Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Do players know Leveling was a Big part of Vanilla?

I think its important to warn players beforehand that leveling was a big part of Vanilla.
    Because i think most new players of WoW are not used to this concept of leveling...and many will probably quit after seeing how slow the experience bar is filling.

So...i just wanted to make a warning to not catch them off guard

Its the slowest and hardest verion of leveling ever in World of Warcraft.
    But there are good things to it.

Because its harder, you will eventually make friends in the world and invite players to a group (remember you can "tag" mobs even to your own faction, you will need to group up)

In a lot of high populated areas (some of them even have elite mobs) you will need the help of others.

And its going to be nice seeing Azeroth full of players again

This is the best iteration of leveling ever (in terms of difficulty and social aspect) IMO

I hope you all have fun in classic.

(if you already knew this, you can comment on how was the leveling experience and if it was the best iteration or not or even disagree with the post)
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-03-13 at 08:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought what needed the most warning was going to STV in Vanilla. Or getting stuck in Wailing Caverns/Deadmines because they were fun to do repeatedly early on.

But yeah leveling was pretty slow in Vanilla but I don't think that was the worst part, rather not knowing sure where to go and quest next after you cleared an area was more of an issue for me.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    I always thought what needed the most warning was going to STV in Vanilla. Or getting stuck in Wailing Caverns/Deadmines because they were fun to do repeatedly early on.

But yeah leveling was pretty slow in Vanilla but I don't think that was the worst part, rather not knowing sure where to go and quest next after you cleared an area was more of an issue for me.
    I believe in this project I believe it will be a success

But for some reason today i had the weirdest feeling that maybe "everyone" will quit WoW while leveling...because they were not prepared for it.
    So decided to make a thread to WARN them

Plz survive the leveling experience random retail player.
    It will be worth it in the end

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they absolutely don't know. How could they anyway? The classic WoW section is only slightly riddled with similar warnings, no way they could have noticed.

Thanks for the warning OP. Where would we be without it, and your awkward emojis?

I don't understand why it seems that so many players are concerned that people don't know what they're getting into with Vanilla.

I don't give two shits. I'm not 12 though...so maybe that's why.

No need to warn anyone. Millennials won't play it anyway because Classic is the opposite of instant gratification. And most people who are interested in classic have already played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    No need to warn anyone. Millennials won't play it anyway because Classic is the opposite of instant gratification. And most people who are interested in classic have already played it.
    We need the Millenials
    This project can change the history of the WoW franchise...if it manages to captivate both millenials and oldschool players.

If its a huge HIT...maybe...just maybe it will give the ultimate proof that "oldschool MMO's" were the best.
    And maybe, in the end, we will have more content like this in the future.

I know im only dreaming and presenting a lot of "IF's"

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    We need the Millenials
    This project can change the history of the WoW franchise...if it manages to captivate both millenials and oldschool players.

If its a huge HIT...maybe...just maybe it will give the ultimate proof that "oldschool MMO's" were the best.
    And maybe, in the end, we will have more content like this in the future.

I know im only dreaming and presenting a lot of "IF's"
    yae... what are the chances blizz will remove crz, lfr, lfg, readd all the pruned spells, readd all the rpg elements, readd the old talent trees, and much much more to RETAIL wow.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where did this have to group thing come from? Grouping was bad for XP. All that needs to be said is that leveling took a long time compared to today, but it was still just a grind you had to get through in order to get to the actual game.

You do realize that Millennials are in their 30s and have already played Vanilla right? You're thinking of Gen Z but even then a lot of those played Vanilla soooooo .... Yeah.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    yae... what are the chances blizz will remove crz, lfr, lfg, readd all the pruned spells, readd all the rpg elements, readd the old talent trees, and much much more to RETAIL wow.
    Yeah, i also dont believe Classic will change RETAIL WoW....never ever.
    But maybe other companies will
    Or even Blizzard themselves can make new content for a classic WoW timeline...
    I know a lot of people dislike this idea, but i would love it.

It's not hard, just boring and tedious. I'd rather play any grindy korean mmo than that shit again.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Where did this have to group thing come from? Grouping was bad for XP. All that needs to be said is that leveling took a long time compared to today, but it was still just a grind you had to get through in order to get to the actual game.
    In places with a lot of mob density (like towers and mazes etc) its more time efficient to group up.
    Boss fights and elites guarded by other mobs is also good to group up.
    The "undead" wing on the Deadmines entrance mini dungeon also requires to group up because there is elites there and high mob density.

30-42 level range still gives me nightmares. The number of times I just gave up an rerolled at 33... STV and Shimmering Flats *shivers in rage*
    I’m honestly considering going PvE realm just because of STV ganking, well ganking in general.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    In places with a lot of mob density (like towers and mazes etc) its more time efficient to group up.
    Boss fights and elites guarded by other mobs is also good to group up.
    The "undead" wing on the Deadmines entrance mini dungeon also requires to group up because there is elites there and high mob density.
    Not really no, most group quests aren't worth doing because it's faster to just skip them in terms of gaining XP. Grouping up just made leveling slower. This changed a bit in BC with lucrative quests like Ring of Blood, but in Vanilla it was faster to solo quest and grind.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    It is also riddled with people who played back then, thought the game was superior, want it back. No way they could know how levelling was back then :P
    Aye, same old discussions as always. My point is, regardless of the merit of said discussions, I am 100% sure everyone and their pets know about the fabled Vanilla leveling. To cite literally everyone on the subforum: "Vanilla was about the journey, not the goal".

Not really no, most group quests aren't worth doing because it's faster to just skip them in terms of gaining XP. Grouping up just made leveling slower. This changed a bit in BC with lucrative quests like Ring of Blood, but in Vanilla it was faster to solo quest and grind.
    I have 3 points for you Rokpanda
    1) This is why the min max mentality is so boring.
    2) Gladly most people dont know any of this and dont have a route prepared beforehand
    3) What about QUESTS that require you to enter a castle with high mob density like in Arathi Highlands Ogre quest hub?

Spamming /1 for 45 minutes to get a group for a group quest was neither hard nor fun. A lot of people seem to forget this.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Spamming /1 for 45 minutes to get a group for a group quest was neither hard nor fun. A lot of people seem to forget this.
    When i leveled i actually saw people right beside me...and asked for help.
    Maybe at some point in time there werent enough players to fill the low level zones...yeah those people were doomed.

I want to level lock as my main but wand levelling sucks. Not until the 40's with shadow weave set until you can have viable fun
    Maybe go mage. Mage was always good for pve and grinding for mats.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

7+ Year Old Account
    Nice assumption. Most players in the current private server scene are millennials.

But go ahead and keep shaming them so you feel better about yourself. YIKES