Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by sillag View Post
    i hope wow dies after bfa. i really hope the writers lose their jobs and have their livelihoods destroyed. now you may think thats harsh but they dont accept feedback so this is literally our only hope for them to understand the error of their ways.
    You want the life of some people destroyed because you don't like the story in a video game that has set gameplay over story ever since its release?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    You want the life of some people destroyed because you don't like the story in a video game that has set gameplay over story ever since its release?
    yes, they should lose their jobs. i dont even care that wow put gameplay over story, the problem is they have written a story that is literally worse than there being no story at all. they have destroyed wow as a credible universe and ruined 20 years of other more talented peoples' work. they should never work as writers again and if i ever do see steve danuser's face again it should be seeing him over the shoulder of the taco bell cashier while he operates the fryer

  3. #43
    Warchief Themerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the empty cookie jar.
    Posts
    2,081
    If they improved their lore and storyline, that alone would make me adore the game even more.

    Really it is what grabbed me into the WoW universe.

    I feel like the last 5 years were almost a blur, and even though we had new characters introduced within these expansions, they just disappear in the next expansion, no character progression comparable to Illidan, Thrall, Jaina, etc.

    With the void there is an uncertainty within the community of really what relevant threat that poses to us.

    It is like we are expected to just enter the roller-coaster and enjoy the Blizz ride. (Which we do)

    I just wish, like someone mentioned here, that there was one employee in Blizzard that actually has some say in the story and lore and progression of the World of Warcraft.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

  4. #44
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    One path
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Onvious View Post
    Be honest, I dont think Blizzard has fact checker at all. They just follow the rule of cool.
    They've admitted this is the case repeatedly and part of what ptr and beta is for. They designate a guy to go through it and flag any conflicts to fix I believe. They've always been big on creative freedom and just having one major ongoing campaign carrying the overarching plot
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    What do you expect from the team that brought you "My team believes that continuity exists to enhance a story, not to tie the hands of creators"?
    It's not even a matter of tying their hands, there are a lot of things that would ENHANCE the story with continuity and wouldn't even contradict the story they're trying to tell, but instead they just put very sloppy stuff.
    Twas brillig

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasVonTzeskagrad View Post
    You had a bunch of examples of Sylvanas being different as she is now, even in seconds pre-BfA.
    You had when in BC you brought a necklace from Alleria to Sylvanas and she got angry, sad and nostalgic at the same time.
    You had all the claims she did about the rights of the Forsaken in Cataclysm, wich by that time were relevant although not that respected.
    You had Sylvanas during War Crimes wanting her sister to join her so they could be a family once more, then getting mad when she rejected only because of her children (a living thing she was kinda losing connection to, and already stroke in her deep feels of rejection from literally everybody).
    You had Sylvanas actually admiring Vol'jin's ability to lead the Horde effortlessly, and showing loyalty to him at the expense of her own desires. All while also coming to admire Varian to the point of wanting to get back to save him personally in the Broken Shore (sad thing he died before she could even try).
    You had Sylvanas risking one of her most valuable agents and source of forsaken, just because she could not stand the vision of her former love decaying over time while she stood safe from that fate.
    You even had Sylvanas throwing her own assassination of the other Windrunners to the garbage can simply because Vereesa showed even although she didn't join her she loved her all the same and felt terrible things were going the way they were going.

    Sylvanas was always a struggling, psychologically troubled character, it was the beauty of her (besides badassery and looks).
    Try to find any of that inner conflict in her now.
    Ah yes wanting to kill he rsiste rso that she can "join" her make sher different...

    And the Nathanos thing was all one Dev named Danhauser who sees Sylvanas a shis waifu and himself as Nathanos and that´s why we have him how he is now.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Ah yes wanting to kill he rsiste rso that she can "join" her make sher different...

    And the Nathanos thing was all one Dev named Danhauser who sees Sylvanas a shis waifu and himself as Nathanos and that´s why we have him how he is now.
    Yes, asking your sister to drink poison is different than the Sylv we have now. Because the choice was up to Vereesa all the time and thus she could simply refuse, which she did. And Vereesa acted all the time out of free will, first leaning towards drinking out of sorrow for rhonin and wanting to at least have a family, and then refused out of love to her kids, who she could neither leave alone nor undeadify.

    Not gonna comment your Danuser thing because inserting yourself into a character does not take reasons from why, lorewise, is like it is. Even if true. I Meagan, I don't go there saying Jaina and Anduin are super duper good because Christie Golden.
    Last edited by MatthiasVonTzeskagrad; 2019-04-19 at 07:13 PM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    I’ll be frank. If I knew the lore in the novels and books didn’t matter and wasn’t related to the game story. I’d never have brought them.

    Some people enjoyed the story of Warcraft in the arts, played the MMO, because of this too. If the lore in the mmo wasn’t related I don’t thing I’d have bothered picking it up. I might have continued with the novel continuity, but be deeply dissatisfied that the games didn’t develop that story because it was the lore built up for the races and characters in the RTS and novels that won me over
    But, isn't that like saying they only matter because the game is loosely (apparently, upon reading a thread anytime the lore forum pops up under recent) based around the books? I mean, that *is* what you're saying ha, but yea.

    As to not picking up a game because it followed a book or not, intriguing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I think people like the cohesive whole of a good 200 page novel where the characters are consistent and have story arcs.

    Imagine if the Harry Potter films focused on the 3 kids in the first movie, then they focused on 2 adults halfway around the world in the second film, then on a couple farmers in the third film, then in the 4th film refocused back on Hogwarts but only on 2 of the 3 kids and their motivations have totally changed from film 1. Just hopping and skipping around with no rhyme or reason. Eventually you stop connecting with any of it because you just get left disappointed if you do.
    That's the thing though, I watched them (when I was a kid anyway) because it was a movie, that's it. I think(?) most movie-goers see a movie because... it's a movie, not because of some connection to it because they read a book about it.

    Now, you can of course make an argument that the movie is better when there is some sort of lore behind him but then again that wouldn't matter (or be known) to someone like me who never read the book(s). Same with LOTR, etc.

    I'd be curious how many people watch movies/shows or play games because of books behind them versus because the movie/show/game looks interesting on it's own.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    I'm starting to think that the devs consider the Story a "bonus" to the core game and that anyone who obsessively focuses on it isn't their target audience.

    And I agree with them.
    While I can't disagree entirely, I'll be with Aucald and say they have also increased focus on the story. While the quality is very debatable, there's no denying we have far more story (as in main quests, cutscenes, etc.) in Legion and BfA than in BC or Wrath. Hell for this expansion they went out and made three separate full-length cinematics; the last two out of reused assets sure, but still. That's no joke considering each of these takes months to craft and costs millions.

    They might not care about lore gnognards who go on and on about shit like Baine's conduct in Cataclysm when almost everyone at Blizzard gives 0 fucks if they even remember it in the first place. But they do want people to be invested in the story, or at least the basic framework of it.

  10. #50
    I see what you're saying even if I disagree with most of your points, but the one thing that I'm absolutely annoyed by is that Tyrande and Malfurion aren't part of the Nazjatar campaign. It makes 0 sense to not have them there.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    They might not care about lore gnognards who go on and on about shit like Baine's conduct in Cataclysm when almost everyone at Blizzard gives 0 fucks if they even remember it in the first place. But they do want people to be invested in the story, or at least the basic framework of it.
    I think that about sums it up. Hell, I love Warcraft and WoW lore but to be that obsessed with it is a little unhealthy.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Not trying to be rude but for the lore nerds, I am curious, do you have problems with something like GOT, The Walking Dead, etc? Is it somehow specifically related to video games that have lore and the game doesn't follow the lore specifically?

    Is there actually very few things that have lore behind them that the show/movie/game doesn't actually follow specifically? Perhaps if I cared more for lore I would... care, but I just never understood people who have a problem with lore and then a show/movie/game not following it. Perhaps it's a matter of me always thinking the show/movie/game took inspiration from previous history but it's still a new medium for telling the story.
    You cant have a GoT or Walking Dead level of drama in the game as an MMO with 25 man raids and people dicking around PVPing each other in new lands. There is always a level of disconnection and frankly the lore things people complain about happen to also be what they want to see. The problem stems from this being an inyeractive experience and our actions having little to no affect on the outcomes.

    TV narrative works because our investment is not interactive, its solely on the drama between the characters in the show. If we had characters participate in the red wedding, it would be a shit show in the forums. You could do nothing to stop it. People would feel powerless and their investment in the gameplay would feel like a waste if a red wedding happened. People would want to rally and take sides, amd Blizzard is doing this with teldrassil and loyalty routes with Sylvie. But even then look at how people are reacting.

    You wanted a red wedding, you got it. Now that it didnt play out the way you wanted, you arent happy. So no, GoT isnt what we all want.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I'm sure most of you have seen this a while now, but please tell me how on the one hand, blizzard can write some really good stories as individual pieces, and at the next moment, just savage their entire work by either poor or unnecessary retcons or completely ignoring elements from their previous story that athey had built up and focused on. Set up an interesting vast and diverse world, with really cool stuff, but not bother to make it hold up in integrity across multiple platforms adneven in time as they progress their story with expansions.. ALL the former info is there and the people who wrote it still alive. what is going on?

    Remember how tiny a role Sylvanas played in WotLK against Arthas who was supposed to be the reason or her revenge, yet Garrosh and Thrall were all over it.. iw as like wtf are they doing there, does blizzard even remember how much this means to her.

    The also minute role the blood elves played too, - as if they didn't care that this was important.

    They did it in TBC ofc, remember how in TFT, the night elves, Malfurion/Tyrnade were all involved with stopping Arthas and Illidan etc, yet come TBC that continues the story - poof - vanished (okay Malfurion had an excuse), but Tyrande? Night elves only showed up when the Cenarion circle was doing business, so they obviously remembered to include druids, but no night elf relevance.

    Do you remember how Thrall was awol in the siege of the city he founded, with his horde threatened, but had some lame excuse of being shattered by killing Garrosh - at least they gave him the excuse.

    Do you remember how humans played a larger role the alliance efforts in WoD than the freaking Draenei themselves, how your Garrison was human instead of Draenei.. but that wasn't that bad.

    Come Legion, notice how the Darnassian Kaldorei who have this major beef with the legion, do nothing against them directly. Tyrande is off chsing malfurion in Val'sharh who is concerned about the nightmare, and that's it. She leaves him at the end to uphold her oath to her goddess defending her temple and lands, but is completely absent along with her order when the attack on the Tomb of Sargeras their most holy temple begins - instead the class orders kick in, but somehow blizzard finds it difficult to have the Order of Elune working with or directing the class orders or the adventurer.

    Neither are they present in the final assault against the legion alongside the Draenei on the vindicaar - you'd think with Illidan returned, they'd be massive interaction.
    ABsent most ofthem arein Suramar too, where most of them come from. initially they had Vereessa doing the alliance stuff which was fine, but could easily have had the Order of leune leading the other kaldorei on their own separate thing.

    Now get to BFA, and we finally go to Naz'jatar, to fight Azshara, the night elf queen who started it off, none of the night elves are there save Shandris in any major way.. as if they forgotten all their previous work, like what we read in WotA, that had Tyrande so set up as the opposite and nemsis of Azshara, Malfurion who foils her plans, and was all about stopping her evil plans for both their people and the world. Or even Farondis who is set up in 7.0 against Azshara major time.

    How am I suppose to enjoy the lore, if I read all these things, buy all those stupid books, get immersed in the story they tell, and their is FUCK ALL continuity when it matters. They'd rather throw completely unrelated people like JAINA having a starring role rather than Tyrande or Malfurion or Farondis, that the darnassian kaldorei are once again completely missing in their own former capital, cradle of creation from the arcane, and the place they first discerned their goddess..

    I mean wtf - it's like none of the previous stuff matters. I don't mind Thrall and garrosh in WotLK, but why do they have more limelight and roles than Sylvannas, the forsaken and the blood elves? I don't begrudge Jaina or Lor'themar being in Naz'jatar, cool, but why do they have more going than the kaldorei and others like Tyrande, Malfurion, Farondis or Evenshade, the Shadowsongs etc aren't there at all - like we haven't had enough of Jaina… it's like leaving Jaina out of Thermaore or out of Kul'tiras.. I mean come on blizz. Great to see stuff and role for Thalyssra - but what about Farondis?

    If we are to care about the story , stop retconning un-necessarily, and properly weight current events in a way that is consistent with what you have already released. You start stories and plots, and you just abandon them left right and center. Classic is filled with unfinsiehd stuff 17 years later, no one even knows.. it's RUBBISh -- how do you expect people to care about the whole project when you don't even seem to remember what you write?

    It's not just about checking facts of the things you release, I know you have fact checkers, you should have people who point out to you "hey … you're focusing on the wrong people here because you have already set up these other people with the main connection, it looks really bad and disjointed if they're not there"

    I'm sorry, but even though the individual stories can sometimes be really good, the overall thing is disjointed and a mess, with little continuity, terrible consistency, and lots of plot holes. not to mention some of the decisions you have made are like..wtf.. does anyone understand conflict or politics here? Or care about consistency?

    Disappointed, most of your audience have grown up with wow, and remember the early stuff, we are no longer kids or teens, many of us are in our 20s, 30s and 40s - and you are still selling and declaring as canon your old stuff.

    It's just rubbish. you're ruining what could have been a really cool thing, for quick thrills, and most people see through it.

    i'm sorry, but Creative writing is SERIOUSLY letting down the project by failing in this aspect. Half of your retcons aren't necessary, evne things yo u have to do for gameplay, could be handled better and made to fit better in a way that enhances and adds to your story rather than hacks it to shreds. I'm no acclaimed writer, I enjoy entertainment, reading, watching etc, but this is really low.. I keep expecting more and more and more, and keep being disappointed.
    i agree, and i also dont give a shit. its just a game. play it and have fun, or dont. you care way too much about this shit.

    Infracted
    Last edited by Aucald; 2019-04-20 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Received Infraction

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Not trying to be rude but for the lore nerds, I am curious, do you have problems with something like GOT, The Walking Dead, etc? Is it somehow specifically related to video games that have lore and the game doesn't follow the lore specifically?

    Is there actually very few things that have lore behind them that the show/movie/game doesn't actually follow specifically? Perhaps if I cared more for lore I would... care, but I just never understood people who have a problem with lore and then a show/movie/game not following it. Perhaps it's a matter of me always thinking the show/movie/game took inspiration from previous history but it's still a new medium for telling the story.
    It's less about 'following it exactly' and more about any degree of consistency.

    And not just between the games and other media, but in the games themselves.
    Twas brillig

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I'm sure most of you have seen this a while now, but please tell me how on the one hand, blizzard can write some really good stories as individual pieces, and at the next moment, just savage their entire work by either poor or unnecessary retcons or completely ignoring elements from their previous story that athey had built up and focused on. Set up an interesting vast and diverse world, with really cool stuff, but not bother to make it hold up in integrity across multiple platforms adneven in time as they progress their story with expansions.. ALL the former info is there and the people who wrote it still alive. what is going on?

    Remember how tiny a role Sylvanas played in WotLK against Arthas who was supposed to be the reason or her revenge, yet Garrosh and Thrall were all over it.. iw as like wtf are they doing there, does blizzard even remember how much this means to her.

    The also minute role the blood elves played too, - as if they didn't care that this was important.

    They did it in TBC ofc, remember how in TFT, the night elves, Malfurion/Tyrnade were all involved with stopping Arthas and Illidan etc, yet come TBC that continues the story - poof - vanished (okay Malfurion had an excuse), but Tyrande? Night elves only showed up when the Cenarion circle was doing business, so they obviously remembered to include druids, but no night elf relevance.

    Do you remember how Thrall was awol in the siege of the city he founded, with his horde threatened, but had some lame excuse of being shattered by killing Garrosh - at least they gave him the excuse.

    Do you remember how humans played a larger role the alliance efforts in WoD than the freaking Draenei themselves, how your Garrison was human instead of Draenei.. but that wasn't that bad.

    Come Legion, notice how the Darnassian Kaldorei who have this major beef with the legion, do nothing against them directly. Tyrande is off chsing malfurion in Val'sharh who is concerned about the nightmare, and that's it. She leaves him at the end to uphold her oath to her goddess defending her temple and lands, but is completely absent along with her order when the attack on the Tomb of Sargeras their most holy temple begins - instead the class orders kick in, but somehow blizzard finds it difficult to have the Order of Elune working with or directing the class orders or the adventurer.

    Neither are they present in the final assault against the legion alongside the Draenei on the vindicaar - you'd think with Illidan returned, they'd be massive interaction.
    ABsent most ofthem arein Suramar too, where most of them come from. initially they had Vereessa doing the alliance stuff which was fine, but could easily have had the Order of leune leading the other kaldorei on their own separate thing.

    Now get to BFA, and we finally go to Naz'jatar, to fight Azshara, the night elf queen who started it off, none of the night elves are there save Shandris in any major way.. as if they forgotten all their previous work, like what we read in WotA, that had Tyrande so set up as the opposite and nemsis of Azshara, Malfurion who foils her plans, and was all about stopping her evil plans for both their people and the world. Or even Farondis who is set up in 7.0 against Azshara major time.

    How am I suppose to enjoy the lore, if I read all these things, buy all those stupid books, get immersed in the story they tell, and their is FUCK ALL continuity when it matters. They'd rather throw completely unrelated people like JAINA having a starring role rather than Tyrande or Malfurion or Farondis, that the darnassian kaldorei are once again completely missing in their own former capital, cradle of creation from the arcane, and the place they first discerned their goddess..

    I mean wtf - it's like none of the previous stuff matters. I don't mind Thrall and garrosh in WotLK, but why do they have more limelight and roles than Sylvannas, the forsaken and the blood elves? I don't begrudge Jaina or Lor'themar being in Naz'jatar, cool, but why do they have more going than the kaldorei and others like Tyrande, Malfurion, Farondis or Evenshade, the Shadowsongs etc aren't there at all - like we haven't had enough of Jaina… it's like leaving Jaina out of Thermaore or out of Kul'tiras.. I mean come on blizz. Great to see stuff and role for Thalyssra - but what about Farondis?

    If we are to care about the story , stop retconning un-necessarily, and properly weight current events in a way that is consistent with what you have already released. You start stories and plots, and you just abandon them left right and center. Classic is filled with unfinsiehd stuff 17 years later, no one even knows.. it's RUBBISh -- how do you expect people to care about the whole project when you don't even seem to remember what you write?

    It's not just about checking facts of the things you release, I know you have fact checkers, you should have people who point out to you "hey … you're focusing on the wrong people here because you have already set up these other people with the main connection, it looks really bad and disjointed if they're not there"

    I'm sorry, but even though the individual stories can sometimes be really good, the overall thing is disjointed and a mess, with little continuity, terrible consistency, and lots of plot holes. not to mention some of the decisions you have made are like..wtf.. does anyone understand conflict or politics here? Or care about consistency?

    Disappointed, most of your audience have grown up with wow, and remember the early stuff, we are no longer kids or teens, many of us are in our 20s, 30s and 40s - and you are still selling and declaring as canon your old stuff.

    It's just rubbish. you're ruining what could have been a really cool thing, for quick thrills, and most people see through it.

    i'm sorry, but Creative writing is SERIOUSLY letting down the project by failing in this aspect. Half of your retcons aren't necessary, evne things yo u have to do for gameplay, could be handled better and made to fit better in a way that enhances and adds to your story rather than hacks it to shreds. I'm no acclaimed writer, I enjoy entertainment, reading, watching etc, but this is really low.. I keep expecting more and more and more, and keep being disappointed.
    The problem of the alliance is called humans! the human potential makes the other races of the alliance have less development !!

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    i agree, and i also dont give a shit. its just a game. play it and have fun, or dont. you care way too much about this shit.
    Then get off the lore forums if you don't care about the lore...?
    Twas brillig

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I'm sure most of you have seen this a while now, but please tell me how on the one hand, blizzard can write some really good stories as individual pieces, and at the next moment, just savage their entire work by either poor or unnecessary retcons or completely ignoring elements from their previous story that athey had built up and focused on. Set up an interesting vast and diverse world, with really cool stuff, but not bother to make it hold up in integrity across multiple platforms adneven in time as they progress their story with expansions.. ALL the former info is there and the people who wrote it still alive. what is going on?

    Remember how tiny a role Sylvanas played in WotLK against Arthas who was supposed to be the reason or her revenge, yet Garrosh and Thrall were all over it.. iw as like wtf are they doing there, does blizzard even remember how much this means to her.

    The also minute role the blood elves played too, - as if they didn't care that this was important.

    They did it in TBC ofc, remember how in TFT, the night elves, Malfurion/Tyrnade were all involved with stopping Arthas and Illidan etc, yet come TBC that continues the story - poof - vanished (okay Malfurion had an excuse), but Tyrande? Night elves only showed up when the Cenarion circle was doing business, so they obviously remembered to include druids, but no night elf relevance.

    Do you remember how Thrall was awol in the siege of the city he founded, with his horde threatened, but had some lame excuse of being shattered by killing Garrosh - at least they gave him the excuse.

    Do you remember how humans played a larger role the alliance efforts in WoD than the freaking Draenei themselves, how your Garrison was human instead of Draenei.. but that wasn't that bad.

    Come Legion, notice how the Darnassian Kaldorei who have this major beef with the legion, do nothing against them directly. Tyrande is off chsing malfurion in Val'sharh who is concerned about the nightmare, and that's it. She leaves him at the end to uphold her oath to her goddess defending her temple and lands, but is completely absent along with her order when the attack on the Tomb of Sargeras their most holy temple begins - instead the class orders kick in, but somehow blizzard finds it difficult to have the Order of Elune working with or directing the class orders or the adventurer.

    Neither are they present in the final assault against the legion alongside the Draenei on the vindicaar - you'd think with Illidan returned, they'd be massive interaction.
    ABsent most ofthem arein Suramar too, where most of them come from. initially they had Vereessa doing the alliance stuff which was fine, but could easily have had the Order of leune leading the other kaldorei on their own separate thing.

    Now get to BFA, and we finally go to Naz'jatar, to fight Azshara, the night elf queen who started it off, none of the night elves are there save Shandris in any major way.. as if they forgotten all their previous work, like what we read in WotA, that had Tyrande so set up as the opposite and nemsis of Azshara, Malfurion who foils her plans, and was all about stopping her evil plans for both their people and the world. Or even Farondis who is set up in 7.0 against Azshara major time.

    How am I suppose to enjoy the lore, if I read all these things, buy all those stupid books, get immersed in the story they tell, and their is FUCK ALL continuity when it matters. They'd rather throw completely unrelated people like JAINA having a starring role rather than Tyrande or Malfurion or Farondis, that the darnassian kaldorei are once again completely missing in their own former capital, cradle of creation from the arcane, and the place they first discerned their goddess..

    I mean wtf - it's like none of the previous stuff matters. I don't mind Thrall and garrosh in WotLK, but why do they have more limelight and roles than Sylvannas, the forsaken and the blood elves? I don't begrudge Jaina or Lor'themar being in Naz'jatar, cool, but why do they have more going than the kaldorei and others like Tyrande, Malfurion, Farondis or Evenshade, the Shadowsongs etc aren't there at all - like we haven't had enough of Jaina… it's like leaving Jaina out of Thermaore or out of Kul'tiras.. I mean come on blizz. Great to see stuff and role for Thalyssra - but what about Farondis?

    If we are to care about the story , stop retconning un-necessarily, and properly weight current events in a way that is consistent with what you have already released. You start stories and plots, and you just abandon them left right and center. Classic is filled with unfinsiehd stuff 17 years later, no one even knows.. it's RUBBISh -- how do you expect people to care about the whole project when you don't even seem to remember what you write?

    It's not just about checking facts of the things you release, I know you have fact checkers, you should have people who point out to you "hey … you're focusing on the wrong people here because you have already set up these other people with the main connection, it looks really bad and disjointed if they're not there"

    I'm sorry, but even though the individual stories can sometimes be really good, the overall thing is disjointed and a mess, with little continuity, terrible consistency, and lots of plot holes. not to mention some of the decisions you have made are like..wtf.. does anyone understand conflict or politics here? Or care about consistency?

    Disappointed, most of your audience have grown up with wow, and remember the early stuff, we are no longer kids or teens, many of us are in our 20s, 30s and 40s - and you are still selling and declaring as canon your old stuff.

    It's just rubbish. you're ruining what could have been a really cool thing, for quick thrills, and most people see through it.

    i'm sorry, but Creative writing is SERIOUSLY letting down the project by failing in this aspect. Half of your retcons aren't necessary, evne things yo u have to do for gameplay, could be handled better and made to fit better in a way that enhances and adds to your story rather than hacks it to shreds. I'm no acclaimed writer, I enjoy entertainment, reading, watching etc, but this is really low.. I keep expecting more and more and more, and keep being disappointed.
    They are severely limited because it's a game. Need to constantly create new big bad villains that can be taken out in the middle of their castle. That's why the story is bad, it's not like they can exercise a lot of creativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    They are severely limited because it's a game. Need to constantly create new big bad villains that can be taken out in the middle of their castle. That's why the story is bad, it's not like they can exercise a lot of creativity.
    Bull.

