Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    This isn't just some random thought, there's interviews done with the old devs about it, they were flying blind for the most part.
    That pretty much describes every project that any software engineer has ever touched. Mistakes are always made in any software project. Ask any software engineer to look at code they wrote 5 years ago. They'll look at it and tell you it's shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    And people who blindly believe companies make me smile. They only want what's best for you, right?
    Does Blizzard want what's best for their customers?

Well 99 times out of 100 what is best for their customers coincides with what is profitable. That's how the entertainment industry tends to work. Good stuff does well and is profitable and bad stuff doesn't do well and doesn't make money.

Diablo Immortal aside, yes Blizzard mostly does what's best for their customers. They're not some agency shrouded in conspiracy. They just make video games.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2019-04-18 at 10:11 PM.

What's ironic to me is that, as someone who used to visit the forums here a lot, this place used to be full of vitriol towards Retail WoW. With good reason.

Now it's full of vitriol towards Classic, for NO good reason. I'm starting to think people here won't be happy with anything Blizzard puts out, ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely soon. XD

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyCasual523 View Post
    What's ironic to me is that, as someone who used to visit the forums here a lot, this place used to be full of vitriol towards Retail WoW. With good reason.

Now it's full of vitriol towards Classic, for NO good reason. I'm starting to think people here won't be happy with anything Blizzard puts out, ever.
    This.

People playing the current game need to just stop with this. Both games can coexist and so what if one ends up doing better than the other? It's better for the game overall long term.

I'll never understand those who feel the need at any sight of Classic news to tell us why it's bad and we are wrong for liking it but /shrug guess that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    This.

People playing the current game need to just stop with this. Both games can coexist and so what if one ends up doing better than the other? It's better for the game overall long term.

I'll never understand those who feel the need at any sight of Classic news to tell us why it's bad and we are wrong for liking it but /shrug guess that's life.
    Yet you are notorious for going into almost every retail thread to spout off how bad retail is and why you play things like Final Fantasy instead while not being able to wait for Classic.
    I’m almost convinced you don’t really care and just do it to troll now.

I, too, am somewhat surprised that there are so many Classic haters. Some of the hate boils down to envy and jealousy and a juvenile inability to allow for the fact that some of us just liked Classic better.

Did Classic have flaws? It sure did. Did some of the QoL mechanisms, implemented over the years, make for a better playing experience without taking away from gameplay? Yes, they did.

Nostalgia is also a factor. I had a lot of fun in Classic and formed a lot of great game friendships. I probably won't be able to fully replicate that experience, and I know it won't be as fresh and exciting as it once was but the current retail game is an MMO in name only and largely a glorified single player experience.

But whether or not we agree about which is better, Classic or Retail, Classic once launched will require very little further development. It will, however, for myself and many others, bring us back to the game as a paid subscriber. That's good for WoW regardless of which version you prefer and any rational person would welcome this development and wish us Classic folks the best because as they say the more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensa1 View Post
    I, too, am somewhat surprised that there are so many Classic haters. Some of the hate boils down to envy and jealousy and a juvenile inability to allow for the fact that some of us just liked Classic better.

Did Classic have flaws? It sure did. Did some of the QoL mechanisms, implemented over the years, make for a better playing experience without taking away from gameplay? Yes, they did.

Nostalgia is also a factor. I had a lot of fun in Classic and formed a lot of great game friendships. I probably won't be able to fully replicate that experience, and I know it won't be as fresh and exciting as it once was but the current retail game is an MMO in name only and largely a glorified single player experience.

But whether or not we agree about which is better, Classic or Retail, Classic once launched will require very little further development. It will, however, for myself and many others, bring us back to the game as a paid subscriber. That's good for WoW regardless of which version you prefer and any rational person would welcome this development and wish us Classic folks the best because as they say the more the merrier.
    I mean, I despise classic, I think it's the worst version of the game and both TBC and Wrath both improved on it GREATLY. But i'm not going to dog on people for liking it.

It's a good thing they're doing it, and I hope they also expand it beyond classic. Hell I'd play through to MoP personally.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2019-04-18 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    This.

Yet you are notorious for going into almost every retail thread to spout off how bad retail is and why you play things like Final Fantasy instead while not being able to wait for Classic.
    I’m almost convinced you don’t really care and just do it to troll now.

I hope they also expand it beyond classic. Hell I'd play through to MoP personally.
    I don't. I hope it remains at Classic forever. Otherwise there's no point in having it as an option. You want expansions, play Retail.

Leave Classic as the museum Blizzard's already said it is.

Besides... once you start adding expansions, where do you even stop? TBC? Wrath? Cata? Oh god, Cata… Cata is THE single biggest reason Classic is needed, because it is the expansion where 90% of Classic's content was either removed or repurposed.

I won't play if there are compulsory expansions, nor will I play if they cave to the two people currently asking for private server style character wipes every two or three years. If I wanted the danger of my characters no longer existing, I'd play a private server. If I wanted expansions, I'd play retail.
    Last edited by FilthyCasual523; 2019-04-19 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyCasual523 View Post
    I don't. I hope it remains at Classic forever. Otherwise there's no point in having it as an option. You want expansions, play Retail.

Leave Classic as the museum Blizzard's already said it is.

Besides... once you start adding expansions, where do you even stop? TBC? Wrath? Cata? Oh god, Cata… Cata is THE single biggest reason Classic is needed, because it is the expansion where 90% of Classic's content was either removed or repurposed.

I won't play if there are compulsory expansions, nor will I play if they cave to the two people currently asking for private server style character wipes every two or three years. If I wanted the danger of my characters no longer existing, I'd play a private server. If I wanted expansions, I'd play retail.
    I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but they've already stated they've thought about producing more of the expansions onto servers, so those of us who want it are definitely going to show our support.

You can have your classic, I'd rather have a good version of the game like Wrath. And, if I'm being honest, there's nothing wrong with Cata or MoP either, both were decent expansions in their own right, unfortunately the PS's all suck for them.

I'm an IT engineer (not a software developer mind you) and I still say it's delay tactics. They have a 2005/6 build - just make it work on newer OS + bug fixes (which they know how to fix by now). Modders do shit like this all the time, not to mention gog.com. I don't believe they needed 18 months of development time to release classic. You could've make a new game in that time with resources Blizzard has. I understand the team is smaller, but still - they HAVE the build and the assets.
    I'm not doubting you are in IT, because as in all professions, there are shit people in IT. (What is an "IT Engineer", anyways...)

As an actual Senior Systems Engineer...with dba experience, I can quantifiably say that Classic is actually a HUGE undertaking with how they chose to do it -- which in my professional opinion was the right way. Depending how many people they have on their team, and assuming the team is worth anything, I can see it taking this long to get it right.

Building a new game from scratch would be 1000x easier.

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but they've already stated they've thought about producing more of the expansions onto servers, so those of us who want it are definitely going to show our support.
    They've also already referred to Classic as a preservation project. You can't preserve Classic if you're tacking expansions on.

You can have your classic, I'd rather have a good version of the game like Wrath.
    Classic IS a "good version of the game."

And, if I'm being honest, there's nothing wrong with Cata
    Are you serious? Cata single-handedly destroyed the "world" in World of Warcraft by replacing it with a cheap, pop-culture-referencing cash-in on the "ZOMG 2012 is the end of the world!" hype that was going on at the time.

or MoP either
    Okay you've got me there. That one was surprisingly decent. I don't want Classic to end up there though -- it'd have to go through Cata first, and I *hate* Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    It can't be both? You're also using Occam's razor incorrectly. I guess technically you're not since I dunno what in the fuck "Okcham's" razor is.
    "Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor (Latin: novacula Occami); further known as the law of parsimony (Latin: lex parsimoniae)) is the problem-solving principle that essentially states that "simpler solutions are more likely to be correct than complex ones." "

Well that's your problem, mate. I would expect someone to realize a typo ("Okham" instead of "Ockham"), but I guess you didn't. I don't think there's a point in arguing with you, seeing as your mouth foaming insults represent your intellectual level.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemioza View Post
    Been there, done that. Ppl i know started playing wow when they were 16-19, they are now 30+, who got 9h per day to play a game these days Oo? Retail > Classic always
    Who says you need 9h per day? I'm 29 and i easily have 4h per day, not counting weekends.

You don't know *how* close I am to what IT projects, but please continue projecting.
    I'm completely aware of the things you listed, but it still shouldn't take 18 months for AAA dev team. Stop strawmanning and think for a second. They have all the needed assets, they have the old engine (which is still, even in retail, heavily modified old engine) and most of all - they have experience with their own engine. They could've just make the game again with all the resources they have in 12 months. If you think "patching systems" or "different launcher" is a problem for a software/database engineer to fix in more than a week then I don't think this discussion will go anywhere.

It's all Okcham's razor - what's more probable:
    1) they're taking 18 months to re-release a VERSION of a game they've already made long time ago (now having much more experience).
    2) they want to strategically release the game when retail will be suffering a major, annual player drop-off while building the hype for Classic?

And people who blindly believe companies make me smile. They only want what's best for you, right?
    No.. you're just oblivious to the process, but it's adorable

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Can't wait to play objectively worse WoW
    Good thing it's already there for you to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant wait to play a real MMORPG again.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    make another section of your website for classic. no classic crap belongs on front page
    That would be great, i dont want to watch BFA crap in the "new section".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Can't wait to play objectively worse WoW
    No need to wait, its called BFA. Sub up and play right now!!

BFA is gonna be a ghost town, and 8.2 changes aren't looking to be good lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    I can't wait for the moment people realize that Classic servers won't give them the sense of magic and fulfillment they got on release.
    going by how many are playing and enjoying Classic on private servers, I don't think anyone is expecting magic and fulfillment, just some classic WoW gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
    BFA is gonna be a ghost town, and 8.2 changes aren't looking to be good lmfao
    There are still ppl thinking that there gonna be more ppl playing classic than current wow. Thats amazing