Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
21
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Uh, ok? All you’re saying is more education is required. Sadly we have morons who are pissed because they view education as left wing. Mostly because they like to deny science, misuse words, and claim that “what he really meant was”. You know, bad faith debating.
    Education itself is not left-wing, but the majority of teachers today are, and are trying to instil left-wing OPINIONS on how to solve societal issues that don't have clear answers (like nuclear power).

    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Race is our word for breed, breeds exist; what is socially constructed is the concepts that come with that. I don’t buy the argument that “races (breeds) do not exist”, they do, I just think everything else that comes with that is socially constructed based on stereotypes which may not apply to individuals within that race.
    Some things apply, some don't. Racial background is still very important in areas like medicine, for a reason. The same way we have large differences between the sexes even if they are overlapping to different degrees.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2019-04-17 at 01:36 PM.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Education itself is not left-wing, but the majority of teachers today are, and are trying to instil left-wing OPINIONS on how to solve societal issues that don't have clear answers (like nuclear power).
    No, they're not. Again, this is a bad faith debate tactic that's used because what people learn in school disproves the right's arguments. It honestly has nothing to do with politics. I've never had a single professor do anything but teach what's in the book. And none of the books took political positions. The information contained therein has been deemed "left-wing" by some because it disagrees with their world view. Which is, again, down to the reasons I've listed multiple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, they're not. Again, this is a bad faith debate tactic that's used because what people learn in school disproves the right's arguments. It honestly has nothing to do with politics. I've never had a single professor do anything but teach what's in the book. And none of the books took political positions. The information contained therein has been deemed "left-wing" by some because it disagrees with their world view. Which is, again, down to the reasons I've listed multiple times.
    Did you study humanities, social sciences or actual science?

  4. #204
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Sigh.

    If race is genetic, then evolution dictates we move away from it to evolve not go back towards it more.

    If race is societal, then society is different than it used to be and we need to move forward towards a changing society.

    Either way, evolution on a genetic level or societal level dictate we move forward, not backward. You are literally talking about devolution.

    The only thing I'm inferring about you is that you think like a baked 1st year philosophy major, because that's what your posts show.
    Race is both genetic and cultural; that’s the issue you miss. Genes concentrate and mutate, culture puts pressure on some traits which may get amplified or reduced due to that.

    They both play a part, nature and nurture playing in tandem.

    As for race itself, I, personally, don’t want a gray goo race/culture, if gray goo is your thing, go for it.

    Personally I like seeing different races/cultures existing.
    Last edited by Connal; 2019-04-17 at 01:40 PM.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Did you study humanities, social sciences or actual science?
    I have taken multiple courses in all 3. My primary field of study is Computer Science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

  6. #206
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Education itself is not left-wing, but the majority of teachers today are, and are trying to instil left-wing OPINIONS on how to solve societal issues that don't have clear answers (like nuclear power).



    Some things apply, some don't. Racial background is still very important in areas like medicine, for a reason. The same way we have large differences between the sexes even if they are overlapping to different degrees.

    Sure, some things may apply, but with individuals there can be total exceptions to the rules; only taken on population level can you apply some statistical behavioral trends.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  7. #207
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    If there was no reason, racism itself would not exist, that it does means it survived the selection process.
    All racism really is, is bias for the ingroup and against the outgroup. It can take many different shapes. It's mostly taught behavior as well and reinforced through culture and the education system. It was effective in the past as a means to survive. Not so much today.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Some things apply, some don't. Racial background is still very important in areas like medicine, for a reason. The same way we have large differences between the sexes even if they are overlapping to different degrees.
    You mean genetic background, not racial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

  9. #209
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    All racism really is, is bias for the ingroup and against the outgroup. It can take many different shapes. It's mostly taught behavior as well and reinforced through culture and the education system.
    Agreed, and as noted exposure to different people, perspectives, etc, helps mitigate tribalism.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Cool.

    While you're over here handwringing about what people "believe" we'll be evaluating things based on what people are actually doing. Being racist, for example.
    You make it sound like the vast majority of people are racist. I doubt that's the reality of it. There are over 7.5 billion people on this planet. I'll bet that the "racists" comprise a very small portion of that population.

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I have taken multiple courses in all 3. My primary field of study is Computer Science.
    Because I hope you know the humanities and social sciences are full of issues that are not facts (I doubt it, they still teach the nonsense of tabula rasa to some degree).

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Because I hope you know the humanities and social sciences are full of issues that are not facts (I doubt it, they still teach the nonsense of tabula rasa to some degree).
    OK, not sure how any of that conflicts with anything I've said up until now. Or helps prove your point that teachers are forcing their leftist agenda on kids...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

  13. #213
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    You make it sound like the vast majority of people are racist. I doubt that's the reality of it. There are over 7.5 billion people on this planet. I'll bet that the "racists" comprise a very small portion of that population.
    You could say vast majority in specific countries either are racist or support racists but don't dare to act themselves.

  14. #214
    Anung un Rama Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    58,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Because I hope you know the humanities and social sciences are full of issues that are not facts (I doubt it, they still teach the nonsense of tabula rasa to some degree).
    Given that anything beyond data points and definitions is beyond the realm of "facts" and into analysis and interpretation, this is a "no duh" statement that doesn't help you come off as reasonable.

    The same is true in STEM fields. There's no factual answer to questions like "what's the best construction materials/design method for a 5-story apartment building", despite that being an engineering question.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    As usual people think their "side" is perfect and it's the others that are wrong. Which kinda proves the original point.
    Nah republicans are kind of trying to slowly destroy our system and congress does nothing about it. It's hard to take "both side" seriously at this point.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The article is not saying it is a polling system, per se, but just like everyone else, politiciens are influenced by it, and the loudest people on it, over people in former blue states who are struggling to make ends meet. They do not care about gay rights, or immigrant rights, they care about paying their mortgage on time, or paying the power bill.




    Both parties are to blame, from my perspective. The Republicans for making a Faustian Bargain, and the Democrats who cannot find a unifying message and instead focus on identity politics.
    First both sides use identity politics...

    https://democrats.org/about/party-platform/

    What is trumps goal besides enriching himself and destroying Obama's legacy. I can't wait for Trump to attempt to replace healthcare. To understand someone argument you have to listen to it. The moment I hear but the democrats only focus on "identity politics" is when I start ignoring people because that's when I know they're hypocrites.
    Last edited by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen; 2019-04-17 at 03:10 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

  16. #216
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Nah republicans are kind of trying to slowly destroy our system and congress does nothing about it. It's hard to take "both side" seriously at this point.

    - - - Updated - - -



    First both sides use identity politics...

    https://democrats.org/about/party-platform/

    What is trumps goal besides enriching himself and destroying Obama's legacy. I can't wait for Trump to attempt to replace healthcare. To understand someone argument you have to listen to it. The moment I hear but the democrats only focus on "identity politics" is when I start ignoring people because that's when I know they're hypocrites.
    The right uses white identity, and religious identity, the left pretty much everything else.

    You don’t fight tribal politics with more tribal politics.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The right uses white identity, and religious identity, the left pretty much everything else.

    You don’t fight tribal politics with more tribal politics.
    The left has been talking about actual policy... Like elizabeth warren banning drilling that's more than identity poltics. You also ignored what, I linked the left talks about more than one topic.
    Last edited by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen; 2019-04-17 at 03:25 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

  18. #218
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    The left has been talking about actual policy... Like elizabeth warren banning drilling that's more than identity poltics. You also ignored what, I linked the left talks about more than one topic.
    I’m all for Warren and Bernie; but that article was not talking about that. It was talking about a subset of the left, which is currently the most loudest.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I’m all for Warren and Bernie; but that article was not talking about that. It was talking about a subset of the left, which is currently the most loudest.
    Except you did the same thing you warned us against. You judged an entire group before doing research and it's hilarious. I'm not talking about the article just calling you out on your hypocrisy. Which could've been avoided with a google search.
    Last edited by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen; 2019-04-17 at 03:35 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

  20. #220
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Except you did the same thing the article warned against. You judged and entire group before doing research and it's hilarious.
    I didn’t judge the entire group, I judged the SJW’s and the politicians that think appealing to them is a winning strategy.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •