as well.

Finally got around to playing ESO after owning it for, Idk, 4 years now? Wish I started it sooner. But I'm glad I started just before the release of Elsweyr.

I'll definitely come back for Rise of Azshara, but fuck staying around longer than the quick progression through the normal difficulty of the new raid. Just wanna see the fights, the art, etc then I'm out of here. There's no point playing WoW for progression anymore.

Best to play WoW like a tourist attraction. See it once, move on.

Just been absolutely appalled that an LFR hero who does low level M+ runs can reach and pass a heroic raider's ilvl. It's just gross to me. Why put in the extra work when you get nothing for it? I can't even imagine how mythic raiders feel as they're not that much further ahead from everyone else.
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2019-04-15 at 01:07 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    I'm honestly amazed elder scrolls online is still going with how much of a disastrous launch it had. Good for them.
    They fixed a lot of its release issues, though as a whole I still find it too dull of a game to really put effort into.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    If you enjoy the Elder Scrolls series, then you should definitely check it out. Especially the Morrowind expansion if you've played TES:III.

So many nods to the original series, so many "Oh! I've heard about that from an NPC/book/quest from TES:___!" moments.

No mention of Torchlight: Frontiers?

Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-04-15 at 01:30 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I didn't want to have a mile long poll name.
    "None of the Above" is a pretty standard option in most polls. But w/e. Making biased options is also pretty standard in most polls, so I guess it's a wash. XD

Out of the options, WoW Classic is the only exciting one since it's completely new release, everything else is just more of the same. SWTOR expansion is the same size as patch in other games, though it's the third major content drop in three years, so maybe people are really excited to see anything new. WoW patch is nothing special too and definitely not enough to save expansion. LWS5 is neat but I'd have prefered new expansion. No idea about Elsweyr, but I think ESO releases around 3 "expansions" a year, which makes them paid patches. Shadowbringers is even more formulaic than past releases since both of new systems (replaying past story and bots in dungeons) are just rehash of existing content.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    I put 15 years into WoW I don;t see any MMO worth getting into now :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance