Poll: Do you try to buy goods made in your home country?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Made in the USA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    My question is it worth it to you to buy goods made and manufactured in your home country?
    I don't bother because half the things that claim they're made/manufactured in the US aren't. It ends up being self back-patting.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I will buy local as in shop at a small store instead of Wal Mart, but made in the USA no.

If USA companies can not compete, and I will not give them charity to enable the shitty practice.

There are no Zenith TVs, MotoX phones, or Ford cars in my house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, assuming they're not crap.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

like to see your american phone, and if you say "iphone", they're not made in the US, just made in sweatshops abroad where the employees get peanuts while the fat employees of apple get everything else for doing nothing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    No. If my countries products want to compete, they should do so by being cheaper, or being better. Not from my charity.
    This. Right now American made stuff is trash. The only local products I buy are food.

10+ Year Old Account
    I try not to buy China when I can, but often I don't have much of a choice. Either China's so cheap that I would be insane to buy from America/Europe/Japan or only China makes it.

Top U.S. goods exports
    Here's a breakdown of the biggest U.S. export industries in 2017, according to the U.S. Commerce Department.

Food, beverage and feed: $133 billion. Soybeans were the number one product in this category, with sales of $22 billion, followed by meat and poultry at $18 billion.

Crude oil, fuel and other petroleum products: $109 billion. This is one of the fastest growing areas of US exports, up 37% in just the last year.

Civilian aircraft and aircraft engines: $99 billion. This is what makes Boeing (BA) the nation's largest single exporter.

Auto parts, engines and car tires: $86 billion. Many of these are shipped to assembly plants owned by both US and foreign automakers in Mexico and Canada. It's one of the reasons losing NAFTA would be so hard for the auto industry.

Industrial machines: $57 billion.

Passenger cars: $53 billion. American auto plants supply much of North and South America with cars, and also ship to other markets as well. BMW's largest plant is in South Carolina, where it builds all of its X series SUVs. Last year it exported nearly three-quarters of the 371,000 cars it built there, making it the biggest car exporter in the United States.

Pharmaceuticals: $51 billion.

Top U.S. service exports
    But the goods that the United States exports only tell part of the story. Services are the biggest US export, with total foreign sales of $778 billion last year. Indeed, the United States has a $243 billion trade surplus in services, which is good news since service industries account for 71% of US jobs.

These are the service industries that bring in the most money:

Travel and transportation: $236 billion.

Finance and insurance: $76 billion.

Sales from intellectual property: $49 billion. This includes software, movies and television shows.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/07/new...rts/index.html

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I have a slight bias as an American but I buy whatever is best. My vehicle is American but 10 years ago it certainly would not be. Funnily enough, none of my guns are American, countries that cant have guns make the best ones... which is odd. USA makes some really quality AR 15s but they are AR 15s... I'd rather have a piston operated rifle, so I have a CZ 805 Bren. Phones I go Samsung because I hate Apple. Most of my food is American grown, bananas aren't, pretty sure the rest is.

I try. Hard in some cases like tools. Especially with klein producing garbage lately. Mostly buy wera now. Power tools is another matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always buy made in the USA when possible and practical. Better to support manufacturing at home than in China!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I have a slight bias as an American but I buy whatever is best. My vehicle is American but 10 years ago it certainly would not be. Funnily enough, none of my guns are American, countries that cant have guns make the best ones... which is odd. USA makes some really quality AR 15s but they are AR 15s... I'd rather have a piston operated rifle, so I have a CZ 805 Bren. Phones I go Samsung because I hate Apple. Most of my food is American grown, bananas aren't, pretty sure the rest is.
    You can buy US made piston AR-15s, and I cant think of a handgun currently manufactures outside of the US that I would buy (curse you Browning!). iPhones are mainly made in China, but Apple is a pain in the ass company to deal with.

5+ Year Old Account
    Never really knew this was a thing. I don't really care what came from where.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    I try. Hard in some cases like tools. Especially with klein producing garbage lately. Mostly buy wera now. Power tools is another matter.
    With the death of US made Craftsman, finding reasonably priced US made tools is no easy for sure.

No, why would I?

I try to whenever possible

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I am perfectly happy with buying products produced from child labor.

Greece is small, and so doesn't produce the range of products larger countries do.

However, I do usually try to buy Greek food items. Food in the US usually is pretty poor quality, in my opinion. America's take on feta is honestly usually garbage, as an example. I will, every few months, order some food items from a Greek import business. Namely Greek oregano. I read that altitude and soil affect the aroma of oregano, and I just find the Greek version a lot more aromatic than what I find here. I also prefer kalamata olives, but that's just a flavor issue. So if I can find Greek items, I do like to support those businesses, but it's usually not a lot out here in Seattle.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK here's my caveat, Is it worth it to you to spend more for a locally owned business as opposed to a mega-chain.

Ex. Buying a hammer for 6 dollars at the mom and pop hardware store or same hammer from wal-mart for 4 dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    With the death of US made Craftsman, finding reasonably priced US made tools is no easy for sure.
    Yep and almost impossible for power tools. Unless you want to count "assembled in the US" as the same as made in the us. I caved in long ago and just use Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What farms do you get your produce from?
    Local Farmers Market

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally buy based on quality. If that means something made here in the USA, awesome. If it means buying an imported good, also awesome. The meaningful difference is where you shop, not what you buy. I prefer locally-owned mom-and-pop businesses so the money stays flowing in the economy rather than be hoarded in offshore banks, where it doesn't do anyone any good. I'm fortunate in that I live in an area where there's a farmer's market, a butcher who gets his meat from local sources, delis and small grocery shops galore, and a family-owned nerdy-goods store (games, tabletop rulebooks, dice, and related paraphernalia and merch), so I can do all my shopping without compromising that 'keep it local' preference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    OK here's my caveat, Is it worth it to you to spend more for a locally owned business as opposed to a mega-chain.

Ex. Buying a hammer for 6 dollars at the mom and pop hardware store or same hammer from wal-mart for 4 dollars?
    I'll happily spend a couple more bucks at Joe Local's Auto Shop to get headlight bulbs versus hitting up Walmart, but again, I'm lucky in that I live in an area with a lot of locally-owned stores that haven't been driven under by chain retailers, and they keep their prices fair enough that I don't mind the little bit more it costs.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!