    They could ABSOLUTELY have paced this better, there are numerous ways they could have built up villains better, avoided spectacle creep, etc...
    Twas brillig

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    @ravenmoon

    Its not that I think you are wrong or aren't worth reading, but damn, throw some section headings or something in these walls of text....
    I usually do. I didnt realise I had written THAT much. I only meant to say a line or two, but the words just kept coming. I guess lots of greviances

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasVonTzeskagrad View Post
    I don't think they even have a fact checker. Otherwise we won't have dead characters such as Orux or Stillwater being follower quests enemies, or everyone ignoring Theramore was pretty much an Alliance fortress at the time Tides of War happened.

    I personally think whoever is writing plot lines should really reread the stuff they do before writing. And try races that never get real spotlight to get it more often (remember dwarves? Me neither, and I love them)
    Agreed. It was a bit worrying blizzcon when Alex was asked a lore question, he responded he'd have to check his notes. While I know the lore is vast and this is better than giving wrong information, it makes you wonder if they even know their stuff.

    Chris ofc had proof read every wow novel that had come out when he was in charge, his successor would not have had to and may have just relied on the bullet points at meeting gs.

    These guys need to read the actual stuff they release, sites like wowwiki/gamepedia dont have every nugget, fan writers miss tpdetials sometimes, important o es too, or phrase them I ways that sometimes miss the point, my boyfriend even today occasionally adds info to gamepedia when he can be bothered to, showing you there us stuff there that is missed, or not updated...


    Their writers need to read their own lore themselves. There is no way they can miss this shit inLegion or8,2 if they did, I get the feeling the art people are more clued in sometimes, seriously better capturing the lore than the story team, because they probably are true fans.

    I'm just really disappointed at the lack of co ection yet again, all of a sudden the night elves major players in their own lore, with so many important and great characters thst should be there, just seem once again led
    By humans. To Xi 'azshari? For naga? I would understand if it was the lich king.. but the legion or their ow queen in their own Capital, and Sha dris is there not Tyra de or Malfurion or Fsro dis (which while nice to have her there, just like it's okay Jaina is there) there are more people involved.

    I can't u understand how they can make a way for Jaina, who was active and injured in the massive horde raid and has little to do with the naga, show up for Naz'jatar, but Tyrande who disappears after 8.1 warfront intro, and is at the hear tof her race s lire that centres around d this Queen, or Farondis who's entire zone and people are about Azshara and what she did and they did, are somehow u able to be there, but Jaina is.

    I dont get it

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Seige of Orgrimmar? Did you never complete that raid? He was there. We're specifically told he went on ahead to confront Garrosh himself. He was just unable to defeat an Old God Enhanced Garrosh.


    Ash yes, I was wrong there, forgot about that, but there are many examples of key characters or groups that should be involved in events set up that are completely absent .

    Instead overused characters, mostly humans are there, and sometimes while it's cool to have new people involved, they can handle it better imo, write new plots that involve the new people more, but have those connected to that villain or invasion race actually there...its incredulous it feels like intentional neglect of darnassian night elves

  20. #60
    @ravenmoon and you're only figuring htis out now?

    Dude, they don't even update their earlier content to show the correct warchief for the quests you're doing.

    Once an expansion passes, nothing makes sense in the story and quests, and you can't experience half the stuff.

    Pre-expansion events are also completely gone, they have a lot of lore wrapped up in them

    They don't bother to adjust Outland and Northrend for before the cataclysm occurs. Something they could have done by allowing you to start there from level 1 or at least level 10, so you go there before experiencing many of hte redone cata zones


    Consistency and a proper story are not highest on their list.. no wonder people think the lore half the time is garbage. only the current story matters, all the stuff that comes before it is made meaningless. you should know this.

    They shoot themselves in the foot. This is why people just go off the lore and expanding to movies and tvs would fail.. not with these people handling the lore.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Warcraft must write a proper cohesive story including all the plot holes, missing characters, races that should have been there. Better expalnations fr things, more intricate and nuanced details that don't contradict the game, but go alongside/on top of it.

    If orcs and darnassians were supposed to be far more active in legion, which they should have, inlcuding likes of tyrande etc, then stories that write about activities that happened alongside what the players were doing should come out.


    The player stories have lots of holes, these can be filled in properly with the right characters and races etc. We are only focused on what we do, but half of thet higns appear with no explanation , and other threats and thigns could have been happening alongside.. all it takes is for a determined writing team to clean up this stuff,a nd write stories that go along the expansion.

    Novels for each expansion perhpas, or lots of oficial short stories. Lots of things to explain and go into more detail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •